CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Turks and Caicos here, but definitely seeing the appeal in keeping it domestics. 

Got two kids under 3. Two days two nights is about all we can manage for the next few years. The point of my post is basically telling you and your Turks and Caicos to go fuck yourself
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Got two kids under 3. Two days two nights is about all we can manage for the next few years. The point of my post is basically telling you and your Turks and Caicos to go fuck yourself

Sorry bro. It’s gets better. Last time we left the kids at home with the in laws but now we are ready to roll out in force. 

• Like 1

We are stumbling around in the medium sized European country I live. Despite one of the highest infection rates in the EU, collapsing  ICU availability, and the highest mortality rate since 1945 (hmmmm...what was happening then), a small party has announced they will no longer support an extension of emergency because—- the government refused to open ski resorts. If it expires, basically all the preventative measures save for border controls and public transportation masks go *poof* because there’s no legal authority.

And that means that normal opposition parties, which have largely been able to symbolically oppose the extensions of emergency, have to either bite the bullet and behave responsibly or accept a collapse in health care. So open question. 

So Americans aren’t the only ones capable of screwing this up.

We are stumbling around in the medium sized European country I live. Despite one of the highest infection rates in the EU, collapsing  ICU availability, and the highest mortality rate since 1945 (hmmmm...what was happening then), a small party has announced they will no longer support an extension of emergency because—- the government refused to open ski resorts. If it expires, basically all the preventative measures save for border controls and public transportation masks go *poof* because there’s no legal authority.

And that means that normal opposition parties, which have largely been able to symbolically oppose the extensions of emergency, have to either bite the bullet and behave responsibly or accept a collapse in health care. So open question. 

So Americans aren’t the only ones capable of screwing this up.

What starts here infects the world?
  • Like 1

PFE cutting production time almost by half as they optimize production lines.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/02/07/pfizer-expects-cut-covid-19-vaccine-production-time-almost-50/4423251001/

Pfizer expects to nearly cut in half the amount of time it takes to produce a batch of COVID-19 vaccine from 110 days to an average of 60 as it makes the process more efficient and production is built out, the company told USA TODAY.

As the nation revs up its vaccination programs, the increase could help relieve bottlenecks caused by vaccine shortages.

"We call this 'Project Light Speed,' and it's called that for a reason," said Chaz Calitri, Pfizer's vice president for operations for sterile injectables, who runs the company's plant in Kalamazoo, Michigan. "Just in the last month we've doubled output."

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

How big of a deal is it that Astrazeneca doesn't protect against the South African variant?

I think a correct answer would be “we don’t know yet, but probably not that big a deal”

The AZ study in South Africa showed no difference between placebo and vaccine in protecting against mild or moderate infections.  So, I’m sure your next question is how it did against things we REALLY care about like severe infections, hospitalizations, and death.  But the problem is the study wasn’t looking at that. They only enrolled younger people and didn’t have any hospitalizations or death.  

This article by Anne Applebaum seems to me spot on based on what I hear from my parents about trying to get vaccinated.  The issue isn't that making vaccines is hard, or that we should be surprised that we can't snap our fingers and get 330 million made and injected on a crazy timeframe-- it's that the system of distributing is just completely rickety and Kafka-esque. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/americas-soviet-style-vaccine-rollout/617942/

If you are the child of elderly parents in parts of the United States right now, and if you are trying to get them a COVID-19 vaccine, you are living in a shortage economy, a world of queues and rumors, a shadowy land of favoritism and incompetence—a world not unlike the world of the very late, very stifling, Brezhnev-era Soviet Union.

I get that states are supposed to have a system: Like others, Maryland’s website solemnly lists the various categories of people who are approved to receive the vaccine, and in what order. Like everywhere else, state officials are talking a lot about equity—the need to make sure that poorer communities are getting vaccinated. But this is like the propaganda in Pravda that showed gleaming shops with packed shelves when everyone knew they were empty. In practice, the people who are getting the vaccine first are the ones in the right health-care or hospital groups, the ones who can spend the day clicking links, the ones who are really fast at filling out forms. Supermarket pharmacies and busy hospitals have been left to navigate the mismatch between supply and demand; anyone without a computer or an internet connection is in big trouble. The result is no more fair or logical than an old-fashioned Moscow queue for cabbage.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I would like to see the % infection rate in Congress (House & Senate) broken down by party.  Seems like that might be instructive.

As of Jan. 14, 44 Republicans and 16 Democrats . And of those 16 Dems, four contracted Covid after being stuck in a room on 1/6 with Republicans who refused to wear masks.  https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210114/61-member-of-congress-have-tested-positive

Edited by lemonlime
broken link
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

As of Jan. 14, 44 Republicans and 16 Democrats . And of those 16 Dems, four contracted Covid after being stuck in a room on 1/6 with Republicans who refused to wear masks.  https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210114/61-member-of-congress-have-tested-positive

Looks like one more of each (at least) based on Rep. Wright's reporting a + test on 1/21, along with a reference in the article to Rep. Espaillat (D).  45/62 (72.6%) Republican, depending on other unreported cases.  Shocking, I'm sure.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I would like to see the % infection rate in Congress (House & Senate) broken down by party.  Seems like that might be instructive.

At Texags, they are always wondering incredulously why so many GOP members get infected compared to Dem members. They ignore the obvious, and focus on conspiracy theories.