CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

I know this is anecdotal and I’m probably biased but I was put in charge of managing our school system employees clinic and it is running like clockwork.

It’s so gratifying to see how thankful all these teachers and bus drivers and school staff are.

It’s very rewarding and seems like a small light at the end of this long tunnel of nightmare!

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

At Texags, they are always wondering incredulously why so many GOP members get infected compared to Dem members. They ignore the obvious, and focus on conspiracy theories.

This is a very complicated case, dude. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, WBT said:

It wasn't avoidable.  We could have done marginally better but go look at deaths per capita in western Europe.  We're not some huge outlier.

Well I guess that's true.  As long as you discount the fact we were an ocean away. That we flew folks back from Wuhan t evacuate them and had PPP removed for optics. And we pretend that Americans could not have wrapped their faces with a covering, which according to the CDC reduced transmission rates by around 70%.  We can also pretend that our President did not PURPOSEFULLY AND SPECIFICALLY use mask wearing as a way to divide Americans without regard for the public's health.  We also need to say that while our science is great, and we can do most anything the one thing we did not want to do is any tracking of the virus.  It was better not to test, because that's how cases are counted....  and on and on and on....

What a fucking dumb assertion.

So here is my current snapshot on how things are going from the little insight I have.  From the Nursing home perspective the progress is slow and steady.  There have of course been complaints, but you have to realize the coordination without any federal assistance in logistics was difficult to say the least.  But the shots are getting in the arms, and now the flow of vaccine seems to be at a point where clinics are not longer having to be cancelled due to erratic supply.  That's a biggie because it is more than just CVS or Walgreens (and hopefully more soon) having to coordinate for clinics that were being cancelled.  It was the entire staff and the patients trying to coordinate.  Along with the hopes and prayers of family members being dashed with each cancellation.  I think the Long term Care side of things is progressing pretty well now and the more supply the quicker the most vulnerable will be at least somewhat protected.  One interesting side effect of covid is going to be more strains of antibiotic resistant bacteria due to the use of more antibacterial agents, and mutations in that environment. Just an interesting side note.

I guess the best thing about the situation right now.  Is that smart people, that give a shit and understand science can now get accurate information via the news and the Biden administration.  The hole Biden inherited is not going to dug out of quickly but all signs are pointing to more supply more quickly that was expected a few weeks ago.  Pfizer for example today said their production time nearly in half.  Abbott soon to be approved (my assumption) and the supply side is moving not as fast as any of us would wish, but more supply and predictability can only help to gradually increase the shots per day.  I don't think the current administration could have done much more than they have to this point from the supply side, and I think they will do even more a month from now.

I am still very worried about the variants.  But the assumption by most scientists is that there should still be a pretty good immune response.  And it appears that the engineering potential for the RNA vaccines to be modified for variants and boosters may be relatively quick to develop. And with the government fully behind production here again, my hope is that while we may not catch up we can reduce the illness and hospitalization to finally give some relief to our healthcare workers.  The have been battling and surrounded by death with no relief in sight for so long that the glimmer here is like a lifeline.

I drove my in-laws down to get their second dose the other day, and I again got lucky and got one as well.  Apparently because they and I got the extra doses after that snow day, we were able to get the extra doses in the next batch.  The main thing for us for the past year was simply not trying to accidentally kill my wife's parents.  Knowing that shortly they will have some degree of immunity against all the strains.  My parents haven't gotten a first dose and are 89 and 85 but I am hoping that soon with the supply smoothing out Scott and White will get them an opportunity again. (they missed one chance). I can't help it, I feel guilty for even getting a first dose, much less a second, but better to not leave me half dosed and potentially a host for a more adaptable mutant. The pharmacist made me feel better saying again the dose would have been wasted in about 20 more minutes.  So I guess it is what it is.  We got the dose at 25 instead of 28 days, to try and not have walgreens leave us half vaccinated.  I got a pretty good immune response )moderna) and I ran f fever that went up to 100.9 briefly and stayed above 100.3 most of the next day.  One weird thing three days later is I have a red area, not raised just red and few degrees warmer skin a few inches below the injection point.  I purposefully did not take anything to see exactly what my immune response was, so I could tell other folks. I sort of just laid around and napped later in the day.  I imagine had I taken some Tylenol, I would have just felt a hair sluggish.  I did notice some joint stiffness and my neck was more creaking and graveling sounding than usual (years of soccer headers).  My older in-laws had some discomfort but not bad as they took Tylenol. And as I joked with my wife, they have enough regular aches and pains to where the addition of vaccine discomfort is probably so slight a change as to be hardly noticeable.  

DO NOT take ibruprophen! 

A study published in the Journal of Virology found that nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, can reduce the production of antibodies. Pain relievers may reduce inflammation triggered by the immune system, according to USA Today

Overall my level of doom and gloom about not being able to outrun the mutations is a hair less, as I have seen and heard about the improved predictability of supply my optimism has increased.  At least incrementally. At the same time I look at pictures of dumbasses out in maskless masses celebrating a football game screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs at a camera, and I fucking scratch my head.  The first dead Republican sitting federal elected representative died today, sadly to no surprise he was from Texas.  Condolences to the family of Representative Wright.

16 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

As of this week, the virus has killed the equivalent of the populations of Virginia Beach or Long Beach. So much drama in the LBC.

In a couple of days it will wipe out the equivalent of Miami. 

Will that be the first city population hit that has all 3 of the major American sports pro teams?

• Fuck You 2

Freestanding Texas Emergency Rooms charging thousands of dollars for Covid Tests:

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/04/corononavirus-test-emergency-room/?utm_campaign=trib-social&utm_content=1612465356&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Just FUCK these FUCKING FUCKERS!  "Oh, don't worry, we won't charge you, we'll charge your insurance company."  

Good Lord!  I hope they all just get napalmed. 

11 hours ago, Parliament said:

How many countries experienced a population DROP last year? Legitimately curious.

Doubtful that any of those data are available as of yet, but this is a great set of charts showing excess deaths throughout the year by country.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

Doubtful that any of those data are available as of yet, but this is a great set of charts showing excess deaths throughout the year by country.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html
Damn. What a dataset. It appears there's a pattern with countries that are well above their expected. Either third world or an authoritarian state. Oh, and us.

Those visualizations are kind of a beating given that the y axis is not population adjusted or normalized to something like a p score, and therefore the scale is all over the place.  I am not sure how you can really make meaningful comparisons across countries with those graphs.

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Those visualizations are kind of a beating given that the y axis is not population adjusted or normalized to something like a p score, and therefore the scale is all over the place.  I am not sure how you can really make meaningful comparisons across countries with those graphs.

I understand your complaint, but the little text box for each country says what the average weekly deaths are for each country's individual chart. You can also scroll down to the table at the bottom of the page for the underlying data. But, still, yes, if you're trying to compare the percentage increase of each country to another one, your link does a much better job at that. I think the NYTimes one is better for just an overview of trends from country-to-country. It's easier to quickly identify the aberrations at just a glance, and then getting into the weeds of the data later.

Btw, thanks for the link. I know you've posted it before (months ago when there was more debate on whether we were handling this well), but I had forgotten about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I think the NYTimes one is better for just an overview of trends from country-to-country.

I agree, the visualizations are aesthetically very well put together and do allow for a sense of timing of various waves on a common scale of time. NYT has done a nice job with their data visualizations generally. Those data just don't really lend themselves to valid comparisons of excess mortality over time, which is what I was really responding to.  

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:
2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Damn. What a dataset. It appears there's a pattern with countries that are well above their expected. Either third world or an authoritarian state. Oh, and us.

You covered us with authoritarian state. No need to add the last sentence. 

Oooohhhh doggie.

Folks ain’t lying when they say that second Moderna shot can make you feel like crap.

100.1 fever (I normally run around 97.5 to 98), severe body aches and chills, and my nose is completely stopped up.

And I have to work the last day of the school vaccine clinic this morning.

Thank god it’s only a half day. I was going to go furniture shopping for my new bachelorette pad but fuck that. I’m coming home and going to bed.

Ughhhhhhh I feel like hammered ass crack.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2