CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

And we'll have booster shots by then on top of the 600M doses by the summer.  Why should we keep wearings masks and having restrictions at that point?

Wait . . . you're expecting over 90% of Americans to get vaccinated?  I find that highly improbable, especially by summer.

Even if none of those are single-dose J&J vaccinations, that's 91% distribution.  With the J&J shots, that number goes up.  It's my understanding that we'll be lucky if 70% of Americans actually step up.

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Love that song, @Anastasis.  A friend of mine had the great fortune to be taken under Guy's wing the last few years of his life.  Guy passed on a bunch of wisdom about writing songs, building guitars, and . . . everything else.

I'm listening to Guy and Townes flip a coin over who plays first in the San Francisco music hall. Have not heard this recording before. Your friend was a very fortunate fellow. 

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . you're expecting over 90% of Americans to get vaccinated?  I find that highly improbable, especially by summer.

Even if none of those are single-dose J&J vaccinations, that's 91% distribution.  With the J&J shots, that number goes up.  It's my understanding that we'll be lucky if 70% of Americans actually step up.

No and if they get covid and die, they die to quote Drago.

These viruses are just going to become fiercer and more frequent, unfortunately.   Because enough people are essentially stupid.  I've read several articles that propose we may never be entirely rid of masks.  Like southeast Asia after SARS.  

Thanks for that and fuck white footed mice.

4 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Well then that’s a dumb standard.

Kids aren’t going to be vaccinated for at least a year and barring some wild variants, we will have achieved some level of herd immunity by this summer at the latest. 

Not to mention the questionable utility of actually vaccinating children. 

Since the costs of wearing a mask are extremely low and the benefits are extremely high, it makes sense to me to keep the mask mandate until they no longer serve a useful purpose. I assume you'll disagree with that based on ideology.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

These viruses are just going to become fiercer and more frequent, unfortunately.   Because enough people are essentially stupid.  I've read several articles that propose we may never be entirely rid of masks.  Like southeast Asia after SARS.  

I’m fucking sick of masks like pretty much everyone, but I wouldn’t mind if there was some mandate where you have to wear masks in grocery stores and whatnot during flu season so we don’t have to worry about some filthy snot nosed kid sneezing all over the produce section 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

to GRHorn's last post-------If you don't believe in the credible evidence about mask usage mitigating the shit out of this thing for the last 10 months, it's for the simple reason that you have seen the evidence...you just choose not to believe it.  There are mountains of it.  Half of which is from links contained on this site.  14 months in, if you don't think people breathing and speaking onto one another in closed spaces doesn't spread this thing and could have mitigated, then that's on you.  

Putting something on the faces of old, fat people to keep their shit from spewing everywhere...that's just crazy leftist talk?  But injecting the human body with bleach, "Yeah...Science Bitch!"  ???

Edited by Lobo

45 minutes ago, Lobo said:

to GRHorn's last post-------If you don't believe in the credible evidence about mask usage mitigating the shit out of this thing for the last 10 months, it's for the simple reason that you have seen the evidence...you just choose not to believe it.  There are mountains of it.  Half of which is from links contained on this site.  14 months in, if you don't think people breathing and speaking onto one another in closed spaces doesn't spread this thing and could have mitigated, then that's on you.  

Putting something on the faces of old, fat people to keep their shit from spewing everywhere...that's just crazy leftist talk?  But injecting the human body with bleach, "Yeah...Science Bitch!"  ???

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I dunno, why don't you google it if you're curious?

Narrator:  you're not curious.   You already know.  Your politics override any common sense you might have. 

I think masks help. I wear them.

I was responding to your specific claim that with universal mask usage we could’ve already reopened. I’m a bit skeptical of that because we are already close to universal mask usage, but whatever.  

There was also a claim here yesterday that masks have eradicated the flu. I asked where they got that from too.  Crickets. 

YoU CanT HaNdLe Cr. WE bRinG tHE FacTs heRe

15 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I think masks help. I wear them.

I was responding to your specific claim that with universal mask usage we could’ve already reopened. I’m a bit skeptical of that because we are already close to universal mask usage, but whatever.  

There was also a claim here yesterday that masks have eradicated the flu. I asked where they got that from too.  Crickets. 

YoU CanT HaNdLe Cr. WE bRinG tHE FacTs heRe

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/first-randomized-control-trial-shows-face-masks-did-not-reduce-coronavirus-infections-with-statistical-significance

The study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, concluded that the “recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use.”

“Recommendation to wear a surgical mask when outside the home among others did not reduce, at conventional levels of statistical significance, incident SARS-CoV-2 infection compared with no mask recommendation.”

Just now, GRHorn said:

Where do you see people not wearing masks when they should? Where do you live? I’m in a red area and everybody has masks on at HEB. Walking into restaurants. 

I travel all over Texas for youth sports.  I'd say I see less than 50% mask usage.  This includes indoors in some places where I have no choice (bathroom stops, food breaks, etc.).

We have nowhere close to universal mask usage.  It's literally a rallying cry amongst Trumpkins -- no mask!  my freedom!

Stop it with your bullshit.  Nobody thinks it's funny, nobody thinks you're serious, and nobody thinks you're honest.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Grocery stores are close to 100% in my area although there are still the random tough guys who stick it to the man. My work has 100% compliance, but we don't have to wear them while sitting at our desk or in an area with plenty of social distancing. I don't really go anywhere else around people indoors. Anywhere outdoors is pretty lax, but I'm okay with that as long as people aren't on top of each other.

Oklahoma is apparently a free for all, but I haven't visited since this all started.

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I travel all over Texas for youth sports.  I'd say I see less than 50% mask usage.  This includes indoors in some places where I have no choice (bathroom stops, food breaks, etc.).

We have nowhere close to universal mask usage.  It's literally a rallying cry amongst Trumpkins -- no mask!  my freedom!

Stop it with your bullshit.  Nobody thinks it's funny, nobody thinks you're serious, and nobody thinks you're honest.  

You’re saying that there’s less than 50% mask usage, but I’m the one that’s dishonest? I can’t think of the last place I went that had less than 50% usage that was indoors. And I have 4 kids. 3 play youth sports. I’ve been around the state in the last year. Again, can’t remember the last time I saw less than half in masks at one location, but you say that’s the statewide number. Just total nonsense. 

Anyway, now have to walk into gym for 10 year old girls basketball game now. Will be 95%+ mask usage if not 100% by parents and coaches in attendance.  

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

You’re saying that there’s less than 50% mask usage, but I’m the one that’s dishonest? I can’t think of the last place I went that had less than 50% usage that was indoors. And I have 4 kids. 3 play youth sports. I’ve been around the state in the last year. Again, can’t remember the last time I saw less than half in masks at one location, but you say that’s the statewide number. Just total nonsense. 

Anyway, now have to walk into gym for 10 year old girls basketball game now. Will be 95%+ mask usage if not 100% by parents and coaches in attendance.  

It's about enforcement.  It doesn't matter if it's indoors or out.  I was at a track meet yesterday, one that had strict mask requirement (even though outdoors) and maybe 60% of those in the stands wore masks.  I don't care if that was overly restrictive, it was the damn rule, and tons of people ignored it (and there was no means to reinforce).

In Austin?  Go to HEB and it's pretty much 100% masks.  Outside of Austin?  Nowhere fucking close.  I'm sorry my observations don't fit with your perception.  They are what they are.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/first-randomized-control-trial-shows-face-masks-did-not-reduce-coronavirus-infections-with-statistical-significance

The study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, concluded that the “recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use.”

“Recommendation to wear a surgical mask when outside the home among others did not reduce, at conventional levels of statistical significance, incident SARS-CoV-2 infection compared with no mask recommendation.”

Paste the next two paragraphs from your link

The researchers added: “The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection. During the study period, authorities did not recommend face mask use outside hospital settings and mask use was rare in community settings. This means that study participants' exposure was overwhelmingly to persons not wearing masks.”

In short, the study gives little insight into whether a majority masked population would have an effect on reducing COVID-19 transmission. Therefore, the study is likely to have little effect on policymakers going forward who will be unable to draw conclusive findings on the efficacy masks have in places with mask mandates.

21 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Paste the next two paragraphs from your link

The researchers added: “The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection. During the study period, authorities did not recommend face mask use outside hospital settings and mask use was rare in community settings. This means that study participants' exposure was overwhelmingly to persons not wearing masks.”

In short, the study gives little insight into whether a majority masked population would have an effect on reducing COVID-19 transmission. Therefore, the study is likely to have little effect on policymakers going forward who will be unable to draw conclusive findings on the efficacy masks have in places with mask mandates.

It's the only one with a random control sample. 

58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's about enforcement.  It doesn't matter if it's indoors or out.  I was at a track meet yesterday, one that had strict mask requirement (even though outdoors) and maybe 60% of those in the stands wore masks.  I don't care if that was overly restrictive, it was the damn rule, and tons of people ignored it (and there was no means to reinforce).

In Austin?  Go to HEB and it's pretty much 100% masks.  Outside of Austin?  Nowhere fucking close.  I'm sorry my observations don't fit with your perception.  They are what they are.

Austin has good mask adherence. Travel outside Austin, or he’ll go to Louisiana, they don’t give a fuck. 

New Braunfels and Canyon lake have had surprisingly good usage. I only remember maybe 10 people I've seen without masks.

Outdoors is a different ball game. Landa Park is exactly zero percent over many visits. I'm personally not bothered by that though. You're not going to get Covid from the playground.

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Can you explain to us what a random control sample is? That's above my pay grade so I'll need it broken down into small words.

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Probably debating between Google and YouTube to figure that out. Probably go with YT because of the zany graphics

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

New Braunfels and Canyon lake have had surprisingly good usage. I only remember maybe 10 people I've seen without masks.

Outdoors is a different ball game. Landa Park is exactly zero percent over many visits. I'm personally not bothered by that though. You're not going to get Covid from the playground.

I never wear a mask outside.

I never wear a mask outside.

I dont really either except in scenarios where I'd be being inconsiderate to not wear one. A fairly crowded farmer's market is the only recent example that comes to mind, where just about everyone was masked.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I dont really either except in scenarios where I'd be being inconsiderate to not wear one. A fairly crowded farmer's market is the only recent example that comes to mind, where just about everyone was masked.

I walk the dogs every day with no mask. I always have one just in case I get into a situation where I’ll be forced to get close to someone, but if you’re distanced from people, it makes no sense. 

40 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I walk the dogs every day with no mask. I always have one just in case I get into a situation where I’ll be forced to get close to someone, but if you’re distanced from people, it makes no sense. 

That's a whole lot different than "I never wear a mask outside".

I never wear a mask when I'm walking around the neighborhood.  I always have one with me, though.  If I stop to talk with neighbors or get in a logjam of joggers, I put it on.

If I'm at a sporting event with people shoulder to shoulder two to three deep, you'd better believe I'm wearing a mask, and I'm also moving to a different spot in the stands or on the fence.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If I'm at a sporting event with people shoulder to shoulder two to three deep, you'd better believe I'm wearing a mask, and I'm also moving to a different spot in the stands or on the fence.

Well yeah. What sporting events are you going to?  Didn’t think that was a thing yet. Unless you mean kids stuff I guess, but I am sans kids. 

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well yeah. What sporting events are you going to?  Didn’t think that was a thing yet. Unless you mean kids stuff I guess, but I am sans kids. 

I literally posted on this thread today about a track meet I attended in Killeen yesterday.  Stands and fence were packed, and mask usage was sporadic at best.

I probably attended 15 soccer matches Fall 2020 . . . same.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:15 PM, Anastasis said:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvxk9a/china-anal-covid-tests-us-diplomats

China Gave US Diplomats Anal COVID Tests ‘In Error,’ American Officials Say

The Chinese government has promised to stop using anal swabs on American diplomats to test for COVID-19 after Washington complained that the practice was undignified, the U.S. State Department said.

“The State Department never agreed to this kind of testing and protested directly to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs when we learned that some staff were subject to it,” a State Department spokesperson told VICE World News on Wednesday.

The spokesperson said Beijing had assured Washington that the test was given “in error” and that diplomatic personnel were exempt from the test, which was mandatory for incoming travelers in some parts of China.

That Aint Right GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I completely missed this story, and I chastised my still recovering Fox News addict mother for falling off the identifying disinformation wagon when she brought this to my attention this morning. Whoopsie.

The simulation can be a cruel mistress.

• Haha 1

I literally posted on this thread today about a track meet I attended in Killeen yesterday.  Stands and fence were packed, and mask usage was sporadic at best.
Kid had a soccer game in SA over the weekend. All parents wore mask the entire time and temp checks at the gate. I'm fine with it. It's weird arriving early and wearing a mask in an empty field, but worth it to not freak people out.

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:
19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Kid had a soccer game in SA over the weekend. All parents wore mask the entire time and temp checks at the gate. I'm fine with it. It's weird arriving early and wearing a mask in an empty field, but worth it to not freak people out.

That's great to hear.  I have not had my temperature checked one time this entire pandemic, except by myself.