CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Our schools are open here. Not sure what you’re talking about. I was referencing other parts of the country who disregard the importance of schools for children. Especially poorer ones. 

I would just like to make sure someone told you to take your fake concern for poor children and shove it up your ass.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I don’t know if there’s a good choice for HEB here and they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt over the last year...at least to me.  Do their best to protect their staff while understanding maskless customers is a risk, or continue requiring masks while having brawls/confrontations endlessly as mouth breathers stir shit ‘well muh govarnar Ahhbutt says, he said, well uhhh Aunt Jizz Jar said that on there turrvision that we dun need no mo masks no mo...gig em’.  

Edited by Homercles

So I just went on CVS site and can get a shot on Friday if I am willing to drive 2  hours to Stephenville, TX.  I am not 1a or 1b.  Should I feel guilty or should I figure those dumbasses in Stephenville don't want a shot anyways so its just sitting in the CVS fridge?  Most importantly, do I really want to drive 2  hours there and 2 hours back or should I wait and hope we get some vaccines in the DFW area in the near future.

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So I just went on CVS site and can get a shot on Friday if I am willing to drive 2  hours to Stephenville, TX.  I am not 1a or 1b.  Should I feel guilty or should I figure those dumbasses in Stephenville don't want a shot anyways so its just sitting in the CVS fridge?  Most importantly, do I really want to drive 2  hours there and 2 hours back or should I wait and hope we get some vaccines in the DFW area in the near future.

Take it.  If they have slots, their demand isn't meeting supply.  Better you get it than it get thrown away.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Our comfortable level with take out just went down if there is no confidence in safety protocols behind foot prep, and we've been slamming the fuck out of take out lately. 

. . . and we're right there with ya'.  We were doing what we could to ramp up our local restaurant patronage, at a not-tiny added cost, but at this point, nope, unless the restaurant offers assurances about their continued safe practice in the kitchen.  Even then, that doesn't really address unmasked customers, wait staff, etc.

What an unbelievably stupid call by Abbott, and he's so damn proud.

10 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Get the shot imo. 

Get the shot.

27 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

image.gif.40958fc783245f3d8d75b14842fe4e13.gif

33 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You know the answer.

36 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Abbott fucked them.  And fucked a lot of other businesses as well.  Our comfortable level with take out just went down if there is no confidence in safety protocols behind foot prep, and we've been slamming the fuck out of take out lately. 

I thought COVID wasn't food transmissible? Like even if they sneezed on your food, your stomach will still kill it since COVID targets the respiratory system

You don't huff your food in a plastic bag, like spray paint, before you eat it?  What's wrong with you?  Unrefined savages in this place. 

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I would just like to make sure someone told you to take your fake concern for poor children and shove it up your ass.

I guess my fake concern is better than the lack of concern I’ve seen on this board with regards to school. Way more misplaced concern about adults well being than kids well being. 

• Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I guess my fake concern is better than the lack of concern I’ve seen on this board with regards to school. Way more misplaced concern about adults well being than kids well being. 

No, it's much more the fact that one year of virtual schooling isn't going to send this generation into the emotional and intellectual crapper. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You know the answer.

I set it up based on the advice of all of you doctors here on Surly.  I feel guilty "jumping in line".  So after the first and second shot I will have to drive 2 plus hours.  Any idea if side effects like fever/chills occur that quickly and I will be driving with those?  It's the Pfizer vaccine so not sure if that is better or worse than Moderna or the new Johnson and Johnson one.  

I set it up based on the advice of all of you doctors here on Surly.  I feel guilty "jumping in line".  So after the first and second shot I will have to drive 2 plus hours.  Any idea if side effects like fever/chills occur that quickly and I will be driving with those?  It's the Pfizer vaccine so not sure if that is better or worse than Moderna or the new Johnson and Johnson one.  

My dad had his second Moderna on Saturday, and we knew there were people that have had some issues afterwards.  He spent all Sunday in his recliner, awaiting the inevitable.  Sure enough, around 24 hours after the shot, he began to get chills/run a slight fever. After a few hours it went away and he's been fine since.

YMMV, of course, but anecdotal evidence is the Pfizer flavor is less susceptible for developing side effects than the Moderna.

My wife had the Pfizer (first shot) last week, and she felt fine afterwards, but her arm was sore for 48 hours or so.  My first shot (Pfizer) is scheduled for tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I saw that and Canton and S'ville were allegedly open when I went, but I was waiting for the site to load through to reservations and gave up.  Now all locations full.

I wouldn't worry about foreclosing someone else at this point.

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just curious but why do you say this?  I kind of feel bad right now but then I think of the stupid crap Abbott is doing and I feel like I am having my hand forced if that makes sense.

If a place isn't filling up instantly, it's probably filling with "line jumpers."  Might as well be you.  

I also feel like it's less problematic to "steal" a private spot than at a government run installation with actual rules.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Now my wife is pissed that I didn’t book her a spot for a vaccine even though I told her what I was doing hours ago.  Now it is all filled up.  Any idea how CVS works as far as will there be more slots tomorrow?

Bring her with you and maybe they have extras. 

The dairy farms of Stephenville are lovely in mud season.  Eat a Chicken Fried Steak at Jake and Dorothy's

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I thought COVID wasn't food transmissible? Like even if they sneezed on your food, your stomach will still kill it since COVID targets the respiratory system

Not much into eating food sneezed into by other, COVID or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Get the shot if you can.

Here’s my advice/information after spending the last month running the logistics for our vaccine clinic -

-Most people only experience arm soreness after first shot. Take Tylenol/Advil 2-3 hours prior and massage arm after shot to help alleviate soreness and get it in non-dominant arm.
-Moderna has higher incidence of Covid-like symptoms after second dose than Pfizer.
-Symptoms after Moderna usually come on 12-24 hours after getting shot and last 24-48 hours. (My symptoms came on almost exactly 18 hours post-shot and last almost exactly 36 hours).
-Plan on being home and in bed if you experience symptoms - the fatigue and fever and body aches knocked me clean out.
-If you’ve EVER had any kind of anaphylactic reaction to ANYTHING (medication, food, dust, detergent, etc.) get a note from your doctor stating you are healthy enough to get vaccinated and bring it with you to your appointment. Same if you’ve ever had any reaction to any vaccine (flu, shingles, pneumonia, etc.). Where y’all go may not require it but my clinic does, so better be safe rather than sorry. It would suck to drive hours only to be turned away.
-Have your drivers license or ID and insurance card. We don’t bill patients but we do file with insurance.

If I think of any other tips, I’ll post them.

God bless and good luck, y’all.

Good stuff, thanks. 

Getting my first shot this week - generally speaking, how does alcohol consumption affect post-vaccine symptoms (for covid or any other vaccine)?  If I'm feeling crappy, I usually opt for a couple whiskeys over tylenol.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Welp, I found a CVS in Bay City TX that will shoot me up on Friday.  It's a 3+ hour drive from Austin.

So, how long does it take for the side effects to kick in?  I'd really not rather be on the road when that happens, and I have to do this one solo.

Depends on when Bill Gates wakes up and logs into his tracking computer, or so people are saying.

Good stuff, thanks. 
Getting my first shot this week - generally speaking, how does alcohol consumption affect post-vaccine symptoms (for covid or any other vaccine)?  If I'm feeling crappy, I usually opt for a couple whiskeys over tylenol.

Well, we don’t recommend whiskey over Tylenol lol and I don’t think anyone has studied how the vaccine and alcohol interact.

But if you feel like I felt, you won’t want any alcohol. All you’ll want is a warm blanket and sleep.

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I got my second Pfizer vaccine shot last week. I had no side effects from the first shot. The second shot hit me pretty hard, but symptoms didn't start until about 8 hours after the second shot. They lasted about 24 hours after that. That is what the nurse told me as well. Be prepared to be out of commission the next day, but not in the few hours post shot. I actually drove home, went to the gym, ate dinner, and watched an online movie with friends in the hours after the second shot before I started to feel anything. 1 of my 3 colleagues had a similar reaction as me; the other two had a much easier time of it. You shouldn't have any problems driving immediately afterward. Good luck. And don't feel guilty. You're doing your part even if the morons in Stephenville aren't. 

24 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

But if you feel like I felt, you won’t want any alcohol. All you’ll want is a warm blanket and sleep.

True that. The second shot knocked me on my ass. I think I slept 16 hours that day and barely ate anything. Chills, fever, and couldn't do anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

tenor.gif?itemid=12717995

Curbside man. 
yeah this

But the whole crowning them king of Texas because they are competent vs our state government and still a wholly capitalistic machine that quietly cut hero pay to workers and now are further fucking those heros...
yeah fuck that

Heb won't even let tip cashiers . They won't take a 20 for fear of being fired.

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I saw that and Canton and S'ville were allegedly open when I went, but I was waiting for the site to load through to reservations and gave up.  Now all locations full.

I wouldn't worry about foreclosing someone else at this point.

Stephenville back up as of 15 minutes ago, was able to get appointments for my wife and I.

8 hours ago, Todd Gack said:

Good stuff, thanks. 

image.gif.3f4f792b05c3dc0cc9d1e2d1d1e36597.gif

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Well, we don’t recommend whiskey over Tylenol lol and I don’t think anyone has studied how the vaccine and alcohol interact.

Fantastic.  With a 3-yr old and 8-month old, sleep is hard to come by.  Gonna be super fun if my desire to self medicate is also gone.. oh well.

Thanks again.

13 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Here’s my advice/information after spending the last month running the logistics for our vaccine clinic -

-Most people only experience arm soreness after first shot. Take Tylenol/Advil 2-3 hours prior

I have read various places to not do this. 

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Oh thanks CDC for that jewel of guidance. Docs have been doing that in lounges at work since day 1 of vaccinations. 

With forward looking guidance like this, it’s no surprise the Big Guy doesn’t think things will be normal until next spring. 

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I have read various places to not do this. 

Yeah, I have seen variable guidance on this.  Some rec tylenol over advil, some recommend not preloading with it but using if symptoms emerge, some recommend either and preloading, so it's all over the place. CDC does not recommend preloading, but says it's ok to use if you have fever or other symptoms after the shot. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I have seen variable guidance on this.  Some rec tylenol over advil, some recommend not preloading with it but using if symptoms emerge, some recommend either and preloading, so it's all over the place. CDC does not recommend preloading, but says it's ok to use if you have fever or other symptoms after the shot. 

I thought ibuprofen suppressed immune responses, and was generally advised against taking during a vaccine regimen?