CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

53 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Oh thanks CDC for that jewel of guidance. Docs have been doing that in lounges at work since day 1 of vaccinations. 

With forward looking guidance like this, it’s no surprise the Big Guy doesn’t think things will be normal until next spring. 

What exactly is your complaint here? The CDC issued guidance that is going to be increasingly applicable to a bunch of people that don't have medical training. Would you prefer it not issue such guidance? Here is a bold prediction: if the CDC didn't issue this guidance, you'd rake it over the coals for not having done so. You're bitching just to bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Oh thanks CDC for that jewel of guidance. Docs have been doing that in lounges at work since day 1 of vaccinations. 
With forward looking guidance like this, it’s no surprise the Big Guy doesn’t think things will be normal until next spring. 
Oh thanks GRHorn for this jewel of a post.

Weak sauce.
  • Like 1

What exactly is your complaint here? The CDC issued guidance that is going to be increasingly applicable to a bunch of people that don't have medical training. Would you prefer it not issue such guidance? Here is a bold prediction: if the CDC didn't issue this guidance, you'd rake it over the coals for not having done so. You're bitching just to bitch. 

GRHorn aggy level shit posting? Surely you can’t be serious!
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Do you get a flu vaccine each year?  Wondering if the arm soreness is the same as that.

Yes, had one back in October.  I had no arm soreness from this year's version, but I have in the past.

It's not bad or terrible or whatever, but it is noticeable, and hasn't gotten any worse in the past 30 minutes or so.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I thought ibuprofen suppressed immune responses, and was generally advised against taking during a vaccine regimen?

That's the theory. The concern results from small studies of other vaccines in infants. There is not a black and white answer specifically relevant to the COVID vaccine, which is why there is variability in the different recommendations being talked about. FWIW, antipyretics after vaccine administration were allowed in the clinical trials, and about 50% used an antipyretic after second shot. Here is the CDC guidance below. Personally, I'd follow what was allowed in the phase III protocol and would not preload and would use it only if I needed it afterwards, but it's not really clear that there is a problem with pre-loading. 

If you have pain or discomfort, talk to your doctor about taking over-the-counter medicine, such as ibuprofen, aspirin, antihistamines, or acetaminophen, for any pain and discomfort you may experience after getting vaccinated. You can take these medications to relieve post-vaccination side effects if you have no other medical reasons that prevent you from taking these medications normally. It is not recommended you take these medicines before vaccination for the purpose of trying to prevent side effects, because it is not known how these medications may impact how well the vaccine works.

And a guy from Mayo discussing the issue:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Do you get a flu vaccine each year?  Wondering if the arm soreness is the same as that.

My experience with this years flu shot and a first Moderna shot is that the arm soreness was a lot worse with the flu shot, but YMMV. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

You don’t need medical training to realize that if you’ve been vaccinated and I’ve been vaccinated we can hang out without masks on. Pretty simple. I guess I underestimate how dumb and dependent on authority people are for day to day guidance. 

What they just released could’ve been said on day 1 of vaccinations. If you’re waiting for the cdc to sign off on basic things like that to live your life then I guess it only harms yourself. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

You don’t need medical training to realize that if you’ve been vaccinated and I’ve been vaccinated we can hang out without masks on. Pretty simple. I guess I underestimate how dumb and dependent on authority people are for day to day guidance. 

What they just released could’ve been said on day 1 of vaccinations. If you’re waiting for the cdc to sign off on basic things like that to live your life then I guess it only harms yourself. 

Again, why exactly do you have an issue with the guidance? What type of medical professional thinks that lay people should just assume things rather than rely on professional guidance? Do you admit that had no guidance been issued, that at some point you would have complained that the CDC didn't tell people that were vaccinated that they were clear to congregate with each other? 

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m a notorious wimp but I’ve never had soreness like I did after my Covid shots.

My arm felt like someone hit it with a baseball bat. And it lasted 4-5 days each time.
  • Like 1

So I'm watching the Senate Rs whine about the relief plan.  The Dems should just say, "you know what?  you don't argue in good faith and you don't have the best interests of this country in mind, so we are shoving this down your throat."  That of course will never happen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I’m a notorious wimp but I’ve never had soreness like I did after my Covid shots.

My arm felt like someone hit it with a baseball bat. And it lasted 4-5 days each time.

Have you had the shingles vax? Just curious how it compares, because that one felt like a fucking mule kicked me. 

6 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

A few people in here make some fever and chills sound like death. C'mon, y'all. 

Yeah, I'm a little skeptical, too.  I'm a 57 year old man -- my shoulder(s) hurt 24/7.  I can't lift 50% of the weight I used to lift.  I'm not sure I'd notice "additional" soreness.

I'm cool with waiting for side effects and maybe taking an Advil at that point.  Pre-loading seems kinda silly.  The effect of NSAIDs diminishes fairly quickly, I'm not sure what the point would be.

10 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I hope states issue travel advisories to their citizens warning about visiting Texas, and then strictly control travel coming to their borders from us.

Yawn. 

We need to get more serious. Like China. 

Actually that would be a good idea at the border, if we actually cared about deterrence. 

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Yawn. 

We need to get more serious. Like China. 

Actually that would be a good idea at the border, if we actually cared about deterrence. 

Oh look a completely unrelated topic you’re using to deflect. Shocking.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Same.  No flu shot ever made it this sore.

No Tylenol or Advil; it will wear away in time.  But, I'm about to hit the sack.  The last hour I've started going downhill.

Both shots. Wow. My first was no biggie, but I’ve heard the second can be a bitch, w/ fever and fatigue and headaches.

Maybe you had Covid before shot 1, were asymptomatic, had a faulty false negative test, and so the first shot response was an antibody reaction to the Covid it recognized. Shot 2 same-same.

Dumb question.  I have an appointment tomorrow for the Pfizer shot 2 hours away.  My niece just booked me an appointment at HEB only an hour away but its Moderna vaccine.  Should I prefer one brand over the other or does the not having to drive 2 hours each way make the difference?  Is one better against the variants?  One gonna make me sicker?  What say Surly?

Got 1st shot yesterday in Brenham. Moderna.

Arm felt like I took a 90+ mph fastball to shoulder. Still feel it today.

About 2-3 hrs after shot I started to feel tired and like I had a cold. Tired, headache, malaise / slight weakness.

Around 7-8 hrs after shot, the cold symptoms faded.

Went to bed early and was very slow to rise this morning.

Felt fine today though.

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Dumb question.  I have an appointment tomorrow for the Pfizer shot 2 hours away.  My niece just booked me an appointment at HEB only an hour away but its Moderna vaccine.  Should I prefer one brand over the other or does the not having to drive 2 hours each way make the difference?  Is one better against the variants?  One gonna make me sicker?  What say Surly?

From everything I’ve read Pfizer may be less likely to give you symptoms. But considering you’ll have to go back there for shot 2, I’d just get the Moderna shot and save 4 hours of driving time. 

16 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

From everything I’ve read Pfizer may be less likely to give you symptoms. But considering you’ll have to go back there for shot 2, I’d just get the Moderna shot and save 4 hours of driving time. 

Anecdotal, but my wife and several people she works with were pretty wrecked by both doses of the Pfizer shot from about T+8-12 hours until about T+36 hours. Fatigue, headache, soreness. Her 85 year old grandmother had no symptoms whatsoever from the first dose of Pfizer, just got the second shot today. 

Edited by heso

16 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Saw that interview and he's right.  I've grown to like him over the past year.  He gets into the weeds on drugs sometimes and he was very pessimistic for a long time but he's also been right on almost everything.  He's been very optimistic lately and I like what he said about the guidance.  That's a really good clip, actually.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Saw that interview and he's right.  I've grown to like him over the past year.  He gets into the weeds on drugs sometimes and he was very pessimistic for a long time but he's also been right on almost everything.  He's been very optimistic lately and I like what he said about the guidance.  That's a really good clip, actually.

I think he was probably the only reasonable and competent member of the Trump administration. Glad he's still been vocal.

Rates spiking in Europe. They're behind on vaccination but I'm starting to think we're not going to avoid a variant wave. Texas and other states saying fuck it won't help.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think he was probably the only reasonable and competent member of the Trump administration. Glad he's still been vocal.
Rates spiking in Europe. They're behind on vaccination but I'm starting to think we're not going to avoid a variant wave. Texas and other states saying fuck it won't help.

Put me down for a plateau-ish type thing until mid April. Cases not deaths. We'll continue on the back side of the parabola for deaths and hospitalizations.

I now have two first-dose appointments:  one tomorrow in Bay City (Pfizer), and one Monday in Bryan (Moderna).  If I'm going to have side effects, next Tuesday is a much better day for me to be down for the count than Saturday.  Plus, Bryan is much closer to Austin than Bay City.

Questions: 

-- can I trust a vaccine administrator that close to College Station?

-- what are the key differences between Pfizer and Moderna?  (overall efficacy, side effects, first dose efficacy, etc.)

I will try to cancel tomorrow's appointment by phone this morning when the pharmacy opens.  I don't want to do it online because it's not clear it won't also cancel the Monday appointment.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

-- can I trust a vaccine administrator that close to College Station?

If they tell you that they need you to drop your pants so that they can admin the shot, don't do it.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

-- what are the key differences between Pfizer and Moderna?  (overall efficacy, side effects, first dose efficacy, etc.)

The appear extremely similar. Primary difference you will notice is whether you get the second shot 21 days later or 28 days later.