CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Good to know, @Anastasis thanks for posting that.

Meanwhile, Florida is having some issues:

We went through this last spring, sans vaccine, and I recall the graphic that research group did with anonymized cell phone data that showed the dispersal post break. Will be interested to see what this does with variants.

On 3/19/2021 at 6:45 PM, Sawbonz said:

I haven’t checked in the last month but CDC website has consistently estimated actual cases as 6 per 1 confirmed positive from last summer to now.

I doubt that is an accurate estimate. It would mean approximately 55% of US residents have already had Covid. 

6 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

They’ve adjusted it down to 1 in 4.6 reported for 83M total

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

I can’t figure out their math. Elsewhere, the CDC reports 30 million reported Covid cases. That is much larger than 83 million / 4.6.

Edited by BrickHorn

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I can’t figure out their math. Elsewhere, the CDC reports 30 million reported Covid cases. That is much larger than 83 million / 4.6.

There is a link somewhere on the website to the methodology it is similar to how they estimate influenza cases based on reported positive tests. I looked at it last summer

It also could be the 30M reported cases is more up to date than the estimated case number in which case the estimated number would go up or the ratio of reported to actual may get adjusted 

Edited by Sawbonz

On 3/20/2021 at 9:56 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Who posted the "vaccine finder" last week?  I need it, I'm having a helluva time finding a vaccine for my wife.  I'd also like to move my #2 closer to Austin.

This is what I used to find my vax in San Angelo.  Set the filter to only show available vaccines and hubs.  There are more and more places closer to Austin showing up on it which has to be a good sign.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3700a84845c5470cb0dc3ddace5c376b

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

so what's next? How do we start scaling this up faster? I know they're rolling out more lenient requirements for administration like vets and dentists offices, but they're projecting us to get to 75% faster than 5 months from now. How?

The people in charge think we will be transitioning from a supply issue to a demand issue over the next couple months, as in not enough people will want to take the shot, (anti-vax, not we ran out of people)

Adult Pop: 209 million 

Full Vax: 12%

One Dose: 25%

2.5 million shots per day (Thats 150 million shots by end of May)

add in that the J&J shot is a one and done, which will increase fully vax rate 

then you have people who already had covid who won’t get vaxxed for whatever reasons, people who won’t get vaxxed for political reasons, religious reasons, anti-science crazies. And we will be running out of takers over the next couple months 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I hope this becomes the model for larger gatherings:

Yep.

If you want to avoid risk of 1) transmission at an event, and 2) even if there is some transmission, avoid the risk of serious illness or death....this is the common-sense way of doing it.

Seriously, my whole family is getting vaxxed.  We thus present a very low risk of either giving the virus to someone else, or getting seriously ill ourselves.  Private venues absolutely should WANT folks like us to attend their shows/events, eat dinner there, travel there, etc.  There's a positive incentive for people to do the smart and right thing.  Get as many people with shots in arms as possible.  ASAP.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So I assume that the only option for children, at least for the near term future, is going to be proof of negative test?  Or are children exempted?

I think most parents are not going to bring their kids to a Knicks game for fear of CPS getting involved.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

This is terrible:

Kent Taylor, the CEO of the popular restaurant chain Texas Roadhouse, died Thursday by suicide after experiencing “unbearable” COVID-19 symptoms, his family told multiple news outlets.

Texas Roadhouse confirmed the death in a Facebook post, writing, “We will miss you, Kent. Because of you and your dream of Texas Roadhouse, we get to say we [love] our jobs every day.”

Taylor’s family said in a statement to The Hill and CNN that the business executive “took his own life” after “a battle with post-Covid related symptoms, including severe tinnitus,” which is a ringing in the ears.

“Kent battled and fought hard like the former track champion that he was, but the suffering that greatly intensified in recent days became unbearable,” the statement said.

“But in true Kent fashion, he always found a silver lining to help others. Most recently, he committed to fund a clinical study to help members of the military who also suffer with tinnitus.”

From March 2020 through January 2021, Taylor gave up his salary and donated it to assist frontline restaurant workers during the pandemic, WAVE reported.

Can you choose which COVID vaccine you get? 
Texas Roadhouse has over 600 restaurants in 49 states. It’s based in Louisville, Kentucky.

On Thursday, Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer tweeted his condolences, saying the city had “lost a much loved and one-of-a-kind citizen.”

“Kent’s kind and generous spirit was his constant driving force whether it was quietly helping a friend or building one of America’s great companies in @texasroadhouse,” Fisher said. “He was a maverick entrepreneur who embodied the values of never giving up and putting others first. My deepest condolences to Kent’s family and many, many friends.”

What's his Surly handle?

https://www.wafb.com/2021/03/22/national-guard-soldiers-transporting-vaccines-held-gunpoint-west-texas-suspect-arrested/

An Arizona man has been arrested after he cut off and held at gunpoint a caravan of National Guardsmen transporting COVID-19 vaccines to Matador, Texas around 7 a.m. this morning, according to Idalou Police.

Larry Harris, of Willcox, Arizona, is accused of following three National Guardsmen vans from Love’s Travel Station on East Regis Street in Lubbock to about two miles east of Idalou. Police say Harris attempted multiple times to run the vans off of the roadway. He then turned his vehicle into oncoming traffic on Hwy. 62/82 and stopped the vans. He then pointed a gun at an unarmed National Guardsman, identified himself as a detective, and demanded to search the vehicles and ordered the rest of the unarmed guardsmen out of their vehicles at gunpoint.

Harris told police he thought the people in the vans had kidnapped a woman and child. All 11 of the guardsmen were in uniform.

When police arrived on the scene, Harris was in possession of a loaded Colt 1911 pistol .45 Caliber. He had an additional loaded magazine on his person and another loaded magazine in his truck, police say.

The Idalou officers took Harris into custody without further incident.

Harris was arrested on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, unlawful restraint of 11 National Guard Soldiers, unlawful carrying of a weapon, impersonating a Public Servant, and interference with Texas Military Forces. The Idalou Police Department is currently investigating this incident. The Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office assisted with the investigation.

None of the Guardsmen were injured and none of them were armed.

“Mr. Harris appeared to be mentally disturbed. This was a very dangerous situation since the suspect was standing in the midst of the unarmed Guardsman with a loaded weapon when the Idalou Officers arrived on scene. We are grateful that the officers were able to take him into custody without any of the Guardsmen, the officers or the suspect getting hurt,” said Eric Williams, Idalou Police Chief.

BGH7Y2I7JFG7XCEFGCXZC45W3M.jpg

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Seems like the rate of increase has stalled quite a bit, and there's enough supply for that not to happen. Gotta be a capacity issue I'd think. There's only so many nurses and techs that can put shots into shoulders. I wonder if we're sort of maxed out or if there are any other tricks we can pull out to keep that increase in daily rates going.

Probably not a huge deal because at this rate, by some time in April or May it's going to flip to a demand vs. supply issue, but you hate to see momentum slowing down.

I think a good way to get people to get vaccinated is to require them for things like concerts, theme parks, getting on a plane.  I like the idea of an electronic vaccine passport.  I would also like to see employers require vaccines to return to the office.  Fuck it.  If you are stupid enough to be anti-vaxx, then I wouldn't want you to work for me anyway.

• Hook 'Em 4

1. Register and complete wellness checklist.
2. Choose your appointment date, location and time.
3. Be sure to click the BLUE CONFIRM button to finalize your appointment.
4. Print out or take a screenshot of your QR code to present at the time of your appointment.
👉 All appointments are for the Moderna vaccine.
👉 If you click the link above and no appointment times appear, that means all appointments have been booked.

8 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Talk about your dilemmas for Trumpkins! On the one hand, you've got to take Bill Gates' DNA-altering vaccine, what with its markers and such. On the other hand, free Krispy Kreme donuts for the next 8+ months!

I knew this was all a ruse by Big Donut!

LUBBOCK COUNTY, Texas (KCBD) - An Arizona man has been arrested after he cut off and held at gunpoint a caravan of National Guardsmen transporting COVID-19 vaccines to Matador, Texas around 7 a.m. this morning, according to Idalou Police.

Larry Harris, of Willcox, Arizona, is accused of following three National Guardsmen vans from Love’s Travel Station on East Regis Street in Lubbock to about two miles east of Idalou. Police say Harris attempted multiple times to run the vans off of the roadway. He then turned his vehicle into oncoming traffic on Hwy. 62/82 and stopped the vans. He then pointed a gun at an unarmed National Guardsman, identified himself as a detective, and demanded to search the vehicles and ordered the rest of the unarmed guardsmen out of their vehicles at gunpoint.

11 National Guardsmen held at gunpoint while transporting COVID-19 vaccines to Matador, Texas on Monday, March 22, 2021.

11 National Guardsmen held at gunpoint while transporting COVID-19 vaccines to Matador, Texas on Monday, March 22, 2021. (Source: Idalou Police Department) 

Harris told police he thought the people in the vans had kidnapped a woman and child. All 11 of the guardsmen were in uniform.

https://www.kcbd.com/2021/03/22/national-guard-soldiers-transporting-vaccines-held-gunpoint-near-idalou-suspect-arrested/

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/23/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-white-republicans/

In Texas, 59% of Republicans either said they are reluctant to get the vaccine or would refuse it outright, according to the February University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll.

Politics aside, this has the potential to be a pretty massive issue down the road. My simpleton math says that could potentially be about 1/3 of the state. You have to hope the reluctant folks will continue to come around, but Republicans have been pretty steady in saying they will outright refuse it:

image.png.4dfb85918b1ba892e6a77fd789b4a30f.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/23/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-white-republicans/

Politics aside, this has the potential to be a pretty massive issue down the road. My simpleton math says that could potentially be about 1/3 of the state. You have to hope the reluctant folks will continue to come around, but Republicans have been pretty steady in saying they will outright refuse it:

If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

my thoughts on the folks who refuse to take the vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 2

200.gif

my thoughts on the folks who refuse to take the vaccine.

That’d be my reaction if they weren’t subjecting themselves to being a breeding ground for viral mutations and if they weren’t going to be taking up space in healthcare facilities

8 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

A lot of people want to find out what the long term effects of this novel disease are about. Good luck 

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

A lot of people want to find out what the long term effects of this novel disease are about. Good luck 

Quote from my Republican mom: "I'm more afraid of the vaccine than I am of Covid." This despite seeing my uncle almost die from it. Dude still cannot walk to the bathroom without being winded.