CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

OK, this one dumbed it down for moe rawns such as myself.  I should have kept up, but honestly I just went with "when I can get a vaccine, I'll get it.  I didn't think it would happen this early, so I didn't pay much attention to the details.

And thanks Anastasis for your participation in this thread.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

OK, this one dumbed it down for moe rawns such as myself.  I should have kept up, but honestly I just went with "when I can get a vaccine, I'll get it.  I didn't think it would happen this early, so I didn't pay much attention to the details.

And thanks Anastasis for your participation in this thread.  

It's a great explainer video and silly to point out efficacy # as the only value to assess quality. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I should have kept up, but honestly I just went with "when I can get a vaccine, I'll get it.

This is the right approach imo. My general preference would be PFE>MRNA>JNJ, but I would have lined up for whatever one was first available. PFE and MRNA basically equivalent with PFE getting nod cause 3 week second dose regimen gets you boosted earlier. JNJ gets last ranking based on symptomatic disease efficacy, but in terms of prevention of severe disease and hospitalization it looks pretty damn good and comparable to the others. 

• Like 1

Yep, I'm sharing that video.  Thanks.  It does a great job of showing the difference between "efficacy" and reduction/elimination of hospitalization and death.

It's probably too much for such a presentation, but in a perfect world they would show statistics for single-dose applications of Pfizer and Moderna.  They're not that far off of J&J (efficacy).

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yep, I'm sharing that video.  Thanks.  It does a great job of showing the difference between "efficacy" and reduction/elimination of hospitalization and death.

It's probably too much for such a presentation, but in a perfect world they would show statistics for single-dose applications of Pfizer and Moderna.  They're not that far off of J&J (efficacy).

The part I found most interesting is highlighting the difference in the timing of the trials, and the variants in circulation at their trial sites. Those factors could easily move the needle on symptomatic disease rates, and highlight why comparisons across studies are not necessarily fair comparisons. I think/hope that when JNJ releases their two dose arm data we see it performs as well as the mRNA vaccines against symptomatic disease, so that's a great point. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This is not U.S. COVID, but I want to draw attention to the craziest damn COVID story in the world—- Slovakia.

Backstory: As the country suffered spiraling death and hospital rates, the Prime Minister— without consulting his cabinet— purchased millions of vials of Sputnik V and had a celebratory press conference at the airport. This sparked a huge backlash within his pro-West coalition, who had previously said that they’d only accept EU certified vaccines.

The quarrel devolved into a crisis that ultimately resulted in a cabinet reshuffle and the Prime Minister stepping down only to return as Finance Minister. Sputnik went off to storage as they tried to figure out what to do with the stuff.

This week, the Slovak State Drug Control Institute released a bombshell— the samples of Sputnik V vaccine that got sent to Slovakia are significantly different than the vaccine analyzed in the famous Lancet study that showed the Russian vaccine’s effectiveness.

The former Prime Minister— now Finance Minister and still chair of the leading coalition party— jetted off to Moscow, again without telling anyone. For most of the day he’s been shitposting on Facebook against Sputnik V opponents. And the Russians announced that Slovakia violated their agreement by sending the vaccines to an “uncertified lab” and are calling the bombshell “Fake News.” On Sputnik’s English language Twitter.

TL; DR — Russia is sending God knows what around the world and successfully used vaccine hybrid war to blow up a NATO Ally’s government.

Are you all following the #P1 variant? Apparently it has hit British Columbia hard and Brazil is reeling right now, but Brazil was  a mess already. It is in Massachusetts and now Colorado and with Texas still working it's way through the vaccines, I'm getting nervous that it's going to hit hard as you know it's out there already...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/world/europe/slovakia-coronavirus-russia-vaccine-sputnik.html

Spoiler

Noting that about 40 countries are using or scheduled to use the Russian vaccine, the Slovak regulatory agency asserted that “these vaccines are only associated by the name.” That raised questions about deviations from the formula reviewed in The Lancet.

“The comparability and consistency of different batches produced at different locations has not been demonstrated,” the Slovak regulator said. “In several cases, they appear to be vaccines with different properties (lyophilisate versus solution, single-dose ampoules versus multi-dose vials, different storage conditions, composition and method of manufacture).”

• Hook 'Em 1

Woman in FL who coughed on a cancer patient instead of donning a mask sentenced to thirty days in jail, a year of probation, mental health evaluation, and anger management classes.

Seems reasonable to me. Assuming she didn’t infect anyone. 

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article250551369.html?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Willfully Horn
Crabbed
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Least shocking news ever.

Also since the Reds were brought up a couple times in the last little but.  Fuck Pete Rose.

What do you have against Pete Rose?  

More about the growing problem faced by our neighbor to the north, except virus don't care about borders...or state lines...

Canada is spiking and recently one of their health authorities stated people could assume they had one of the variants, that the govt was going to stop tracking individual variants. Not going well for them.

Just south in Detroit and Michigan at large things are rough. More children are coming down with stronger symptoms with the newer variants as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure why I am, but I am surprised to see NY topping that list.  Figured between vaccinations and prior waves and stricter approach to lock downs 

What’s the latest and best view of the vaccines’ effectiveness against variants? I know that they are believed generally to be effective against UK and So. African variants, but what about others?

Asking for myself since I’ve been out licking doorknobs for the last few weeks.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

More about the growing problem faced by our neighbor to the north, except virus don't care about borders...or state lines...

Canada is spiking and recently one of their health authorities stated people could assume they had one of the variants, that the govt was going to stop tracking individual variants. Not going well for them.

Just south in Detroit and Michigan at large things are rough. More children are coming down with stronger symptoms with the newer variants as well.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Not sure why I am, but I am surprised to see NY topping that list.  Figured between vaccinations and prior waves and stricter approach to lock downs 

I have always hated stats like that. Sure, that's raw number cases, but when you compare to the relative populations, some states stand out WAY more than others. 

MI: 1:1100 citizens
MN: 1:2100
NJ: 1:2100
NY: 1:2100
PA: 1:2500
FL: 1:3000
IL: 1:3200
NC: 1:4200
TX: 1:9600
CA: 1:11,000

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

What’s the latest and best view of the vaccines’ effectiveness against variants? I know that they are believed generally to be effective against UK and So. African variants, but what about others?

Asking for myself since I’ve been out licking doorknobs for the last few weeks.

Effective against B117 and B1351, probably effective against P1. 

Here is a cool site that I found that summarizes the data on VOC, included vaccine data.

https://aci.health.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/critical-intelligence-unit/sars-cov-2-variants

Immune escape (vaccines / previous infections will not be protective)

Pfizer/BioNTech neutralisation as per wild type.^ Reduction in neutralising capacity when carrying the E484K mutation. Prior COVID-19 infection and vaccination substantially increased neutralizing activity.

AstraZeneca 74.6% efficacy for prevention of symptomatic disease.^

Moderna neutralisation as per wild type.^

Novavax 86% efficacy for prevention of of symptomatic disease.^

Elicits cross-reactive neutralising antibodies.*

Pfizer/BioNTech, multiple studies show significant reduction in neutralisation of B.1.351.*^ Prior COVID-19 infection and vaccination substantially increased neutralizing activity.

AstraZeneca

10.4% efficacy for prevention of symptomatic disease*^

Moderna neutralisation as per wild type*

Novavax

50-60% efficacy for prevention of symptomatic disease*^

Johnson & Johnson 85% efficacy for prevention of symptomatic disease *^

Elicits cross-reactive neutralising antibodies.^

Pfizer/BioNTech neutralisation as per wild type*^Prior COVID-19 infection and vaccination substantially increased neutralizing activity.

AstraZeneca reports efficacy for prevention of symptomatic disease (news reporting on preliminary data)*^

Moderna neutralisation as per wild type *^

Estimated 6.4% reinfection probability*^

Elicits cross-reactive neutralising antibodies.^

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

“Get the shot. That’s an order.”

I completely agree with the sentiment, but apparently the issue is that Covid vaccines are not yet fully-approved by the FDA, so the military can't (or at least won't) make them mandatory.  So far they are only authorized under an emergency use EUA.

When they gain FDA approval, then they can become mandatory.

Ultimately, it's a pretty small number of people, but it's still frustrating.

This article points out how the Navy requires the flu vaccine:

Military.com on vaccines

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I completely agree with the sentiment, but apparently the issue is that Covid vaccines are not yet fully-approved by the FDA, so the military can't (or at least won't) make them mandatory.  So far they are only authorized under an emergency use EUA.

When they gain FDA approval, then they can become mandatory.

Ultimately, it's a pretty small number of people, but it's still frustrating.

This article points out how the Navy requires the flu vaccine:

Military.com on vaccines

I believe this is true for every setting. I work with a state hospital system and administrators cannot mandate that staff be vaccinated yet as the vaccine is still categorized as an experimental treatment. At least that's how it's been explained to me. So about 40% of all hospital staff is refusing the vaccine. Vaccination rates are higher in the patient population than the staff population. Crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/9/2021 at 8:21 PM, 4th&Five said:

So I read that, until the vaccine is fully authorized by the FDA, they can’t order someone to take it, because it’s still considered an experimental vaccine. Same with business and schools. But after it’s fully approved, everyone absolutely can enforce that policy. 

Pfizer and Moderna will ask for full approval this month. They now have the required 6 months of data. That’s good news. Now, the bad news is apparently it takes the FDA around 6 months to review this shit. So unless they speed it up, I bet we will see stupid shit for schools openings 

14 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

This might as well not be in English.  I'm guessing this may be talking about a potential treatment that will solve for people who actually get this?

There are entire pages in that manuscript that I just skim over and go "nope".  But apparently they found a way to very quickly identify and produce monoclonal antibodies that could hit all the major COVID variants. They speculate that they turn identification and initial development in <10 days. This would primarily be a treatment I assume, although they are looking at these types of antibodies for things like prophylaxis after exposure...

https://endpts.com/regenerons-covid-mab-as-a-prophylactic-injection-reduced-risk-of-symptomatic-infection-by-81/

Regeneron’s Covid mAb as a prophylactic injection: Reduced risk of symptomatic infection by 81%.

anyway, re: surveys showing vaxxed people still not wanting to do shit while the non-vaxxed pack stadiums: people concerned about covid still concerned about covid, while those not concerned about covid still not concerned about covid, film at 11. 

• Hook 'Em 2