CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Newsmax has been pushing this hard, it's really alarming how media control of the narrative (which has been a thing for decades) has really gotten more and more unhinged. The Newsmax owner is a big Trump friend, but zero pushback from anyone interested in the truth.

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Yep. These folks have shown to actually be persuadable if it isn’t a problem if access in the first place. You’re never going to get the Trumper in Giddings to get vaccinated.

I was amazed when I went to get my shot and had to drive through Brenham. The drive-thru vaccine line at the county fairgrounds was 15-20 deep. People are getting them in red counties too. Obviously the psycho trumpkins are out and loud, but there’s a lot of halfway normal folk too. Halfway. 

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Newsmax has been pushing this hard, it's really alarming how media control of the narrative (which has been a thing for decades) has really gotten more and more unhinged. The Newsmax owner is a big Trump friend, but zero pushback from anyone interested in the truth.

Again, why does newsmax have press credentials?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

WIV was a subrecipient under the NIH grant to US-based EcoHealth. Paul overextends his argument, but Fauci is too defensive. The US has been funding GOF research. Some of the same folks conducting the US-funded research were on the WHO team that investigated the lab. Nothing to see here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

WIV was a subrecipient under the NIH grant to US-based EcoHealth. Paul overextends his argument, but Fauci is too defensive. The US has been funding GOF research. Some of the same folks conducting the US-funded research were on the WHO team that investigated the lab. Nothing to see here. 

What exactly is the “argument” that Rand Paul is Overextending? Did Fauci create Covid or not?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Again, why does newsmax have press credentials?

They can pass a security check. According to the info in the link below, it was not uncommon many decades ago for niche media outlets to be denied passes. That got taken to court so this is where we are today. I see what you're saying because the disinfo is horrible and is affecting officials ability to do their jobs from the lowest positions to the highest. However, there is a tightrope in this country that must be walked regarding free speech and the government.

Here is some more information at this link: https://abalegalfactcheck.com/articles/press-credentials.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

What exactly is the “argument” that Rand Paul is Overextending? Did Fauci create Covid or not?

No, it's stupid to say that Facui created COVID. Paul overextends by claiming things that don't have evidence to support, instead of sticking to the facts. The facts are compelling enough.  We have been playing a dangerous game, building capabilities both here and abroad around this kind of research through our funding mechanisms and technology sharing. In this case, looks to me like the collection of specimens at WIV likely resulted in a lab accident resulting in a leak. Occam's razor and all. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

No, it's stupid to say that Facui created COVID. Paul overextends by claiming things that don't have evidence to support, instead of sticking to the facts. The facts are compelling enough.  We have been playing a dangerous game, building capabilities both here and abroad around this kind of research through our funding mechanisms and technology sharing. In this case, looks to me like the collection of specimens at WIV likely resulted in a lab accident resulting in a leak. Occam's razor and all. 

I think we are in agreement on the facts. The problem I have is Rand Paul doesn’t really give a shit about any of that and is just trying to score political points on foxnews and crap on fauci as if he was the cause. While the facts are important, the lie he is attempting to peddle to his base of morons is more dangerous since it does nothing to fix the problem.

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I think we are in agreement on the facts. The problem I have is Rand Paul doesn’t really give a shit about any of that and is just trying to score political points on foxnews and crap on fauci as if he was the cause. While the facts are important, the lie he is attempting to peddle to his base of morons is more dangerous since it does nothing to fix the problem.

In other words, Paul overextends his argument. And Fauci is splitting hairs defensively in his response as well. The NIH was funding aspects of the ongoing work at the WIV related to research on bat coronaviruses. There were signals from State that lab safety protocols were inadequate. It's all Monday morning quarterbacking, but I think that we can both appreciate the implications here. 

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Again, when does Surly get a press credential and who are we sending to talk to Psaki? Hopefully not one of the posters who want to sex her up all creepy like 

You just eliminated the entire board 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

In other words, Paul overextends his argument. And Fauci is splitting hairs defensively in his response as well. The NIH was funding aspects of the ongoing work at the WIV related to research on bat coronaviruses. There were signals from State that lab safety protocols were inadequate. It's all Monday morning quarterbacking, but I think that we can both appreciate the implications here. 

Yeah no easy answers here. If your lab at Umass is violating safety protocol you shut it down until it’s not. Some lab in Wuhan in a different country with an authoritarian government and maybe you don’t have the influence you thought you did. Way beyond my pay grade except I absolutely know Rand Paul is a piece of shit.

55 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

They can pass a security check. According to the info in the link below, it was not uncommon many decades ago for niche media outlets to be denied passes. That got taken to court so this is where we are today. I see what you're saying because the disinfo is horrible and is affecting officials ability to do their jobs from the lowest positions to the highest. However, there is a tightrope in this country that must be walked regarding free speech and the government.

Here is some more information at this link: https://abalegalfactcheck.com/articles/press-credentials.html

Ok, but is Psaki required to call on them?  I wouldn’t think so. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

What a world...more at the link, but here's the gist. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nnwg/anti-maskers-ready-to-start-maskingto-protect-themselves-from-the-vaccinated

Anti-Maskers Ready to Start Masking—to Protect Themselves From the Vaccinated

An anti-vaccine conspiracy about the vaccinated are leading some anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers to contemplate wearing a mask and social distance

A conspiracy ripping through the anti-vax world may finally drive some anti-maskers to do the unthinkable: wear a mask and keep their distance.

The conspiracy—which comes in several shapes and sizes—more or less says the vaccinated will “shed” certain proteins onto the unvaccinated who will then suffer adverse effects. The main worry is the “shedding” will cause irregular menstruation, infertility, and miscarriages. The entirely baseless idea is a key cog in a larger conspiracy that COVID-19 was a ploy to depopulate the world, and the vaccine is what will cull the masses. 

Experts say the conspiracy is born from a fundamental misunderstanding of how vaccines work. It has been widely debunked and you can read about it here, here, and here, among other places.  

Anti-vax influencers are instructing their fellow anti-vaxxers as well as anti-maskers (at this point the two communities overlap to a huge degree) that one of the best ways to defend themselves from this blight is to co-opt…social distancing, the very strategy they have long decried. 

Sherri Tenpenny, an anti-vaxxer who was found to be key in spreading COVID-19 conspiracy theories, suggested on a recent anti-vax livestream that you may have to “stay away from somebody who's had these shots…forever.” 

Another prominent anti-vaxxer suggested quarantining people who have been vaccinated. “There is something being passed from people who are shot up with this poison to others who have not gotten the shot,” said Larry Palevsky, a New York pediatrician and anti-vaxxer,  on a separate livestream. They should also “have a badge on their arms that say ‘I've been vaccinated even though it's not a vaccine’ so that we know to avoid them on the street, to not go near them anywhere in society,” he said.

It’s not just social distancing that anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers are begrudgingly accepting. Some conspiracy theorists are wondering if perhaps their longtime bane, the mask, could become their salvation. One perplexed poster on the fringe site 4chan asked their fellow anons if they should “wear a mask around the vaccinated, because they shed the mRNA stuff?” 

“I am going to be watching these vaccine shedding stories like a hawk,” wrote another man on Twitter. “Is my family going to need to wear masks to protect ourselves from the vaccinated?” 

I mean, whatever it takes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

They should also “have a badge on their arms that say ‘I've been vaccinated even though it's not a vaccine’ so that we know to avoid them on the street, to not go near them anywhere in society,” he said.

I am all for this.  Keeps up with my stance that social distancing should remain a thing post-pandemic.  I don't want to be near you fuckers!

@washparkhorn's post forced me to run some numbers. With absolutely ludicrous assumptions, I can get to 1.2MM new deaths from COVID based on where we are today. Requires that basically everybody that is not vaccinated with at least 1 shot gets COVID. Base case based on current infection rates and CFRs in at risk population is 98k new deaths, range of other scenarios from 48k to 118k. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Edited by Anastasis

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nnwg/anti-maskers-ready-to-start-maskingto-protect-themselves-from-the-vaccinated
Anti-Maskers Ready to Start Masking—to Protect Themselves From the Vaccinated
An anti-vaccine conspiracy about the vaccinated are leading some anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers to contemplate wearing a mask and social distance
A conspiracy ripping through the anti-vax world may finally drive some anti-maskers to do the unthinkable: wear a mask and keep their distance.
The conspiracy—which comes in several shapes and sizes—more or less says the vaccinated will “shed” certain proteins onto the unvaccinated who will then suffer adverse effects. The main worry is the “shedding” will cause irregular menstruation, infertility, and miscarriages. The entirely baseless idea is a key cog in a larger conspiracy that COVID-19 was a ploy to depopulate the world, and the vaccine is what will cull the masses. 
Experts say the conspiracy is born from a fundamental misunderstanding of how vaccines work. It has been widely debunked and you can read about it here, here, and here, among other places.  
Anti-vax influencers are instructing their fellow anti-vaxxers as well as anti-maskers (at this point the two communities overlap to a huge degree) that one of the best ways to defend themselves from this blight is to co-opt…social distancing, the very strategy they have long decried. 
Sherri Tenpenny, an anti-vaxxer who was found to be key in spreading COVID-19 conspiracy theories, suggested on a recent anti-vax livestream that you may have to “stay away from somebody who's had these shots…forever.” 
Another prominent anti-vaxxer suggested quarantining people who have been vaccinated. “There is something being passed from people who are shot up with this poison to others who have not gotten the shot,” said Larry Palevsky, a New York pediatrician and anti-vaxxer,  on a separate livestream. They should also “have a badge on their arms that say ‘I've been vaccinated even though it's not a vaccine’ so that we know to avoid them on the street, to not go near them anywhere in society,” he said.
It’s not just social distancing that anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers are begrudgingly accepting. Some conspiracy theorists are wondering if perhaps their longtime bane, the mask, could become their salvation. One perplexed poster on the fringe site 4chan asked their fellow anons if they should “wear a mask around the vaccinated, because they shed the mRNA stuff?” 
“I am going to be watching these vaccine shedding stories like a hawk,” wrote another man on Twitter. “Is my family going to need to wear masks to protect ourselves from the vaccinated?” 

We’re about to get a lot more shitposting from grhorn and babayaga once they enter quarantine
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

Good point.  We have a chance to focus on saving good people in vulnerable populations and underserved communities of color.  That's where the focus should turn.  If we lose some science-denying Trumpers in exurbs along the way.........................oops.

E1JgNtsUUAA8tfx?format=jpg&name=small

More unvaccinated people are going to die or get sick unnecessarily we just don’t know how much at this point. Hopefully not many. Time will tell. 

My mid 70s mom finally got it. Was waiting on J&J for some reason. Dad says he got it but unlike mom I’m not convinced 100 percent he did.

The fact this whole thing got politicized is rage inducing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

E1JgNtsUUAA8tfx?format=jpg&name=small

Ron Johnson is a fucking idiot that was pumping HCQ and related quackery in hearing after hearing (BTW, what happened to triple? He seemed to check out around time vaccines came online.). What's his explanation? I assume it's cause he already had COVID?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

Again, when does Surly get a press credential and who are we sending to talk to Psaki? Hopefully not one of the posters who want to sex her up all creepy like 

I promise to sex her up, but respectfully like.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Ron Johnson is a fucking idiot that was pumping HCQ and related quackery in hearing after hearing (BTW, what happened to triple? He seemed to check out around time vaccines came online.). What's his explanation? I assume it's cause he already had COVID?

Triple did disappear pretty suddenly, huh? Maybe he took too much fish tank cleaner.

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Trump: "We're going to get a vaccine out by January 2021. Fastest and bestest ever."

Operation Warp Speed: "We did it, and did it early" (Moderna approved in December 2020)

Trump supporters: "It's a conspiracy!

I can't even...

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

In the water is wet category:

Covid pandemic was preventable, says WHO-commissioned report
Independent panel castigates global leaders and calls for major changes to ensure it cannot happen again

The Covid pandemic was a preventable disaster that need not have cost millions of lives if the world had reacted more quickly, according to an independent high-level panel, which castigates global leaders and calls for major changes to bring it to an end and ensure it cannot happen again.

The report of the panel, chaired by the former New Zealand prime minister Helen Clark and Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, a former president of Liberia, found “weak links at every point in the chain”

It said preparation was inconsistent and underfunded, the alert system too slow and too meek, while the World Health Organization was underpowered. It concluded the response had exacerbated inequalities. “Global political leadership was absent,” the report said.

Clark described February 2020 as “a month of lost opportunity to avert a pandemic, as so many countries chose to wait and see”.

“For some, it wasn’t until hospital ICU beds began to fill that more action was taken,” she said. “And by then it was too late to avert the pandemic impact. What followed then was a winner takes all scramble for PPE and therapeutics. Globally, health workers were tested to their limits and the rates of infection, illness and death soared and continue to soar.”

Sirleaf said: “The situation we find ourselves in today could have been prevented. An outbreak of a new pathogen, Sars CoV-2 became a catastrophic pandemic that has now killed more than 3.25 million people, and continues to threaten lives and livelihoods all over the world. It is due to a myriad of failures, gaps and delays in preparedness and response. This was partly due to failure to learn from the past.”

Urgent action must be taken, she said. “There are many reviews of previous health crises that include sensible recommendations. Yet, they sit gathering dust in UN basements and on government shelves … Our report shows that most countries of the world were simply not prepared for a pandemic.”

The report was commissioned by the WHO director general at the instigation of member states, who called at the World Health Assembly in May last year for an impartial review of what happened and what could be learned from the pandemic.

The panel calls for radical changes to bring heads of state together to oversee pandemic preparations, ensuring the finance and tools the world needs are in place. They want a faster-moving, better-resourced WHO. And they want a commitment now from leaders of affluent countries to supply vaccines for the rest of the world.

The report says the Chinese detected and identified the new virus promptly when it emerged at the end of 2019 and gave warnings that should have been heeded.

“When we look back to that period in late December, 2019, clinicians in Wuhan acted quickly when they recognised individuals in a cluster of pneumonia cases that were not normal,” said Sirleaf.

An alert was sent out in Wuhan about a potentially new virus, which was “picked up quickly by neighbouring areas, countries, the media – on an online disease reporting site – and by the WHO,” she said.

“This shows the benefit and speed of open-source reporting, but then the systems that were meant to validate and respond to this alert were too slow. The alert system does not operate with sufficient speed when faced with a fast-moving respiratory pathogen.”

The WHO “was hindered and not helped by the international health regulations and procedures”, said Clark. The regulations that govern when the WHO can declare a public health emergency of international concern were adopted in 2007. They bind WHO to confidentiality and verification, preventing rapid action, and prohibit countries from unnecessarily closing their borders against trade.

Every day counts, said the panel, which believes the emergency could have been declared by 22 January, instead of 30 January, as happened.

During “the lost month” of February, countries should have been preparing. Some did and have suffered far less than those that did not. “Countries with the ambition to aggressively contain and stop the spread whenever and wherever it occurs have shown that this is possible,” says the report.

Some countries “devalued and debunked” the science, denying the severity of the disease. “This has had deadly consequences,” said Clark. “This has been compounded by a lack of global leadership and coordination of geopolitical tensions and nationalism weakening the multilateral system, which should act to keep the world safe.”

The report recommends the creation of a “global health threats council”, to be led by heads of state, to keep attention on the threats of pandemics between emergencies and ensure collective action. It calls for a special session of the UN general assembly later this year to agree a political declaration. The WHO must have more power and more funding, while its regional directors and the director general should serve just a single term of seven years.

The panel says it is “deeply concerned and alarmed” about the current high rates of transmission of the virus and the emergence of variants. Every country must take the necessary measures to curb the spread, says the report. High-income countries with enough vaccines ordered for their own needs must commit to providing at least 1bn doses by 1 September to Covax, the UN-backed initiative to get vaccines to 92 low- and middle-income countries, and more than 2bn doses by mid-2022.

The G7 countries must provide 60% of $19bn (£13.45bn) needed for vaccines, therapeutics, tests and strengthening health systems, with the rest from the G20 and other high-income nations. The WHO and the World Trade Organization must bring together vaccine-producing countries and manufacturers to help scale up production around the world – and if nothing happens, then the patent waiver that middle-income countries have called for and the US has backed should come into force.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/12/covid-pandemic-was-preventable-says-who-commissioned-report

“Hesitancy makes a better story because you’ve got controversy,” said Tom Frieden, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “But there’s a bigger problem of access than there is of hesitancy.”

Just as I suspected - it's not the hesitant that are the problem. It's access and outreach that is what is really holding back getting more people vaccinated. 

BUT LET'S DUNK ON TRUMP SUPPORTERS INSTEAD GETS MOAR CLICKS

• Hook 'Em 1

COVID-19 Endothelial Dysfunction Can Cause Erectile Dysfunction: Histopathological, Immunohistochemical, and Ultrastructural Study of the Human Penis

This was a pilot study demonstrating the COVID virus in the penis tissue upto 7 months after the initial infection. As senior author on this study (https://wjmh.org/DOIx.php?id=10.5534/wjmh.210055) , I wanted to weigh in.

What we know

COVID virus can enter the endothelial cells - cells that line the blood vessels supplying blood to the penis
Endothelial dysfunction, typically present in men with COVID could be a common denominator for erectile dysfunction
COVID19 is NOT sexually transmitted since it is absent in the semen among men who have recovered - our previous study (https://wjmh.org/DOIx.php?id=10.5534/wjmh.200192)
What we don't know

Whether the severity of erectile dysfunction is associated with the severity of COVID
The true prevalence of erectile dysfunction among COVID survivors
What should men do

Men who develop erectile dysfunction after COVID should discuss with their doctor if the symptoms persist to discuss treatment options since ED may be due to underlying vascular disease rather than psychological causes. Obviously, do everything possible to avoid getting infected. Email me - ramasamy at miami.edu for further questions

one would think "Covid will kill your boners, get the vaccine dumbasses" would be an effective message....

25 minutes ago, The Dog said:

“Hesitancy makes a better story because you’ve got controversy,” said Tom Frieden, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “But there’s a bigger problem of access than there is of hesitancy.”

Just as I suspected - it's not the hesitant that are the problem. It's access and outreach that is what is really holding back getting more people vaccinated. 

BUT LET'S DUNK ON TRUMP SUPPORTERS INSTEAD GETS MOAR CLICKS

this thread has nearly 700 pages demonstrating that Trump supporters are by and large the biggest swath of covid deniers and vaccine rejecters. And you come in with one link that proves it all wrong! How'd yo do it? You're a hero!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

this thread has nearly 700 pages demonstrating that Trump supporters are by and large the biggest swath of covid deniers and vaccine rejecters. 

that is absolutely correct and my link nor my comments contradict that. it's stating something else. 

An unvaccinated Estacada Middle School teacher died Saturday in what appears to be the first publicly reported case of an Oregon teacher succumbing to COVID-19.

Samantha Fox, 46, died one week after she tested positive for the coronavirus. A 6th- and 7th-grade Language Arts teacher at the middle school, family said that Fox was a beloved member of the community who spent more than 20 years teaching in the school district.

She is survived by her mother, husband and two teenage sons.

“You can’t go anywhere in Estacada without someone coming up to talk to her,” said her ex-husband, Roger Cloud.

More than a year into the pandemic, Fox’s death comes as a tragic reminder of the coronavirus’s unpredictable toll. Fox was overweight but otherwise had no underlying medical conditions, said her mother, Mary Beck.

“She took care of everyone. The entire family loved her dearly,” said Beck, crying Tuesday as she described Fox’s loving nature. “Always a big smile and fun to be with.”

But even as she grieves, Beck is placing the blame for her daughter’s death on Fox’s hesitation to get the COVID-19 vaccine. Fox was afraid of shots and didn’t like going to the doctor, Beck said, and subsequently waited too long to decide whether or not to get vaccinated.

“There are 14- and 18-year-old boys without a mother because she wouldn’t take the shot,” Beck said, referring to Fox’s two sons.

Fox was a “student-focused” teacher, school district spokeswoman said, and her death is affecting multiple generations of students. Fox had a knack for making learning fun, Kelly said, and managed to maintain her enthusiasm into the third decade of her career teaching in Estacada, about 45 minutes southeast of Portland.

The school district has deployed counselors for any staff or students who need them, Kelly said.

Beck said she wanted to speak publicly about her daughter’s death because she doesn’t want any other family to go through the same experience.

“Please,” Beck said, “if you can get the shot, get it

https://outline.com/z5sN8z

No ha ha's there.  Not necessarily a unique story.  Just sad.  A mom leaves her kids behind.  And a school loses a loved teacher.  Because she was afraid of shots and didn't like doctors.  

28 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

https://outline.com/z5sN8z

No ha ha's there.  Not necessarily a unique story.  Just sad.  A mom leaves her kids behind.  And a school loses a loved teacher.  Because she was afraid of shots and didn't like doctors.  

Yeah but Tucker Carlson and Fox News need their millions of dollars to swim in so what ya gonna do?

3 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

one would think "Covid will kill your boners, get the vaccine dumbasses" would be an effective message....

Shhhh.... I'm not sure that's a message we really want getting out there, to be honest.

Biography of Charles Darwin, 19th Century Naturalist

• Haha 2