CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Can you post that for our buddies in the DT thread? I'd like to see some heads explode while they quickly redirect to Fauci or Cuomo. 

Though I'd like to see what 2021 is looking like with these same methods. 

Edited by mdmost

55 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Can you post that for our buddies in the DT thread? I'd like to see some heads explode while they quickly redirect to Fauci or Cuomo. 

It would just degenerate into yet another mask muh freedom debate and how fauci is the debil.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:42 PM, Anastasis said:

@washparkhorn's post forced me to run some numbers. With absolutely ludicrous assumptions, I can get to 1.2MM new deaths from COVID based on where we are today. Requires that basically everybody that is not vaccinated with at least 1 shot gets COVID. Base case based on current infection rates and CFRs in at risk population is 98k new deaths, range of other scenarios from 48k to 118k. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Honestly, is that ludicrous? I suspect that due to our low vax rates, this thing is going to be around forever. It may take a few years, but yeah at some point, pretty much pretty much everybody who isn't vaxxed going to get it, no? Or is some subset of the population truly immune somehow?

(no snark here, legit questions, btw).

Are you assuming that the virus will naturally evolve to be more infectious (as already seems to be happening), but less lethal? Isn't that how these types of viruses usually turn out?

CDC getting ready to announce further guidance for vaccinated people.  I have no idea how we are going to regulate vaccinated vs non-vaccinated people.  Is it going to be up to businesses to make people show their vaxx card?  I think non-vaxxed people are just going to say fuck it and lie or make fake vaxx cards.  

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

CDC getting ready to announce further guidance for vaccinated people.  I have no idea how we are going to regulate vaccinated vs non-vaccinated people.  Is it going to be up to businesses to make people show their vaxx card?  I think non-vaxxed people are just going to say fuck it and lie or make fake vaxx cards.  

I’ve reached the point of fatigue. I’m vaxed, and the risk of me transmitting Covid is incredibly low. I’m ready to be back to normal. I don’t live in TX or FL so things are still semi shut down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The people who haven't gotten their shot that have had the opportunity/availability are going to do what they've done all along, which is ignore everything except the opportunity to whine about whatever inconveniences or upsets them at any given time. Not much you can do about it really. The people who want to forge cards, will do that and feel like they are getting one over on the libs; really it is not going to change much for them because they've never cared about the public health aspect of it anyway. Our community had a young person (<30) pass away recently, but that age group is not overly concerned about risk one way or the other. The latter group are perhaps reachable but the true anti vaxx groups are likely not. Too dug in.

22 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

In a striking move to send the country back toward pre-pandemic life, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday will ease indoor mask-wearing guidance for fully vaccinated people, allowing them to safely stop wearing masks inside in most places, according to a person briefed on the announcement.

The new guidance will still call for wearing masks in crowded indoor settings like buses, planes, hospitals, prisons and homeless shelters, but could ease restrictions for reopening workplaces, schools, and other venues — even removing the need for masks or social distancing for those who are fully vaccinated.

The CDC will also no longer recommend that fully vaccinated people wear masks outdoors in crowds.

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

I just did.

Two responses "Cherry picking data".

One response: "Dems killed their olds off earlier".

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Honestly, is that ludicrous? I suspect that due to our low vax rates, this thing is going to be around forever. It may take a few years, but yeah at some point, pretty much pretty much everybody who isn't vaxxed going to get it, no? Or is some subset of the population truly immune somehow?

(no snark here, legit questions, btw).

Are you assuming that the virus will naturally evolve to be more infectious (as already seems to be happening), but less lethal? Isn't that how these types of viruses usually turn out?

We'll hit herd immunity sooner rather than later, with some combination of vaccine mediated immunity and convalescent immunity.  Israel's cases have basically gone to <1/100,000 @ 65.0% first dose vax coverage, UK's to <4/100k @ 55% first dose coverage, US @ <12/100k @ 46%. Hopefully we can make it to 65%. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We'll hit herd immunity sooner rather than later, with some combination of vaccine mediated immunity and convalescent immunity.  Israel's cases have basically gone to <1/100,000 @ 65.0% first dose vax coverage, UK's to <4/100k @ 55% first dose coverage, US @ <12/100k @ 46%. Hopefully we can make it to 65%. 

Counterpoint, and I'm not thrilled with this part of the conversation, but it's real -- I know of multiple vaccinated people who have tested positive, and some who have become ill.

Realistically, that is the way of the world: we can't eliminate any disease 100%, and no vaccine will work 100% of the time.  It is a GUARANTEE that if we vaccinate everyone, there will still be some COVID cases, and some of those will be in vaccinated people.  So, we have to decide what level of "risk" we are willing to live with.  Because if we set a standard of "distance and wear a mask until there's zero risk," then we just said we're doing that forever.  Which is untenable.

It's really freaking frustrating.

25 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I just did.

Two responses "Cherry picking data".

One response: "Dems killed their olds off earlier".

Both are accurate.  The headline was clickbait.

That analysis was constrained to summer months where R-led states had higher rates, and ignores the other timeframes were rates were higher among D led states, or very similar, and leads with the headline "The data is [sic] in -- and it's damning: States led by GOP governors had higher COVID-19 death rates in 2020".  A better headline might be "During the summer months in particular, states with D governors implementing generally broader and more aggressive mitigation measures performed better than states with R governors."  Overall there should not be much if any differentiation by political party leadership, give that like 4/5 of the states with top rates of death are D led. NY, NJ, MA, RI.    

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7587838/

nihpp-2020.10.08.20209619-f0002.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint, and I'm not thrilled with this part of the conversation, but it's real -- I know of multiple vaccinated people who have tested positive, and some who have become ill.

Realistically, that is the way of the world: we can't eliminate any disease 100%, and no vaccine will work 100% of the time.  It is a GUARANTEE that if we vaccinate everyone, there will still be some COVID cases, and some of those will be in vaccinated people.  So, we have to decide what level of "risk" we are willing to live with.  Because if we set a standard of "distance and wear a mask until there's zero risk," then we just said we're doing that forever.  Which is untenable.

It's really freaking frustrating.

They’re not 100% effective, only 95% for infection, but they are 100% against severe disease. But the more people get vaccinated, the less chance there is of you having that 5% infection . That’s why it’s important to convince everyone, including the concerned parents on DT to get their kids vaccinated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

By ill, do you mean had a cough and a sore throat, or like ended up in the hospital?

Interesting, haven't seen that yet myself, but it is not really a meaningful counterpoint to my comment about herd immunity.  I think/hope that we are closer than we think to hitting the thresholds in Israel and UK and that we see the same outcomes. 

42 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

In a striking move to send the country back toward pre-pandemic life, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday will ease indoor mask-wearing guidance for fully vaccinated people, allowing them to safely stop wearing masks inside in most places, according to a person briefed on the announcement.

The new guidance will still call for wearing masks in crowded indoor settings like buses, planes, hospitals, prisons and homeless shelters, but could ease restrictions for reopening workplaces, schools, and other venues — even removing the need for masks or social distancing for those who are fully vaccinated.

The CDC will also no longer recommend that fully vaccinated people wear masks outdoors in crowds.

What is the reason for having to wear a mask on a plane or bus even if vaccinated?  Didn’t the airlines and all the studies show how safe the air is on an airplane with their filtration systems.  Just trying to figure out why, as a vaccinated person, I should be more concerned about being at a hospital or on a plane versus going to the grocery store or a restaurant.  

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If they offer free Whataburger, can I get double vaccinated?

If we got the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines then we should be able to get a double whataburger. J&J recipients only can get the single. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ivan Drago Reaction GIF

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Truly a fuck around and find out scenario if I ever saw one.

You mean like when you fuck around and find out the article you posted only covered dates from May through July of 2020 and now you look stupid or something else?

• Hook 'Em 1

• Set a deadline (3 weeks) and then close the window for those who were given the opportunity to vaccinate months ago.
    • Scarcity creates demand. 
  • As part of U.S. diplomacy efforts, send those unwanted vaccines to world hotspots where humans are begging to be vaccinated.

Some have a death wish. Grant it and let them live in fear of a horrible death, but remind them their window is closing.

It's time for the loons to put up or shut up. Carrots will not reach all of them; some need the rod of consequences.

~Solomon Sun-Tzu

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:
  • Set a deadline (3 weeks) and then close the window for those who were given the opportunity to vaccinate months ago.
    • Scarcity creates demand. 
  • As part of U.S. diplomacy efforts, send those unwanted vaccines to world hotspots where humans are begging to be vaccinated.

Some have a death wish. Grant it and let them live in fear of a horrible death, but remind them their window is closing.

It's time for the loons to put up or shut up. Carrots will not reach all of them; some need the rod of consequences.

~Solomon Sun-Tzu

Don't disagree with this, but with the caveat that we need to keep sufficient vaccines in reserve domestically for booster regimens through end of 2022. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Both are accurate.  The headline was clickbait.

That analysis was constrained to summer months where R-led states had higher rates, and ignores the other timeframes were rates were higher among D led states, or very similar, and leads with the headline "The data is [sic] in -- and it's damning: States led by GOP governors had higher COVID-19 death rates in 2020".  A better headline might be "During the summer months in particular, states with D governors implementing generally broader and more aggressive mitigation measures performed better than states with R governors."  Overall there should not be much if any differentiation by political party leadership, give that like 4/5 of the states with top rates of death are D led. NY, NJ, MA, RI.    

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7587838/

nihpp-2020.10.08.20209619-f0002.jpg

By "overall", you mean if the data had been for the entire year, there wouldn't have been a (significant) difference?

And good catch on data being plural.

3 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

By "overall", you mean if the data had been for the entire year, there wouldn't have been a (significant) difference?

And good catch on data being plural.

Yeah, by overall referring to full year data. Doesn't appear to be a difference over full course, and if one does exist it is very small. What's interesting is that even that research paper I linked doesn't give the full year results. I can guess why. 

Edited by Anastasis

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, by overall referring to full year data. Doesn't appear to be a difference over full course, and if one does exist it is very small. What's interesting is that even that research paper I linked doesn't give the full year results. I can guess why. 

Seems like it's pretty hard to accurately track what was actually going on in January-April 2020, given we had no fucking tests available.