CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

11 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

There are locations in Beaumont. My point has been the difficulty for some sectors to be vaccinated that with a little more outreach may be accessible. For example, in Beaumont if you live in eastern Beaumont north of the Magnolia cemetery, a lower income area-the closest locations are around two miles away. Not a problem in you have a car, or access to one, or can get one of the free/discounted rides with Lyft/Uber. But not everyone can do that. There are several elementary schools and churches in that area, so why not have a few clinics at those locations and put the word out to get a shot?

Oh come on now. They are uneducated and don’t want the shot. Stop making excuses for that segment of society. Do they also have trouble getting their groceries from 2 miles away?

6 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I grew up in the North End of Beaumont. I know well the area that you’re talking about, and my wife used to volunteer at an elementary school on Pine Street. Definitely poverty stricken area. Even so I seriously doubt transportation is a limiting factor for a significant portion of the people in that area who are unvaccinated. 

I’d guess it’s almost nobody. It’s so easy to get the vaccine now and you don’t have to walk 2 freaking miles to do it. Actually, maybe you do. Because apparently they never venture outside their house or something.

They don’t want it.

11 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

There are locations in Beaumont. My point has been the difficulty for some sectors to be vaccinated that with a little more outreach may be accessible. For example, in Beaumont if you live in eastern Beaumont north of the Magnolia cemetery, a lower income area-the closest locations are around two miles away. Not a problem in you have a car, or access to one, or can get one of the free/discounted rides with Lyft/Uber. But not everyone can do that. There are several elementary schools and churches in that area, so why not have a few clinics at those locations and put the word out to get a shot?

So Port A which is full of a bunch of uneducated citizens put a free clinic on for about a month. After they shot up the people that wanted it they had extras and took those shots to the local,grocery store and tried to give them away to walk-ins. They didn’t come close to using up all,the shots. This was back in late April.

I’m on your page with vaccines but I don’t think you understand that you could show up at a lot of these people’s houses and they still wouldn’t do it. It’s sad.

As an aside, Sherry Tenpenny should have her medical license revoked.  She is fucking dangerous.  

Also, to clarify, she is a DO not an MD (Doctor of osteopathic medicine) which in the US is still a licensed doctor.  Seriously, she is fucking nuts and should have any professional designations stripped.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

So Port A which is full of a bunch of uneducated citizens put a free clinic on for about a month. After they shot up the people that wanted it they had extras and took those shots to the local,grocery store and tried to give them away to walk-ins. They didn’t come close to using up all,the shots. This was back in late April.

I’m on your page with vaccines but I don’t think you understand that you could show up at a lot of these people’s houses and they still wouldn’t do it. It’s sad.

Mel Brooks Morons GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

It is sad. It's something health authorities have been fighting since the days of Mary Mallon (better known as Typhoid Mary). I can't say how much time and effort is worth it when the disinformation and propaganda have already taken their toll. When minority residents are already suspicious of healthcare solutions provided by the government that doesn't really seem to care about them regardless. Officials were already fighting an uphill battle as it were-with the previous administration, with disinformation, with distrust, with apathy, with social media, with targeted distribution. I've told the story on here about the conversation we had with a store employee with whom we have a business relationship and this person is not political but had gotten swept up in the TikTok/Facebook stuff about the "experimental nature" of the mRNA. So my spouse was explaining about mRNA and how it isn't new. This person is not political but got trapped by 'the who do you trust' scenario. Not the least bit lazy, but it had not affected her personally so she was, as are a lot of people, not going to get vaccinated with those downsides taking up her reasoning.

It is what it is. FTR, our local county head says (despite vaccination percentages being below the state average) says he is not going to offer incentives. I still posit that Whataburger missed an opportunity to create some good will.

Yeah, who do you want helping your senior loved one? The one vaccinated against a deadly disease or the one who isn’t? Even if your senior loves one is vaccinated, there’s still a 5% chance they will vulnerable. Not too mention the vulnerable people who can’t get vaccinated, what if they break a leg? Tough shit, good luck 

On 6/10/2021 at 9:33 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

SIAP, skimmed quickly.

It's anecdotal but I recall a news report last year from a small town in Missouri. They were asking people at the local diner if they wore a mask to protect themselves and others against COVID. Their response wasn't "Yes" or even "No because I don't believe a mask prevents the spread." The response "I don't wear a mask because I'm not a Democrat."  

What are the odds of those same yokels getting a vaccine?

On 6/9/2021 at 10:24 AM, hayden_horn said:

agreed. i have a fair amount of healthcare worker friends, and i'm batting a thousand so far in that they believe in the shot and are already vaccinated. 

i simply cannot understand (especially hospital) healthcare workers who are hesitant on this. why even be in a medical field if you don't believe in medical science?

What if they've already been infected & have antibodies? 

• Fuck You 1

Replying to @Nice Guy Eddie

For many I would say low odds, because the identity is so important to them. However, it may depend on if they are wholly Fox viewers versus other RW sources. There have been a few RW sources that discuss GOP leaders having been vaccinated. It's probably still low as shown above in the table, but having that further broken down by age group would be useful as well.

At some point the folks that say, "screw 'em, I'm protected" will need to admit that attitude only works up to a point. If you mean, "I'm protected from death and perhaps hospitalization" the answer is most likely and that may be as good as it gets. But for long term effectiveness, a greater percentage of protection among the populace would go a long way. In this climate, that's going to be difficult and I cannot say how much time and money should be spent on it. The GQP was fine with the cost to society of illness and death among certain demographics. That is a short term callous perspective but it fits their model and worldview.

When we have measles outbreaks due to low vaccination rates for example, some people get upset and others are 'no big deal, my child didn't die so everything is fine.' Those folks have not spent any time reading the historical morbidity and mortality reports for common diseases prior to vaccine development. Even without vaccines, advances in healthcare may improve survival/outcomes but why why why would anyone want the extra pain and suffering and cost to society by throwing the doors open to diseases and their mutant offspring?

Pretty crazy.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

9 minutes ago, lmao said:

What if they've already been infected & have antibodies? 

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Get the vaccine. 

Exactly. Get the vaccine. There is mixed evidence of the antibody protection from having previously having COVID. Some reports are that you're more protected, and others are that you're not. But all reports agree that getting the vaccine should make you more protected than you currently are.

There is also zero evidence that the vaccine causes harm to someone, especially if they have not had reactions to other vaccines.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Exactly. Get the vaccine. There is mixed evidence of the antibody protection from having previously having COVID. Some reports are that you're more protected, and others are that you're not. But all reports agree that getting the vaccine should make you more protected than you currently are.

There is also zero evidence that the vaccine causes harm to someone, especially if they have not had reactions to other vaccines.

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Also, does having the antibodies count towards herd immunity? Or are only the vaccinated considered towards herd immunity? I'm not being obtuse btw, I honestly don't know.

• Fuck You 1

21 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I don't fucking get it. I hate this country sometimes

They’ll lose. Texas employers can fire you for anything. Anti-vax/stupid fucking regard isn’t a protected class

FAAFO

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, lmao said:

Also, does having the antibodies count towards herd immunity? Or are only the vaccinated considered towards herd immunity? I'm not being obtuse btw, I honestly don't know.

That's dependent on who you ask, but in my interested-layman opinion, I would say yes.  Is prior infection less effective than, similar to, or better than a vaccine?  That's above my pay grade.  There certainly does seem to be evidence that prior infection can provide many months of nominal immunity.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's dependent on who you ask, but in my interested-layman opinion, I would say yes.  Is prior infection less effective than, similar to, or better than a vaccine?  That's above my pay grade.  There certainly does seem to be evidence that prior infection can provide many months of nominal immunity.

Cleveland Clinic just released a study that indicated that prior infection provides immunity that's as effective as a vaccine.  That's important information, ESPECIALLY for countries with smaller vaccine supplies deciding how to allocate them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cleveland Clinic just released a study that indicated that prior infection provides immunity that's as effective as a vaccine.  That's important information, ESPECIALLY for countries with smaller vaccine supplies deciding how to allocate them.

I initially asked because a family friend who is a physician said she wouldn't recommend getting vaccinated if you have verifable antibodies already. Pretty sure she tells the public to get vaccinated though that was just her personal opinion. I still got the JJ just to be safe. 

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's great news

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

link please - is the duration as long as the vaccine, because there are many elements to effectiveness. I'd still take the vaccine, so I don't have to get the virus to obtain (or maintain) immunity. 
But maybe that is just me (I'm thinking my dead FIL would opt for the vaccine, instead of dying from Covid - but then he didn't think they were effective) 

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I mean when they do the official numbers, are they only counting the vaccinated towards herd immunity or do they include those with prior infection as well? 

• Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

link please - is the duration as long as the vaccine, because there are many elements to effectiveness. I'd still take the vaccine, so I don't have to get the virus to obtain (or maintain) immunity. 
But maybe that is just me (I'm thinking my dead FIL would opt for the vaccine, instead of dying from Covid - but then he didn't think they were effective) 

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210608/No-point-vaccinating-those-whoe28099ve-had-COVID-19-Findings-of-Cleveland-Clinic-study.aspx

In fairness, the Clinic did follow up to say that more info is needed, and we know for sure that getting vaccinated works, so if you can, still get vaccinated:

https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org/2021/06/09/cleveland-clinic-statement-on-previous-covid-19-infection-research/

But the point is....data is pointing to prior infection contributing to overall herd immunity.

14 minutes ago, lmao said:

I mean when they do the official numbers, are they only counting the vaccinated towards herd immunity or do they include those with prior infection as well? 

From what I've seen, they are only counting vaccinations.  But if prior infection means immunity, then the reality is that we can add double digit percentages to the percentage of immune persons in the US.  Which would seem to track with the overall decline in cases - that level of performance makes sense if we've actually got 60-70% of the population immune already (vaccinated plus prior infections who aren't vaccinated).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lmao said:

No idea.  I don't even know what "official numbers" means.  For one thing, there is the huge wild card of actual infection vs. reported infection -- last time I checked, the CDC estimated that ratio as 4.3X (actual cases to reported cases).  So, if we assume 35M cases in the US, that's one thing, but if we use that 4.3X multiplier, we're at 150M, which is a bit higher than the number of fully vaccinated Americans.  We can't add those two numbers, though, because a certain percentage of those who have caught covid are also fully vaccinated.  How to account for that?  I think it's a very sketchy prediction, to be honest.  At least the number is creeping higher.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210608/No-point-vaccinating-those-whoe28099ve-had-COVID-19-Findings-of-Cleveland-Clinic-study.aspx

In fairness, the Clinic did follow up to say that more info is needed, and we know for sure that getting vaccinated works, so if you can, still get vaccinated:

https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org/2021/06/09/cleveland-clinic-statement-on-previous-covid-19-infection-research/

But the point is....data is pointing to prior infection contributing to overall herd immunity.

From what I've seen, they are only counting vaccinations.  But if prior infection means immunity, then the reality is that we can add double digit percentages to the percentage of immune persons in the US.  Which would seem to track with the overall decline in cases - that level of performance makes sense if we've actually got 60-70% of the population immune already (vaccinated plus prior infections who aren't vaccinated).

I think it gets tricky with the numbers, because there is a way to track and count the number of vaccinated people; but not so with those who were infected. And then you'd have to try and not double count the people who were infected and then got vaccinated (raising my hand)
I was never sick, but sometime between my November blood donation (negative for antibodies) and my February donation (positive for antibodies) it seems like I contracted Covid. And then in May I got me some J&J. 
Like everything else related to the pandemic, there is very little of it where there is a clear direction. IMO some states will count prior infections and some will not, and based on those calculation things will continue to ease but at different rates. A lot will be learned from this pandemic, but I won't be around in 100 years when the next pandemic, hopefully not before, hits.

3 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I think it gets tricky with the numbers, because there is a way to track and count the number of vaccinated people; but not so with those who were infected. And then you'd have to try and not double count the people who were infected and then got vaccinated (raising my hand)
I was never sick, but sometime between my November blood donation (negative for antibodies) and my February donation (positive for antibodies) it seems like I contracted Covid. And then in May I got me some J&J. 
Like everything else related to the pandemic, there is very little of it where there is a clear direction. IMO some states will count prior infections and some will not, and based on those calculation things will continue to ease but at different rates. A lot will be learned from this pandemic, but I won't be around in 100 years when the next pandemic, hopefully not before, hits.

Agreed -- there is clearly significant overlap of vaccinated people who have had prior infection, but there's also a sizable portion who had a prior infection but aren't vaccinated.  If the distribution was truly random (it isn't....my hypothesis is that the "previously infected" crowd has a higher rate of people who disregarded COVID safety etc., and are less likely to be vaccinated), then the distribution would be equal to overall percentages -- if 60% of the population gets a shot, then 60% of the infected got a shot.  That would mean that 40% of the infected population 1) is not represented in the vaccinated percentage of 60%, but 2) IS immune, and should be counted in the total percentage of immune people.  So, if 33% of the population has been infected, and 60% of the population has gotten a shot, then 60% of that 33% was already immune and doesn't add to the total immunity count, but 40% of that 33% (so, around 13% of the total population) is immune solely because of prior infection, and should be added to the 60%, so that 73% of the population is now immune.

Again, we know the distribution is NOT random, but that does give us some idea -- the total percentage of the population that is now immune is materially higher than the percentage that has to shot.  I would expect that it's 10-15% higher, but we'd need to run real-deal studies looking for that exact answer to know for sure.

6 minutes ago, RPM said:

Was told today if we are fully vaccinated we no longer have to wear a mask at work and it is honor system. 

welp, if any of your coworkers dies in the next couple months you probably know why

what would stop vaccinated people from suing their employers for NOT requiring getting vaxed?

He really came out of the woodwork as America’s worst senator,* seemingly starting with the Ukraine stuff. 

cruz, Hawley, cotton, whoever all seem to be willing to play along with rubes for personal advancement.  Johnson seems like he actively tries to hurt the country as the end goal itself. 

*non-Mcconnell division. 

• Hook 'Em 3