CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

We are about to find our how many anti-vaxxers are employed at the VA

Interesting timing after this little report came out:

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/23/texas-coronavirus-veterans-homes-george-p-bush/

Seven of the state’s nine veterans homes had a fatality rate of 25% or more, far higher than the statewide average of 11% for nursing homes. 

Nursing homes, which care for people who are already medically vulnerable, were ravaged by the pandemic. But Texas’ state-run veterans homes were often the deadliest places to be.

The nine state homes had more than double the death rate among COVID-19-infected residents compared with other nursing homes in the state, according to a Texas Tribune-Houston Chronicle analysis of state data from the pandemic’s start until June 2021.

Those aren't VA facilities, but it's not a good look.

jesus fuck it's so goddamned tedious to have these mouth-breathing fucks in this country.

we're going to be in COVID perpetuity because these goddamned loonies...... soooooo sick of this shit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Won’t matter in TX and other red states where governors like Hot Wheels has made it illegal for districts to require them. 

It'll be a battle with the Karens and parents that he's not going to like.  There's millions of kids still not vaccinated, and won't be until early next year.

Yeah, yeah, it's not that bad among kids, but this Delta variant is spreading like crazy, far more than what we saw last year, and it's knocking plenty of unvaccinated people down.

4 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Where do you get the N95 (?) filters for these?

Edit:  Actually, based off a reddit recommendation I ordered some of these.

They give you like ten of them when you buy the mask, and I think you can buy more from them. Each one is rated to last around 50ish hours, I think? The masks you linked to are fine, I'm sure, but decidedly not cute.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Pretty funny (is that the right word?) to see these statistics while my company is ordering everyone back to the office on Monday.

Ugh.  We're ordered back on Aug. 17 -- when numbers should be even higher---and it's also the first day of school in AISD. Awesome leadership.

• Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Where do you get the N95 (?) filters for these?

Edit:  Actually, based off a reddit recommendation I ordered some of these.

Oh wait, I looked a little closer at the ones you linked. I haven't looked up recent science on this, but I know masks with air vents are generally considered undesirable, as they offer only one way protection compared to ventless masks. But again, I haven't seen any up to date science on the issue.

I do have a theory though. I've noticed that a majority percentage of the people who wear masks with valves are men, and I think this is because mask-hesitant/ambivalent men can justify wearing them because they look more "tactical" than the traditional masks.

Edited by trauma babe
words
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Ah yes, the dog whistle, the meaningful pause, the stage whisper, and the arched eyebrow. The old-school Alabama conversational toolkit.

What do you do for a living?  Please tell me you're an essayist for something like The Atlantic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Oh wait, I looked a little closer at the ones you linked. I haven't looked up recent science on this, but I know masks with air vents are generally considered undesirable, as they offer only one way protection compared to ventless masks. But again, I haven't seen any up to date science on the issue.

I do have a theory though. I've noticed that a majority percentage of the people who wear masks with valves are men, and I think this is because mask-hesitant/ambivalent men can justify wearing them because they look more "tactical" than the traditional masks.

uh, oh crap. 

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What do you do for a living?  Please tell me you're an essayist for something like The Atlantic.

I draw cartoons. Not political cartoons, because those are boring. I also wait for my wife to get her paycheck every month.

Never been in the Atlantic, but I used to have multiple rejection letters from them. The letters are really nice, like, almost printmaking quality.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2021 at 8:38 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Getting a shot of Pfizer at Walgreens on 45th tomorrow on top of my J&J from March.  On recs of an internal medicine doc and an infectious disease doc.  Maybe I'll get super powers.

To follow up on this, today my arm is sore, but haven't felt sick at all yet.  Almost 24 hours after.  That's a nice surprise.  I was bracing for it to knock me down for a day like the J&J did.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, YChang said:

To clarify when your saw the question, “Has the patient received a dose of COVID-19 vaccination yet?” 

You picked no? I mean technically it’s true for me (J&J for me as well)… because their options is No or Yes (Moderna or Pfizer). 

I recently received a 3rd pfizer shot at CVS. They specifically asked on their online form whether I was scheduling my 1st or 2nd. I lied and said it was my first. I also checked a box that I didn't want the vaccine reported to the state. I don't fully understand what that means.

Hopefully I wasn't reported to the state as a new vaccination. One person doesn't change the percentages but enough could.

Also I assume that if my previous 2 shots had been at CVS, they would have caught me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I recently received a 3rd pfizer shot at CVS. They specifically asked on their online form whether I was scheduling my 1st or 2nd. I lied and said it was my first. I also checked a box that I didn't want the vaccine reported to the state. I don't fully understand what that means.

Hopefully I wasn't reported to the state as a new vaccination. One person doesn't change the percentages but enough could.

Also I assume that if my previous 2 shots had been at CVS, they would have caught me.

Unfortunately the CDC is going to be slow to issue formal guidance on what JNJ people should do, and what role a 3rd dose booster might be able to play. By the time that they get around to addressing the topic, we will be on hopefully a steep ride down from delta peak. The CDC/FDA machinery just doesn't move at the speed necessary during an emerging pandemic, both for better and for worse. 

Relatedly,

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The data is so fucked.  I got J&J in Grimes county and a single shot of Pfizer in Travis and am skipping the 2nd Pfizer shot, so I'm sure they will view that as an incomplete vaccination.

10 hours ago, F250 said:

I didn't know that this was still a thing.

It definitely is. The IDW is in a little civil war right now because Bret Weinstein is making the rest of them look bad by pushing ivermectin over the vaccine based on some really shitty studies.

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Unfortunately the CDC is going to be slow to issue formal guidance on what JNJ people should do, and what role a 3rd dose booster might be able to play. By the time that they get around to addressing the topic, we will be on hopefully a steep ride down from delta peak.

Just eyeballing the graphs, it appears we are lagging the UK by about 5 weeks or so.  Delta peaked there around July 20.  So, maybe we'll peak ~ late August?  That's a lot of disease.

I realize my prediction method is perhaps a tad unscientific . . .

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just eyeballing the graphs, it appears we are lagging the UK by about 5 weeks or so.  Delta peaked there around July 20.  So, maybe we'll peak ~ late August?  That's a lot of disease.

I realize my prediction method is perhaps a tad unscientific . . .

Feels right to me, with many regions spanning into September. My concern is what happens when we go back to school and what impact that has. 

The UK models are interesting and perhaps predictive but they're also have big differences with us. The UK is 1/3 the area of Texas but more than double the population. The UK is also more vaccinated than Texas.

From the graphs I've seen, Texas has barely entered into a Delta wave. I suggest that we watch Florida. They're slightly ahead of us in this wave and somewhat similar to Texas with a mix of cities and rural areas. One downside of looking to Florida is that they're obfuscating their reported data. I assume for political reasons as DeSantis holds himself up as the governor that beat covid.

Capture - Copy.JPG

31 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Feels right to me, with many regions spanning into September. My concern is what happens when we go back to school and what impact that has. 

Sweet.  Right now my company is forcing us back into the office the first week of September.  What could go wrong?

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

I’m glad people are saying this. The only reason Covid is still a thing in this country is because we simply have too many stupid fucking morons who live here.

Not just that... we're too stupid to let the really stupid people die.

evolution haters GIF

The bullshit misinformation on the internet absolutely boggles the mind.

Coronavirus Spreading Among the Vaccinated in Highly Vaccinated Countries (uh, no, it's not dipshit)

Infections in Vaccinated People in U.K. are Outpacing Infections in the Unvaccinated.

And this is the article cited- from some fucking cite called "The Vaccine Reaction".  For fucks sake.

https://thevaccinereaction.org/2021/07/coronavirus-spreading-among-the-vaccinated-in-highly-vaccinated-countries/?fbclid=IwAR3LW8JYAsjOG7co0S6Qa9XtBuqk4***hXPCnAWmeEfcb6JsS7NlktgXUSk

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

My scientific analysis is that when kids go back to school in September were fucked. Hope I’m wrong. 

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

I’m glad people are saying this. The only reason Covid is still a thing in this country is because we simply have too many stupid fucking morons who live here.

The unfunny assholes at The Babylon Bee are saying the opposite. “Masks and vaccines didn’t stop Covid the first time” says humorless satire publication aimed at precisely the same dipshits who kept Covid spreading by not wearing masks and not getting vaccinated. 

2 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Not just that... we're too stupid to let the really stupid people die.

evolution haters GIF

Unfortunately, Covid’s not good enough at killing people. Mostly it just racks up medical expenses that the rest of us cover through higher premiums and prices. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So I got my second shot on May 22. At Javits. How does one go about getting a third shot.

Both Israel and Gibraltar vaccinated early and the Delta data from there seems to suggest the breakthroughs are mostly occurring in people between 4-6+ months after vaccination. Mostly.

There's a bunch of caveats, this is predominantly older people and immunocompromised folks etc, so if anything, it should skew as losing effectiveness slightly earlier than we'll see in a normal population. 

The Israeli data looks bad, the UK data looks good. One big difference between them was time, Israel vaccinated earlier and there are many more people at the 4-6+ month mark than in the UK. 

Personally, I'd feel reasonably comfortable that I still had good protection from Delta via the vaccine two months after dose 2, especially if it was Moderna. I'd still mask up to keep viral load exposures low though. Valved N95s are back in stock and super comfortable with a paper one over it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pods said:

Both Israel and Gibraltar vaccinated early and the Delta data from there seems to suggest the breakthroughs are mostly occurring in people between 4-6+ months after vaccination. Mostly.

There's a bunch of caveats, this is predominantly older people and immunocompromised folks etc, so if anything, it should skew as losing effectiveness slightly earlier than we'll see in a normal population. 

The Israeli data looks bad, the UK data looks good. One big difference between them was time, Israel vaccinated earlier and there are many more people at the 4-6+ month mark than in the UK. 

Personally, I'd feel reasonably comfortable that I still had good protection from Delta via the vaccine two months after dose 2, especially if it was Moderna. I'd still mask up to keep viral load exposures low though. Valved N95s are back in stock and super comfortable with a paper one over it. 

This sorta tracks w/ my experience.

Received 2nd does moderna on 3/30.

Got COVID 3.5 months later.

But also not old or immunocompromised.

Who Knows Idk GIF

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The data is so fucked.  I got J&J in Grimes county and a single shot of Pfizer in Travis and am skipping the 2nd Pfizer shot, so I'm sure they will view that as an incomplete vaccination.

Yeah, wife and I got our second shots at different places than our first so I know we’re counted as only getting the first shot.