CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Map on this link shows county by county break out for what is severe. I apologize for Hays County. Texas State is going full in residence with recommendation for vaccines, not mandatory. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/28/heres-a-map-of-the-covid-hot-spots-under-the-cdcs-new-mask-guidance.html

So it is just a matter of time our new Sorority, Delta Gamma Lambda creates a mutant to invade 6 Street. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Pods said:

Both Israel and Gibraltar vaccinated early and the Delta data from there seems to suggest the breakthroughs are mostly occurring in people between 4-6+ months after vaccination. Mostly.

There's a bunch of caveats, this is predominantly older people and immunocompromised folks etc, so if anything, it should skew as losing effectiveness slightly earlier than we'll see in a normal population. 

The Israeli data looks bad, the UK data looks good. One big difference between them was time, Israel vaccinated earlier and there are many more people at the 4-6+ month mark than in the UK. 

Personally, I'd feel reasonably comfortable that I still had good protection from Delta via the vaccine two months after dose 2, especially if it was Moderna. I'd still mask up to keep viral load exposures low though. Valved N95s are back in stock and super comfortable with a paper one over it. 

I am not even 2 months fully vaxxed.  I am neither old or immunocompromised, so I have that going for me, which is nice.  

I wear a mask most places indoors, though I do not wear them walking on the street at the moment unless it gets really crowded, but I do not use the N95 with the valve (isn't the valve disallowed on airplanes?).  I wear the Evolve Together mask, and have used those the entire pandemic.  They are the most comfortable, IMO.  

I think I have said it, but I think I had this crap before New York had confirmed its first travel case.  I was really sick in late January/early Feb 2020 with a really bad cold where I lost my sense of taste and smell.  I thought it was just a bad cold, as it mirrored that except for the loss of taste.  In the winter surge, I was exposed multiple times, and had multiple friends come down with it, but I tested negative every single time.  I never go the antibody test as I pass out when my blood is drawn (I am good at getting shots, but cannot get blood drawn without passing out.  It is really weird).  

Thakns, Pods.  I appreciate it.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Map could have used another gear, because once you break 100+ out of 100,000 people you go in the same category as some place with 8 times that, while the county with 95 out of 100,000 shows up as a safer color. Unfortunately I fear we will get all the super-detailed maps we'd ever want to see in the next few days.

Alabama Black Belt counties holding their own so far. Worst spots I found are down in Dothan close to Florida, Mobile area, and Bibb County (sort of in the nowhere zone below Bham/Tuscaloosa.) Bibb County is also the most infested county with Confederate battle flags I have seen recently, and it dates to the Trump era. Somebody went through there a year or two ago and made bank.

If our counties were small like Georgia's the Birmingham metro would probably show up looking more like the Atlanta area.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am not even 2 months fully vaxxed.  I am neither old or immunocompromised, so I have that going for me, which is nice.  

I wear a mask most places indoors, though I do not wear them walking on the street at the moment unless it gets really crowded, but I do not use the N95 with the valve (isn't the valve disallowed on airplanes?).  I wear the Evolve Together mask, and have used those the entire pandemic.  They are the most comfortable, IMO.  

I think I have said it, but I think I had this crap before New York had confirmed its first travel case.  I was really sick in late January/early Feb 2020 with a really bad cold where I lost my sense of taste and smell.  I thought it was just a bad cold, as it mirrored that except for the loss of taste.  In the winter surge, I was exposed multiple times, and had multiple friends come down with it, but I tested negative every single time.  I never go the antibody test as I pass out when my blood is drawn (I am good at getting shots, but cannot get blood drawn without passing out.  It is really weird).  

Thakns, Pods.  I appreciate it.

Yep, and was told I had strep with no strep test given. Anyways, is this your brother? 

image.png.2e72a1c259186934152ff6b2ad9d9971.png

Map could have used another gear, because once you break 100+ out of 100,000 people you go in the same category as some place with 8 times that, while the county with 95 out of 100,000 shows up as a safer color. Unfortunately I fear we will get all the super-detailed maps we'd ever want to see in the next few days.
Alabama Black Belt counties holding their own so far. Worst spots I found are down in Dothan close to Florida, Mobile area, and Bibb County (sort of in the nowhere zone below Bham/Tuscaloosa.) Bibb County is also the most infested county with Confederate battle flags I have seen recently, and it dates to the Trump era. Somebody went through there a year or two ago and made bank.
If our counties were small like Georgia's the Birmingham metro would probably show up looking more like the Atlanta area.

I read somewhere - and now I can’t find it but I think it was in something by Kyle Whitmire - that the counties in Alabama with the best vaccination rates are the predominantly Black counties.

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I read somewhere - and now I can’t find it but I think it was in something by Kyle Whitmire - that the counties in Alabama with the best vaccination rates are the predominantly Black counties.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

Looks like Alabama sucks across the board.

25 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

That’s generally true in Arkansas.  Lowest counties are the rural and exclusively white counties.

I was trying to find Olympic broadcasts and mistyped a channel (36 -> 366), ending up on some sort of Christian "news" program.  The guy being interviewed led off with the bold new take about the Democrats founding the KKK, and then he moved on to "60% of covid patients in Israel are vaccinated".

Uh, no?  60% of Israelis have been vaccinated, but I'm sure that little nugget will start spreading like wildfire.

I Hate America.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The guy being interviewed led off with the bold new take about the Democrats founding the KKK.

To be fair, he's probably right about this, except that all of those who would have been democrats back then are now Trumpublicans.

4 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Maybe all the right wingers giving permission to their flock to get shots is working. Sarah sanders had that article in AR, Tuberville had some statement.  

I guess whatever works at this point, but my god, imagine being this way.  

I was trying to find Olympic broadcasts and mistyped a channel (36 -> 366), ending up on some sort of Christian "news" program.  The guy being interviewed led off with the bold new take about the Democrats founding the KKK, and then he moved on to "60% of covid patients in Israel are vaccinated".
Uh, no?  60% of Israelis have been vaccinated, but I'm sure that little nugget will start spreading like wildfire.
I Hate America.

I point out to these people that If 100% of the population is vaccinated, then 100% of COVID patients will be vaccinated.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, HenryJames said:

7 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

See, he is really a good guy!  

Actually, McConnell could solve world hunger and I would still think he is a piece of shit.

I know he had polio when he was younger, but I honestly feel like he's doing this because his data people are seeing some bad numbers that impact/reflect Republican voters.

12 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

To be fair, he's probably right about this, except that all of those who would have been democrats back then are now Trumpublicans.

It's such an absurd angle, but they know it will work, so on we go.  It's as if nobody understands how the parties shifted post-WWII.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I Hate America.

The Israeli data on proportion of cases means jack shit*.

Let's consider something restricted to adults to illustrate. 

Population = 1000 adults

Vaccinated = 850; Unvaxxed = 150 (this is close to Israel's adult vax rate). 

Assume cases among Vaxxed = 15 and among unvaxxed = 15. (50% of cases are vaccinated OMG). 

That works out to a VE of approximately 85%. 

Actually, the data do mean something, but it is lost on the math challenged televangelists. The data mean the fucking vaccines are working you dumb fucks. 

And if they need further illustration, look at the decoupling of cases and deaths. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

And if they need further illustration, look at the decoupling of cases and deaths. 

This is the overwhelmingly obvious answer.  It may not pass peer review, but it's pretty damn telling, along with the vax/unvax ratio of those who die.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is the overwhelmingly obvious answer.  It may not pass peer review, but it's pretty damn telling, along with the vax/unvax ratio of those who die.

It will, it's just going to be a while before the data is collected, analyzed, written, reviewed and published. The same signal has appeared strongly in every country, the vaccines are allowing infections at a reduced rate, but are squashing the fuck out of the death rate. Fully vaccinated people are still being hospitalized and some of them are dying, but at much lower rates than the unvaccinated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pods said:

It will, it's just going to be a while before the data is collected, analyzed, written, reviewed and published. The same signal has appeared strongly in every country, the vaccines are allowing infections at a reduced rate, but are squashing the fuck out of the death rate. Fully vaccinated people are still being hospitalized and some of them are dying, but at much lower rates than the unvaccinated. 

Case counts are fucked up and influenced by testing requirements, esp in a country like Israel where they are arguably over testing asymptomatic cases.  Same here in situations where we are getting lots of pings in settings where broad testing requirements among vaccinated are being implemented. Hospitalization and death are the real endpoints. And the data are extremely clear. 

Where did @triplehorn go?  Hope that he is doing well, but with less quacking.

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD015017.pub2/full

Based on the current very low‐ to low‐certainty evidence, we are uncertain about the efficacy and safety of ivermectin used to treat or prevent COVID‐19. The completed studies are small and few are considered high quality. Several studies are underway that may produce clearer answers in review updates. Overall, the reliable evidence available does not support the use ivermectin for treatment or prevention of COVID‐19 outside of well‐designed randomized trials.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I guess whatever works at this point, but my god, imagine being this way.  

people who've been conned refuse to acknowledge they've been conned, even when they know they've been conned. so they need help to do so. a 32 tweet thread:

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 4

36 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Case counts are fucked up and influenced by testing requirements, esp in a country like Israel where they are arguably over testing asymptomatic cases.  Same here in situations where we are getting lots of pings in settings where broad testing requirements among vaccinated are being implemented. Hospitalization and death are the real endpoints. And the data are extremely clear. 

Long covid is another end point that should be considered as well. We've done a remarkably poor job addressing it, considering it's a huge problem in "recovered" SARS and MERS patients and should have been anticipated the moment this disease was identified. Millions of people are now dealing with chronic health conditions impacting their brains, cardiovascular and/or digestive systems.

One quarter of people that were mild enough not to require hospitalization have symptoms 2 months later. Hospitalized is even worse. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/health/long-covid-asymptomatic.html

The study, one of the first to focus exclusively on people who never needed to be hospitalized when they were infected, analyzed electronic medical records of 1,407 people in California who tested positive for the coronavirus. More than 60 days after their infection, 27 percent, or 382 people, were struggling with post-Covid symptomslike shortness of breath, chest pain, cough or abdominal pain.

Anecdotally, a friend of mine has long covid and has had severe diarrhea for 6 months. They've lost almost 40 pounds and are now dangerously anorexic. Their doctor has no idea if/when they will have normal bowel function again. 

It's not hospitalization and it's not death, but it's a pretty nasty endpoint for them to deal with for the foreseeable future. It's why I'm wearing a mask, even though I'm fully vaccinated. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Pods said:

Long covid is another end point that should be considered as well.

Agreed. Done some work specific to this. What we are seeing is that the rates of specific complications are difficult to untangle from background rates, and to the extent that we can construct similar comparison groups, the overall rates are generally similar to what is seen after other acute viral infections such as influenza. The impacts are real, but the population level impacts appear to be driven by the shear magnitude of covid cases, rather than something unique to COVID. Lots of limitations to those observations, but FWIW. 

24 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Atlanta just went back to masks required in public indoors. Our biggest school district said masks will be required for all students regardless of vax status when they go back on the 9th.

Here we go again.

We are too dumb for complete freedom. It’s that simple. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

This reporting is rather misleading, at least re: Netflix. They're mandating vaccines for actors and those who come in close contact with actors on their productions.

Not that I expect thorough reporting from BNO. Why start now, etc.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

people who've been conned refuse to acknowledge they've been conned, even when they know they've been conned. so they need help to do so. a 32 tweet thread:

That's a good read. I don't know what it is going to take to find coolers. Perhaps Hannity will move the needle some. Maybe Gran Gov Ivey a little bit. Hutchinson couldn't inspire clay to be a clod.

Most of them are throwing fuel on the fire. 

I'd like to think that the tales of deathbed conversions would influence those still making life and death decisions, but the cynic in me says that it will be only a small portion. I suppose I should be thankful for that. 

Meanwhile, I am trying to decide how I am going to wrangle a booster shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I mean, you wanna be scared of the vax, I can dig it. But you wanna pack a bunch of old people together to play "Let's Pretend There's No Virus?" Aw HELL naw.

It's possible I may have fewer obligations as a club officer soon.

On the plus side, you'll have a bunch of positions to fill.

Wait, that's not really a plus, is it?

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Gotdammit.

I am an officer in a little club that has lots of elderly members, and a few silly anti-vaxxers who generally go around being wind-chime idiots but such is life.

Another officer, who is an anti-vaxxer, calls me up to see if I want to have an indoors dinner meeting for the club in September. We used to do these a fair amount, and they were fun, BECAUSE THERE WASN'T A PANDEMIC SWEEPING AWAY OLD PEOPLE.

I knew this was in the works, and had my answer-- the only way I'd do a meeting in September is if we had it outdoors as some sort of picnic.

She: "Oh REALLY? But WHY?"

Me: "It's getting bad, I don't know if you've been keeping up with--"

She: "Oh I keep up with all the propaganda, but--"

It's possible at that point I went fuckin berserk. I pointed out my friend's dead mom last week, and my (so far alive) own cousin sitting in the hospital right now. I may have encouraged her to stop being a Flat Earther. I don't remember what else I said, but I am sure it is winging its way through the Trumpoverse.

I mean, you wanna be scared of the vax, I can dig it. But you wanna pack a bunch of old people together to play "Let's Pretend There's No Virus?" Aw HELL naw.

More time to impart grizzled wisdom on us

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Gotdammit.

I am an officer in a little club that has lots of elderly members, and a few silly anti-vaxxers who generally go around being wind-chime idiots but such is life.

Another officer, who is an anti-vaxxer, calls me up to see if I want to have an indoors dinner meeting for the club in September. We used to do these a fair amount, and they were fun, BECAUSE THERE WASN'T A PANDEMIC SWEEPING AWAY OLD PEOPLE.

I knew this was in the works, and had my answer-- the only way I'd do a meeting in September is if we had it outdoors as some sort of picnic.

She: "Oh REALLY? But WHY?"

Me: "It's getting bad, I don't know if you've been keeping up with--"

She: "Oh I keep up with all the propaganda, but--"

It's possible at that point I went fuckin berserk. I pointed out my friend's dead mom last week, and my (so far alive) own cousin sitting in the hospital right now. I may have encouraged her to stop being a Flat Earther. I don't remember what else I said, but I am sure it is winging its way through the Trumpoverse.

Update. Talked again later, s'alright.

Neither one of us is going to change our views on the virus, but we agreed to "theoretically" work together as if the worst case is true, and we'll be having the dinner, outside, on a wind-swept patio of my choice.

She had not caught my Nicholas-Cage-"Chrissy-Bring-Me-The-Big-Knife" side before. Maybe I should use it more.

• Hook 'Em 4