CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m against mask mandates. Let the delta variant burn through the unvaccinated as fast as possible. Give away NASCAR and Skynyrd tickets so they all get together.

I was thinking about how native Americans were decimated by blankets with small pox and an idea coalesced.  It's pretty simple really, especially since they're storming public places maskless.  

32 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I hate all these people. I hope some of them catch COVID ASAP.  Apparently Ron Wright dying in Feb wasn't enough for these fuckers.

Herman Cain died but too, he was black, so it didn't count.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

At what point is it reasonable to start viewing this as them attempting to wage biological warfare against the rest of America?

But Trump is vaccinated. It's difficult to fathom the level of stupid in this country.  

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Uninsured non-seniors have a lower vaccination rate than white evangelicals, Republicans, or rural residents. Suggests to me that concerns around vax access, lack of trust in US health care, and fears of bad side effects might drive a bit of the no-vax sentiment.

Why would uninsured be vaccine hesitant? It’s free to them, and they can try and proactively not get something that will put them in a hospital and rack up real dollars and bills, saddling them with debt and being a further burden to tax payers.

If anything, if you don’t have private insurance, you should be forced to get the vax. If you have insurance or have the money to pay out of pocket if the worst case scenario happens, then do you.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Of course aggy/Titans QB Ryan Tannehill said he wouldn't have gotten vaccinated if not for the NFL's new COVID protocols.

https://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/31327/titans-ryan-tannehill-nfl-trying-to-force-our-hands-on-covid-19-vaccines

Citing vague risks, general uncomfort with vaccines, and "personal choice"...despite have doctors and medical professionals visit the damn locker room and explain this shit to them.

Grandma (wife’s) was visiting the baby and catching us up on all the shit back home. My MAGA brother in law apparently isn’t getting vaccinated because the government shouldn’t be getting up in people’s business. I thought “hmm, I wonder if he realizes he’s not actually all that young anymore and that he’s fat “. Anyways guess who is in the hospital with Covid and oxygen down to 80. I guess I need to look up how worried we should be. He’s a good guy, just an idiot. Fuck he’s not even all that stupid, just the right kind of stupid to take the conspiracy theory shortcut to feeling smart. Hope he recovers and I can give him some shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

My MAGA sister isn’t getting vaccinated, which stunned me as everyone else in my family, Republican or not, eagerly got the shot. I was even more stunned that she had dinner with my 94-year old grandmother last week. I don’t even know how to confront her about this. She and her moron fiancee are trying to plan a honeymoon. Italy is out because of vaccination proof, so they are pivoting to Hawaii (that shouldn’t last long). Her bachelorette party is supposed to be out here in Napa, but 10/11 girls aren’t vaccinated. Hate to break it to them, but that’s not going to happen either (though they are worried about another CA lockdown, because apparently that’s a thing among the OAN crowd). Why the hell is the so hard?

54 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Grandma (wife’s) was visiting the baby and catching us up on all the shit back home. My MAGA brother in law apparently isn’t getting vaccinated because the government shouldn’t be getting up in people’s business. I thought “hmm, I wonder if he realizes he’s not actually all that young anymore and that he’s fat “. Anyways guess who is in the hospital with Covid and oxygen down to 80. I guess I need to look up how worried we should be. He’s a good guy, just an idiot. Fuck he’s not even all that stupid, just the right kind of stupid to take the conspiracy theory shortcut to feeling smart. Hope he recovers and I can give him some shit.

SpO2 down to 80% is really not good. If he's fat, you should worry, especially if he's on hi-flow O2 and still only at 80%. That is closing in on intubation time with our policies. 

Edited by trauma babe
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

though they are worried about another CA lockdown, because apparently that’s a thing among the OAN crowd

Dude, every time I call my dad in Arizona to chat, his dumb ass wife jumps on to make some hair-brained joke about how we must be fairing in southern California with all the mandates being enforced to keep everyone locked in their houses. Bitch, the vaccinated have been without masks for a couple of months, and they're not "passporting" anyone...just like most of the rest of the country. They are just fed a constant diet of absolute lies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

SpO2 down to 80% is really not good. If he's fat, you should worry, especially if he's on hi-flow O2 and still only at 80%. That is closing in on intubation time with our policies. 

Thanks, I’m hoping that I’m getting some slightly off second hand data, but we may need to look at flights for the wife in the morning

6 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Fucking professional contrarians trying to pimp nonsense miracle cures when we have an amazing fucking vaccine, because only lame normies follow the crowd and they'd lose Patreon subscribers if they looked like a lame normie, are absolute scum. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Prior to getting my asthma under control, I was hospitalized a few times with pneumonia, once bacterial.  My O2 dropped to 90% on that visit and I felt like I was dying.

Probably too late for the late comers to appreciably bend the trend but better late than never. First shots needed to go in arms a couple weeks ago. Delta gonna burn up and down quickly. 

I read that last week somewhere that Delta was so contagious and aggressive it would run out of hosts quicker than the OG Covid.

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I read that last week somewhere that Delta was so contagious and aggressive it would run out of hosts quicker than the OG Covid.

Hope for the best; plan for the worst.

We tried to sweep the forest with vaccines, but . . . a large portion of America lives in news/media silos that don't give a fuck. There is a lot of fuel out there.

I hope the vax numbers are real . . . and not just boosters for the early vaccinated and under-vaccinated.

Shots in arms - now.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

talked about this today, delta 2.0 is going to be especially brutal on the non vaccinated when it starts rolling out 

Cross post from the GQP thread but my ultra maga “friend” also sent me this. Just unreal. How stupid do you have to be to think this is how airborne viruses work!?!!?!? God damn we got some stupid stupid brainwashed mother fuckers in this country 

86C86571-F8DF-4146-9868-9557C07C8925.png

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Cross post from the GQP thread but my ultra maga “friend” also sent me this. Just unreal. How stupid do you have to be to think this is how airborne viruses work!?!!?!? God damn we got some stupid stupid brainwashed mother fuckers in this country 

86C86571-F8DF-4146-9868-9557C07C8925.png

Well you see the beast can’t come out because the sun hurts his eyes. Yeah fuck the sun, I fucking hate it too, long live the fucking beast. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

That’s unfortunate because he’s right 

Agreed.

If you are vaccinated, live your life. 

I don’t like the idea of a possibility where governments force a vaccination in your body, but I also feel like if you take the risk, you own the results. And we should means test who should be able to take potentially expensive risks and have an underwriter review if you have enough liquid cash or good enough insurance to pay for an extended hospital stay because you aren’t vaxxed.

• Fuck You 1

I should add a footnote regarding the radio host. His station, after asking for thoughts and prayers, has gone back to tweeting about any and all RW outrages and pretty much ignoring vaccines and COVID other than mask complaints and noting that more people have died in DC recently due to gun violence than COVID (keeping in mind that DC's vaccination rate is 75% (adults with one dose) and Tennessee is running at 45%. The fill in for Valentine's show is a fellow from Dallas who likes to retweet Catturd. 🙄

20 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I should add a footnote regarding the radio host. His station, after asking for thoughts and prayers, has gone back to tweeting about any and all RW outrages and pretty much ignoring vaccines and COVID other than mask complaints and noting that more people have died in DC recently due to gun violence than COVID (keeping in mind that DC's vaccination rate is 75% (adults with one dose) and Tennessee is running at 45%. The fill in for Valentine's show is a fellow from Dallas who likes to retweet Catturd. 🙄

Fuck it, let 'em kill off their base.  

unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

Gotdammit.
I am an officer in a little club that has lots of elderly members, and a few silly anti-vaxxers who generally go around being wind-chime idiots but such is life.
Another officer, who is an anti-vaxxer, calls me up to see if I want to have an indoors dinner meeting for the club in September. We used to do these a fair amount, and they were fun, BECAUSE THERE WASN'T A PANDEMIC SWEEPING AWAY OLD PEOPLE.
I knew this was in the works, and had my answer-- the only way I'd do a meeting in September is if we had it outdoors as some sort of picnic.
She: "Oh REALLY? But WHY?"
Me: "It's getting bad, I don't know if you've been keeping up with--"
She: "Oh I keep up with all the propaganda, but--"

It's possible at that point I went fuckin berserk. I pointed out my friend's dead mom last week, and my (so far alive) own cousin sitting in the hospital right now. I may have encouraged her to stop being a Flat Earther. I don't remember what else I said, but I am sure it is winging its way through the Trumpoverse.
I mean, you wanna be scared of the vax, I can dig it. But you wanna pack a bunch of old people together to play "Let's Pretend There's No Virus?" Aw HELL naw.
It's possible I may have fewer obligations as a club officer soon.

Crisis actor!
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

I just don't fucking get it. Should we hang Jenny McCarthy up by her toes since she started all this shit? We had 200+ years of good science and a dumb twat who got naked once ruined it for everyone.

I just had to cancel some weekend plans that I was really looking forward to. My gf's crew was having a get-together and it was going to be a reunion of sorts as many of the people attending hadn't seen each other in a while. On the group text thread where everyone was organizing what they were bringing, it was revealed that almost no one was vaccinated. Me and my gf and one other couple (incidentally, the couple we're going to visit in USVI in a couple weeks who are in town visiting family) appeared to be the only ones vaxed. We're also the only ones without kids. There was bunch of talk about everyone getting tested before the gathering to make sure no one had covid. One attendee mentioned they were going to an all-day baby shower the day before with a bunch of kids and unvaxed peeps. I told my gf hell to the nope. We have to submit a negative covid test no more than 5 days prior to our trip. We both agreed we'll self quarantine, if we have to, to make sure we can travel. I don't get it. Many of these are college educated people. They're all seemingly smart and relatively normal. Yet they seem unfazed about potentially repeatedly exposing themselves and their children to a virus that has killed millions. I cannot be a part of that. I will not have on my conscious that I possibly transmitted covid to a kid that died from it. How do their own parents not have at least that much compassion for their children? It's fucking maddening.

I offer my services to punish her.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/28/2021 at 6:33 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Gotdammit.

I am an officer in a little club that has lots of elderly members, and a few silly anti-vaxxers who generally go around being wind-chime idiots but such is life.

I've never heard such an idiom before. It's perfectly descriptive. Is this an Alabamaism or have I just been missing out?

So I'm starting to see (here and elsewhere) what is looking like a new talking point from many of those who previously were "it's the flu" and "Fauci lied", etc.

"Delta is just gonna burn itself out through the unvaccinated and this wave will be over fast."  Which is code for "we shouldn't be implementing vaccine or mask mandates."

tenor.gif

59c912db216ac16ba61c31fb3bd95325.gif

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Mole said:

I've never heard such an idiom before. It's perfectly descriptive. Is this an Alabamaism or have I just been missing out?

I didn't make it up but it's not really an Alabama thing either. I think I first heard it in 1990's Asheville NC as I regularly mingled with both mountain folk and hippies. It may have been the hippies who used it for super-hippies, dunno.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is it?

Yes. It's fascinating how propaganda and certain "facts" burrow into the minds and consciousness and fabric of our country. I guess that's why it's called a mythology, because with time, oral and written history, stories and traditions are unreliably passed down and bleed into both apocrypha and hagiography.

Here is a link below, but seriously, anyone with 10 minutes and access to Google can debunk this myth if they are an honest person.

The "preponderance of evidence" standard of proof strongly indicates that Churchill fabricated events that never occurred—namely the U.S. Army's alleged distribution of smallpox infested blankets to the Mandan Indians in 1837. The analysis additionally reveals that Churchill falsified sources to support his fabricated version of events, and also concealed evidence in his cited sources that actually disconfirms, rather than substantiates, his allegations of genocide.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/p/plag/5240451.0001.009/--did-the-us-army-distribute-smallpox-blankets-to-indians?rgn=main;view=fulltext

• Fuck You 3

12 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yes. It's fascinating how propaganda and certain "facts" burrow into the minds and consciousness and fabric of our country. I guess that's why it's called a mythology, because with time, oral and written history, stories and traditions are unreliably passed down and bleed into both apocrypha and hagiography.

Here is a link below, but seriously, anyone with 10 minutes and access to Google can debunk this myth if they are an honest person.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/p/plag/5240451.0001.009/--did-the-us-army-distribute-smallpox-blankets-to-indians?rgn=main;view=fulltext

amazing how you had a cited defense of this, but had no idea who Emmitt Till was.

• Hook 'Em 4

Also amazing how he limited his comments to a specific rumor about the US Army from one source.

Hell, just one or two minutes with Google also makes it clear that there are other well reported instances of colonists giving smallpox blankets to Native Americans as a form of biological warfare.

Seems to me Donkey isn't an honest person. Quelle surprise.