CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

16 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Real strong pro-life position here, my good man.

I wasn't staking out any position here (or trying to "downplay his death" as Roma said). It was just a statement of fact - I remember reading that last year and thinking that, while their grief was understandable, the rage seemed somewhat misplaced. I don't know that his death was preventable in any event. That's not a defense of past government inaction, it's not intended to imply that his life was not valuable, or that his death was not unfortunate for his loved ones. Just an observation about his specific case as it related to the obituary.

In any case, I probably shouldn't have said anything at all, because it wasn't particularly helpful. 

• Like 1

He posted this on April 24. Everybody wearing a mask except him and his kid.  

I feel sorry for the baby.  Nobody should have to grow up without a dad.  

When he grows up and is able to understand what happened, I would imagine the kid is going to be shaking his head.

178375653_10158407009853089_2959265291015780162_n.jpg

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Like 1

Just now, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

He posted this on April 24.  I feel sorry for the baby.  Nobody should have to grow up without a dad.  

When he grows up and is able to understand what happened, I would imagine the kid is going to be shaking his head.

178375653_10158407009853089_2959265291015780162_n.jpg

Fat guy's shirt color checks out

Yeah, well what sucks most about that photo is that it shows a dad beaming over the birth of his kid.  Put me firmly in the camp of "it sucks when people die".  

Is it a fact of life?  Yeah.

Does it suck they could have protected themselves better, but didn't?  Yeah.

Does it suck that half of surly drinks too much and exercises too little?  Yeah, me included.

Everything adds up, one way or another.  Pretty much everybody makes stupid decisions on the regular.  What really grinds my gears is when politicians and media types go out of their way to spread lies that end up contributing to death.  I don't hear Trump or Tucker or whoever saying "don't listen to your doctor, that handle of vodka you pound every few days is good for you!"  For some reason, viruses and vaccines are extra special vectors of stupid.

• Drool 1

From the “there’s no bottom” file:

DeSantis refuses to declare state of emergency for COVID -- and it's leaving hospitals short of oxygen: report

Spoiler

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is determined to declare the novel coronavirus pandemic over, even as his state this week shattered its own records for COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations.

Bloomberg reports that DeSantis's refusal to re-declare a state of emergency over the pandemic is leaving Florida hospitals scrambling to secure enough oxygen to treat COVID patients who are struggling to breathe.

Essentially, unless DeSantis declares a state of emergency, then there are limits to how long medical support transport drivers can be on the road.

Because hospitals are now getting flooded with COVID-19 patients, this means that there simply are not enough drivers who have enough time to deliver the needed oxygen supplies.

Soumi Saha, vice president of advocacy for hospital supply purchasing group Premier Inc., said that waiving limits on transportation restrictions is the single best way to get oxygen supplies where they're needed.

"Hospitals are fighting with a hand tied behind their back and don't have the same chance that they did when states had the public health emergencies declared," she explained to Bloomberg.

DeSantis has been lashing out in recent days as criticism has mounted of his refusal to do more to fight the pandemic. On Tuesday he accused President Joe Biden of "singling out" his state for its surge in COVID infections, which he baselessly blamed on infected migrants entering the country.

https://www.rawstory.com/amp/florida-desantis-2654443996-2654443996?__twitter_impression=true

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, well what sucks most about that photo is that it shows a dad beaming over the birth of his kid.  Put me firmly in the camp of "it sucks when people die".  

Is it a fact of life?  Yeah.

Does it suck they could have protected themselves better, but didn't?  Yeah.

Does it suck that half of surly drinks too much and exercises too little?  Yeah, me included.

Everything adds up, one way or another.  Pretty much everybody makes stupid decisions on the regular.  What really grinds my gears is when politicians and media types go out of their way to spread lies that end up contributing to death.  I don't hear Trump or Tucker or whoever saying "don't listen to your doctor, that handle of vodka you pound every few days is good for you!"  For some reason, viruses and vaccines are extra special vectors of stupid.

eh, maybe don't use your platform to lie and maybe life will be a little kinder to you. I don't feel sorry for him in the least. And barely anything for his family. They could have convinced him to change his ways. But they didn't. Oh well, one less lying asshole out there bringing down the collective IQ

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

eh, maybe don't use your platform to lie and maybe life will be a little kinder to you. I don't feel sorry for him in the least. 

I get it.  I'm not far behind you, but that's because my anger is in a continuous pitched battle with my empathy.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

DeSantis refuses to declare state of emergency for COVID -- and it's leaving hospitals short of oxygen: report

Hide contents

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is determined to declare the novel coronavirus pandemic over, even as his state this week shattered its own records for COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations.

Bloomberg reports that DeSantis's refusal to re-declare a state of emergency over the pandemic is leaving Florida hospitals scrambling to secure enough oxygen to treat COVID patients who are struggling to breathe.

Essentially, unless DeSantis declares a state of emergency, then there are limits to how long medical support transport drivers can be on the road.

Because hospitals are now getting flooded with COVID-19 patients, this means that there simply are not enough drivers who have enough time to deliver the needed oxygen supplies.

Soumi Saha, vice president of advocacy for hospital supply purchasing group Premier Inc., said that waiving limits on transportation restrictions is the single best way to get oxygen supplies where they're needed.

"Hospitals are fighting with a hand tied behind their back and don't have the same chance that they did when states had the public health emergencies declared," she explained to Bloomberg.

DeSantis has been lashing out in recent days as criticism has mounted of his refusal to do more to fight the pandemic. On Tuesday he accused President Joe Biden of "singling out" his state for its surge in COVID infections, which he baselessly blamed on infected migrants entering the country.

https://www.rawstory.com/amp/florida-desantis-2654443996-2654443996?__twitter_impression=true

Man, what a selfish prick.  Fuck Desantis!

• Rage+1 2

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I get it.  I'm not far behind you, but that's because my anger is in a continuous pitched battle with my empathy.

I reserve my empathy for front line and essential workers. I give the breadth of my compassion to people who deserve it. He ignored pretty clear and compelling science in favor of political gain - at the expense of himself and his family. And who knows how many of his constituents he killed along the way. He gets none of my kind heart

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Reveal hidden contents

if you vote for Republicans people are gonna die.  Exhibit Florida Man.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Reveal hidden contents

If he is the Republican nominee and the Dem doesn’t call him out on this in public and on the debate stage…well it will be par for the course I guess. 

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

The Juco where I sometimes teach has a Fall mask mandate at the moment. I may just take them all outside because who knows what the hell some previous class has been spewing all about the room. If there are any troubled souls that seek out drama, I'll have withdrawal slips ready for them, no hard feelings. Or I might perform an Ignatius O'Reilly and just shit-can all the paperwork. I have very few fucks left.

If there is a god in heaven he will permit me to enroll in RD Canecutter's juco class. I can just imagine the lectures.  At least, I can imagine them after taking peyote.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I was just on H. Scott Apley's FB page.  It's what you would expect.  Apparently, his son Reid is very, very young, like a toddler.  It makes me sad to think that he's going to go through his life without knowing a dad. Also, H. Scott Apley was tweeting normally on July 30th, so this thing hit him hard and fast.  And, in a final ironic twist, it appears that H. Scott Apley is now represented by Democrats:

H. Scott Apley.jpg

Welp, he can keep his hand raised.  Republicans sure took away his right to vote.

• Like 1

And just yesterday when a reporter asked, based on the rising rates including children, whether children should be masked at school: 

[paraphrasing] DeSantis: "That is absolutely deplorable to be blaming these kids in the hospital because they didn't wear a mask! That's victim-blaming!" 

And yep, he actually used the word deplorable. Just a total obtuse cunt troll like all the R's learn they can be, because no consequences.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/08/whitmire-how-one-alabama-college-outsmarted-the-states-vaccine-passport-ban.html

Alabama banned colleges from requiring vaccinations. One college is now requiring weekly covid testing for all students and there is a $500 testing fee. However if you get vaccinated, the fee is returned and you do not have to get tested. The Alabama politician behind the vaccination requirement is upset that a college outsmarted him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

https://www.al.com/news/2021/08/whitmire-how-one-alabama-college-outsmarted-the-states-vaccine-passport-ban.html

Alabama banned colleges from requiring vaccinations. One college is now requiring weekly covid testing for all students and there is a $500 testing fee. However if you get vaccinated, the fee is returned and you do not have to get tested. The Alabama politician behind the vaccination requirement is upset that a college outsmarted him.

Birmingham Southern is about as non-MAGA as it gets in Alabama, except maybe for Montevallo. Ironically this politician went to Wake-Forest so it's not like he's Skeeter from the hog farm either. His U of Alabama Law degree should have sharpened his reptilian intelligence more, if nothing else. It's an entire ethos of sliming around the letter of the law.

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

We've just started masking up again at the store.  I think if someone says something to me, they're going to get a "mind your own fucking business" out of me.  They are the fucking reason we're back in this mess.

Yep. Me, too. I asked the beloved is she wanted go to Alamo Drafthouse for a movie Saturday. She raised the safety issue. I'll check their seating chart Friday. If it's spread out, maybe we'll go. Maybe wear a mask, too.

Fucking idiots fucking everything up.

• Like 1

This isn't good.

On Tuesday, Arkansas Secretary of Health Jose Romero shared some data to back up those claims.

Romero told reporters at a press conference held Tuesday that nearly 19% of active cases of the virus in the state are currently among children under 18.

“Between April and July of this year, there has been a 517% increase in the number of cases under 18 years of age,” he said.

Half of those children come from the under 12 group that is not yet eligible for a vaccine.

“There’s nearly a 690% increase in cases in children 12 and under,” he said.

Romero said that hospitalizations among children 18 and under are up 270% in recent weeks, with ICU admissions among children also up 275%. 20% of those individuals are under 12, he said.

“I think these numbers exemplify and bring out a very sobering aspect of the pandemic in our state,” he said. “We have a group of individuals that are extremely susceptible to infection because they do not have eligibility for a vaccine.

Romero said only 32.2% of children between 12 and 18 currently eligible to receive a vaccine have had at least one dose, and only 18.4% are considered fully vaccinated.

https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2021/08/03/secretary-of-health-nearly-19-percent-of-active-covid-19-cases-in-arkansas-are-in-children/

• Rage+1 1

This poor fucking kid.  Nothing to say, other than I wish he had parents that were up to the responsibility of having a child.

"I am very saddened to report that H Scott Apley passed away last night at about 3 am. He leaves behind his wife, Melissa, who is COVID positive, as well as their infant son Reid. Your donations are greatly appreciated and will help the family as they get through this difficult period."

893228835_ScreenShot2021-08-04at6_23_07PM.thumb.png.991f2d82c2c02d5141a95e91f8d05d0b.png

This isn't good.

On Tuesday, Arkansas Secretary of Health Jose Romero shared some data to back up those claims.
Romero told reporters at a press conference held Tuesday that nearly 19% of active cases of the virus in the state are currently among children under 18.
“Between April and July of this year, there has been a 517% increase in the number of cases under 18 years of age,” he said.
Half of those children come from the under 12 group that is not yet eligible for a vaccine.
“There’s nearly a 690% increase in cases in children 12 and under,” he said.
Romero said that hospitalizations among children 18 and under are up 270% in recent weeks, with ICU admissions among children also up 275%. 20% of those individuals are under 12, he said.
“I think these numbers exemplify and bring out a very sobering aspect of the pandemic in our state,” he said. “We have a group of individuals that are extremely susceptible to infection because they do not have eligibility for a vaccine.
Romero said only 32.2% of children between 12 and 18 currently eligible to receive a vaccine have had at least one dose, and only 18.4% are considered fully vaccinated.

https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2021/08/03/secretary-of-health-nearly-19-percent-of-active-covid-19-cases-in-arkansas-are-in-children/

That’s what’s scary. It will adapt to kids. We are morons. Sofa kings

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

If he is the Republican nominee and the Dem doesn’t call him out on this in public and on the debate stage…well it will be par for the course I guess. 

they will, and he will wear it, and morons will cheer.

the. cruelty. is. the. point.

15 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Percentages don’t tell much without the numbers on which they’re based. Anyone have those?

From the link:

There are currently 19,499 cases of COVID-19 considered active in the state, which includes those that have tested positive by both PCR and antigen testing methods.”

“Romero told reporters at a press conference held Tuesday that nearly 19% of active cases of the virus in the state are currently among children under 18. 

Half of those children come from the under 12 group that is not yet eligible for a vaccine.”

So...3705 under 18 and half that under twelve.  

• Rage+1 1