CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

6 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Mr. Nagy was also 80 years old and obese and died well before there were any vaccines. 

I didn't know it was a year old. It could have easily been last week in Longview. 

Still seems to apply though. Has an evergreen quality about it. A grieving and angry family lashes out at the selfish behavior that killed someone. Those things you mentioned, 80 and fat, possibly other unseen medical issues, are why I wear a mask now. 

I don't know if he's sick and asymptomatic and he doesn't know about me. I don't know if they are immuno compromised or sick as a dog spewing pathogens like a sewer hole. It's common courtesy to cover your mouth when you cough. The mask and the health recs...

Why the hell am I going over all this?

It's been over a year and the echoes of a harsh and bitter obituary found its way to my timeline.

And yet we're in the midst of another goddamn outbreak. We're even more polarized. 

600ksomething dead. And right up there the death a man from a year ago.

Don't regret pointing it out that it was a year ago and he was fat and 80. Because today a fat and 45 yr old died of stubborn pride. 

Maybe some of them will listen. I doubt it, but I'll try anyhow.

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Pods said:

This is why I keep encouraging people to wear a valved N95 with paper right now until we get this data. My read on it is that Pfizer wears off slightly sooner than Moderna. This is likely due to a combo of two things:

1) Moderna's second dose is 3X larger than Pfizer's and produced more side effects, so possibly more immune response. 

2) Moderna's second dose is delivered a week later than Pfizer. There is evidence this induces a stronger immune response. A couple of papers on this recently came out. 

It will be a temporary boost and it may not even be a real signal. Pfizer was used earlier and in other countries that have been have been looking for breakthrough infections, while we really haven't been collecting the data until very recently. I strongly doubt it's much more than an extra month. 

Both of them would be fine against Alpha, or Beta at the 6 month mark. It's Delta and some of the other variants packing nasty combinations of mutations that are the problem. 

We are gonna have to keep cranking out new ones. 

Gimme the whole range of whatever you find. Fluvid cocktail. Don't give a shit. Fire it up.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

This poor fucking kid.  Nothing to say, other than I wish he had parents that were up to the responsibility of having a child.

"I am very saddened to report that H Scott Apley passed away last night at about 3 am. He leaves behind his wife, Melissa, who is COVID positive, as well as their infant son Reid. Your donations are greatly appreciated and will help the family as they get through this difficult period."

893228835_ScreenShot2021-08-04at6_23_07PM.thumb.png.991f2d82c2c02d5141a95e91f8d05d0b.png

People like this shouldn't be able to procreate.  Seriously.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

eh, maybe don't use your platform to lie and maybe life will be a little kinder to you. I don't feel sorry for him in the least. And barely anything for his family. They could have convinced him to change his ways. But they didn't. Oh well, one less lying asshole out there bringing down the collective IQ

That's where I'm at. Unless a doctor advises that you should not take the vaccine for legitimate health reasons, I simply cant find it in me to give one solitary fuck about any unvaccinated person who dies from the  Rona. You had an option, and you were too fucking stupid to take advantage of it. Its free and readily available. I have a great deal of sympathy for people in other countries who don't have access to the vaccine, but here....good riddance. Too many stupid people fucking this country up as it is. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Pods said:

They aren't going to do shit, no matter what. This is going to be an uncontrolled burn while the GQP bitches that someone should have raked the forests. 

If you are under the delusion that Covid doesn't infect kids, dissuade yourselves of it now. It's never been true, but it's absurd to take that position with Delta. It's going to do really bad things in places that have banned mask mandates and require in-person schooling. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-03/idaho-sees-surge-in-covid-19-infections-in-babies-and-toddlers

https://www.fox8live.com/2021/08/02/children-make-up-more-than-2000-new-covid-19-cases-reported-louisiana/

There's tons of others, but the GQP is once again proving they only care about kids until they are out of the womb. 

Does the data show that children are experiencing significantly higher rates of severe disease? 

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, well what sucks most about that photo is that it shows a dad beaming over the birth of his kid.  Put me firmly in the camp of "it sucks when people die".  

Is it a fact of life?  Yeah.

Does it suck they could have protected themselves better, but didn't?  Yeah.

Does it suck that half of surly drinks too much and exercises too little?  Yeah, me included.

Everything adds up, one way or another.  Pretty much everybody makes stupid decisions on the regular.  What really grinds my gears is when politicians and media types go out of their way to spread lies that end up contributing to death.  I don't hear Trump or Tucker or whoever saying "don't listen to your doctor, that handle of vodka you pound every few days is good for you!"  For some reason, viruses and vaccines are extra special vectors of stupid.

That's why I have zero apathy for him - he could have influenced people to wear a fucking mask or get vaccinated.  And getting vaccinated would have meant his kid would have a dad growing up.

When I became a parent, I had a rough go with pneumonia that came on after some other things, even though I'm still in my 40s and fairly healthy.  I was truly bed-ridden for a week, and the thought of not being able to see my son grow up scared the absolute living shit out of me.

My nightmare is not getting to see my kids grow up.  That is my horror movie.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

heh

I guess he led by example.

I have told some of these people "God didn't give us doctors, nurses, hospitals, and vaccines on a whim.  He did it for a reason.  Everything is His plan, and he put all of those people and those hospitals into place and he guided those researchers into making vaccines to save His people."

Pisses them off, because they don't want to argue against it.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That's why I have zero apathy for him - he could have influenced people to wear a fucking mask or get vaccinated.  And getting vaccinated would have meant his kid would have a dad growing up.

When I became a parent, I had a rough go with pneumonia that came on after some other things, even though I'm still in my 40s and fairly healthy.  I was truly bed-ridden for a week, and the thought of not being able to see my son grow up scared the absolute living shit out of me.

My nightmare is not getting to see my kids grow up.  That is my horror movie.

Your #1 job as a parent is to protect your family, which includes yourself.  He didn't do that.  He played politics and orphaned his kid and widowed his wife.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

You have really weird takes on women, and on who the Karens are.

You don't know any Karens with kids. They don't like having to have their kids home for a week or two because of exposure/quarantine, and they damn sure don't want the school shut down because of an outbreak.  

Holy fuck they were a beating when we were virtual, especially the ones with kids my daughter's age.  They could drag Zoom sessions out like nobody's business with dumbass questions, or they could drive the teachers nuts by not being around and the teacher having to ask the kid to get their mommy, or they could forget to mute and say the most dumbass shit.

And I'm not kidding when I say that if they come across something that happened somewhere else on FB, they are going to make damn sure everybody knows it could affect them, and that includes the teacher/principal/PTA.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So I just tested positive. For those not keeping score at home, I got J&J in March and a supplemental Pfizer last Monday. Started feeling off on Friday (after extremely mild post-vaccine reaction) and realized I couldn’t smell or taste anything. 

Two vaccines and delta (I’m assuming) don’t give a fuck. Probably still to early for Pfizer to have any effect, but still. 

Have felt achy and sinus pressure for a few days, but nothing too bad. Add me to the case pile. Hopefully not the hospital or body pile. 

Oh shit, man.  Keep us posted.

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So I just tested positive. For those not keeping score at home, I got J&J in March and a supplemental Pfizer last Monday. Started feeling off on Friday (after extremely mild post-vaccine reaction) and realized I couldn’t smell or taste anything. 

Two vaccines and delta (I’m assuming) don’t give a fuck. Probably still to early for Pfizer to have any effect, but still. 

Have felt achy and sinus pressure for a few days, but nothing too bad. Add me to the case pile. Hopefully not the hospital or body pile. 

That sucks.  Hopefully that PFE kicker gives you a leg up in ramping up the ABs to fight that shit off. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I hope you feel better soon.  

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

This poor fucking kid.  Nothing to say, other than I wish he had parents that were up to the responsibility of having a child.

"I am very saddened to report that H Scott Apley passed away last night at about 3 am. He leaves behind his wife, Melissa, who is COVID positive, as well as their infant son Reid. Your donations are greatly appreciated and will help the family as they get through this difficult period."

893228835_ScreenShot2021-08-04at6_23_07PM.thumb.png.991f2d82c2c02d5141a95e91f8d05d0b.png

That's a lot of ugly. I think the kid is praying for Covid to kill these fat fucks smothering him.

Gimme a chance! Please God! Gimme a chance!

Fuck these malign idiots. I don't revel in their sickness or death, but I have next to no sympathy. They're the real enemies of the state; I have no care for our enemies. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I hate to hear this.  Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh man am I sorry to read this.  I hope you get better really soon.  We obviously share a lot of commonalities even for a board like this (Mariners, metal, movies, e.t.c).  Hoping it gets better for you and fast.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My friend, continue taking the best care of yourself. I wish you only the best.

• Hook 'Em 1

So sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself and keep us posted.

Do you have a pulse oximeter? If not, order one from Amazon or have someone pick one up for you from a pharmacy. Check it a couple of times a day. Your O2 sats can get too low without you feeling it and it can get dangerous quick.

Keep us posted.
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That's a lot of ugly. I think the kid is praying for Covid to kill these fat fucks smothering him.

Gimme a chance! Please God! Gimme a chance!

Fuck these malign idiots. I don't revel in their sickness or death, but I have next to no sympathy. They're the real enemies of the state; I have no care for our enemies. 

jesus christ dude

• Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Dr. Mark Southern at UT taught us that "fuck" is one of the oldest words in the English language. Actually, it predates the existence of English as a separate language-- the F-K sounds shifted in Germanic from an original Indo-European P-G that meant to hit something, like maybe hit it and quit it. So it's cognate with things like "pugnacious" and Latin "pugnare" to fight.

Who knows? Fuck it, I'll buy it.

I think the earliest use I’ve seen was in The Canterbury Tales from the 14th Century. But I also remember a photocopy (or mimeograph) that got passed around in high school listing all the various uses of the word. That was hilarious.

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Get well dude!

Is there any talk of postponing school starts or temporarily going with remote learning? This seems like the absolute worse time to start school in the next couple of weeks as a wave is starting to hit. Feels like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.
This will jam up ERs because when junior gets sick, parents will rush him to the ER.
I don't know how many dead bodies there will have to be before they even consider this, but we will be bringing them into the streets Holy Grail style before they alter schools again. Lack of beds isn't going to push that needle.
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

You echo the second or third post downplaying the death because the man had lived a long life. You add that he's obese.

My dad was 83 and doing pretty good enjoying life. He took a fall in a physical therapy location that led to a quad tendon repair that he never bounced back from. He died less than two years later having never walked or driven a car again.

My point is that if you're walking the Earth and breathing the air and getting some pleasure out of life, an unnecessary and torturous death gasping for breath isn't mitigated by the age of the sufferer.  We will feel pain and desperation in our older age just as we did in our younger days.

Covid did not have to be the disaster it became. He and his family should be angry at willfully unconcerned government and citizens not taking easy precautions. 

I'm angry.

Yeah, the death and pain aren't mitigated by his age. I don't think that was the point. 

But when you're obese and a dumb-fuck my sympathy level is pretty close to zero. More so because of the dumb-fuckery than the fatness. 

It seems like nature/grim reaper is finally winning a bit over science, and it's mostly because dumb fucks aren't listening and acting on the science. So again, no fucks given for this dumb ass. 

9 hours ago, lmao said:

jesus christ dude

For homework, compare and contrast Jesus H. Christ with H. Scott Apely. Then H. Scott with the sentiments in my post.

Jesus can love everybody, I can't. I can make my way through life trying to be tolerant and to do no harm to others, Apely couldn't.

I'm comfortable with my scorn.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

FDA full approval is a necessary step but I don't believe that step will change many individual minds. The one main benefit that I see is that the full approval can bolster an employer's position to require vaccinations from employees. I know they don't need the full FDA approval to require vaccinations but it helps to shut up complaining employees.

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

FDA full approval is a necessary step but I don't believe that step will change many individual minds. The one main benefit that I see is that the full approval can bolster an employer's position to require vaccinations from employees. I know they don't need the full FDA approval to require vaccinations but it helps to shut up complaining employees.

Theoretically, full approval would allow for off label prescribing as well. Hello third shot boosters while the CDC sits on their hands. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

Right now, one of the red herrings I keep seeing is that neither of the mRNA vaccines have full FDA approval. Knowing what I know about those who are using that excuse, they will find another excuse not to once full FDA approval comes out.

Those people are not actually waiting for the gubbamint to tell them something is OK to put into their bodies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Accurate.

E799hqQWYAYuFG3.jpeg

So I posted this on my facebook wall because it is fucking funny.  And accurate.  

A now former friend and colleage, and a Texas Ex who lives in Cypress (no idea if he posts here but if he does, only in Daily Texan I would guess) made a comment about both sides, as in both sides are being idiots.  I responded, but thought better of it, deleted his comment and unfriended.  People with stupid opinions will no longer be polluting my social media.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Not just American.

Cambridge-educated anti-vaxx solicitor, 58, recorded video saying Covid 'is nothing to be afraid of' and explaining why he is still against the vaccine - nine days before dying from the disease

A Cambridge University graduate recorded himself downplaying his Covid symptoms and telling viewers the disease was not to be feared days before the virus claimed his life.

Solicitor Leslie Lawrenson, 58, died at his home in Bournemouth, Dorset, just nine days after releasing footage to Facebook explaining why Covid-19 was 'nothing to be afraid of'.

Leslie had no underlying health conditions and had previously refused his vaccine because he believed he 'did not need it' and instead placed his faith in his immune system. 

Wanting to record 'the realities' of having the virus for '99,9% of us', anti-vaxxer Leslie took to social media to share two vlog posts earlier this summer.

At one point he said "'I hope I've got it. I hope it is Covid. I'd rather the antibodies than the jabs.' "  Umm, sir....

The rest of the story on the daily mail site.  I know, the daily mail.  Nonetheless....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Not just American.

At one point he said "'I hope I've got it. I hope it is Covid. I'd rather the antibodies than the jabs.' "  Umm, sir....

The rest of the story on the daily mail site.  I know, the daily mail.  Nonetheless....

If anyone can out-stupid Americans, it is the British.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2