CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

@PenelopeWitherspoon Go get yaself tested

Meh.  I will if I have a slight fever or chills.  None of that has happened at all.  I am monitoring.  

To be fair, I am so used to having to live with Allergy or Sinus issues, that I do not feel sick.  This was almost my normal state the entire time I lived in Texas.  I think the only reason I am noticing it now is becuase last year, 2020, I had NOTHING.  For the first time in my adult life.  

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

I feel like you need more than 6 people to call yourself a caucus

It’s not a coincidence that the three fattest unvaccinated dudes died of Covid. 

if you’re a fat dude and you dont get the vaccine you are pointing a gun at your head and playing Russian roulette.  Hard to have any sympathy for those dumbasses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Have you actually been to a third world country?  Which one?

Weird flex for you to single out a portion of my post specifically citing tangible metrics and then counter with this. To answer your question, I’ve seen rural Mexico. It isn’t that far off from reservations or the rural south. Which fits, because MS or AL would be in the bottom half of Mexican states for life expectancy, for example.

Now, there’s a reason I said third world adjacent might be a better way to describe it, because you can live a perfectly cushy life as an upper income earner (just as you can in a third world nation, by the way) and they still benefit from federal spending.

I don’t want to threadjack any further, suffice it to say your comment irked me given my life experience and did not give me the impression you appreciate the depths of poverty in this country. I’d prefer to give the benefit of the doubt, chalk it up to hitting a specific nerve, and not threadjack so I’m going to do that.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

It’s not a coincidence that the three fattest unvaccinated dudes died of Covid. 

if you’re a fat dude and you dont get the vaccine you are pointing a gun at your head and playing Russian roulette.  Hard to have any sympathy for those dumbasses. 

If these people only got themselves killed we would be celebrating their stupidity.  Fat fucks eat up way too many resources (and food)...

22 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

All this is going to do is turn Texas blue faster. I’m all for it. If people are too stupid to look out for the common good then they can EABOD. 
assholes. 

Speaking of which, DeSantis doesn't seem to realize that COVID is killing off his voter base. Recall that he won in 2018 by about 33K votes, and there have been 40K deaths and counting from COVID in Florida. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

According to who? Have not found anything that said he was vaccinated which you’d think would have been mentioned. If you got a link let’s see it.  

This is a great microcosm of how twisted our politics is. 1) Most deaths aren’t exactly newsworthy outside of a brief local obituary. The expectation that there should be some sort of link to prove his vaccination status is bizarre. 2) The alternative hypothesis is I randomly singled out one name and made that story up, I guess, which is even more bizarre.

I never met him, but we have mutual friends. I live in the same county. It’s common knowledge. Beyond that, his Facebook page is public. You can see where he was in the hospital and posting about it a couple of months ago, and, in answer to a question, says he had the J&J vaccine. Now sure, he could be lying-except if you search back to early March, you’ll see him talking more than once about looking for a place that gave J&J in particular because he only wanted one dose. That would be a long and extremely committed con to go ahead and get COVID and die.

And it’s “whom.”

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Weird flex...

I don’t want to threadjack any further, suffice it to say your comment irked me given my life experience

Which one?  The one where I pushed back on the assertion that the south, to include Texas of course, is a third world shithole. 

Y'all let posters here spew stupid shit with no checks at all.  In fact lots of back slapping good timing of it. But if I point out the nonsense it is an irking flex move.  That's weird my friend. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Gotcha.  Thanks.  I have had a level of post nasal drip for the last 3-4 months.  Admittedly, no real fatigue.  The headache is the most worrisome to me as that seems to be something everyone I know who has COVID has.  Then again, when I have allergies, I get those headaches until the pressure eases.  

When you had the congestion, was it both sides, or was one side worse than the other?

It varied by the hour.

Until my smell went away, it was not much different than my regularly scheduled late summer sinus infection.

I forgot to add that while I really never had much of a fever, I had a few nights of weird chills as it progressed.

4 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

This is a great microcosm of how twisted our politics is. 1) Most deaths aren’t exactly newsworthy outside of a brief local obituary. The expectation that there should be some sort of link to prove his vaccination status is bizarre. 2) The alternative hypothesis is I randomly singled out one name and made that story up, I guess, which is even more bizarre.

I never met him, but we have mutual friends. I live in the same county. It’s common knowledge. Beyond that, his Facebook page is public. You can see where he was in the hospital and posting about it a couple of months ago, and, in answer to a question, says he had the J&J vaccine. Now sure, he could be lying-except if you search back to early March, you’ll see him talking more than once about looking for a place that gave J&J in particular because he only wanted one dose. That would be a long and extremely committed con to go ahead and get COVID and die.

And it’s “whom.”

One of the comments in the twitter feed I was looking at was some lady who was saying one of them (didn't say which) was vaccinated and had been very careful about exposure.  Also said the pic as pre Covid in 2018.  Said this guy detested Trump, but apparently had no issue continuing to be tight with Trumpistas. 

5 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

And it’s “whom.”

If he had the J&J vaccine and died anyway that’s newsworthy because it indicates possibly a potential problem.

He’s not the president or a movie star but he’s also not some unknown bum on the street either. His death did make the news. If he died of Covid after getting the J&J vaccine that should be mentioned and it has absolutely nothing to do with politics. If he did have the vaccine I question why that’s not being mentioned. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

If he had the J&J vaccine and died anyway that’s newsworthy because it indicates possibly a potential problem.

He’s not the president or a movie star but he’s also not some unknown bum on the street either. His death did make the news. If he died of Covid after getting the J&J vaccine that should be mentioned and it has absolutely nothing to do with politics. If he did have the vaccine I question why that’s not being mentioned. 

Well it was mentioned. By him. I’m not sure what more you want or why that is insufficient.

The only “news” I can find is Bluebonnet, which is the online equivalent of a local paper. They print everybody’s obituary.

• Hook 'Em 1

So it appears that the EU may ban U.S. tourists again. Meanwhile the U.S. has a current ban on tourists from the EU and other countries.

Penelope: stupid Americans are going to ruin my vacation.

Also Penelope: so I’m having some Covid symptoms that I haven’t had in over a year. Go get tested? Meh.

It’s almost like we are still in the middle of a global pandemic or something.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 8/7/2021 at 7:01 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

And they’re going to take it back to their home towns and spread it there.

I saw a piece on CBS News this morning where they were in Sturgis and the reporter was interviewing this fat old biker skank and asking her if she was concerned about Covid. She said, “Nope, not since day 1,” and she also said she wouldn’t get vaccinated, all while sporting a shit-eating grin and cackling like the moron that she is. Dirt fucking stupid, a threat to public health, and proud of it.

If she doesn’t catch Covid and die from that, maybe she’ll wreck her bike and not get a hospital bed because they’re all full of Covid patients. 

The thing that pisses me off is that the rest of us are going to pick up the tab for the medical expenses of these people.  Socialized medicine for all or something.

20 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

The ones I have engaged with this come back with science is the work of the devil.   

Tell them they should give up their cell phones, Facebook, things like electricity and running water, and move out to the country because all of that is derived from the devil's science.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The world will remain fucked until misinformation is restricted on social media and news stations. 

Hear me out:  How about this, it's kind of a reverse idiocracy if you will.

Maybe we should let these idiots keep up with their misinformation and keep passing it around to each other.  There's a good chance they'll eventually help kill each other off.  Yes, the rest of us will have to cough up for the hospital bills and funeral expenses, and it's going to suck that many of us will lose aunts and uncles and cousins and parents, but maybe we just need a good old fashioned enema for Homo sapiens, and social media is the perfect vessel - it'll slide right in with very little discomfort.

Hopefully Republicans don't realize until it's too late that too many of their followers are skipping the vaccines and dying or getting fucked up and converting to Vaccine Jesus.

The only downside is Republican politicians who are fucking with our health.

51 minutes ago, justhookit said:

So it appears that the EU may ban U.S. tourists again. Meanwhile the U.S. has a current ban on tourists from the EU and other countries.

Penelope: stupid Americans are going to ruin my vacation.

Also Penelope: so I’m having some Covid symptoms that I haven’t had in over a year. Go get tested? Meh.

It’s almost like we are still in the middle of a global pandemic or something.

Get fucked, asshole.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hear me out:  How about this, it's kind of a reverse idiocracy if you will.

Maybe we should let these idiots keep up with their misinformation and keep passing it around to each other.  There's a good chance they'll eventually help kill each other off.  Yes, the rest of us will have to cough up for the hospital bills and funeral expenses, and it's going to suck that many of us will lose aunts and uncles and cousins and parents, but maybe we just need a good old fashioned enema for Homo sapiens, and social media is the perfect vessel - it'll slide right in with very little discomfort.

Hopefully Republicans don't realize until it's too late that too many of their followers are skipping the vaccines and dying or getting fucked up and converting to Vaccine Jesus.

The only downside is Republican politicians who are fucking with our health.

Covid isn’t lethal enough to kill off enough Republicans to make a difference 

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Which one?  The one where I pushed back on the assertion that the south, to include Texas of course, is a third world shithole. 

We may not be a third-world shithole, but we elect third-world shithole politicians whose only concern is not the wellbeing of their citizens, but staying in power.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

People in their prime, teenagers, children, and babies are catching the variant. The Death Cult is replaying their response to the initial outbreak. It's Trumpian mass murder yet, oddly, it's not a crime.

Maybe we should develop a nerve gas that is effective only on the unvaccinated to protect the country. I'm kidding, I guess.

Trumpers spent a helluva lot of time telling us it was a bio-weapon, that it was engineered by the Chinese, that it was a deliberate attack/attempt to tank our economy/lose the election for Trump.

And when presented with a solution to avoid that "Chinese bio-weapon", they turn their backs on it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, that’s so disheartening. Was going stay for both weekends. New Orleans has had an awful past eighteen months. Head over to Tigerdroppings if you want to be get really angry. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

MotherFUCK. I was planning on going the second weekend. I've got tickets to a bunch of shows this fall/winter too, including a few from last year that were postponed from last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Yeah, that’s so disheartening. Was going stay for both weekends. New Orleans has had an awful past eighteen months. Head over to Tigerdroppings if you want to be get really angry. 

Those idiots on Tigerdroppings are fucking causing this.  Seriously.  

I think every employer in the US should have a vaccine mandate.  You want to keep your job, you get vaccinated unless you medically cannot.  

I think every major city should make a vaccine required to do ANY activity.  

Fuck the unvaccinated that choose to be so.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 8

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Those idiots on Tigerdroppings are fucking causing this.  Seriously.  

Unfortunately we are joining a conference full of these fucking idiots.  Not that the Big 12 was that much better, but for fuck's sake, we used to be able to make fun of Louisiana and Mississippi and Florida.

• Hook 'Em 1

So… I have not been keeping up with COVID since we got vaccinated in April. I just heard today that Houston is shutting down elective surgeries to make additional hospital capacity.

How does one get caught up with what’s going on in detail over the last several months? Any reliable news sources worth reading? Seems like a lot of conflicting information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Esque said:

So… I have not been keeping up with COVID since we got vaccinated in April. I just heard today that Houston is shutting down elective surgeries to make additional hospital capacity.

How does one get caught up with what’s going on in detail over the last several months? Any reliable news sources worth reading? Seems like a lot of conflicting information.

Delta is fucking shit up.  Less than 50% of the USA is fully vaxxed because of stupidity.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

17 minutes ago, Esque said:

Trauma Babe is a frontline nurse, she posts pretty often on how fucked shit is. The short version is, things weren't all that bad a month ago and now you can't count on a hospital bed being open for you. Relevant quote of her below:

16 hours ago, trauma babe said:

I don't work at Dell Children's so I can't say anything about how many kids they have admitted with COVID, but four is more than earlier in the pandemic.

We went from zero ICU COVID patients to 66% full of COVID pts in our medical ICU in about two weeks. Three or four were admitted just last night. No telling what it is tonight, but I promise it's more than the twenty that were there when I left on Saturday morning. Many of them under 40. Some in their 30s. A few in their 20s. There are fewer nurses right now in Austin than there were previously in the pandemic, and we seem to lose more every week. We can't hire new nurses and train them fast enough. There's a rumor going around that our "cost of living raise" that has long been promised is going to be about +$0.02/hr to our current hourly rates, which are already the worst in Texas when adjusted for CoL. I don't know if the hospital systems have the money to pay for the huge travel contracts ($100+/hr) that got us a lot of extra sub-par nurses to help out last summer.

We didn't have the vaccine last summer. We didn't have a safe, reliable, and effective tool to dramatically weaken the spread of the virus. But now we do. We have a way out. And so many of our fellow citizens spit in our faces with their attitudes towards public health and the collective good, all because their second cousin on Facebook heard from their co-worker's best friend that the vaccine caused someone to have a stroke. Meanwhile, we are treating patients for strokes that were caused by COVID. 

I try my very best to put myself in my patients' shoes when I'm caring for them, because that's the only way I know how to be a good nurse. But over the last three nights, I frittered away our available ICU beds for scooter accidents (corporate CEO in town for a conference), alcoholics who can't decide if they want to stay in rehab or check into a motel and drink 2L of vodka in six hours, psychotic-with-grief families who are torturing their loved ones against their loved one's legal wishes, or a middle-aged man who snorted a ton of meth six months after a CABG and ignored the increasingly painful symptoms of mesenteric ischemia for three days before coming into the hospital, et al. So many people think that there will always be a hospital bed available for them. They think this mostly because before COVID there always has been.

You can't count on that anymore. You can't count on there being nurses to care for you or your loved ones. Nurses now aren't just leaving to go somewhere else. They are leaving the profession altogether, because you can't escape COVID because at least a third of America believes we are trying to enslave and/or kill them. 

I'm really struggling to maintain my desire to serve. My heart is hardening. I can't wait until I start crying before my shifts again. I did not sign up for this when I became a nurse. None of us did. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
On 8/6/2021 at 9:20 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:
Cops are selfish cunts who are a danger to ordinary citizens...film at 11. 

And often dumb.

If they score too high on the IQ test, they’re disqualified because that means they’re at risk of leaving for a better job.

• Like 1