CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

14 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

So, person who posted a link to an article along with a quote from said article: are you going to return and contribute your thoughts, questions, suggestions, and concerns to the discussion?

I think the mistrust with regards to government policies towards medical policies is far deeper in the black community than many realize. It is somewhat insulting to be told to dismiss an entire culture of hesitancy based on established historical events with remarks such as "It's free, easy, science,... just do it.". And I believe it is the height of naivety to think that it is that simple to surmount this hesitancy as well. The only way to overcome that hesitancy in the black community is time, not mandates. Until that is understood, I believe more such clashes, along with the deep misunderstandings such as those expressed in this thread, are only going to continue. And, perhaps ironically, it's the black community that is going to suffer most because of these misunderstandings.

Edited by ouflak
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Michele Obama said that maybe kids shouldn’t eat deep fried chocolate for lunch, and conservatives lost their fucking minds.

Meanwhile, Melania Trump ate hot, drizzled Balkan cum for money right before she became first lady and apparently that made her practically royalty in their eyes.

28 minutes ago, ouflak said:

I think the mistrust with regards to government policies towards medical policies is far deeper in the black community than many realize. It is somewhat insulting to be told to dismiss an entire culture of hesitancy based on established historical events with remarks such as "It's free, easy, science,... just do it.". And I believe it is the height of naivety to think that it is that simple to surmount this hesitancy as well. The only way to overcome that hesitancy in the black community is time, not mandates. Until that is understood, I believe more such clashes, along with the deep misunderstandings such as those expressed in this thread, are only going to continue. And, perhaps ironically, it's the black community that is going to suffer most because of these misunderstandings.

Thank you for responding.

Spitballing here, but let's set aside deBlasio and the mandate for a minute and 'circle back' to him. I agree that one cannot lump everyone into one category of unvaccinated and label them as ideologically anti-vax. Too simple, too binary. A lot of crossover. So it takes a multi-pronged effort from various agencies within and without communities and cultural groups to reach people. While you advocate for time and I think that is probably to some extent true that it would help, I'm not sure the black community has that time available to them as much as I'd like to see it. NYC is heading into fall, like today. The days are shorter and getting cooler and viruses are not sentient beings that will give humans the time. So, yes, sadly I think the black community is going to suffer disproportionately, at least in NYC if they cannot coalesce around vaccination. BLM could perhaps help with that and maybe they are. The entire city could help with it, but it's a long slog and I expect time and patience is running out.

Back to deBlasio. Not super familiar, but he's playing a numbers game not a people game. That's what politicians like him do. His approval ratings are like the stock market both before and during the pandemic--a real roller coaster. He's trying to get things rolling because another fall/winter season of craptastic illness, businesses and entertainment shuttered, and all that entails and people will simply cross one of the most vibrant and exciting cities off their dance card. Does he care about the low percentages of vaccination in certain demographic groups? Deep down in his heart--maaaaybe, I mean they are locals after all. But mostly he's thinking of the 60 million tourists who visit NYC every year and all the diseases they may bring along with their $$. That's bad for business. That's a numbers game right there.

Edit to add in this: I'm sure that what I do not know about the lives of black NYC residences is vast and certainly I haven't lived the experience. Perhaps the question can be asked: who are the mandates designed to help or harm and what are the longer term consequences of either of those?

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, YChang said:

Wouldn’t ketchup or mayonnaise  be a better delivery vehicle than salad dressing?

I'm thinking sauces from Chick-Fil-A; The regular, the BBW and Polynesian.   They'd probably get the vaccine into 50% of MAGA by the end of the month. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So, this is an interesting anecdotal fact:

A fried of mine has a son in (small, rural, conservative area) high school, who is taking an AP calculus class. I was tutoring him yesterday evening, and we got to talking about students wearing masks in school. According to the son, 6 out 7 students in the AP class wear masks, including him. But in his "normal" level classes, its only 2 or 3 out of 20 or so wearing masks.

I would love to see more statistics on this type of thing from a large number of schools.

edit: Son also said most teachers are not wearing masks, but his calculus teacher (old guy who retired and was rehired to teach just a couple of sections) does. Apparently the only teachers wearing masks are the olds.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/health/global-covid-vaccinations/

At some level is the political side of this much ado about nothing? Seems all developed nations are about the same in vaccine rates.  We are laggards, but not freakishly. I've highlighted some of our notables in our peer group below. 
I feel like it is similar to people's professed beliefs being different from their actual behavior that we talk about all the time in politics. Ask them who is going to refuse to get a vaccine, you'll get a lot of 'hell yeah. freedom!' but when the time comes, the same number do it here anyway as do anywhere else. The actual hermancainaward behavior is a number who is just very loud about their stupidity because they are Americans and enjoy having loud stupidity and we amplify it.  But their numbers aren't that out of line with what it seems like we should expect anywhere in the world.

Netherlands 22,196,529 129 259
Cyprus 1,138,132 128 269
Cook Islands 22,456 128 127
Mauritius 1,625,865 128 239
Monaco 49,980 126 265
Germany 106,070,782 126 270
Falkland Islands 4,407 125 226
Turkey 106,066,262 125 252
Lithuania 3,339,375 124 269
Malaysia 40,664,674 124 210
Japan 154,971,886 123 217
Anguilla 18,565 123 229
Luxembourg 777,789 123 268
Andorra 93,430 121 245
Liechtenstein 45,718 120 247
Austria 10,750,025 119 269
Switzerland 10,158,674 117 273
Saudi Arabia 41,176,166 117 279
Ecuador 20,813,706 116 244
Sri Lanka 24,927,089 116 236
Panama 5,061,909 116 245
Greece 11,934,359 115 261
United States 386,780,816 115 282
Sint Maarten 49,159 113 212
Curaçao 185,751 113 210
South Korea 57,316,031 112 208
Hong Kong 8,423,251 112 208
El Salvador 7,184,406 110 217
Czech Republic 11,737,482 109 269
Argentina 49,331,494 108 267
Fiji 975,268 108 196
Dominican Republic 11,672,207 107 218
British Virgin Islands 32,229 106 223
Brazil 223,469,326 104 248
Morocco 38,436,040 103 237
Costa Rica 5,278,407 103 272
Estonia 1,338,040 101 269
French Polynesia 282,180 100 251
Slovenia 2,072,356 100 269
New Zealand

Without information on how widely available the vaccines are in those countries and when vaccines became widely available the data doesn’t mean much

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Actually, her numbers are wrong,  it is 65% of black New Yorkers between 18 and 44 are not fully vaccinated.  Also, another 9% have had at least one shot.

However, again.  This vaccine is WIDELY available and FREE.  So what the fuck is BLM doing to ensure that black citizens get vaccinated?  Seems like they could be doing a lot of good rather than protesting a shitty tourist trap with a hostess that might have used a slur when enforcing the law.  BLM is on the wrong side of this.

Seriously.  If the BLM people truly believe that black lives matter, they should be doing everything in their power to get those black lives vaccinated so they can, in fact, matter.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, ouflak said:

I think it’s pretty easy to take a look around and see that this vaccine isn’t some sort of “give this to black people and see what happens” situation like has been done in years past.  Billions of people have gotten the vaccine, the richest and whitest men were at the front of the line.  6 months ago, sure I can see hesitation from various groups but not any longer. 

• Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think it’s pretty easy to take a look around and see that this vaccine isn’t some sort of “give this to black people and see what happens” situation like has been done in years past.  Billions of people have gotten the vaccine, the richest and whitest men were at the front of the line.  6 months ago, sure I can see hesitation from various groups but not any longer. 

Yep.  I understand the hesitancy based on historical events, but we're so far into this that any remaining hesitancy isn't fact based. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Michele Obama said that maybe kids shouldn’t eat deep fried chocolate for lunch, and conservatives lost their fucking minds.

Multiple MAGA dipshits have asked me why the CDC is pushing vaccines but not encouraging a healthy diet and exercise. I responded by pointing them to the CDC’s website, which strongly encourages, and provides detailed recommendations for, a healthy diet and exercise. They then spend the next few days forgetting that they ever had this conversation with me.

Honestly, I’m fucking sick of the arrogantly dumb.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Boy howdy. r/nursing

However, the more I think about the absolute clusterfuck from today, the more disgusted I become with the whole absurd, and, quite frankly, unethical mess that was my patient today.

I'm a home health nurse in a rural part of the country, where conspiracy theories involving COVID and vaccines abound. So, my agency gets a call from someone we all know who also works in healthcare. This is a region of small-ish towns, and the healthcare community is very small. Everyone pretty much knows everyone. So, she calls to talk to us about her mother, who has advanced dementia and is also COVID positive. She is on day 7 of her quarantine. They... they wanted us to come and give her IV fluids because she's not really eating or drinking.

My gut feeling was to say no, but it's not really my call. My boss tells me this morning that I have to go admit her for nursing, PT, and OT services. I told her I thought it was an inappropriate admission, especially when she told me this woman is so demented that she can't even be instructed to deep breathe and cough. I said if she's in that bad of shape, she should be taken to a hospital. My protests fell upon deaf ears.

So I go to this woman's house out in the middle of fucking nowhere, and she's there with her daughter (the woman we all know) and a paid caregiver. She's pale, cyanotic, and is SOB with minimal exertion. Her O2 sat was in the 60's on 6L/min via nasal cannula. I texted my boss. "I'm not remotely comfortable with this." And I told her what was going on. She tells me to talk to the ordering physician.

So I call the PCP's office. I tell them I'm with the patient now, and that she's satting in the fucking 60's on 6L. They say she needs to go to the ER. Daughter pipes up and says they're not going to take her to the ER; that she's been speaking with the ordering provider on her cell phone because they're personal friends. Meanwhile, the nurse on the phone is confused as hell, because NONE of these conversations have been documented. And when I looked in her chart on our system, we had an order uploaded to her chart for A DIFFERENT FUCKING PATIENT. WE DIDN'T EVEN TECHNICALLY HAVE ORDERS TO ADMIT THIS WOMAN.

By this time, I'm fuming. I feel fucked over and set up for failure, and I want to choke the daylights out of the daughter because all this time, she's telling me that they can take better care of her at home and that if she goes to the hospital, she'll just die there. Because apparently, IV fluids are going to fucking save her. At around this time, I find out the ordering physician hasn't even fucking seen the patient before, and she's just ordering all this fucking bullshit because she's friends with the daughter.

At this point, I want to fucking scream, especially after her nitwit daughter tells me she isn't vaccinated because she wants "natural immunity," all the while talking about how scary this virus is. She tells me that her family owns a local business and how "employees are dropping like flies and some of them can't return to work because their lungs are shot." No shit, Sherlock Shit-For-Brains. Then she keeps talking to her mom, telling her that "you need to get up and move so your lungs get stronger." Spoiler alert: she would de sat to the 40's and 50's with movement.

So I finally got what information I could get, got paperwork signed, and got right the fuck on out of there, cursing under my breath the entire time. This admission was straight, pure, full-strengh, unadulterated bullshit from start to finish. It was a freshly baked, aromatic shit cake with fuck-this frosting. It took place about 7 hours ago, and I'm still mad as hell. I wanted no part of it, but that didn't matter. I'm hoping to fall asleep soon and be less irate.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 4

"Soul crushing."  US Covid-19 deaths are topping 1900 per day.

COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. have climbed to an average of more than 1,900 a day for the first time since early March, with experts saying the virus is preying largely on a distinct group: 71 million unvaccinated Americans.

The increasingly lethal turn has filled hospitals, complicated the start of the school year, delayed the return to offices and demoralized health care workers.

“It is devastating," said Dr. Dena Hubbard, a pediatrician in the Kansas City, Missouri, area who has cared for babies delivered prematurely by cesarean section in a last-ditch effort to save their mothers, some of whom died. For health workers, the deaths, combined with misinformation and disbelief about the virus, have been "heart-wrenching, soul-crushing."

https://www.click2houston.com/health/2021/09/21/soul-crushing-us-covid-19-deaths-are-topping-1900-a-day/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=kprc2

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. have climbed to an average of more than 1,900 a day for the first time since early March, with experts saying the virus is preying largely on a distinct group: 71 million unvaccinated Americans.

The increasingly lethal turn has filled hospitals, complicated the start of the school year, delayed the return to offices and demoralized health care workers.

“It is devastating," said Dr. Dena Hubbard, a pediatrician in the Kansas City, Missouri, area who has cared for babies delivered prematurely by cesarean section in a last-ditch effort to save their mothers, some of whom died. For health workers, the deaths, combined with misinformation and disbelief about the virus, have been "heart-wrenching, soul-crushing."

https://www.click2houston.com/health/2021/09/21/soul-crushing-us-covid-19-deaths-are-topping-1900-a-day/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=kprc2

john-bender-funny.gif

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Lets see... 71 million unvaccinated with 1,900 dying per day.... shit... it's gonna take 37,368 days to get rid of the all!  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Multiple MAGA dipshits have asked me why the CDC is pushing vaccines but not encouraging a healthy diet and exercise. I responded by pointing them to the CDC’s website, which strongly encourages, and provides detailed recommendations for, a healthy diet and exercise. They then spend the next few days forgetting that they ever had this conversation with me.

I saw a meme yesterday that was something to the effect of "Why doesn't the CDC mandate diet and exercise? I responded that 1. Heat attacks and diabetes aren't contagious, and 2. If you're diabetic or take meds for heart disease (like statins) you're likely already in a higher insurance risk pool. Then I asked him if he'd get vaxxed if his insurance company threatened to drop him...because I think that's where we're headed. Either dropping you all together, or raising your rates a shit ton. It's going to be interesting with open enrollment right around the corner if there are questions about Covid or vaccination status.  

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think it’s pretty easy to take a look around and see that this vaccine isn’t some sort of “give this to black people and see what happens”

And it's this kind of patronizing attitude, especially in the mass media, that I feel is truly hardening the stance of many in the black community. Have you grown up with multiple generations of ingrained mistrust in government medical initiatives? If not, ofcourse it's easy for you! But as long as we continue to so casually dismiss such long entrenched, and justified, attitudes on the basis of 'we think it's pretty easy to take a look around', the more likely we are to have vast gulfs of misunderstanding and conflict. At some point, this insulting patronizing, and mandates that come with, is going to be found to be the wrong approach entirely. It's looking like that will be many thousands of deaths in the black community later.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ouflak said:

And it's this kind of patronizing attitude, especially in the mass media, that I feel is truly hardening the stance of many in the black community. Have you grown up with multiple generations of ingrained mistrust in government medical initiatives? If not, ofcourse it's easy for you! But as long as we continue to so casually dismiss such long entrenched, and justified, attitudes on the basis of 'we think it's pretty easy to take a look around', the more likely we are to have vast gulfs of misunderstanding and conflict. At some point, this insulting patronizing, and mandates that come with, is going to be found to be the wrong approach entirely. It's looking like that will be many thousands of deaths in the black community later.

I'm sure the covid virus will take all that into consideration.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Concern troll is concerned. 

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, ouflak said:

The ironic thing to me is that most of the people who refuse vaccination and then say shit like, "Don't blame me for this surge, look at all the blacks not being vaccinated for whatever reasons."  They spend their whole life feeling superior to black people, only to---at the very end---join them in solidarity.  

23 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Concern troll is concerned. 

I know I'm probably violating all sorts of internet rules by replying to this, but why would I not be concerned about the needless deaths and sickness of those in the black community, including members of my very own close family? Is there some logical reason why I shouldn't be? Is it more constructive to be as dismissive as many of those in this thread? If indeed it is the case that that is a more effective attitude, then why is this not working on a national scale?

Edited by ouflak

36 minutes ago, ouflak said:

So how do you fix it, then, and get the black community vaccinated?  As I said above, at this point anyone who is vaccine hesitant (or anti-vax) is not basing this decision on facts.  And once facts leave the conversation, convincing anyone of anything becomes nearly impossible.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So how do you fix it, then, and get the black community vaccinated?  As I said above, at this point anyone who is vaccine hesitant (or anti-vax) is not basing this decision on facts.  And once facts leave the conversation, convincing anyone of anything becomes nearly impossible.

First, the patronizing has to stop. Second, all mandates are going to do is disenfranchise and harden positions. I'd drop that, and fast. Next, I'd offer every effective non-invasive remedy available (based on the science) as an alternative, and do so very positively and aggressively (no patronizing). Then, have members of the community very publicly being examples of trust and confidence that this vaccine is NOT a bad thing at all. And then time. That's probably outrageously idealistic. But that's how'd I do it.

Edited by ouflak
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

There will be many people that are just hopeless...black, white, brown, and purple. You won't get them all, but you engage black community leaders, pastors, etc.  Put black african american scientists in front of the dialog. Kizzy Corbett, one of the key contributors to the development of the Moderna vaccine, has been doing a hero's job of outreach to the black community. Keep beating the drum.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ouflak said:

First, the patronizing has to stop. Second, all mandates are going to do is disenfranchise and harden positions. I'd drop that, and fast. Next, I'd offer every effective non-invasive remedy available (based on the science) as an alternative, and do so very positively and aggressively (no patronizing). Then, have members of the community very publicly being examples of trust and confidence that this is NOT a bad thing at all. And then time. That's probably outrageously idealistic. But that's how I do it.

Ain't nobody got time for that.  And yes, it's completely idealistic and never going to happen.  I treat anti vaxxers just like I treat MAGA idiots these days.  With thinly veiled contempt (if in person) or full-blown contempt (if online).

Either get your shit together and get vaccinated, or enjoy COVID.  Better hope you're not one of the ones who gets a bad case.  It sounds terrifying.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There will be many people that are just hopeless...black, white, brown, and purple. You won't get them all, but you engage black community leaders, pastors, etc.  Put black african american scientists in front of the dialog. Kizzy Corbett, one of the key contributors to the development of the Moderna vaccine, has been doing a hero's job of outreach to the black community. Keep beating the drum.   

I liked when the Washington Football Team invited her to speak to the players directly about the vaccine and after that happened, one of their players said he wasn't going to get vaccinated until he had more facts.  Having one of the creators of the mRNA vaccines right in front of him wasn't enough facts.  He wanted to see what his dumb uncle on Facebook had to say first.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/557718-washington-football-team-has-vaccine-scientist-speak-with

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I liked when the Washington Football Team invited her to speak to the players directly about the vaccine and after that happened, one of their players said he wasn't going to get vaccinated until he had more facts.  Having one of the creators of the mRNA vaccines right in front of him wasn't enough facts.  He wanted to see what his dumb uncle on Facebook had to say first.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/557718-washington-football-team-has-vaccine-scientist-speak-with

After the visit from the vaccine scientist, Washington defensive end Montez Sweat expressed that he still had a hesitancy to getting vaccinated, USA Today reported.

“I’m not a fan of it at all,” Sweat said during a Zoom call on Wednesday. “I won’t get vaccinated until I get more facts.”

“I haven’t caught COVID yet,” Sweat continued. “So, I don’t see me treating COVID until I actually get COVID.”

Computer Rage GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

Seriously -

Climate change - critical issue, need to do some more research, heckuva difficult problem.

Border/immigration - damn hard issue, can't win for losing -- need to put some resources into that.

Guns and violence - don't get me started.

Plus  a plethora of other issues.

COVID - we know that vaccines lower the incidence.  We have our solution.  Mandate the vaccine everywhere the Constitution allows you to (which is everywhere).  Give some more money to the CDC for PR and to help improve their rep. 

Now work on the other problems.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I can't believe Montez Sweat's one year at Mississippi State didn't get him a more versed knowledge of microbiology and physiology.  

He left the meeting, according to this quotes in the article, with the understanding that the vaccine is a treatment for Covid-19 that you take after you get Covid.  

So yeah, he gets to make millions of dollars while the a dozen health care workers go on suicide watch each day out of frustration and depression.  

38 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Seriously -

Climate change - critical issue, need to do some more research, heckuva difficult problem.

Border/immigration - damn hard issue, can't win for losing -- need to put some resources into that.

Guns and violence - don't get me started.

Plus  a plethora of other issues.

COVID - we know that vaccines lower the incidence.  We have our solution.  Mandate the vaccine everywhere the Constitution allows you to (which is everywhere).  Give some more money to the CDC for PR and to help improve their rep. 

Now work on the other problems.

Mandate the vaccine. Do not admit non-vaxxed COVID patients over age 18 to the hospital unless they are medically unable to get the vaccine. Increase non-vaxxed health insurance premiums unless medically unable to get the vaccine. Problem solved. You get to keep the "muh body, muh rights" intact and you don't clog up the healthcare system for the rest of us. A bunch of mouth-breathing Americans die, making America Great Again in the process!

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

What were the dipshits saying when Michelle Obama was pushing for healthier school lunches?
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If there’s one place the deep state medical community WOULDN’T hide the vaccine if we want to get it into Qpers, it’s salad dressing 

Ranch is technically salad dressing.  Pretty sure that segment of the population chugs it like water.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I mean it's Popeye's, if you order one there's a 50/50 chance you'll get the other. And a flat soda with no ice...because they're out of ice. And straws. 

Guess my local Popeyes isn't unique.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, elfenix said:

you act like that dressing is going on salet.

42 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Ranch is technically salad dressing.  Pretty sure that segment of the population chugs it like water.

40 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I would thing Qper blood is at least 20% ranch dressing.

Yeah I guess I don’t think of ranch as actually salet  dressing. He may be on to something 

Edited by Sawbonz
Salet

No, the food is then rearranged into the proper order for you by the AlTron 4800, and beamed back to the restaurant for packaging. You ordered a two-piece spicy with red beans and rice? No, you got a three piece mild with green beans. There are two biscuits in the bag. Why? Because the AlTron 4800 knew you were a little weak in terms of gut flora, and that you needed some easy chicken work to go with that necessary vegetable matter. The lack of red beans and rice is to teach you humility; the extra biscuit is to remind you that blessings, while random and surprising, are real. God might not respond, but he doesn’t cheat you. Neither does Popeyes.

https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2017/1/4/14166686/popeyes-is-perfect-and-you-are-the-problem

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

I've been traveling and have some fresh perspectives.

I was 2 weeks in Croatia with my girlfriend's family, i only add that to say that we were mostly in the homes of and with the people who live there rather than in hotels with other tourists.

They have plenty of anti-vaxxers there too. 2 different of her friends don't trust the vaccine. It didn't seem like a political thing, they just don't trust it. One of the 2 was one of her oldest friends who is now a realtor in Italy, so that tracks. Her and her other friends were friend were basically telling her to quit being stupid but she wasn't budging. Its just too new and we don't have enough info yet.

Also saw on the local news, which had to be translated for me, some parents were at the local school protesting the mask requirements. I have to admit being a little encouraged to learn that the US doesn't have a monopoly on stupid.

I spent a few days in Germany and currently visiting family outside of Waco on my way back home to San Francisco. My daughter joined me in Munich from LA for a few days and shared with me that a few of my nephews here in Texas we home with COVID - of course nobody else warned me before arriving because, why would they?

So the family in Texas is split between red-meat Trumpers and fairly sane single issue (abortion) voters who are still heavily influenced from all the bs the Trumpers spread.

So I get here to learn that of my sisters 4 adult children, the 2 un-vaxxed ones have COVID, as do their spouses and at least one of their children. Another, who's actually to the left of me, is partially vaxxed and is pretty sick with COVID in San Antonio right now. The last of the 4 is fully vaxxed and COVID-free, but had kept the fact that he and his wife got vaccinated because they are expecting secret for fear of the shit he'd take from his brothers for getting the poke. He had secretly confided in my daughter, who then told me, then I evidently let that cat out of the bag not knowing it was secret.

Thank the gods that the vaccination was only available to the olds at 1st, before the anti-vax thing really got wound up because all the older family members did get the shot as soon as they could. 

I say that because last night my 73yo mother, 66yo aunt, and 83yo uncle all tested positive. The aunt is very pro-vax/mask/etc and is visiting from Florida, she was pretty pissed to have arrived here to learn of all the COVID cases in the family that nobody warned her about. Thankfully none of them are showing feeling anything other very minor symptoms at this point. I'll thank the vaccine for that, but the rest of the red meaters in the family will point to the fact that they tested positive at all as proof that the vaccine is worthless. That already point to me being positive back in July as an excuse not to get it. 

As soon as word got out that the 3 olds were positive everybody rushed over here, fuck "avoiding it like the plague", they even ordered pizzas. My sister and other daughter, who lives here, are unvaxxed and refused to even test. "I feel fine, I'll test if I feel anything. Im just trying to make wise choices!" Yes, they used the word "wise". 

I don't know how to combat it. I can only tell them to stop being stupid so many times before it begins to jeopardize relationships with people I love. 

And people wonder why I got the fuck out of here back in 1997. I can't wait to be home next week. 

https://news.yahoo.com/california-now-nations-lowest-virus-231844047.html?fr=yhssrp_catchall

Im glad Im vaxxed and with a recent recovery, I feel pretty safe at least. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1