CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

This is from reddit's public freak out sub. I started to post the direct link to embed but it auto-played (fuck auto-play) in this comment box, so I deleted it. Here's a link to the mirrored file. 

https://mirror.fro.wtf/reddit/post/3216632

Also, fuck these people. I hope they all get covid and die a miserable death.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

My mom has the same timeline and her recent fight with covid was pretty bad. Had to do the infusion thing. 

Also lost 3 cousins this week to this shit, all in the Abilene area. Masks not welcome is what I was told for the funeral. Wtf is wrong with people? A funeral for someone that died of covid, all you fucks aren't vaxed and masks aren't welcome? Thank God we stopped family reunions a couple years ago. 

Good lord.  I don't even know what to say.  I'm sorry for the loss of your cousins.  No way in hell would I go to those funerals.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This is from reddit's public freak out sub. I started to post the direct link to embed but it auto-played (fuck auto-play) in this comment box, so I deleted it. Here's a link to the mirrored file. 

Again, this shit never happens around me.  Please. Just. Once. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

A comment said it was the Staten Island Mall. Is that a bad thing?

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

My mom has the same timeline and her recent fight with covid was pretty bad. Had to do the infusion thing. 

Also lost 3 cousins this week to this shit, all in the Abilene area. Masks not welcome is what I was told for the funeral. Wtf is wrong with people? A funeral for someone that died of covid, all you fucks aren't vaxed and masks aren't welcome? Thank God we stopped family reunions a couple years ago. 

Man, that's bad. Sounds like the families are determined to prove something.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good lord.  I don't even know what to say.  I'm sorry for the loss of your cousins.  No way in hell would I go to those funerals.

36 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Man, that's bad. Sounds like the families are determined to prove something.

Yea definitely not going. I haven't really been close to them for awhile but my uncle that called earlier said 2 were married to preachers and they are fully against the vaccine. Evidently one of their brothers showed up to the house with a shotgun pissed off wanting to shoot one of them for being against vaccines and saying he killed his sister, don't blame him really. Crazy ass shit out there 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Yea definitely not going. I haven't really been close to them for awhile but my uncle that called earlier said 2 were married to preachers and they are fully against the vaccine. Evidently one of their brothers showed up to the house with a shotgun pissed off wanting to shoot one of them for being against vaccines and saying he killed his sister, don't blame him really. Crazy ass shit out there 

Brother shoulda pulled the trigger till it went click. Justified.

Hyberbole aside, even if they’re not legally committing murder, they’re doing so morally and ethically. Their knowing, purposeful actions are causing the death of another. It’s evil.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Fairly "minor".  Good O2, no fever, mostly just fatigue, aches, congestion.  She just lost her sense of smell, though, which apparently is a mindfuck.

Day 4.  

Found out this week that another one of my employees had covid just before she started working for us.  Took her a month to shake it.  During that month she apparently gave it to a neighbor, who, 10 months later, still has no sense of taste or smell.  I'd think that would be almost as bad as long term loss of lung capacity.

Do people that lose their sense of smell and/or taste...do they experience heightened senses otherwise like how blind people can hear really well or have very sensitive touch?  

After all this time in my central-ish Austin bubble, I finally encountered one of these nutters in the wild. 

The fam and I went out to eat last night. Some rando guy from another table saw my son eating with his mask down under his chin (kid's 11 and we're not doing any indoor dining...you have to go thru the restaurant to get seated on the patio, so we have masks). He comes over and stands over me and gets right up close in my face (both of us maskless) and says, "I was told to tell you that you have a beautiful son." [Cue my hackles starting to rise].

Me: Oh, thank you.

Him: But that mask isn't what's going to protect him. 

Me: Uh...we're just following the science. And he's too young to get vaccinated.

Him: Well God is looking out for him (can't recall exact dialogue, was  already a couple margs in)

Me: Dude....he's not even wearing it right now, because we're outside, eating.

Him: I know. But it doesn't do anything. And I was just compelled to tell you.

Me: You said you were told to tell me...by who?

Him: ...the Holy Spirit. 

Me: Uh ok, man. Whatever.

That was kind of it, he went back to sit with his wife. 

Then after they left, we were told they had paid for our meal. Fucking bizarre behavior. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 6

33 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Found out this week that another one of my employees had covid just before she started working for us.  Took her a month to shake it.  During that month she apparently gave it to a neighbor, who, 10 months later, still has no sense of taste or smell.  I'd think that would be almost as bad as long term loss of lung capacity.

I was really worried about long term loss of taste/smell, but luckily I got it back really fast.  

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Do people that lose their sense of smell and/or taste...do they experience heightened senses otherwise like how blind people can hear really well or have very sensitive touch?  

No

5 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

After all this time in my central-ish Austin bubble, I finally encountered one of these nutters in the wild. 

The fam and I went out to eat last night. Some rando guy from another table saw my son eating with his mask down under his chin (kid's 11 and we're not doing any indoor dining...you have to go thru the restaurant to get seated on the patio, so we have masks). He comes over and stands over me and gets right up close in my face (both of us maskless) and says, "I was told to tell you that you have a beautiful son." [Cue my hackles starting to rise].

Me: Uh...we're just following the science. And he's too young to get vaccinated.

Him: Well God is looking out for him (can't recall exact dialogue, was  already a couple margs in)

Then after they left, we were told they had paid for our meal. Fucking bizarre behavior. 

Fuuuuuuuuck that. 

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

No. You just can’t taste or smell. It is a complete mindfuck and I just can not overstate how much it sucks to not be able to taste food. If it lasts for a long time I will fall into depression.

3 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

LOLz at anyone in my family telling me I can't attend the funeral.

I may or may not wear the mask.  It has fuck all to do with the other person in a personal setting. It's my personal choice.   Bring it the fuck on if you want to have that conversation...and you're not going to like how it turns out.  Mind your own fucking business and sit there and roll the dice with darwin, you hardheaded motherfuckers.

Leave me alone about it though...

Also, see lots of comorbities in that video. I hope every single one of those fuckers finds out. We need less stupid in the world.
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

creepy as fuck

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

No. You just can’t taste or smell. It is a complete mindfuck and I just can not overstate how much it sucks to not be able to taste food. If it lasts for a long time I will fall into depression.

I got a couple of strongly scented candles and started sniffing them every half hour or so in a effort to “re-start” the scent cells or whatever. Read somewhere it might help and about three days later I started regaining smell.  Could have done nothing, but didn’t hurt. 

I wonder which DT poster that was.
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Shoulda picked up a few bottles of liquor on the way out on him and the Holy Spirit ... 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I got a couple of strongly scented candles and started sniffing them every half hour or so in a effort to “re-start” the scent cells or whatever. Read somewhere it might help and about three days later I started regaining smell.  Could have done nothing, but didn’t hurt. 

Farts. Did you let one rip in the no smell time that was a paint peeler? And more importantly did you crop dust anyone?

Edit: you would have to crop dust to know its paint peeling quality. Doh

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is absurd:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic01.nyt.com%2Fimages%2F2021%2F09%2F27%2Fmultimedia%2F27-MORNING-sub4-COUNTIES-VOTING-DEATH-CHART%2F27-MORNING-sub4-COUNTIES-VOTING-DEATH-CHART-articleLarge.png&t=1632747691&ymreqid=9bc22188-9d5f-114a-1c22-9306fb010e00&sig=T0gsBHMzilNgCy37zHSSKA--~D

Spoiler

The New York Times

The Morning

September 27, 2021

By David Leonhardt

Good morning. Covid’s partisan pattern is growing more extreme.

Treating a Covid patient in Sarasota, Fla., last week.Shannon Stapleton/Reuters
Red Covid
During the early months of Covid-19 vaccinations, several major demographic groups lagged in receiving shots, including Black Americans, Latino Americans and Republican voters.

More recently, the racial gaps — while still existing — have narrowed. The partisan gap, however, continues to be enormous. A Pew Research Center poll last month found that 86 percent of Democratic voters had received at least one shot, compared with 60 percent of Republican voters.

The political divide over vaccinations is so large that almost every reliably blue state now has a higher vaccination rate than almost every reliably red state:

Data as of Sept. 23. Chart excludes Washington D.C.The New York Times
Because the vaccines are so effective at preventing serious illness, Covid deaths are also showing a partisan pattern. Covid is still a national crisis, but the worst forms of it are increasingly concentrated in red America.

Data as of Sept. 23. Chart shows the 14-day average and excludes Washington D.C.The New York Times
As is often the case, state-by-state numbers can understate the true pattern, because every state has both liberal and conservative areas. When you look at the county level, the gap can look even starker.

Below is a set of charts, created by my colleague Ashley Wu, that offers a close-up of one typical red state, Wyoming, and one typical blue state, Maryland:

Data as of Sept. 23.The New York Times

Data as of Sept. 23. Charts show the 14-day average.The New York Times
When Covid was bluer
It’s worth remembering that Covid followed a different pattern for more than a year after its arrival in the U.S. Despite widespread differences in mask wearing — and scientific research suggesting that masks reduce the virus’s spread — the pandemic was if anything worse in blue regions. Masks evidently were not powerful enough to overcome other regional differences, like the amount of international travel that flows through major metro areas, which tend to be politically liberal.

Vaccination has changed the situation. The vaccines are powerful enough to overwhelm other differences between blue and red areas.

Some left-leaning communities — like many suburbs of New York, San Francisco and Washington, as well as much of New England — have such high vaccination rates that even the unvaccinated are partly protected by the low number of cases. Conservative communities, on the other hand, have been walloped by the highly contagious Delta variant. (You can find data for hundreds of counties here.)

Since Delta began circulating widely in the U.S., Covid has exacted a horrific death toll on red America: In counties where Donald Trump received at least 70 percent of the vote, the virus has killed about 47 out of every 100,000 people since the end of June, according to Charles Gaba, a health care analyst. In counties where Trump won less than 32 percent of the vote, the number is about 10 out of 100,000.

And the gap will probably keep growing:

Chart shows the 14-day average. Excludes parts of Alaska, New York and Washington D.C. because of data availability.The New York Times
Why is this happening?
Some of the vaccination gap stems from the libertarian instincts of many Republicans. “They understand freedom as being left alone to make their own choices, and they resent being told what to do,” William Galston has written in The Wall Street Journal.

But philosophy is only a partial explanation. In much of the rest of the world, vaccine attitudes do not break down along right-left lines, and some conservative leaders have responded effectively to Covid. So have a few Republican governors in the U.S. “It didn’t have to be this way,” German Lopez of Vox has written.

What distinguishes the U.S. is a conservative party — the Republican Party — that has grown hostile to science and empirical evidence in recent decades. A conservative media complex, including Fox News, Sinclair Broadcast Group and various online outlets, echoes and amplifies this hostility. Trump took the conspiratorial thinking to a new level, but he did not create it.

“With very little resistance from party leaders,” my colleague Lisa Lerer wrote this summer, many Republicans “have elevated falsehoods and doubts about vaccinations from the fringes of American life to the center of our political conversation.”

‘Owning the left’
With the death count rising, at least a few Republicans appear to be worried about what their party and its allies have sown.

In an article this month for Breitbart, the right-wing website formerly run by Steve Bannon, John Nolte argued that the partisan gap in vaccination rates was part of a liberal plot. Liberals like Biden, Nancy Pelosi, Anthony Fauci and Howard Stern have tried so hard to persuade people to get vaccinated, because they know that Republican voters will do the opposite of whatever they say, Nolte wrote.

His argument is certainly bizarre, given that Democratic politicians have been imploring all Americans to get vaccinated and many Republican politicians have not. But Nolte did offer a glimpse at a creeping political fear among some Republicans. “Right now, a countless number of Trump supporters believe they are owning the left by refusing to take a lifesaving vaccine,” Nolte wrote. “In a country where elections are decided on razor-thin margins, does it not benefit one side if their opponents simply drop dead?”

Promising ideas
How might more conservative Americans be persuaded to get vaccinated?

One intriguing anecdote involves the football team at the University of Mississippi, which is entirely vaccinated even though the state has one of the nation’s lowest vaccination rates. Coaches there emphasized the tangible, short-term costs of getting Covid, rather than the more remote chance of death: The players might have to miss a game, and the team might have to forfeit it, if they tested positive.

A related message is duty, Timothy Carney has written in The Washington Examiner. If Carney had refused to get vaccinated, he explained, he would have risked loading more work onto his wife, his colleagues and his partner in teaching Sunday school, as well as forced his children to miss school.

In The Atlantic, Olga Khazan has argued that fear remains the best motivator, based on her interviews with Tucker Carlson viewers who nonetheless have been vaccinated. And Daniel Darling, an evangelical author, has said that one-on-one conversations encouraging conservatives to talk with their doctors will have more success than any top-down campaign.

Then again, Darling’s message also shows why the vaccination gap exists in the first place. After he wrote an op-ed in USA Today about his decision to get vaccinated, Darling’s employer — NRB, an association of Christian broadcasters — fired him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Donning paper bags would afford no Covid protection, but just the same I sure would appreciate it. TIA.

• Like 1

And if that happens, BLM will be marginalized and lose a lot of the support they gained post George Floyd.  BLM is in the wrong on this, and so are you.  But you being wrong is nothing new.  You are probably one of the three worst posters on this site.

I mean I understand the guy’s point but his issue isn’t vaccine mandates so much as disproportionate enforcement of mandates (or any other law).

What's really funny about Fozzz and his greyzone chud ilk on this stuff is that they're doing the thing they generally accuse centrist shitlibs of doing. Leftists generally advocate for universal rules that are meant to benefit society at large, while more center-left liberals tend to view that as unrealistic/too difficult and advocate for an incremental approach that they think can make some modest improvements for some people.

But on this issue, where a universal approach is so clearly preferable, the reactionary "I'm the real leftist!" crowd thinks we need to make exceptions to general rules to cater to the feelings of the craziest fringe of our society. It's almost as if they've always been full of shit and are actually reactionary conservatives seeking to divide the left.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3