CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

48 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And if that happens, BLM will be marginalized and lose a lot of the support they gained post George Floyd.  BLM is in the wrong on this, and so are you.  But you being wrong is nothing new.  You are probably one of the three worst posters on this site.

Marginalized by who? You? You were never an ally to begin with. They'll be ok. 

• Fuck You 13

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

I mean I understand the guy’s point but his issue isn’t vaccine mandates so much as disproportionate enforcement of mandates (or any other law).

Which I would understand if the same guy and other NY BLM leaders weren't using incorrect vaccination stats in NYC to try and argue that the vaccine mandates would disenfranchise black people.  However, BLM is doing NOTHING to ensure black people go get vaccinated.  They could do a lot more good doing that than complaining that people will be disenfranchised because of their choice.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Which I would understand if the same guy and other NY BLM leaders were using incorrect vaccination stats in NYC to say the vaccine mandates would disenfranchise people.  However, BLM is doing NOTHING to ensure black people go get vaccinated.  They could do a lot more good doing that than complaining that people will be disenfranchised because of their choice.  

kinda hard to vote if you're dead

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

"What is the difference between troll and man?

Troll women offer human men horses, profitable mills, silk shirts, and magic swords. Sure maybe it's a lie, but human females don't offer shit and if you share your feelings about Thor on the first date they bolt when they get that "urgent" phone call which is just their best friend doing the pre-planned bail call.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And let's be clear, when they say disenfranchised, they mean not allowed to go to concerts, restaurants etc....

I have zero sympathy to offer to anyone not wanting to get a vaccination. The New York anti-vaxxers can go hangout with their spiritual leader, Kyrie “The Flat Earther” Irving, and enjoy not being able to live a normal existence in society because they WILLINGLY CHOOSE TO NOT GET VACCINATED. You mess around you eventually find out. Covid does not care what your skin color is or your place in society. Either do the right thing for the greater good of society or sit at home and be angry.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I have zero sympathy to offer to anyone not wanting to get a vaccination. The New York anti-vaxxers can go hangout with their spiritual leader, Kyrie “The Flat Earther” Irving, and enjoy not being able to live a normal existence in society because they WILLINGLY CHOOSE TO NOT GET VACCINATED. You mess around you eventually find out. Covid does not care what your skin color is or your place in society. Either do the right thing for the greater good of society or sit at home and be angry.

Had employee call me this morning all (allegedly) disappointed because they tested positive for Covid yesterday.  In nicer terms, I reminded him, "Hey motherfucker, remeber last week when you were laughing about not getting the shot?"

I don't wish him harm or bad health.  It's just so fucking stupid...and preventable.  Frustrated as fuck about repeated FAAFO by these clowns, and by that I mean them getting Covid, not dying.

19 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

After all this time in my central-ish Austin bubble, I finally encountered one of these nutters in the wild. 

The fam and I went out to eat last night. Some rando guy from another table saw my son eating with his mask down under his chin (kid's 11 and we're not doing any indoor dining...you have to go thru the restaurant to get seated on the patio, so we have masks). He comes over and stands over me and gets right up close in my face (both of us maskless) and says, "I was told to tell you that you have a beautiful son." [Cue my hackles starting to rise].

Me: Oh, thank you.

Him: But that mask isn't what's going to protect him. 

Me: Uh...we're just following the science. And he's too young to get vaccinated.

Him: Well God is looking out for him (can't recall exact dialogue, was  already a couple margs in)

Me: Dude....he's not even wearing it right now, because we're outside, eating.

Him: I know. But it doesn't do anything. And I was just compelled to tell you.

Me: You said you were told to tell me...by who?

Him: ...the Holy Spirit. 

Me: Uh ok, man. Whatever.

That was kind of it, he went back to sit with his wife. 

Then after they left, we were told they had paid for our meal. Fucking bizarre behavior. 

Should have started yelling, "Please stop touching my 11 year old son!!!"

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The true colors of the laptop class are coming out.

• Fuck You 22

49 minutes ago, slorch said:

Had employee call me this morning all (allegedly) disappointed because they tested positive for Covid yesterday.  In nicer terms, I reminded him, "Hey motherfucker, remeber last week when you were laughing about not getting the shot?"

I don't wish him harm or bad health.  It's just so fucking stupid...and preventable.  Frustrated as fuck about repeated FAAFO by these clowns, and by that I mean them getting Covid, not dying.

I think I would’ve just said “okay, cool” and hung up. I would not spend even one moment of a day dealing with anyone who still will not get onboard with the changes that are necessary to be a functioning part of society. I would wish them well and just go on about my day. What a time to be alive this is turning out to be.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

After all this time in my central-ish Austin bubble, I finally encountered one of these nutters in the wild. 

The fam and I went out to eat last night. Some rando guy from another table saw my son eating with his mask down under his chin (kid's 11 and we're not doing any indoor dining...you have to go thru the restaurant to get seated on the patio, so we have masks). He comes over and stands over me and gets right up close in my face (both of us maskless) and says, "I was told to tell you that you have a beautiful son." [Cue my hackles starting to rise].

Me: Oh, thank you.

Him: But that mask isn't what's going to protect him. 

Me: Uh...we're just following the science. And he's too young to get vaccinated.

Him: Well God is looking out for him (can't recall exact dialogue, was  already a couple margs in)

Me: Dude....he's not even wearing it right now, because we're outside, eating.

Him: I know. But it doesn't do anything. And I was just compelled to tell you.

Me: You said you were told to tell me...by who?

Him: ...the Holy Spirit. 

Me: Uh ok, man. Whatever.

That was kind of it, he went back to sit with his wife. 

Then after they left, we were told they had paid for our meal. Fucking bizarre behavior. 

You are a bigger man than me. I would have head butted his ass face.

5 percent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/09/27/misinformation-epidemic-among-unvaccinated-republicans-one-stat/

For months now, it has been evident that the problem with coronavirus vaccine hesitancy is twofold: Not only do the unvaccinated question the safety of the vaccines, but about as importantly, they often doubt the vaccines’ effectiveness in very inaccurate ways. It’s one thing to be convinced to take a vaccine if you worry about side effects; it’s quite another if you also don’t think there’s any benefit.

Now a new poll from Gallup lays bare just how badly misinformed the unvaccinated are on that latter count. And that misinformation overwhelmingly lies on one side: the GOP.

Gallup asked people two questions: First, “what percentage of unvaccinated people have been hospitalized due to the coronavirus?” And second, “what percentage of fully vaccinated people have been hospitalized due to the coronavirus?”

Americans as a whole are actually reasonably well-informed about this. The median American — that is, the person exactly at the midpoint of all views — estimates the vaccines’ efficacy in preventing hospitalization is 80 percent (i.e. they say 20 percent of unvaccinated people require hospital care vs. 2 percent of vaccinated people). A study released this month showed the number is actually about 86 percent.

Gallup’s number derives from some wildly varying estimates of the hospitalization rates for vaccinated and unvaccinated people. For example, Democrats tend to oversell the danger to unvaccinated people, with a plurality wrongly believing at least half require hospital care. (This is why Gallup uses medians rather than averages.) But on balance, when you look at the relative numbers, the median American gets the benefit of vaccines about right.

But then we get to the subgroups. And that’s where we get a sense for just how warped the perceptions of the vaccines are, particularly among unvaccinated Republicans.

Among Democrats, the median view of the vaccines’ efficacy is about right for both vaccinated and unvaccinated people. The median vaccinated Democrat says the vaccines are about 88 percent effective at reducing hospitalizations, while the median unvaccinated Democrats pegs the number at 80 percent. The median vaccinated Republican is less sold on the efficacy of the vaccines even than the median unvaccinated Democrat, estimating a 73 percent reduction in hospitalization from the vaccines they’ve taken. But again, that’s in the ballpark.

Which brings us to unvaccinated Republicans. The median unvaccinated Republican believes that the percentage of unvaccinated people like themselves requiring hospitalization is 5 percent. How does that compare to how they believe the vaccinated fare? It’s exactly the same. They believe the hospitalization rate for vaccinated people is also 5 percent. So the median unvaccinated Republican essentially says the vaccines have net-zero efficacy — i.e. there is no benefit to getting vaccinated when it comes to landing in the hospital.

ZSZ4A3ASEJHJ7LOPM3ADRQRNZY.PNG&w=916

Spoiler

This, it bears reemphasizing, is not even close to accurate. A recent Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study found that unvaccinated people in Los Angeles County were 29.2 times more likely to require hospitalization. This was because they were about five times more likely to get infected, and then, once infected, significantly more likely to wind up in the hospital.

If anything, the most telling gap in this poll is between unvaccinated Democrats and unvaccinated Republicans. Both haven’t seen fit to get the shot; one group, though, is significantly more likely to correctively perceive a benefit if they do, while the other sees little-to-no benefit.

The dilemma from there is figuring out how that happens and what can be done about it. How is a class of people so badly misinformed about the efficacy of vaccines? Gallup surmises that it’s about the news they are consuming.

“Given previous studies on the effects of the media and information during COVID, one possible reason is that Democrats are more consistently exposed to information that favorably portrays vaccine efficacy,” Jonathan Rothwell and Dan Witters write.

Another way to say that would be that they are more consistently exposed to information that actually portrays vaccine efficacy accurately. Unvaccinated Republicans are getting their information from right-wing media and social media that dwells significantly more upon — and often hyperbolizes and misconstrues — the supposed negative aspects of the vaccines.

But while it’s been established how much that media and social media ecosystem oversells the side effects of the vaccines, less well established is how much it’s also feeding false perceptions of how well the vaccines work, even apart from those side effects. That might be as much because it ignores studies like the one in Los Angeles County as that it spins them in a negative light. It’s also possible that people who have decided not to get vaccinated are expressing doubt about vaccine efficacy to justify that decision.

But the effect is the same. And it makes persuasion of the remaining unvaccinated — and especially unvaccinated Republicans — doubly difficult.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

17 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I think I would’ve just said “okay, cool” and hung up. I would not spend even one moment of a day dealing with anyone who still will not get onboard with the changes that are necessary to be a functioning part of society. I would wish them well and just go on about my day. What a time to be alive this is turning out to be.

I’ve dealt with any number of stupid things and decisions by employees through the years. I get paid not to hang up on them, thus, my initial comment that I gave them a much nicer response than they deserved. They do shit all the time that I don’t like on a personal level. This shit is just so frustrating.

30 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

He's probably typing it out on a public library desktop.  HE'S SHOWING US.

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

the ip address isn't stateside, i can tell you that much, this poster's posts are at least routing through london.

i'm starting to have real doubts.

It's not like he's got anything else to do....

Boris Johnson lost in admiration for troops returning from ...

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, slorch said:

I’ve dealt with any number of stupid things and decisions by employees through the years. I get paid not to hang up on them, thus, my initial comment that I gave them a much nicer response than they deserved. They do shit all the time that I don’t like on a personal level. This shit is just so frustrating.

Oh I completely understood your initial post and giving a nicer response than the situation deserved. The frustration level is through the roof all across the country because of this. The solution is so simple, but propaganda is hard to overcome.

I went to work this morning and saw several people reassigned to different classrooms due to the anti- vaxxers being unemployed as of today. One teacher that is also from Texas was happy to see it happen. She said her classroom was better overall today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

bovvered.jpeg

i feel like whitechapel or south london are your spirit animal.

i once saw a guy with his two-ish year old daughter on his shoulders in greenwich who so clearly wanted to fight another guy on a sunday afternoon. the other guy had no daughter on his shoulders and was drunk af. i mean the guy with the daughter was also drunk af and clearly wanted to fight. but he had his daughter on his shoulders.

i doubt you'll think this is a compliment, but i look at you, as a poster, as the guy with the daughter on his shoulders, wanting to fight on a sunday afternoon in greenwich, but cannot do so, because your daughter is there, on your shoulders.

he did say he was taking her home and coming back, but i didn't stick around to see the result.

• Drool 1

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i doubt you'll think this is a compliment, but i look at you, as a poster, as the guy with the daughter on his shoulders, wanting to fight on a sunday afternoon in greenwich, but cannot do so, because your daughter is there, on your shoulders.

The first time I went to England...

I was working at a school in Northern France. Some French guys at the school wanted me to go with them the next day to a school in Greenwich, to translate. Cool. So I go to an Irish bar (every French town has one) and got sorta drunk until kinda late. How late? Until after the local hotels all closed. Did I mention I had just gotten to France and didn't have an apartment yet? So, drunk, I walked all the fuck around town in the early AM, to bars in defunct hotels, looking for even a vestigial room. No luck. Walked past an abandoned medieval building and almost climbed through a window, but it was perched over a stream and I couldn't tell if there was a floor there.

Then it occurred to me that I had a key to my campus office so I'd just crash there. Hike about 2 miles out to the edge of town to campus, yeah maybe I could sleep in my office except every damn outside door is locked. Circle the huge building trying to jimmy doors, no luck, regular Maginot Line construction.

Little patch of woods nearby. Fuck it. I crawl into it, wrap up in my coat, and try to sleep on the cold muddy ground. Big wind kicks up, spraying mist, and some... creatures... are kicking and flapping around cackling demonically. I figure it's an Ancient Gaulish Graveyard. After an hour of that, I'm fuck it, I'll go back to the main building where there are lights and just huddle up until dawn. I'm supposed to meet the French dudes there in the morning anyway.

Which is where they found me, like a big hungover American version of the Poor Little Match Girl. We zip on down the road in the van, coffee gets me through Picardy, through the Chunnel, through the English countryside. We get to Greenwich, and gravity kicks in. I am drooling. At one point one of the French dudes is translating for me because I am so brain dead.

I don't really remember getting back to France. I do know I had them drop me at a hotel in the first town we got to, because it might be too late again by the time we reached home base, and I wasn't doing the Haunted Mud Hole Camp-Out again.

tldr: yeah I'm the dude with the daughter on his shoulders. no offense taken.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 9/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, Anastasis said:

Pre-prints are ruining science. 

Eh, they're accelerating the pace of discovery, they're good for the careers of scientists, they're taking some ownership of the publication process back from the journals, and they make the science more accessible.  They've been great for science.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

The first time I went to England...

I was working at a school in Northern France. Some French guys at the school wanted me to go with them the next day to a school in Greenwich, to translate. Cool. So I go to an Irish bar (every French town has one) and got sorta drunk until kinda late. How late? Until after the local hotels all closed. Did I mention I had just gotten to France and didn't have an apartment yet? So, drunk, I walked all the fuck around town in the early AM, to bars in defunct hotels, looking for even a vestigial room. No luck. Walked past an abandoned medieval building and almost climbed through a window, but it was perched over a stream and I couldn't tell if there was a floor there.

Then it occurred to me that I had a key to my campus office so I'd just crash there. Hike about 2 miles out to the edge of town to campus, yeah maybe I could sleep in my office except every damn outside door is locked. Circle the huge building trying to jimmy doors, no luck, regular Maginot Line construction.

Little patch of woods nearby. Fuck it. I crawl into it, wrap up in my coat, and try to sleep on the cold muddy ground. Big wind kicks up, spraying mist, and some... creatures... are kicking and flapping around cackling demonically. I figure it's an Ancient Gaulish Graveyard. After an hour of that, I'm fuck it, I'll go back to the main building where there are lights and just huddle up until dawn. I'm supposed to meet the French dudes there in the morning anyway.

Which is where they found me, like a big hungover American version of the Poor Little Match Girl. We zip on down the road in the van, coffee gets me through Picardy, through the Chunnel, through the English countryside. We get to Greenwich, and gravity kicks in. I am drooling. At one point one of the French dudes is translating for me because I am so brain dead.

I don't really remember getting back to France. I do know I had them drop me at a hotel in the first town we got to, because it might be too late again by the time we reached home base, and I wasn't doing the Haunted Mud Hole Camp-Out again.

tldr: yeah I'm the dude with the daughter on his shoulders. no offense taken.

lol.

if you don't know europe, you shit out of luck past around 9pm.

once, when the wife wasn't the wife but just a girlfriend, we went through europe on one of those kids' backpacking things. we decided to go to nice, but bailed, because it was too bougie for US, if you can believe it. i mean, she's brown, but i'm whiter than white, and let's be honest, we were fucking backpacking through europe. anyways, too many party kids in nice, so we punted to pisa. guess what? they are reopening the fucking tower, and there are no hotels or hostels available except for a $400 a night special at a high end place which we definitely could not afford. so we take a later train, continuing onto florence. 

i had been to florence before. i was excited to show this city to my girlfriend. we got there around 11pm.

haha. yeah, without reservations, you ain't getting shit in florence at that hour. so we endeavored to sleep in the train station. nope. the vacuums and floor polishers show up and it's "get the fuck out" except in italiano. which was a class i got a c in while in college.

anyways, so we camp up outside the train station, because that city is fucking dark during a new moon, and lay there on our backpacks. the rest of the dregs had better setups than we did. my girlfriend, mostly sound asleep, me mostly awake with a corkscrew bought in rouen behind my back for defense, in a row of homeless people, not a few of which were mentally ill. this one guy i was eyeballing was arrested for assaulting a woman in the train station the next morning when we went for coffee.

good times? i dunno. but it changed my world view as a white dude from texas suburbia.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, At Ease said:

Eh, they're accelerating the pace of discovery, they're good for the careers of scientists, they're taking some ownership of the publication process back from the journals, and they make the science more accessible.  They've been great for science.

I do see the merits of accelerating the pace of knowledge sharing, esp during a pandemic. But at what cost? There has been a lot of pre-print garbage put out over the last 18 months, not without consequence (e.g. a few recent flawed studies related to vax adverse event data injected into social media, off it goes, and for many people that bell doesn't get unrung with a retraction or by knowledgeable people breaking down the flaws/limitations in various outlets). Is it good for science when bad science is amplified in the current environment before it undergoes critical peer review?

Of course, there has been some real garbage that had to be retracted from reputable peer-review outlets as well, so that process also seems broken. Peer review is definitely not some magic pixy dust. I don't know what the answer is, but feel pretty strongly that unreviewed pre-prints combined with the social media disinformation dynamic is problematic.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I do see the merits of accelerating the pace of knowledge sharing, esp during a pandemic. But at what cost? There has been a lot of pre-print garbage put out over the last 18 months, not without consequence (e.g. a few recent flawed studies related to vax adverse event data injected into social media, off it goes, and for many people that bell doesn't get unrung with a retraction or by knowledgeable people breaking down the flaws/limitations in various outlets). Is it good for science when bad science is amplified in the current environment before it undergoes critical peer review?

Of course, there has been some real garbage that had to be retracted from reputable peer-review outlets as well, so that process also seems broken. Peer review is definitely not some magic pixy dust. I don't know what the answer is, but feel pretty strongly that unreviewed pre-prints combined with the social media disinformation dynamic is problematic.

Probably the funniest peered review papers.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/rabble-rouser/201810/intellectual-corruption-and-peer-review

Three scholars have published a slew of intentionally ridiculous papers at major peer-reviewed "scholarly" journals designed to expose the intellectual corruption of parts of academia. The papers make intentionally absurd arguments or present highly implausible (and fabricated) data to justify overturning supposedly (or actually) oppressive and inegalitarian systems of power and status. 

Edited by workswithseed

10 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/rabble-rouser/201810/intellectual-corruption-and-peer-review

Three scholars have published a slew of intentionally ridiculous papers at major peer-reviewed "scholarly" journals designed to expose the intellectual corruption of parts of academia. The papers make intentionally absurd arguments or present highly implausible (and fabricated) data to justify overturning supposedly (or actually) oppressive and inegalitarian systems of power and status. 

Please elaborate on those 3 papers and which of them, if any, are in the hard sciences.

The jokes write themselves.

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

Oh, as long as they're not hard science, phycology can okay any study. Especially Mien Kampf with just a change of a few words. 

You quote an article critical of 3 papers accepted into soft science journals and you think it parallels statistically detailed medical journal articles?  You do realize this is a thread about covid-19, right? 

Regardless of the merit of soft sciences, those "peer-reviewed" articles have nothing to do with those in medical or other hard science journals.  Nothing.  It's apples and oranges.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

You quote an article critical of 3 papers accepted into soft science journals and you think it parallels statistically detailed medical journal articles?  You do realize this is a thread about covid-19, right? 

Regardless of the merit of soft sciences, those "peer-reviewed" articles have nothing to do with those in medical or other hard science journals.  Nothing.  It's apples and oranges.

I just said those were my favorite peer reviewed papers that had to be scrapped. You read more into my sentence than I said, and hell, you and I knew that they were soft science. 

27 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Probably the funniest peered review papers.

you have to have some framework to receive information.  this stuff is funny as a lark. 

thousands of people spend millions of hours doing work that is published, relied, on and verified over and over again.  three dudes write some papers that are never cited or used or who know if even read.  found an easy target to get them published.