CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

On 11/17/2021 at 11:18 AM, Goredho said:

We aren’t in Custer county, but our closest town is. Is a 30% positivity rate bad?  Seems like it might be bad.

E903F1A3-82FD-433D-A5CF-926A5FED0153.jpeg

In Boebert's District (or it was).  

I just looked at her election, and she underperformed Trump with 51.27% of the vote.  He got 52%.  

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Austria going into full lockdown and issuing a nationwide vaccine mandate for all adults.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/11/19/world/covid-vaccine-boosters-mandates

We keep hearing about the massive amounts of new cases in Europe (primarily among the unvaccinated), but are not hearing about the massive uptick in hospitalizations or deaths.  I assume in some places this is happening, but in others it isn't.  I am interested to see what happens over the Winter months.  

I think the reality is we have to learn to live with this thing.  And with the vaccines and pills out there, lockdowns should be a thing of the past.

Of course. Just as I was about to book a trip to Vienna!

Got my booster yesterday. My arm feels like it went 3 rounds with Mike Tyson. Much more soreness than the original shots. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

That's not enough.  They are defying a direct lawful order.  Bust each and every one of them, especially officers and NCOs, to private, sentence them to six months confinement, forfeiture of six months pay, and a dishonorable discharge.  Anything less invites more defiance of orders and subverts good order and discipline.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

We had a big town hall at work with department leadership yesterday.  Fortune 100 company.  2 of the 3 pre-submitted questions were about what the company was going to do to fight OSHA about the vaccination mandate.  Lulz, good luck with all that.

Edited by WBT

4 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Doesn’t he have a conflict of interest to worry about?

Only if his compensation is structured such that it creates a potential conflict between his financial self interests and his obligation to biomedical ethical principles (beneficence, autonomy, etc.). 

3 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

This could easily happen here if a state tried to enforce another lockdown. COVID isn't going away and we have a vaccine. Can't say I blame these people for going crazy, even though that statement might paint me as an anti-masker or anti-vax (both of which I am not).

I would rather see vaccine mandates than another lockdown.  Lockdowns suck for everyone.  But most people who have gotten vaccinated/wear masks, etc.., yeah we are getting really fucking angry that selfish assholes cannot do the right thing for everyone.  The Netherlands is having the Delta spike that they have thus far avoided.  So far, I am not seeing them pushing booster shots.  What I am not certain of is what kind of Green Pass they had, if any, and also masking mandates that were in place.  

We've been as diligent as I can imagine is possible, with the only concession being we let our son play outdoor soccer.  He's playing at a high level . . . last I checked, his team was ranked 28 in the country . . . and they are headed to Florida for some big whatever in February.

And now I'm not sure I'm gonna let him go.

And that sucks.

Because stupid people are stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

So, the Netherlands ICUs are full.  The are largely full of the 60+ range.  Basically, the people that got vaccinated first are now having waning immunity and are starting to have cases again.  They need to get boosters out ASAP.  They JUST started getting boosters to people 60+ this week.  What a shitshow.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We've been as diligent as I can imagine is possible, with the only concession being we let our son play outdoor soccer.  He's playing at a high level . . . last I checked, his team was ranked 28 in the country . . . and they are headed to Florida for some big whatever in February.

And now I'm not sure I'm gonna let him go.

And that sucks.

Because stupid people are stupid.

Dude. He's vaxxed right? Let him play soccer and do his thing. We have to find a return to normalcy at some point. Normalcy has a certain amount of associated inherent risk. If he is a young healthy person that has been fully vaxxed the risks are exceedingly low. Travel, plane, etc. I get that reluctance...but when are we gonna return to normalcy.  The plate isn't getting any more set any time soon. 

We let all of our kids stay engaged with their outdoor sports, both pre and post vax. But there was no travel that required plane trips or travel with exposure to anyone outside the fmaily. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So, the Netherlands ICUs are full.  The are largely full of the 60+ range.  Basically, the people that got vaccinated first are now having waning immunity and are starting to have cases again.  They need to get boosters out ASAP.  They JUST started getting boosters to people 60+ this week.  What a shitshow.

Gigavax. Embrace it. It's the short term reality. 

This could easily happen here if a state tried to enforce another lockdown. COVID isn't going away and we have a vaccine. Can't say I blame these people for going crazy, even though that statement might paint me as an anti-masker or anti-vax (both of which I am not).
It paints you as a rational person in my mind. Fuck anything related to lockdowns.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Dude. He's vaxxed right? Let him play soccer and do his thing. We have to find a return to normalcy at some point. Normalcy has a certain amount of associated inherent risk. If he is a young healthy person that has been fully vaxxed the risks are exceedingly low. Travel, plane, etc. I get that reluctance...

Yes, he's vaxxed, and he'll get boosted next week.  It's the air travel that I'm not cool with.  Frankly, I'm thinking I might send him on his own, without me going, for reasons you stipulate.  (He's 17, I'm 58, big difference in risk there.  He can stay in a room by himself.)  Or, I'll make the drive, because frankly, I want to see these matches.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Yes, he's vaxxed, and he'll get boosted next week.  It's the air travel that I'm not cool with.  Frankly, I'm thinking I might send him on his own, without me going, for reasons you stipulate.  (He's 17, I'm 58, big difference in risk there.  He can stay in a room by himself.)  Or, I'll make the drive, because frankly, I want to see these matches.
That sounds reasonable to me. I think making him skip would be a mistake, but I don't tell others how to parent because I don't like people telling me how to parent.

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I get the air travel thing. I ain't quite there yet either. But push come to shove I'd be comfortable loading up with 3xmoderna in my arm. I would probably prefer to just pull off the drive. Would be tempted to layover in NOLA to shoot some dice. And totally getting wanting to watch the games. Best part of my weekends. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I get the air travel thing. I ain't quite there yet either. But push come to shove I'd be comfortable loading up with 3xmoderna in my arm. I would probably prefer to just pull off the drive. Would be tempted to layover in NOLA to shoot some dice. And totally getting wanting to watch the games. Best part of my weekends. 

Damn, y’all haven’t been on a plane since 2020?  

Wear a N95 mask in the plane and in the airport you’ll be fine.
  • Like 1

I fly just about once a week these days, all fairly short fights (Houston - New Orleans) & (Houston - McAllen).

It never fails, on the flight back from McAllen the plane is loaded with what I assume are asylum seeking families with young kids (90% of the plane are these families). The first couple trips every kid was coughing and sneezing, I was almost convinced to skip the flight and rent a car back to Houston.

Still negative for Covid (knocks on wood).

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I fly just about once a week these days, all fairly short fights (Houston - New Orleans) & (Houston - McAllen).

It never fails, on the flight back from McAllen the plane is loaded with what I assume are asylum seeking families with young kids (90% of the plane are these families). The first couple trips every kid was coughing and sneezing, I was almost convinced to skip the flight and rent a car back to Houston.

Still negative for Covid (knocks on wood).

its a easy drive 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

its a easy drive 

Ha! Having made that drive a few times, I'll risk the flight full of coughing kids.

Man, I'm the exact opposite.  5 hour drive VS early arrival, sit and wait, short flight, rental car stand, hotel?

Give me the 5 hour drive.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wow. Ive probably been on 8-9 flights at least. Have two international flights coming up next year too. 

To be fair, I probably flew 2-3 times a year at most.  And 3 would be a high end.  And for the last few years at least one of those flights would be to where I wound up moving.  Wife flew once last year for business.

16 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Damn, y’all haven’t been on a plane since 2020?  

I will say, that first flight back you realize what a pain in the ass air travel is. It's amazing you can get across the country in just a few hours. But EVERYTHING else is a beating. 

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I will say, that first flight back you realize what a pain in the ass air travel is. It's amazing you can get across the country in just a few hours. But EVERYTHING else is a beating. 

My first flight back was Swiss Business.  Second was Swiss first.  They were both lovely.  Lesson, don't fly with the poors.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Just in time for vacation I tested positive today.  Cold like symptoms started Friday night.  Then noticed last night the lack of smell/taste.  Thanksgiving now fucked, but in the long run grateful I'm vaxxed.

Glad you are ok.  My infection 9 months after both Pfizer shots was 2 days of fever and body aches followed by a week of lingering sinus crud and lethargy.  Overall pretty mild.  Hope that’s how it works out for you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Just in time for vacation I tested positive today.  Cold like symptoms started Friday night.  Then noticed last night the lack of smell/taste.  Thanksgiving now fucked, but in the long run grateful I'm vaxxed.

Youngest popped a fever last night 10 days post first dose, so guess who got to make a binax run to cvs this morning. Didn’t pop two lines fortunately.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1