CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Since last Friday. 

I hope you are getting better by the moment hoss. You’re one of the cool posters on here and I really hope that the side effects do not hit you really hard.

A friend of mine I grew up with got Covid a year ago or so. He lost his ability to taste anything for nine months. That inability to taste anything darn near killed him. He was drinking with his brother who came down from Dallas and thanks to not tasting any of the liquor he was drinking he got alcohol poisoning. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

One week now of no taste or smell.  Oh, diarrhea as well.  Have accidentally lost 6lbs so far.  Didn’t need to lose the weight.  
Very occasionally I can inhale through the nose sharply while positioned right above coffee grounds or peppermint oil and catch a faint, muted whiff.  Keep hoping that’s a sign the senses will return.

That's what it was like for me as well regarding olfactory stuff (never lost taste). And sure enough each day more and more of my ability to smell returned. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I mean closing down your country for 5 months seems pretty fascistic. I've learned hard borders seem like a bad idea. 

Dictionary.com on "fascism":

a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Hmmm... Nothing in there about instituting quarantine measures for public safety. What am I missing? By your standards, paying for a fire department with tax revenue would be fascist.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Dictionary.com on "fascism":

Hmmm... Nothing in there about instituting quarantine measures for public safety. What am I missing? By your standards, paying for a fire department with tax revenue would be fascist.

I mean you would be okay with stop and frisk since it's for public safety. 

• Hook 'Em 1

FFNbynaWYAIhpEd?format=jpg&name=900x900

omicron is from new zealand, england, brazil, france, india, indonesia, philippines and other places however  south african scientists isolated it 1st. 

Interesting post. I was gonna say South Africa doesn’t have 3 million cases and this is their second “variant of concern”…meanwhile the US has 50 million cases without any mutating into anything or concern? I think cali had one a year ago but that fizzled

This isn’t a political post but this paragraph I found interesting.

In Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, the government has recorded nearly 3,000 deaths so far among its 200 million people. The U.S. records that many deaths every two or three days.

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/scientists-mystified-concerned-as-africa-avoids-covid-disaster/6323236.html

I think it’s important to look at the big picture here and for people to try to understand what causes the virus to spread and why it has not in certain places. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It actually came to me one day when I was having lunch outside my office one day in a very shady area and looking at a tree behind the building. It was obviously a very old tree but was so bent out of shape that the almost all the branches were basically almost in the ground. I realized that the tree branches were that way only so it could still get sunlight caused by the building in front of it that would otherwise block it if it didn’t progress that way over the the years. That’s how important sunlight was to its survival over the years. 

On 11/26/2021 at 5:19 PM, Gatorubet said:

Omicron might clean out even more red state science self-researchers. The GOP will be fighting to lessen any measures to save lives if the new variant arrives.

Muh Freedumbs and all.

Is it wrong to hope for this outcome, quickly?  I'm tired of science "research" discussion at this point.  I'm ready for people to listen to qualified expertise again.

9 hours ago, brakeman said:

omicron is from new zealand, england, brazil, france, india, indonesia, philippines and other places however  south african scientists isolated it 1st. 

In Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, the government has recorded nearly 3,000 deaths so far among its 200 million people. The U.S. records that many deaths every two or three days.
https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/scientists-mystified-concerned-as-africa-avoids-covid-disaster/6323236.html
I think it’s important to look at the big picture here and for people to try to understand what causes the virus to spread and why it has not in certain places. 
Do you think they have enough tests to verify Covid in their patients? Do they have the medical infrastructure to deal with Covid?

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
12 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Do you think they have enough tests to verify Covid in their patients? Do they have the medical infrastructure to deal with Covid?

I’m quite sure it’s inferior to America but the numbers are so staggeringly different that medical infrastructure can’t be the reason. It’s something else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

My amateur hypothesis is that the virus does not spread as well in places that have abundant sunlight and lack of obese people. And that this is based on higher vitamin D levels among the population.

I bet a significant part can be explained by underreporting, a low obesity rate of 8.9% (compared to ours of 36.2%) and also their low life expectancy. In 2020 it was 55 years. Under 55 and not overweight and the mortality rates are much lower. 

But It doesn’t explain it all. India has an an older population at 70 year life expectancy, but an even lower obesity rate at 3.9% and they got rekt. 

• Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

I’m quite sure it’s inferior to America but the numbers are so staggeringly different that medical infrastructure can’t be the reason. It’s something else. 

I think it has a lot to do with lack of testing. Here's a visual chart showing how much countries are testing for Covid based on their population size. Poorer countries can't afford to spend much on the mass testing needed to identify most cases, especially when they need funds for vaccines or health care facilities and equipment. And then you have to consider what sort of medical infrastructure they would even have to rely on during surges, and how that would impact their ability to deal with large influxes of patients. It's likely much worse than is known. 

image.png.a94aa5d964f3d3f00a76a5c3abf71df9.png

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing

I bet a significant part can be explained by underreporting, a low obesity rate of 8.9% (compared to ours of 36.2%) and also their low life expectancy. In 2020 it was 55 years. Under 55 and not overweight and the mortality rates are much lower. 

But It doesn’t explain it all. India has an an older population at 70 year life expectancy, but an even lower obesity rate at 3.9% and they got rekt. 

Your post made me wonder: Worldometer says India is 136th out of all nations in cases per capita, and 128th in deaths per capita. The US is 20th in both. I guess when your population is 1.4B the sheer numbers are gonna be really bad, but I was surprised on the per capita stack rankings.

17 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

theyre not testing