CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

And you know this how? Do you have any idea what’s happening and what’s coming?

Can you name any prominent prosecutions under the Stock Act?

Spoiler

As of late 2018, there have been no prosecutions under the STOCK Act from the date it was signed into law on April 4, 2012.

Edited by washparkhorn

Burr is going to have to justify two angles that are pretty hard to reconcile  -- one, his public statements didn't jibe with his private statements, which were more dire.  Two,  he received daily information as a Senator regarding the health and economic projections due to a coronavirus pandemic, and he'd pretty much have to prove that ALL of that material information was already public.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Burr is going to have to justify two angles that are pretty hard to reconcile  -- one, his public statements didn't jibe with his private statements, which were more dire.  Two,  he received daily information as a Senator regarding the health and economic projections due to a coronavirus pandemic, and he'd pretty much have to prove that ALL of that material information was already public.

The tape kills him. But then again Washparkhorn hasn’t seen such a prosecution yet of a senator, so I guess we should just give up.

3 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Members of Congress are required to disclose securities transactions.  Burr's transactions for over a year are typical transactions of buying and selling.

On February 13, Burr made his largest selling day.  They were only sales.  He dumped pretty much everything. 

On February 7, Burr co-authored an op-ed that stated that the "United States is better prepared than ever before to face emerging public health threats, including the coronavirus.

And many of us were talking about the asset bubble in the stock market in late 2019-2020. I asked the other board if we were seeing flight to safety before this risk surfaced. 

The asset bubble has been tricky for a while now - without the Coronavirus. 

I am not defending what he and other Congress critters do to rake in millions. It should be illegal. And this fuckstick may have traded with that knowledge. But the defenses are quite easy. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Proving top secret briefings were public knowledge will be a tad tricky.

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

I am not defending what he and other Congress critters do to rake in millions. It should be illegal. And this fuckstick may have traded with that knowledge. But the defenses are quite easy. 

The defenses are only "easy" because the system is rigged.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The tape kills him. But then again Washparkhorn hasn’t seen such a prosecution yet of a senator, so I guess we should just give up.

No prosecutions under the Stock Act. NONE as of late 2018. 

The Powers that be don't write laws that might put them in jail. It is a flaw in the system. Or designed as planned. 

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

And many of us were talking about the asset bubble in the stock market in late 2019-2020. I asked the other board if we were seeing flight to safety before this risk surfaced. 

The asset bubble has been tricky for a while now - without the Coronavirus. 

Not when you are the chair of the senate intelligence committee receiving top secret briefings and caught on tape warning your rich donor friends that this is the Spanish flu that killed millions of Americans while telling the rest of the country everything is fine while dumping millions in stock to save millions.

You must be one hell of a lawyer to be able to defend that.

And for the record, I also don't believe he'll be prosecuted or even shamed, he's likely incapable of the latter.  He'll wrap his lips even tighter around the pulsating albino anus of Donald Trump and get reelected.  There's nothing the American people can do about it anymore other than just be thankful that Paul Revere wasn't so squeamish about sounding the alarm.

• Like 2

Oh, lookie here:

https://www.propublica.org/article/senator-dumped-up-to-1-6-million-of-stock-after-reassuring-public-about-coronavirus-preparedness?fbclid=IwAR1yN5jYCRJnuzs7x_e9n6g58mBMzlaFeYKYXNM8aVrwaYAN5WJ_mKpH1JQ

Members of Congress are required by law to disclose their securities transactions.

Burr was one of just three senators who in 2012 opposed the bill that explicitly barred lawmakers and their staff from using nonpublic information for trades and required regular disclosure of those trades. In opposing the bill, Burr argued at the time that insider trading laws already applied to members of Congress. President Barack Obama signed the bill, known as the STOCK Act, that year.

Stock transactions of lawmakers are reported in ranges. Burr’s Feb. 13 selling spree was his largest stock selling day of at least the past 14 months, according to a ProPublica review of Senate records. Unlike his typical disclosure reports, which are a mix of sales and purchases, all of the transactions were sales.

His biggest sales included companies that are among the most vulnerable to an economic slowdown. He dumped up to $150,000 worth of shares of Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, a chain based in the United States that has lost two-thirds of its value. And he sold up to $100,000 of shares of Extended Stay America, an economy hospitality chain. Shares of that company are now worth less than half of what they did at the time Burr sold.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

LOL at the notion that anybody is going to prosecute a senator over this.  Burr knows where far too many skeletons are buried. 

LOL at being a sheep. Maybe next time he’ll improperly procure a FISA warrant and you can then give a shit.

• Like 4

LOL at being a sheep. Maybe next time he’ll improperly procure a FISA warrant and you can then give a shit.

Oh I give a shit. I also occupy a reality space that you don't care to operate in. He won't be prosecuted over a stock sale when he can roll up under cover of publicly available information.  But please, huff more glue jimmy and continue acting like you don't know how the system works. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Oh I give a shit. I also occupy a reality space that you don't care to operate in. He won't be prosecuted over a stock sale when he can roll up under cover of publicly available information.  But please, huff more glue jimmy and continue acting like you don't know how the system works. 

The senate intelligence committee is by definition given information that is not public knowledge and I know how the system works. A system which you apparently acquiesce to. The system is about to change. 

Just now, High Plains Drifter said:

Personally, I'd prefer the spectacle of mass guillotines, but that's just me.

And I'm not kidding in the least.

God, I love the idea of guillotines.  The spurting blood; the thump of the head in the basket; the look on the face as the head is held up for the crowd.  Now that's a spectacle!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The senate intelligence committee is by definition given information that is not public knowledge and I know how the system works. A system which you apparently acquiesce to. The system is about to change. 

Oh good.  The poster who started paying attention in 2016 gonna tell me about how the system is about to change.  I hope that you are right.  Deep down you know you are not.  Burr is not going to be prosecuted based on the STOCK act.

Needs to have a more sporting atmosphere imo. Convert the NFL stadiums to lion pits.  Throw the politicians in there and let them scrap among themselves.  Then let the beasts finish them off. 

With pool cues. Someone else can post the GIF.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Oh good.  The poster who started paying attention in 2016 gonna tell me about how the system is about to change.  I hope that you are right.  Deep down you know you are not.  Burr is not going to be prosecuted based on the STOCK act.

You hope he will be prosecuted but state as a fact that he will not.

Sheep.

20 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

These motherfuckers never ever attempt to explain themselves so he must be getting some heat from somewhere.

He’s trending in the news.

Just read his lame twitter excuses. He needs to be arrested, tarred and feathered, then prosecuted for murder. He killed many people.

35 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You have an amazing ability to never post about things you claim you give a shit about.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I couldn't remember the exact dates, so I just checked my brokerage accounts, and I started buying a variety of puts on individual stocks as well as the S&P on 1/30 and continued through the 2nd week of Feb . I didn't do it because I was concerned about Coronavirus in the US. I did it because China was shutting down manufacturing and quarantining millions and the markets in the US were at all time highs. There was a huge disconnect and  I was strongly convinced our supply chains would be fucked and the markets would be correcting soon (admittedly not to the extent they eventually did). I didn't need senate intelligence committee briefings to see what was coming. 

Now, the fact that Burr also had access to non-public intelligence  regarding the Coronavirus is where things get cloudy, because I'm not sure how that legally impacts his argument. But to Anastasis' point, there was plenty of publicly available information to suspect the markets were going to go down, and you can bet that will be his defense. Whether that is a legally sound defense, I have no idea as its been years since I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. 

You have an amazing ability to never post about things you claim you give a shit about.

Anastasis, why you here never posting about the things you post about?

Fuck off jimmy and go trade dog kisses with Fondren. 

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

I couldn't remember the exact dates, so I just checked my brokerage accounts, and I started buying a variety of puts on individual stocks as well as the S&P on 1/30 and continued through the 2nd week of Feb . I didn't do it because I was concerned about Coronavirus in the US. I did it because China was shutting down manufacturing and quarantining millions and the markets in the US were at all time highs. There was a huge disconnect and  I was strongly convinced our supply chains would be fucked and the markets would be correcting soon (admittedly not to the extent they eventually did). I didn't need senate intelligence committee briefings to see what was coming. 

Now, the fact that Burr also had access to non-public intelligence  regarding the Coronavirus is where things get cloudy, because I'm not sure how that legally impacts his argument. But to Anastasis' point, there was plenty of publicly available information to suspect the markets were going to go down, and you can bet that will be his defense. Whether that is a legally sound defense, I have no idea as its been years since I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. 

Agree.  The writing was on the wall.  On the whoa thread I literally posted "what SPY puts you guys buying" as I was loading up the week before the crash.  Other posters were talking about VXX etc. The is plenty of publicly available cover that Burr will rely on.  We know that his actions were extremely likely to have been influenced by his intel briefings.  But he is never going to see prosecution over this unless somebody has a clean paper trail to link the two.  

Ana and me,

December 29, 2019,

Predicting all the markets

Some senators be listening.

On 12/27/2019 at 8:34 PM, washparkhorn said:

Does anyone believe there is not an asset bubble presently?

The question is how to slowly deflate it or grow the economy to catch up. No?

On 12/27/2019 at 8:39 PM, Anastasis said:

Of course there is a bubble.  The only real question is how much money can I lose watching SPY puts expire until reality catches up. 

322 down to 240 on SPY. 

Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Checked the last several pages and didn't see this. SIAP

Newsome's estimate of 25.5 million Californians infected over an 8 week period is bone chilling, brah.

Trump: Who?  From where?  California?  OK, I'll get right on that.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk