CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Checked the last several pages and didn't see this. SIAP

Newsome's estimate of 25.5 million Californians infected over an 8 week period is bone chilling, brah.

My opinion only - Newsom has stepped up to the plate. He is a centrist who is putting forward thinking and, dare say, progressive solutions. From my corner of the state, he has Californians moving in the right direction to beat this bastard back to hell. People want it over sooner than later out here. We do not have enough ventilators - so we are buying them. We do not have enough hospital beds - so we are un-shuttering closed hospitals. We are securing rooms for the homeless. We are gathering a network of helpers to go and aid citizens most at risk.

California has the benefit of a budget surplus and people-oriented citizens - including the Reagan Repubs.  Even the celeb culture is understanding they need to calm their shit down. 

It helps to be the 5th biggest economy in the world. The infrastructure here (even though they bitch about it) is awesome unlike the rest of the US (outside of DC). The fantastic state and business relations with Asia helps tremendously with the supply problems. 

People gathering around the message that we need to work together has motivated even the most recalcitrant of us - whatever the political stripe.

1 or 2% of 25 million people is a lot of death, but the alternative is horrific. 

Everyone has a role to play in this fight. If your governor - whichever the state - isn't all hands on deck, do it a local level or at a neighborhood level. A struggle is coming. But we will persevere. Never give up the fight. 

• Like 6

garcetti opts not to go full "shelter in place" but instead institutes "safer at home" version.

https://ktla.com/news/coronavirus/l-a-mayor-garcetti-expected-to-update-public-health-orders-in-response-to-covid-19/

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and other city and county officials announced the “safer at home” public order in response to COVID-19, requiring people to stay at home and most businesses to close.

The order will go into effect in L.A. County at midnight Thursday.

Mayor Garcetti said that “today is a day that will be seared into the story and the streets” of the city and will be a “moment when everything changed.”

All businesses that require workers to be present must stop operations by 11:59 p.m. Friday, Garcetti said. Businesses that provide “essential services” are exempt.

The only time people should leave their home is for essential activities like getting food or taking care of a loved one, according to the mayor.

“This is not a shelter-in-place. It’s a ‘stay at home’,” Garcetti said.

He emphasized that this is a health emergency and nobody is on lockdown.

“We know that social distancing does not mean restriction from going outside and does not mean isolation,” Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger said at the afternoon press conference.

She said people should refrain from gathering in a closed space with more than 10 people.

Barger said they did not know how long the order will be in place but said that it will be temporary.

The briefing came after Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday that half of Californians could get infected with coronavirus over the next eight weeks. The governor asked Congress for $1 billion to support the state’s medical response against the virus.

A second person died in L.A. County Thursday, and an additional 40 cases were reported in the county, bringing the total to 230 patients.

Throughout the state, there are 958 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 19 deaths.

The latest figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as of noon Thursday show that there are 10,442 diagnosed cases in the U.S., with 150 deaths.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Noteworthy:

That first transaction was a sale of stock in the company Resideo Technologies worth between $50,001 and $100,000. The company’s stock price has fallen by more than half since then, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average overall has shed approximately 10,000 points, dropping about a third of its value.

It was the first of 29 stock transactions that Loeffler and her husband made through mid-February, all but two of which were sales. One of Loeffler’s two purchases was stock worth between $100,000 and $250,000 in Citrix, a technology company that offers teleworking software and which has seen a small bump in its stock price since Loeffler bought in as a result of coronavirus-induced market turmoil.

The full scope of Loeffler’s portfolio and its particular holdings is not yet known. Senators are required to regularly disclose that information, but in January she requested an extension from Senate ethics officials. A full accounting of her finances will not be public until May.

When Loeffler assumed office she immediately became the wealthiest member of Congress. The Atlanta businesswoman, whose husband is the chairman and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange, is worth an estimated $500 million.

From the beginning of her tenure, she has faced scrutiny over potential conflicts of interest. Her position on a Senate subcommittee that oversees futures markets “gives Kelly Loeffler a direct position in overseeing her and her husband’s financial enterprises,” Craig Holman, lobbyist for the ethics group Public Citizen, told the Atlanta Journal Constitution in February. “I find it utterly irresponsible the Senate would choose to put Loeffler on that committee, given her conflicts of interest.” 

From March 10:

11 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Is the tree of liberty even still around? Pretty sure some dude poisoned that thing to impress an ex-girlfriend or something. 

harvey-updyke.jpg?w=584

• Like 3

A friend of mine has a Trumpkin wife. He's awesome. She's the most insecure, self-absorbed type you'll ever meet.

On Tuesday she texted me saying she was "kinda glad all of this was happening" because she was booked for a full week of business  travel in DFW next week & she didn't want to be away from home (Austin).

Yesterday afternoon her company (hard money lender) halted all operations. Oops.

I love my buddy, but that's karma going medieval on his wife's ass.

Looks like Burr has a way out of this if he wants to use it.  From 2016:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/article90756562.html

U.S. Sen. Richard Burr won’t run for another term – or for any elected office – after this year’s election, he told North Carolina Republican convention delegates Wednesday.

Burr, the state’s senior Republican senator, is seeking his third term in this year’s election, facing a challenge from former state Rep. Deborah Ross, a Democrat. If he wins in November, he said he’ll serve the six-year term and then retire from politics in 2022.

Burr’s comments surprised many Republicans and political observers. “This is really odd to have somebody who is running for re-election announce an intent to retire after they’re hopefully re-elected,” said Michael Bitzer, a political science professor at Catawba College in Salisbury. “The likelihood is this could be used by Deborah Ross as a campaign tool to say ‘give Burr an early retirement.’”

57 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Noteworthy:

From March 10:

So, we've established she's a grifter and a con and probably guilty.

What I'd like to talk about is her face.  Jesus she's ugly.  Give her a haircut and she could be a spaghetti western villain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Agree.  The writing was on the wall.  On the whoa thread I literally posted "what SPY puts you guys buying" as I was loading up the week before the crash.  Other posters were talking about VXX etc. The is plenty of publicly available cover that Burr will rely on.  We know that his actions were extremely likely to have been influenced by his intel briefings.  But he is never going to see prosecution over this unless somebody has a clean paper trail to link the two.  

Its only taken an hour or so for this post not to age well.

Stop defending corrupt senators asshole. Go back to focusing on your bullshit FISA warrant quest. Or, Maybe you should join the good side for once?

8 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hey, Senator #4, Wisconsin's own Ron Johnson:

I'd say Burr, Loeffler and Inhofe are all cooked politically - making multiple sales all starting around 1/27 looks extra shitty.  Johnson just sold one position at the start of March, so he might be able to explain it away, even though it's a huge amount.

Edited by Gap03

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Bullshit. Anastasia and the entire American public were privy to this senate intelligence briefing and traded and could have tanked the entire market the very next day. You just chose not to.

It was all publicly available and known! They knew you should be sitting on your ass at home while the economy tanked almost two months ago. Just like you did!

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

I couldn't remember the exact dates, so I just checked my brokerage accounts, and I started buying a variety of puts on individual stocks as well as the S&P on 1/30 and continued through the 2nd week of Feb . I didn't do it because I was concerned about Coronavirus in the US. I did it because China was shutting down manufacturing and quarantining millions and the markets in the US were at all time highs. There was a huge disconnect and  I was strongly convinced our supply chains would be fucked and the markets would be correcting soon (admittedly not to the extent they eventually did). I didn't need senate intelligence committee briefings to see what was coming. 

Now, the fact that Burr also had access to non-public intelligence  regarding the Coronavirus is where things get cloudy, because I'm not sure how that legally impacts his argument. But to Anastasis' point, there was plenty of publicly available information to suspect the markets were going to go down, and you can bet that will be his defense. Whether that is a legally sound defense, I have no idea as its been years since I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. 

Burr and the others didn’t suspect the market would tank. THEY FUCKING KNEW IT. They didn’t just save their own financial asses. They KILLED PEOPLE to do it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Its only taken an hour or so for this post not to age well.

Stop defending corrupt senators asshole. Go back to focusing on your bullshit FISA warrant quest. Or, Maybe you should join the good side for once?

For the record, I am on the put a bullet in his head side. And said so up thread. Unlike you, I know the reality is that he will not suffer any punishment. I will be overjoyed if I am wrong. Only in the hollows of your brain case does that equal defending corrupt senators. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

For the record, I am on the put a bullet in his head side. And said so up thread. Unlike you, I know the reality is that he will not suffer any punishment. Only in the hollows of your brain case does that equal defending corrupt senators. 

I read what you have recently posted on this thread. Its just a bunch of bullshit about how you think they will never be prosecuted.

I don’t want a bullet to his head and neither do you. I want all of them prosecuted and given the maximum punishment allowed under the law. Since I believe they are guilty of murder, the law says that punishment is death. So be it.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I read what you have recently posted on this thread. Its just a bunch of bullshit about how you think they will never be prosecuted.

If you have read the posts on this thread, you will also concede that it is a majority opinion on the matter among those that have registered a stance.  

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

If the Democrats hold the House and maybe take over the Senate (or if McGrath beats McConnell), then yes.  I have a feeling there are big changes coming to limit presidential power if the Democrats have the chance. 

• Like 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

If you have read the posts on this thread, you will also concede that it is a majority opinion on the matter among those that have registered a stance.  

Yes that may be the majority opinion. And in the past I would agree that opinion would be likely correct. This in my opinion is different. We are facing a potential depression and potentially millions killed because some senators wanted to make a buck. Burr is on tape sayin this could be like the Spanish flu of 1918, which killed millions of Americans.

Things have changed my friend. 

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk