CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

IncomeDistribution.jpg
Well 99% of us anyway.

IMO, these charts are misleadingly optimistic. Although there have been modest increases in income (often obtained through an increase in dual outcome households), that increase hasn’t kept pace with the rapid increase in the cost of living. This is why most Americans today have less than a $1,000 in savings...and that’s following a decade long bull market lol. 

It's more than a little misleading to stop the chart at 2007. Think something might have happened to those lines at the bottom after that?
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It's more than a little misleading to stop the chart at 2007. Think something might have happened to those lines at the bottom after that?

If you're suggesting that wages for the bottom 59% of earners have increased significantly from 2007... I got bad news for ya

• Like 1

Cross posting. More of this from Pharma please.

Teva to Donate Potential COVID-19 Treatment, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate Tablets to Hospitals Nationwide

Teva will donate 6 Million tablets through wholesalers to hospitals by March 31, and more than 10 Million within a month

TEL AVIV, Israel & PARSIPPANY, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) announced today the immediate donation of more than 6 million doses of hydroxychloroquine sulfate tablets through wholesalers to hospitals across the U.S. to meet the urgent demand for the medicine as an investigational target to treat COVID-19. The company is also looking at additional ways to address the global need.

https://www.tevausa.com/news-and-media/press-releases/teva-to-donate-potential-covid-19-treatment-hydroxychloroquine-sulfate-tablets-to-hospitals-nationwide-/ 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Feb 28 is also the date Eric sent out his "In my opinion, it's a great time to buy stocks or into your 401K..." tweet, just 4 days after the Senators-only meeting with administration officials.

csb, Feb 28 is also the date I moved 50% of my 401k to money market.  Hope I don't wind up in jail over it but odds are probably higher I go to prison than any of these dickwads.

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

HEB rocks. When it's open of course. 

Every company with increased revenues nee

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

Man white people must really adore this mfer.

This means:

1) most people aren't hurting directly yet

2) most aren't paying attention.

When we have 20% unemployment and hundrrdds of thousands dying, he'll get the blame he deserves.

Otherwise, the virus should just take us all. We're far too dumb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, horncyclist said:

Every company with increased revenues nee

This means:

1) most people aren't hurting directly yet

2) most aren't paying attention.

When we have 20% unemployment and hundrrdds of thousands dying, he'll get the blame he deserves.

Otherwise, the virus should just take us all. We're far too dumb.

Or once he cuts the checks his numbers will go higher. I don't believe the people aren't paying attention excuse. Everyone is at home watching the news bruh.

9 hours ago, Pasken said:

Do you think some part of Trump actually takes pleasure in NY suffering bc of all the lawsuits against him? And he lost the NY vote?

Yes, but not precisely for those reasons.

A huge part of Trump's pathology is that he was the scion, nay spawn, of an outer borough slumlord.  After he inherited, and arrived with his crowning achievement, Trump Tower, he became increasingly miffed that he was not accepted into NYC society. For a number of years, his every move was calculated to gain him acceptance into that society.  It never really happened,

That explains a lot of his pettiness.

• Like 1

No doubt he'll be bragging about these poll numbers at today's press briefing. He'll be totally confident so who knows what craziness we'll hear. Probably that he's going to donate his blood to be replicated as a cure since he's super human. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Good lord.  We're truly doomed.  If not by this, by the next thing that hits w/ Trump as potus in the next 5 years. 

I do believe it, because people in a time of crisis will latch on to anything that appears stable.  When the Titanic is sinking, that piece of flotsam that might keep your head above water is going to have a very high approval rating.

But when faced with the floating debris or the Carpathia, people are going to get on the damned ship.

• Like 2

Where the fuck have literally all of the Democrats gone this week? Where’s Nancy? Where’s Chuck? Where’s Biden? You fuckers need to be on tv every goddamn day demanding tests and attacking the administration’s horrible bungling of this shit, and instead you’re fucking tweeting about why we need to means test any financial relief. For fuck’s sake, a five year old would be better at political strategy than the Democrats.

• Like 7

My God the barbarity of our healthcare system.

When Danni Askini started feeling chest pain, shortness of breath and a migraine all at once on a Saturday in late February, she called the oncologist who had been treating her lymphoma. Her doctor thought she might be reacting poorly to a new medication, so she sent Askini to a Boston-area emergency room. There, doctors told her it was likely pneumonia and sent her home.

Over the next several days, Askini saw her temperature spike and drop dangerously, and she developed a cough that gurgled because of all the liquid in her lungs. After two more trips to the ER that week, Askini was given a final test on the seventh day of her illness, and once doctors helped manage her flu and pneumonia symptoms, they again sent her home to recover. She waited another three days for a lab to process her test, and at last she had a diagnosis: COVID-19.

A few days later, Askini got the bills for her testing and treatment: $34,927.43. “I was pretty sticker-shocked,” she says. “I personally don’t know anybody who has that kind of money.”

https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, horncyclist said:

If there is to be any silver lining in this it will be that it forces a national moral reckoning and the political backlash puts Democrats in a position to get some of that big structural change to address all the greed and fucked up incentives that made us so vulnerable to this. 

I'd be more bullish about this if we weren't relying on Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck Schumer to make this happen.  No FDR in that bunch.  Hell, not even an LBJ.  

I mean, look at this horseshit lmao.

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

I want to post about how this crisis is exposing some awful human beings that deserve a lot more than financial ruin, but the truth is they were exposed a long time ago.

I keep getting reminded of the best observation I’ve seen on these boards:  that the single unifying characteristic of members of the modern conservative movement is a void of empathy.  That void is liberating.  It grants a freedom that allows Burr and Loeffler to exploit a pandemic for personal enrichment.  It grants Trump the freedom to flip from being Calvin Coolidge to FDR within a week.  It grants intelligent people within his base the freedom to accept his tax breaks while overlooking all of the vile baggage it comes with.

In short, show me someone who favors the President and I will show you a piece of shit that would cut the rope on the rest of America at the slightest hint of hardship.  Whatever action is coming from the right now to protect our citizens is not being driven by a sense of compassion or moral responsibility.  It’s being driven by the knowledge that they can’t prevail when they have killed a million or more Americans through gross mismanagement.

That this is an improvement from a week ago when our conservative government was attempting to dupe us all into somehow not realizing our older family members were going to be dying off in droves is more damning than it is reassuring.

Get me a fucking revolution, STAT!!

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

csb, Feb 28 is also the date I moved 50% of my 401k to money market.  Hope I don't wind up in jail over it but odds are probably higher I go to prison than any of these dickwads.

The difference of course is you're not an elected public official selling the public a narrative that runs counter to what you're telling donors. It illustrates duplicity regarding a public health crisis.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Where the fuck have literally all of the Democrats gone this week? Where’s Nancy? Where’s Chuck? Where’s Biden? You fuckers need to be on tv every goddamn day demanding tests and attacking the administration’s horrible bungling of this shit, and instead you’re fucking tweeting about why we need to means test any financial relief. For fuck’s sake, a five year old would be better at political strategy than the Democrats.

They're passing legislation. They passed a bill that Mitch McConnell decided to "gag" on and pass despite his rigid policy of presenting an ideological barrier to every fucking thing the Democrats have tried to do for the last twelve years. 

They should be doing everything they can to find a solution right now. Rain campaign ads documenting the incompetence of the administration in the face of a national crisis in the fall. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I want to post about how this crisis is exposing some awful human beings that deserve a lot more than financial ruin, but the truth is they were exposed a long time ago.

I keep getting reminded of the best observation I’ve seen on these boards:  that the single unifying characteristic of members of the modern conservative movement is a void of empathy.  That void is liberating.  It grants a freedom that allows Burr and Loeffler to exploit a pandemic for personal enrichment.  It grants Trump the freedom to flip from being Calvin Coolidge to FDR within a week.  It grants intelligent people within his base the freedom to accept his tax breaks while overlooking all of the vile baggage it comes with.

In short, show me someone who favors the President and I will show you a piece of shit that would cut the rope on the rest of America at the slightest hint of hardship.  Whatever action is coming from the right now to protect our citizens is not being driven by a sense of compassion or moral responsibility.  It’s being driven by the knowledge that they can’t prevail when they have killed a million or more Americans through gross mismanagement.

That this is an improvement from a week ago when our conservative government was attempting to dupe us all into somehow not realizing our older family members were going to be dying off in droves is more damning than it is reassuring.

Get me a fucking revolution, STAT!!

case in point...Stephen Moore, former Trump nominee to the Fed Reserve, last night on Ingraham's show...

If this goes on, where we have people locked down, they can’t go to work for more than three weeks, you’re talking about economic damage that would be in the trillions of dollars and we have to ask this question: Is it worth trillions of dollars of losses? Think of the human suffering, from the, in terms of the lost income, the lost life savings. Is that worth it, to deal with this? It’s a question worth asking, because I’m starting to think maybe we should get people to work as fast as we can.

https://www.mediamatters.org/stephen-moore/fox-news-stephen-moore-questions-if-californias-steps-prevent-spread-coronavirus-are

• Like 2

It's peak Democrat. They're going to find a way to hand Trump reelection.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They're passing legislation. They passed a bill that Mitch McConnell decided to "gag" on and pass despite his rigid policy of presenting an ideological barrier to every fucking thing the Democrats have tried to do for the last twelve years. 

They should be doing everything they can to find a solution right now. Rain campaign ads documenting the incompetence of the administration in the face of a national crisis in the fall. 

Yes - they are - but thats not enough.  Everyone of those assholes needs to be on TV and in ads asking where are the tests?  Where is the equipment?  What is this administration doing?

And then they need to publicize that they are going to do a hell of a lot more for the american public than a $1000 dollars for the middle class and bailouts for corporations.  That proposal document was posted very briefly - but I haven't heard anything else about it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

case in point...Stephen Moore, former Trump nominee to the Fed Reserve, last night on Ingraham's show...

https://www.mediamatters.org/stephen-moore/fox-news-stephen-moore-questions-if-californias-steps-prevent-spread-coronavirus-are

While on one hand, I think they are utterly loathsome.....his point isn't entirely wrong.

We have a godawful balancing proposition to weigh in the coming weeks and months.  There's some Sophie's Choice shit facing us at some point.

My hope is that our best shot for a fast "solution" -- finding therapies that work, and keep people from dying and filling up hospitals, with enough manufacturing capacity to distribute them widely -- happens over the summer.  If that does, then maybe we're going to end up in a situation where the death toll is only 3X-4X that we'd see with the flu.

No good choices left.  But choices will have to be made.

35 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It's peak Democrat. They're going to find a way to hand Trump reelection.

the agent, shocked at what he'd just heard from the comedian, asked what it was called.  the comedian, with a proud flourish, responded, "The Democrats!"

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Yeah Laura, we all want an expiration date.  But nature and math doesn't work that way, bitch.

Well since you call it the China-Virus, Laura...why not just ask China.  They are good at maths.

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

Ads with dotard's "I don't take any responsibility" should be running 24/7.  It should put Dubya's "You're doing a great job, Brownie" to shame.

first it should be one of him saying it's no big deal, then the presser from killing the pandemic office, then him not taking responsibility.  i'll bet ad buys are cratering right now, bloomberg's money will go further

2 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Man white people must really adore this mfer.

This board is an echo chamber.  As is twitter.  Trump is doing a good job with this.  And the polls reflect it.  Go ahead and neg me and continue on with the lib circle jerk, citizens of the bizarro Texags Politics board. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 11

10 hours ago, LABEVO said:

Did the Lord come unto Tucker? Or has he finally reached a line, massive death/murder, that even his few molecules of decency and integrity can't cross?

I use the word murder because the Burr story leads me to believe there was a second motive for Trump to downplay the coming plague. Aside from his concern about his personal ratings, there was money to be moved around to make a profit. 

I wonder how the Russian Oligarch stock positions changed in January and February while the Dotard acted the lackey buffoon. 

We'll argue about calling it a Chinese virus while the people with 90% of the money grab for the rest of it. 

Before placement in the rough iron cage, infect these fucks with the virus to make their voyage even more unpleasant. If they don't make it to the final dumping waters, oh well. 

Nothing bad enough can befall these people. I award them the same level of empathy that they spare for others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

They are letting Trump hang himself, if they come out attacking him he'll claim they are using this crisis as a political opportunity and how dare they. The American people will be dumb enough to fall for it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Ads with dotard's "I don't take any responsibility" should be running 24/7.  It should put Dubya's "You're doing a great job, Brownie" to shame.

No.  Keep your powder dry.  Run ads like that now, and you fall victim to the gaslighting bullshit that “Democrats are only using this to hurt poor Trump!”

Save it until we’ve come out of this and the damage is undeniable. Then blast out ads showing Trump’s incompetence and contrasting that with the real work Dems did to protect Americans. But in order to have such ads, Dems need to be doing that real work now. 

• Like 5

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk