CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

12 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I guess that just re-raises my question.

The levees failed on August 29.  The emergency response continued for the next week.  On September 13, MSY reopened to passenger service.

This article talks about the drop in Bush's approval rating in mid-September, but that was after the crisis was over and the scope of the failure was known.  My question is whether people disapproved of Bush's handling of the crisis while the crisis was ongoing--i.e. from August 28 to September 5 (or thereabouts).

The Gallup poll reflects that Katrina didn't immediately adversely affect Bush's overall approval rating.  It wasn't until much later--after "you're doing a heckuvajob, Brownie" became a recognized shorthand for incompetence--that Bush's approval rating started to tank.

So my suspicion, based on that experience--though I'm still trying to confirm that that is the experience--is that nobody should worry/celebrate much about Trump's current poll numbers.  This crisis is going to be evaluated in retrospect before the election.  And the Democrats are going to have plenty of time to help frame that perception.

And then there's this:

https://www.timesleader.com/news/777744/gerritys-woman-coughed-all-over-store-tainting-35k-worth-of-food

Township police said criminal charges will be filed against a woman who they say “intentionally contaminated produce/meat/merchandise for sale” at Gerrity’s Supermarket on Sans Souci Parkway on Wednesday.

“The suspect has been identified and is being evaluated at a local hospital for a mental health evaluation. Criminal charges will be filed,” police posted on their Facebook page.

Police were assisted by the township health officer, state Department of Agriculture, Luzerne County District Attorney’s Office and the state police. According to Gerrity’s Supermarkets co-owner Joe Fasula, one woman’s attempt at a prank will cost the store over $35,000 worth of produce.

Wednesday, Fasula says that a woman well known in the Hanover Township area as a “chronic problem in the community” entered the store around 2:20 p.m. and proceeded to cough all over the produce section, as well as parts of the bakery, meat case and grocery.

The woman was removed from the store as quickly as possible by Gerrity’s employees, and Fasula says that he’s been in contact with the District Attorney’s Office, who will be “aggressively pursuing numerous charges” against the woman.

“We had no choice but to throw out all product she came in contact with,” Fasula said. “Working closely with the Hanover Township health inspector, we identified every area that she was in, we disposed of the product and thoroughly cleaned and disinfected everything.”

Fasula estimates that over $35,000 worth of goods will have to be thrown away. He added that he is “sick to his stomach” over the loss of the food.

“While it is always a shame when food is wasted, in these times when so many people are worried about the security of our food supply, it is even more disturbing,” Fasula said.

The woman involved is not believed to be infected with COVID-19, but Fasula says that they “will make every effort to make sure that she is tested.”

It's a perfect storm of unpreparedness (mentally and materially), incompetence and lack of leadership at the top to recognize and act as a nation, and sheer size of our population.
On a positive note in that thread:

Come on, i was told we had the best health care, no lines or waiting, a stable genius in office, and the best people working on it.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, zork said:

Seems like the system is untenable given what we must do to stay 6' apart, or maybe it is just the leadership in NYC or NY, unless you are going to blame it on Trump for the spreading of the disease.  Because lack of ventilators is not a reason for why it is spreading worse in NYC.  Or why can't NYC keep it under control like the other metro areas in Japan for instance?

I've been buying from the neighborhood Asian donut shop,the Asian owned ice cream shop, about double the norm.(supporting and keeping the kids sugared up as we started the new life at always at home)

The virus doesn't care what race you are on the subway.

Did I say I was blaming the spread on trump? It’s two different things to blame the spread on someone as opposed to blaming them for not taking any reasonable precautionary measures (and I didn’t mention either before). Way to inject bullshit like your stupid prior post. You’re talking out your ass about things you literally know nothing about. You type like a real moron. You know nothing about nyc and the city is better off the more it stays that way.  As for why nyc is getting hard and not japan, not sure. I’d wager that’s more of a country and culture thing in USA v Japan.  Or it could be the Japanese national government acted while while everyone from cuomo up had their thumb up their ass. But honestly don’t know.  You seem to have a theory, spill it.

you also upvoted a post with tweets from early feb As a ... sign that nyc deserved the virus bc it embraced Chinese New Year? Not sure. Maybe City wide social distancing could have helped then but seems like a number of other nationwide measures would have been more prudent at that time. 

19 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Lol. Asshats.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On the other hand... My car developed an electrical fault and drains it's battery overnight, so I'm glad I get take it to a shop to have a functioning vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they should be open, but I'm glad I can get my car fixed. 

Wayyyyy too many businesses claiming essential business status, it's not helping to flatten the curve

400 million won't buy you 5 F-35s.
Pretty cheap imo to help out the states to get the election done in the middle of a goddamn disaster. 
Shit, we wasted that much on any given Tuesday in Iraq.

It is not a waste when it is war/republicans

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

On the other hand... My car developed an electrical fault and drains it's battery overnight, so I'm glad I get take it to a shop to have a functioning vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they should be open, but I'm glad I can get my car fixed. 

Wayyyyy too many businesses claiming essential business status, it's not helping to flatten the curve

Retail car dealerships should be closing, period. Full stop. 

Service bays and car repair shops should remain open, and the enterprising ones will figure out how to make this a mobile service for most car problems. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Sans Souci...oh, the irony.

9 minutes ago, achooloco said:

You seem to have a theory, spill it. 

He has a long-running beef against mass transit and seems personally invested in promoting suburban-style development. If he hadn't said he lived in DFW, I would've guessed he was Gerald Daugherty.

10 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

400 million won't buy you 5 F-35s.

Pretty cheap imo to help out the states to get the election done in the middle of a goddamn disaster. 

Shit, we wasted that much on any given Tuesday in Iraq.

As of last year, we'd already spent over a quarter of that on Trump playing golf.  And he was playing golf even just 3 weeks ago, the same time he was still calling covid a hoax.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

The annoying part of all of this will be when we have to do a special rural health bailout package for all the Red States that didn’t expand Medicaid and will see their state budgets collapse under the weight of trying to prop up a broken system.  I’m figuring that will be by late summer,  right as the blue coastal states are emerging from quarantine and are ready to go back to work.  “Elites leave behind Real Americans!”

Texas is in that pack, thanks to good ol GoodHair.  Way I figure it is those who voted Red in the latest two primaries, they just don't get included in emergency funding.  Their vote said they didn't want it when they continued to stay the Republican path.  I would go back even further in their voting history, but if they couldn't see the evil trump was dealing by 2018, there's little hope they see it now.  

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

We’re number 1!

Yep, it's all about numbers for this guy.  Polls, stock market, billionaire.  It is his one constant.  I wonder what he'll tweet when we break 25,000 deaths from this.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Retail car dealerships should be closing, period. Full stop. 

Service bays and car repair shops should remain open, and the enterprising ones will figure out how to make this a mobile service for most car problems. 

Yes.  The ability to sell and deliver new vehicles is still needed but they don't need a full staff to accomplish it.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes.  The ability to sell and deliver new vehicles is still needed but they don't need a full staff to accomplish it.

You know what would be really fucking useful right now? Some state and federal regulations on who gets bailed out being made public. If your actions (or inaction) as a business owner are at odds with public safety, you should be held accountable. Instead, we are going to allow Dan fucking Covert to put his employee's lives in danger, and in turn the general populace, then we'll cut him a big ass check for the inconvenience. Then, back to business as usual.

And, frankly, that's not the free market at work. That's corporate welfare at it's worst. Your point is right on, they don't need a full staff. They need, at minimum, the brain power of message board user Nice Guy Eddie to adapt and attempt to survive. But fuck it, we'll be bailed out anyway, right? 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yep.  Got an email from Lamb's saying they are doing exactly that.  They will come pick up your car and return it when it's fixed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hopefully this will kill the dealership model for ever and allow us to buy cars like every other product in society

• Like 6

In addition to the Mississippi governor restricting local communities from creating certain safety measures related to COVID, I noticed that Mississippi either didn't report or reported 0 new cases yesterday after a 100+ total on Wednesday. Now perhaps they didn't have any new cases on Wednesday but that would have made them the only state or territory to achieve that number.

Or then again perhaps state-wide prayer works.

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Then who do you layoff?  Voluntary at first... but then what decides who gets to stick around and make sales commission? 

30 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep.  Got an email from Lamb's saying they are doing exactly that.  They will come pick up your car and return it when it's fixed.

Saw an ad this morning from a place that a added that they'd sanitize your car. I don't know how much effort they put into that nor how much it matters if the person who returns your car is a carrier. But it sounds nice. 

10 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Hopefully this will kill the dealership model for ever and allow us to buy cars like every other product in society

Speaking of:

https://jalopnik.com/coronavirus-is-exposing-how-backward-car-buying-is-1842475387

However, online traffic for the 1,000 U.S. and Canadian dealers served by Roadster, which provides a digital sales platform for everything from financing paperwork to vehicle delivery, was up about 6%.

“Many dealerships are going to get caught with their pants down,” said Brian Benstock, a dealer in the New York City borough of Queens. “This will be a watershed moment for the dealership industry.”

Dealers have been doing business online for years, but it has never been a major focus. Only 15% of all transactions are online, according to a November survey of 540 dealers commissioned by the National Automobile Dealers Association. However, they expect online car sales to double by 2025.

Cox Automotive analyst Michelle Krebs said the outbreak will accelerate the wider adoption of services that allow customers to stay away from showrooms.

“It’s what people wanted going into this,” she said, citing a Cox January survey that found consumers cited vehicle pick-up and delivery as their top desire.

And, it's going to be a buyer's market for quite a while:

Auto retail sales through the week of March 22 declined 22% nationwide on a yearly basis and as much as 40% in some cities on the U.S. West Coast, according to an analysis by research firm J.D. Power, based on data from dealership stores around the country.

Last week’s data did not yet fully account for various U.S. states passing shelter-in-place orders at the end of last week.

“We expect to see a much broader and wider impact from these restrictions next week with sales declining 80% or more,” said Tyson Jominy, the firm’s vice president of data and analytics.

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This will not end well

Can someone with better research skills than I possess discover if this is due to anxious (regular) patients filling scrips due to a feared shortage or perhaps run a query to see of any Trump organization family members bought stock in the pharma manufacturer prior to the announcement?

Never mind, I am sure I don’t want to know. This is getting really insane  and we haven’t hit bottom yet .

Cue BrisketTexanThereIsNoBottom gif

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Can someone with better research skills than I possess discover if this is due to anxious (regular) patients filling scrips due to a feared shortage or perhaps run a query to see of any Trump organization family members bought stock in the pharma manufacturer prior to the announcement?

Never mind, I am sure I don’t want to know. This is getting really insane  and we haven’t hit bottom yet .

Cue BrisketTexanThereIsNoBottom gif

You already know.

Either lupus and malaria have long been rampant in Ohio, or Ohioans are buying it because Trump said its great for CV.

But I don't think Trumpco bought any stock.  While Trump is certainly a conman grifter, he is also a true believer in conspiracy theories in quackery.  Hannity or Alex Jones probably bought the stock and pumped it up to Trump.

22 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This will not end well

Better than taking fish tank cleaner or drinking ispropyl alcohol.  Presumably the prescriptions as written are safe dosages and each person's history has been considered before prescribing, and they've given informed consent.  That done, the overall risks are low and there's reason to believe it helps.  

And Re the French researcher above, I haven't dug into the claims in that tweet, but they should probably be verified before tossing out the recent HCHQ/Azithromycin study.  The study design itself has limitations, but that doesn't mean it's faked.  Bad info can cut both ways.

edit: and per Mrs. W above, could be non-covid rx's being filled out of fear of shortages.  That's not clear.

Edited by triplehorn