CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think it's more likely that China, at least the government, cares more about saving face than it does human life. Certainly their response was more effective. And certainly the American government isn't showing a very high value for lives either - just the almighty dollar.

I read a case study of the Chinese leader at the time of the ice storms (remember those) about 10 years ago.  He was "on it."  They referred to him in very fatherly terms.

This, Xi, however, shit the bed early on and they know it.  So does he, so he better be doing something.

This is his daughter, BTW.

xi-mingze-1.jpg

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Yanquis go home!

Coronavirus: Mexicans demand crackdown on Americans crossing the border

Residents in Sonora, south of the US state of Arizona, have promised to block traffic into Mexico for a second day after closing a checkpoint for hours on Wednesday.

They wore face masks and held signs telling Americans to "stay at home".

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-52053656

I shouldn't laugh about this, but that's funny and appropriate. I need Vicente Fox to weigh in on this with some of his humor.

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Just a few triumphs of the Free Market that made America great in the first place:

- The public school system

- Land grant research universities

- The space program

- Interstate highways

- The atomic bomb

- The Louisiana Purchase

- D-Day

- The Second Amendment

Private oil / gas rights 

29 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

China is spraying chlorox over streets and buildings.  We’re not even making masks and ventilators.   I believe the Chinese numbers are probably fudged by a lot, but I also believe the Chinese government is absolutely doing more to contain this than our government.  

We’re most likely below China now in terms of valuing human life.   That’s a low I didn’t think I’d see.

90428360_10158866636194897_1749864552217

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Remember when CNN kicked off cable news by broadcasting the Gulf War on location?  Now they read random people’s tweets, make endless banal and overly hedged predictions on how things might affect polls for the election that is 8 months away, and let grifter hacks read talking points propaganda that goes unchallenged because you need someone to know how something really works in order to refute the bad information. 

WTF has happened to us?   

turns out it's much cheaper to pay 3 assholes to yell at each other in a studio than it is to have correspondents in the field reporting on events live.  and, for some dumbass reason, people would much rather watch the former. 

also, cnn had to sell its soul to the military to get correspondents embedded during iraq 2: gulf boogaloo

6 hours ago, cam4mav said:

- just like everybody else, praised the administration Trump and Pence, for their open communication with the state. Having "good conversations"

- When asked for how those conversations go, he visibly had to pause and just say they are going well and we want to keep that communication going. Sure looks like he wants to call Trump a numpty but can't cause he knows he'll get cut off.

The governors know they will get no help if they call out Trump and only get help by praising him. Trump will use those soundbites of Democratic governors in campaign adds in the fall to try convince the idiots, I mean American public, he did a great job addressing the  COVID-19 virus.

13 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Yes.  Well.  What about that time that one Democrat politician who’s been dead for two decades now said something racist in the 1960s?   Yeah, that’s what I thought.  Conversation over.  Advantage Trump.  

-Johnny Sack and all Republicans 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I read a case study of the Chinese leader at the time of the ice storms (remember those) about 10 years ago.  He was "on it."  They referred to him in very fatherly terms.

This, Xi, however, shit the bed early on and they know it.  So does he, so he better be doing something.

This is his daughter, BTW.

xi-mingze-1.jpg

The Chinese have 27 different words for cankle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

They’re not testing in West Texas yet. If there’s any community spread out there, New Mexico is next if they don’t get it from Colorado first. Colorado and New Mexico individually have something like 1.8-1.9 hospital beds/1000 residents.

4 hours ago, triplehorn said:

US surpassing China to lead the world in virus cases? 

I wonder how he likes the numbers now?

The US president has said he would rather have people remain onboard a cruise ship, which was denied entry to San Francisco over coronavirus concerns.

"'I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn’t our fault. I like the numbers being where they are."

Holy Hell! This was said less than 3 weeks ago! He HAD/HAS no clue!!

Edited by yoladu

48 minutes ago, Jhawkmvp said:

The governors know they will get no help if they call out Trump and only get help by praising him. Trump will use those soundbites of Democratic governors in campaign adds in the fall to try convince the idiots, I mean American public, he did a great job addressing the  COVID-19 virus.

They apparently aren't going to get much help from him anyway, might as well call a spade a spade. He can't stonewall them all. Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina all have Democratic governors. The former three aren't even up for reelection in 2020 and the latter is more popular than Trump in-state. He can't leave those states out to dry. I understand their ordeal though. I don't envy governors right now.

The fact that POTUS is making this into a contest of political patronage - we're not even talking about negotiating for legislation or anything, just looking for praise - is so fucking gross.

And I am pretty sure this dumb fucking country is going to reelect him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Why is it the one time he could throw his weight around and use his power for good is the one time he refuses to do so?

Maddening.

From the article: it explains a lot.

At the center of the discussion about how to ramp up the production of ventilators is Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and a senior White House aide, who has told people that he was called in two weeks ago by Vice President Mike Pence to produce more coronavirus test kits and who has now turned his attention to ventilators.

It’s truly breathtaking how much important shit Jared Kushner doesn’t accomplish. Seems every time I pick up a newspaper there’s another story about Kushner zooming from one massive unfinished project to the next. One day, he’s busy not bringing peace to the Middle East. The next, he’s parachuting in to make zero progress slowing down a global pandemic.  And now we’re reading that this wunderkind of unfinished business has been burning the midnight oil behind the scenes to scuttle billion dollar deals for critical medical equipment. 
Is there any task so big that Jared Kushner can’t not get it done? 

Chef’s kiss.

52 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

From the article: it explains a lot.

If Kushner is doing everything, maybe he should be President instead.  He'd be 1000 times better than Trump. And I say that as someone who thinks Kushner sucks and isn't qualified for any of the tasks assigned to him.

Funny though that these were supposedly "hard working business owners" who were working so hard to manage their companies to provide jobs for poor schlubs.  Yet Kushner and Trump Corps are still kicking while Trump Sr golfs, his kids do nothing, and Jared is busy doing a bunch of science fair projects.  Sounds like they are more useless to their companies than the groundskeepers are. 

• Like 5

good news!  if we all keep social distancing and closing down public spaces, houston might be over this by may 12!  /s

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/03-26-20-coronavirus-covid-19-houston-end-date-infection-spread-ut-health/

They estimated that if strict interventions began immediately, the number of coronavirus cases could grow to approximately 3,500 by the anticipated end of the infection, which would be approximately May 12 in the Houston area.

The team predicts that if strict interventions were delayed one week, the total number of cases would rise to 24,000 and if delayed two weeks, cases would climb to 153,000.

To be clear, the May date would not signal complete freedom from risk of contracting COVID-19.

(i'm not entirely certain what strict interventions are - identified cases get hard quarantined?)

On 3/25/2020 at 6:35 PM, zork said:

I had the chance to move to the Boston area for work and declined, had the chance to move to San Jose in a different scenario and declined(looking back the San Jose thing might have been really really good.  DFW is fine though.  

This explains a lot. I don't fault you for not moving to Boston.  Its cold as fuck for 8 months.  Montreal is 10x the city with roughly the same climate and I couldn't live there from October to April either.  But you turned down a lot of chances for a place that is "fine though."  You may be alive, but you have never been living.

The coronavirus is a bump for NYC and the world, for sure.  But NYC will be back.  People that took chances to move to places they want to be will be happy again.  And you'll still be "fine though."

Do you ever travel?

Edited by FondrenRoad

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Wouldn't it be a crime against humanity to refuse medical help to your own countrymen? To actively block aid that could have been delivered?

You are talking about Donald Trump and the Republican Party that has been completely molded in his image. The answer, to them, is no.

Edited by gmr548

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You are talking about Donald Trump and the Republican Party that has been completely molded in his image. The answer, to them, is no.

True. Humanity means nothing to them. I'm talking more about an appraisal done by non-sociopaths.

22 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Kushner is a bag man. He went to the MidEast to collect money. He was trying to set up back channels to Russia to collect money. 

I've been wondering about the money to be made on a pandemic that is allowed to go uncontrolled. Trump refuses to order supplies to be made after stalling the response. That drives up demand for ventilators and other supplies. 

Trump prefers a deal be made. He sends Kushner.  FEMA balks at the price. Why would the price be exorbitant? Excessive? Kushner was sent to collect money.

I have no link or evidence. I have only deductions. The states are in a bidding war for supplies. Money flows. Who could stop that? Trump. Why wouldn't he stop it? Money.

Trump is overplaying his hand. His lack of empathy blocks him from seeing the resentment he'll generate by subjecting so many citizens to gruesome illness and death. He can't escape the public statements and continued callousness. When people have family and friends suffering, they will focus. They will want to know why.

Wouldn't it be a crime against humanity to refuse medical help to your own countrymen? To actively block aid that could have been delivered?

Donald Trump is the worst man of my time on earth. He is rotten to his soulless core. He is the face of the United States of America right now.

Enormous shame and ongoing horror. So much suffering. So little sense to it.

There could be an asteroid barreling down on us the size of the moon.  Trump would be selling fake seats on an ark ship that doesn't exist.  The Earth would explode without even an attempt to divert the asteroid or move people to another potentially inhabitable planet or moon.  At least an American attempt.  The moon will probably have Chinese and Russians on it though.  He doesn't know how to solve problems.  He only knows how to profit from problems while other people solve them which just makes it harder for the actual problem solvers.  He's a piece of shit. 

Right now, he's sad he doesn't personally own a bunch of ventilators that he could sell for 10x the normal price.  He probably doesn't want to sign the defense production act because he'd rather have a backroom deal with companies that pay him while gouging Americans.  He doesn't care how many people die from this at all.  He is actually one of the most sociopathic people I've ever seen do public speaking.  I think that all his kids could die from coronavirus and he'd still go give his same dumb speech about how he is the greatest.  I don't think he could even muster a fake tear.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 5