CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I think the queen makes the "official appointment", but after they are elected by parliament. 

The PM is not elected per se.  The party is elected (majority of Commons), and the PM is the leader of the majority party, or someone else they agree upon and appointed by the Regent, accordingly.  If there is not a majority in Commons, then the plurality coalition comes up with someone, hence "coalition government."

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Apparently some 450,000 travelers came from China after this tremendous travel ban.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/430k-people-have-come-to-us-from-china-since-coronavirus-crisis/

See the last line of the quoted text.

At least 430,000 people have arrived in the US from China — including about 40,000 following President Trump’s travel ban — since the Chinese Communist Party declared its coronavirus outbreak on Dec. 31, according to a report.

Most of those arriving, from a number of different countries, flew into New York, Newark, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle and Detroit, the New York Times reported, citing an analysis of travel data from both China and the US.

Thousands came directly from Wuhan, the center of the initial coronavirus outbreak, before US health officials had a grip on what was happening.

And they’re still coming.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

BoJo being admitted to the ICU after advocating a do-nothing herd immunity approach is particularly ironic

'I never thought the virus would attack MY lungs,' sobs man who led the Viruses Attacking People's Lungs Party. 

*I couldn't resist the joke, but in all seriousness ARDS is absolutely terrifying and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. I sincerely hope Boris Johnson recovers his health swiftly and fully, and gains wisdom and compassion from this struggle. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

orly?

bad move on Biden's part.  we know exactly what Trump is gonna say at his press conference rally.

"Sleepy Joe was very sleepy.  He could barely stay awake during our call.  I couldn't understand a word he said.  He didn't make sense at all.  He was incoherent.  Really sad.  The only time he made sense was when he said I was doing a great job.  Better than Obama.  And he apologized for the mess he and Obama created that I had to clean up."

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

bad move on Biden's part.  we know exactly what Trump is gonna say at his press conference rally.

"Sleepy Joe was very sleepy.  He could barely stay awake during our call.  I couldn't understand a word he said.  He didn't make sense at all.  He was incoherent.  Really sad.  The only time he made sense was when he said I was doing a great job.  Better than Obama.  And he apologized for the mess he and Obama created that I had to clean up."

Not necessarily. Biden just needs to hit the airwaves before Trump's press conference and it could turn the tables. I don't know if there is anyone in his campaign smart enough to coordinate it, though.

There's an interesting parallel with the CVN Teddy Roosevelt and Teddy's actions in 1898 with his Round-Robin Letter

By July 28, 1898, malaria and yellow fever were rife among U.S. Army troops garrisoned near Santiago de Cuba on the island of Cuba. Fifth Corps, to which the Rough Riders was attached, had 4,270 men seriously ill (and dying), and corps commanders feared the unit could be wiped out if it stayed in Cuba.[1] The McKinley administration, however, planned to keep the corps in Cuba until peace negotiations with Spain concluded. Public opinion was also against bringing home an army infected with yellow fever.[2]

Several senior officers met with Major General William R. Shafter, commander of Fifth Corps, and unanimously asked that the corps be withdrawn to the United States.[2] It is unclear whether Shafter agreed and asked for this in writing, or whether Shafter disagreed and the corps commanders decided to put their request in writing. Colonel Theodore Roosevelt (commander of the First Volunteer US Cavalry Rough Riders), the only non-general officer of the group, was asked by the rest of the group to draft a round-robin letter outlining the problems with living conditions and disease to send to Army Headquarters in Washington, D.C. The letter would also be deliberately leaked to the press.[1]

As a volunteer, Roosevelt's career would not be at stake in the way a regular army officer's would be by the communication.[3] (Some sources say there is doubt that Roosevelt was the author,[4] while others say that Roosevelt was only the author of the abridged letter.[3]) Nine generals and Roosevelt signed the letter.[4] An abridged version was given to Shafter to present to the United States Secretary of War.[1] Shafter declined to do so, but did communicate with his superiors about what was happening.[4]

The letter was deliberately leaked to Associated Press correspondents at corps headquarters, who cabled it to the U.S., where it was published nationwide. Publication of the round-robin letter turned public opinion against the War Department.[4]

The McKinley administration was outraged by the leaking of the round-robin letter, but quickly realized that the public would blame the government. The administration acted swiftly to try to defuse the situation. On July 28, Secretary of War Russell A. Alger cabled Shafter and ordered Fifth Corps home to Camp Wikoff on Long Island, New York, for quarantine and mustering out. On August 3, the day before the letter appeared in the press, Alger ordered construction of barracks at Camp Wikoff to begin and for United States Navy ships to head to Cuba to retrieve Fifth Corps. The first units departed on August 7.[1] Alger claimed that the round-robin letter did not accelerate administration plans to repatriate the corps. This appears disingenuous, however, as Alger had long asserted that naval ships were unavailable to bring the troops home.[5]

• Like 5

https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/arizona-cops-bust-man-for-coughing-on-gas-pump-handle/

Anyone member that American kid in Singapore who was vandalizing property and got ass floggings?

Why don't we do that in this country? Is it really cruel and unusual? I don't think so.

California man may face charges in Arizona for intentionally coughing on a gas pump handle while referencing the spread of coronavirus, police said.

The man, identified only as a 23-year-old man from Winterhaven, was questioned after cops in Yuma received multiple reports of video circulating on social media Saturday showing the unsanitary deed, police said.

The suspect later admitted to coughing on the pump during an interview Sunday at the Yuma Police Department, Sgt. Lori Franklin said.

“He came in willingly and did a full interview,” Franklin said. “He admitted to the fact that that was him on the video.”

The man got the idea “from other social media videos” he’d previously seen on the internet, police said in a statement.

“He blatantly coughed on the handle and said, ‘This is how you get coronavirus,’” Franklin said of the footage, which was posted to Snapchat.

• Like 2

Is anyone surprised that insider trader Kelly Loeffler is being outpolled by assclown Doug Collins? Of course not, insider trader Kelly Loeffler is being outpolled by assclown Doug Collins because Georgians really want nothing to do with insider trading Kelly Loeffler or assclown Doug Collins. Georgians are going to vote for a Democratic candidate this time because insider trading Kelly Loeffler, assclown Doug Collins, and goober Brian Kemp have created a pandemic nightmare in the state of Georgia.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Only this weirdo would congratulate someone for not dying.

Whitsett said she was familiar with "the wonders" of hydroxychloroquine from an earlier bout with Lyme disease,

Not saying she didn't have it, but people who think they have "lyme disease" tend to be a little nuts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

add her to your bingo cards.  she will certainly get name-checked today.

I will add her to the bingo card, but I'm not convinced he will remember her name.

Aren't they 30 minutes late right now? I may not be able to watch it. Spouse is WFH at the kitchen table right now so I can't have it on while I cook. Manicotti tonight, whoo-hoo. I  may get my ear buds but knowing me will drop them in the sauce.

57 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have seen quite a few pretty anti-Trump things pop up on WT lately.  There seems to be a minor revolt in the "right sites."

It won’t matter.  Trump is a narcissist and his fans are cultists.  Do you know what happens to good friends and allies of cultists who snap out of it and point out the emperor has no clothes?  They’re banished.  Shunned.  They become the new most hated enemy, the loathed heretic.  

And the cult’s faith in its persecuted savior only grows stronger.  

Edited by BrickHorn

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

well, trump is a racist and is actually xenophobic, so...if the shoe fits.

let's go to the record:

there is actually nothing in that that is inaccurate. please note that biden was using the proper terminology, calling this a crisis. what was trump saying on feb 1 about the coronavirus?

and i know it's a fool's errand to argue with a fool on the internet, but i will acknowledge the democrats playing stupid games with the stimulus bill. nevertheless, the degree to which the responsibility for the harm to the public, i'd say that the racist and xenophobic administration shoulders, by far, the lion's share of the blame for our current situation.

also, let's not forget that he did not ban all travel from china, nor did we quarantine people upon their return, which contributed significantly to the spread here. 

further, he stalled for a month to stop travel, despite being warned in december.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-nsc/as-trump-administration-debated-travel-restrictions-thousands-streamed-in-from-china-idUSKBN21N0EJ

so let's not pretend that his "travel ban" on china was some momentous, bold decision. he dragged his feet for a fucking month on that decision. he's a terrible leader. any support for him and other republican leaders downplaying the danger of this virus is very close to criminal.

I didn't realize Nancy Pelosi and Bill DeBlasio were Republicans.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

It won’t matter.  Trump is a narcissist and his fans are cultists.  Do you know what happens to good friends and allies of cultists who snap out of it and point out the emperor has no clothes?  They’re banished.  Shunned.  They become the new most hate enemy, the loathed heretic.  

And the cult’s faith in its persecuted savior only grows stronger.  

You've got the cult on the wrong foot.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Aren't they 30 minutes late right now? I may not be able to watch it. Spouse is WFH at the kitchen table right now so I can't have it on while I cook. Manicotti tonight, whoo-hoo. I  may get my ear buds but knowing me will drop them in the sauce.

Now set to begin at 45 minutes after the hour (in a few minutes). 

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

That sounds exactly like what a cult member would say.

Everyday this forum proves that the truly brainwashed do not know they have been brainwashed.  And to cut your reply off at the pass, I don't post here everyday.

• Fuck You 11

5 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Here, have at it. 

Even someone that postulates that the nucleus is of viral origin isn't ready to call them alive without qualification.

Alive, borrowed life, gray area

Doesn't really matter. 

Are fire ants thinking when they form the floating island?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-viruses-alive-2004/

Did viruses evolve from the living? When does reproductive organic chemistry change from non-living to living? Or vice versa? Maybe we could start a thread about the origins of life and evolutionary biology. I think a discussion of viruses would belong in that thread. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Did viruses evolve from the living? When does reproductive organic chemistry change from non-living to living? Or vice versa? Maybe we could start a thread about the origins of life and evolutionary biology. I think a discussion of viruses would belong in that thread. 

Maybe some of the living evolved from viruses (see below):

5 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Everyday this forum proves that the truly brainwashed do not know they have been brainwashed.  And to cut your reply off at the pass, I don't post here everyday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

You still post here too much.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Fauci > Birx. No misogyny here.

He is her mentor. I agree, though, he's pretty special.

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

I do find it interesting (actually totally obvious) that Trump refers to Fauci with his title, Dr. Fauci, and never just Tony but always refers to Dr. Birx as Deborah and never uses her title.

Casual misogyny, man.

I've heard him call Dr Fauci Tony before, but that doesn't mean he's not a misogynist...

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I do find it interesting (actually totally obvious) that Trump refers to Fauci with his title, Dr. Fauci, and never just Tony but always refers to Dr. Birx as Deborah and never uses her title.

Casual misogyny, man.

I am surprised he hasn't said "this broad" when referring to her.

• Haha 1