CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, Stringer said:

I know it's been said, but it's insane that "wear a piece of cloth over your face to save other people's lives" has become a wedge issue.  

Yeah, its insane that Abbot is now "caving to the blue" b/c he told folks (way too late) to wears masks.  Absolute nuttiness.  

I see similar comments on other States' discussion threads as well, sadly.  There's a hick on the Nextdoor for my area posting about how wearing masks causes carbon dioxide poisoning.  And she gets "thanks" which I view as the nextdoor equivalent to pos rep.  Call them on it, and they get all sensitive.  I'm sorry, but these people are too stupid to live and if injecting the dumbasses would somehow give the rest of us immunity, I would be very happy to support it. 

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

10 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Yeah, its insane that Abbot is now "caving to the blue" b/c he told folks (way too late) to wears masks.  Absolute nuttiness.  

I see similar comments on other States' discussion threads as well, sadly.  There's a hick on the Nextdoor for my area posting about how wearing masks causes carbon dioxide poisoning.  And she gets "thanks" which I view as the nextdoor equivalent to pos rep.  Call them on it, and they get all sensitive.  I'm sorry, but these people are too stupid to live and if injecting the dumbasses would somehow give the rest of us immunity, I would be very happy to support it. 

What is the explanation for how masks cause CO2 poisoning? That piece of fabric somehow just slams all that CO2 right back into your lungs? Jeebus

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LTbear said:

What is the explanation for how masks cause CO2 poisoning? That piece of fabric somehow just slams all that CO2 right back into your lungs? Jeebus

The explanation is that people are so, so, so fucking stupid.  Imagine how stupid a person can be.  Triple it.  And you still aren't even close to the stupidity that at least 40% of this country is PROUD to display.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

He’s going to get death threats because of this order.  The lunatic fringe is no longer a fringe.  It’s a third of the country.

Guess he didn’t clear this with little Danny Patrick?  Can’t wait till he finds out about this!

3 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

He’s going to get death threats because of this order.  The lunatic fringe is no longer a fringe.  It’s a third of the country.

9 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s not just that he’s late. It’s that he *prevented* cities and counties from being able to institute mask rules for the last two months or so. That’s way worse than just being late 

Is legal action because of this a possibility?

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My mom made a bunch of masks because she was bored.  She used leftover fabric she had laying around from various sewing projects.  The denim ones made breathing slightly difficult, but the other ones are fine.

Man, I still wear a double-thickness bandana, that's pretty new and thick.  I don't think it adversely affects my pulse-ox, but it is less than comfy.

54 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s not just that he’s late. It’s that he *prevented* cities and counties from being able to institute mask rules for the last two months or so. That’s way worse than just being late 

Yes, being angry with him for that is something I can agree with.  My point was about the idiots being angry with him for "caving" now.   

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Man, I still wear a double-thickness bandana, that's pretty new and thick.  I don't think it adversely affects my pulse-ox, but it is less than comfy.

The denim was so thick it was difficult to keep it from sliding down my face due to the weight.

My mom made a bunch of masks because she was bored.  She used leftover fabric she had laying around from various sewing projects.  The denim ones made breathing slightly difficult, but the other ones are fine.

My mom was as well - until she broke her hip 2 weeks ago

See what masks will get you.
-Aggy logic
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Well, it's the ones she made out of old lacey panties that are 1) not that effective and 2) among my favorites.

35 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I asked upthread if he could be charged with a crime and got no response.

He can't.  Sovereign immunity.

But make no mistake -- he is now claiming that it is necessary, and he himself is ORDERING, something that he expressly FORBADE local officials from ordering for two months.  That's completely indefensible.

I mean, of course face masks cause carbon dioxide poisoning!

Aren’t you aware of the long history of surgeons and nurses and drywall contractors who drop dead every day all over the world?

Now THAT’S the real pandemic!!
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, it's the ones she made out of old lacey panties that are 1) not that effective and 2) among my favorites.

Pretty sure you’ve met my mother.  Whatever floats your boat, but the Vic Mackey thread is on another board.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He can't.  Sovereign immunity.

But make no mistake -- he is now claiming that it is necessary, and he himself is ORDERING, something that he expressly FORBADE local officials from ordering for two months.  That's completely indefensible.

Sure, but could a liberal DA in one of our states urban centers do it just to make a point?

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Pretty sure you’ve met my mother.  Whatever floats your boat, but the Vic Mackey thread is on another board.

Sure, but could a liberal DA in one of our states urban centers do it just to make a point?

Oh...I didn't say they were your mom's panties.  

And no, it would be utter folly and legally asinine to file charges against the governor.  Seriously, it would be sanctionable bad faith - it just can't be done.  He's immune.

• Like 1

I tried breathing through your mom’s jeans. It was difficult.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Okie State said:
3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:
The denim was so thick it was difficult to keep it from sliding down my face due to the weight.

But they match your jorts...so worth it.

You are mistaking me for an Ohio State fan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LTbear said:

I tried to reason with a couple of those folks.  Explained the difference in volume of inhaled air per breath versus the volume of <whatever> is entrained in the mask.  No dice.  Couldn't be bothered.

Guest Lobo

Yeah, what do these people think was happening with folks that had to wear masks for work, pre-Covid?  Like surgeons or dental hygienists or welders or small Asian women at airports? 

Whenever you read some story about "10-hour surgery to save man's life was a success", next line never read, "And chief surgeon dies of CO2 poisoning after the stitch him back up."  

18 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Seems like a legit group but I'd like to see their data, methods, etc. Call me cautiously optimistic that their approach will be successful.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Mother. Fucker.  Can we put this dude in the Gohmert, Gaetz, Nunes group?  He can swim anchor on the stupid legislator relay team.

Would love to see a modern day remake of Python's Upper Class Twit of the Year sketch with those guys competing. Instead of shooting themselves they could infect themselves with covid. Herman Cain could root them on from his hospital bed.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Fuck Greg Abbott. Perry would have managed this better. Yes, I know what I’m saying. 

This is absolutely true. I thought Perry was our worst governor ever and thought he would be a danger to the country as president. I had no idea that our current governor and president would be much worse.

Rick was pretty corrupt and aggy but he was actually pretty charming when you met him in person and if you took away the corruption and aggy was a fairly decent guy. Just look at his debate answer on tuition and illegals. He would have handled this better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I don’t know but that source seems sketchy.

No verified Twitter account and on 247 followers.
9abbf54892767c2b8dc78058c17f8506.jpg

And some of their other articles seem.......a bit odd.
5038491f127c86da49675afcb74d2463.jpg

e6382d7c272d5830114211b6d418b056.jpg

We need all the fact checking for reliable sources that we can get in these trying times.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I don’t know but that source seems sketchy.

Yes, that was the first thing I thought when I clicked the link (sorry I forgot to mention that). So I looked at the name and title of the investigator that was mentioned (Prof. Sara Gilbert) and found this website:

https://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/news/covid-19-vaccine-development

Here is an excerpt, which led me to believe their work is legit, but I'd like to see the data and methods of the results that led to their claim that was the focus of the article (hence my cautious optimism):

Scientists around the world are working hard to develop a vaccine to prevent COVID-19, but there is a lot to be done. A team in Oxford led by Prof. Sarah Gilbert, Prof. Andrew Pollard, Prof. Teresa Lambe, Dr Sandy Douglas and Prof. Adrian Hill started work designing a vaccine on Saturday 10th January 2020. The current status is that they have identified a vaccine candidate and are working towards the first clinical testing phase.

A chimpanzee adenovirus vaccine vector (ChAdOx1), developed at Oxford’s Jenner Institute, was chosen as the most suitable vaccine technology for a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine as it can generate a strong immune response from one dose and it is not a replicating virus, so it cannot cause an ongoing infection in the vaccinated individual. This also makes it safer to give to children, the elderly and anyone with a pre-existing condition such as diabetes. Chimpanzee adenoviral vectors are a very well-studied vaccine type, having been used safely in thousands of subjects, from 1 week to 90 years of age, in vaccines targeting over 10 different diseases. 

Coronaviruses have club-shaped spikes on their outer coats. Immune responses from other coronavirus studies suggest that these are a good target for a vaccine. The Oxford vaccine contains the genetic sequence of this surface spike protein inside the ChAdOx1 construct. After vaccination, the surface spike protein of the coronavirus is produced, which primes the immune system to attack the coronavirus if it later infects the body. Prof. Gilbert and team have previously developed a vaccine for another human coronavirus disease, which is Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), and this has shown promise in early clinical trials.

At the same time as preparing for and conducting the first clinical trial, production of the vaccine is being scaled up ready for larger trials, and potentially, future deployment.

Researchers at Oxford University are working with great care, and due haste, in developing a new vaccine for coronavirus. Production is underway and we are recruiting for a clinical trial. If proven effective, a safe coronavirus vaccine could provide an exit strategy for the pandemic and save lives. While we understand the interest, we ask that the media do not continue to contact researchers while this critical work is underway so that they can focus on these efforts. We will issue press releases in due course.

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

We need all the fact checking for reliable sources that we can get in these trying times.

Whatever, man.....

e6382d7c272d5830114211b6d418b056.jpg

Tell me more about the 4 hour corona-boner symptom......I may need to go out maskless for a few days, for the sake of, ummm, science.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Tell me more about the 4 hour corona-boner symptom......I may need to go out maskless for a few days, for the sake of, ummm, science.

I think there's a pill for that my dude

Edited by LTbear

Peter Navarro on MSNBC with Ali Velshi said on live tv that the Chinese "spawned" the virus and purposely sent hundreds of thousands of Chinese people to American and Europe to "seed and spread" the virus. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Peter Navarro on MSNBC with Ali Velshi said on live tv that the Chinese "spawned" the virus and purposely sent hundreds of thousands of Chinese people to American and Europe to "seed and spread" the virus. 

That can't be true - he didn't really say that, did he?

These fuckers are just Nazi propagandists redux.

• Like 1