CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Obvious troll is obvious. Either put him on ignore or neg him to Bolivia. Your call.

Google image search leads to the chart and accompanying story from April 17.

Mine was legit.  Included link.  The previous post above it was the one in question.

Just to clarify.

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

Mine was legit.  Included link.  The previous post above it was the one in question.

Just to clarify.

Yeah, I didn't doubt your numbers - just included you in my response because y'all were discussing his outdated chart and wanted to make sure none of you missed what y'all were questioning.

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

We are beyond a divided country right now -- we are at a place where the deaths of people who do not support the regime do not matter, and the deaths of people who do support the regime mean the crisis is an emergency.

If you think that Trump wouldn't gladly allow every minority and/or Dem voter to die, you haven't been paying attention.  He literally sees us as the enemy -- the people he is sworn to govern and protect -- are the enemy.  It's just plain old unvarnished evil.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Miami Marlins have had a breakout in Ghent clubhouse and MLB has cancelled their game tonight.

Now the tram they just played (Philly) is trying to figure out their path.

Took one whole weekend.

LOL. And people still think we will have college football this year. What a shitshow.

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Letting the eviction protection expire was dumb as fuck. 

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/senate-expected-to-renew-eviction-moratorium-but-rent-is-still-due-aug-1/

No jobs, now possibly homeless only leads to bad things for everyone. 

It’s amazing that Senate GOP would fuck up this badly in an election year. Economy is going to get shittier as people get evicted and can’t pay rent

13 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s amazing that Senate GOP would fuck up this badly in an election year. Economy is going to get shittier as people get evicted and can’t pay rent

An increase in homeless correlates to possible increase in crime, drugs, exploitation, unwanted pregnancies, mental health issues, spreading covid, people to participate in non-peaceful protests

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

An increase in homeless correlates to possible increase in crime, drugs, exploitation, unwanted pregnancies, mental health issues, spreading covid, people to participate in non-peaceful protests

Careful. Rep Yoho will have words with you for holding such an opinion 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2020 at 10:13 AM, Nivek said:

My lame opinion: 

Being pro-intellect, science, reading, is more difficult and less comforting.  No one is going to pat you on the back or give you attention for knowing plate tectonics.  However, if you decide the earth is hollow and there is a dead goose inside, then you will find other dumbasses to give you attention.   

It's a live goose, btw.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What's astonishing about the mishandling of stimulus & rent protection is that they don't seem to understand the right to vote exists for all classes.  What a strategy -- help assure that maybe 100M potential voters are in desperate economic straits right when they will be casting votes.

Yes, I realize they will try to suppress and manipulate the vote, but it's still nowhere near in their best interest to motivate people who otherwise might NOT vote to go out and vote almost exclusively against you.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, slorch said:

But posters on here keep saying we are the worst, as if their opinion makes it true. The results are nothing to cheer about, for sure; but the pot banging gets old as fuck.

oh, and I still do not believe the Asian countries in the way they report.

Well you'd be completely wrong about South Korea. 

On 7/24/2020 at 9:49 AM, 4th&Five said:

Are we killing kids to get the economy going or own the libs? It’s hard to tell anymore. 

Unless they are one of the one's that die, the risk to an individual child is statistically insignificant.

Just for perspective, the federal eviction ban/moratorium affects fewer than 1/3 of all American renters (properties with federally subsidized financing or rent), which is probably going to include some poor Americans.

The other 2/3 were protected by either state bans, or the simple closure of courts.  Texas' moratorium ended 5/18.

So we are already experiencing the results of an eviction "crisis."

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Just for perspective, the federal eviction ban/moratorium affects fewer than 1/3 of all American renters (properties with federally subsidized financing or rent), which is probably going to include some poor Americans.

The other 2/3 were protected by either state bans, or the simple closure of courts.  Texas' moratorium ended 5/18.

So we are already experiencing the results of an eviction "crisis."

What I don't understand is the economic incentive for eviction at this point -- and yes, I get that ALL parties are often in a tight spot.  The landlord isn't getting the rent he needs to pay his costs (mortgage, taxes, what have you).  And the tenant doesn't have money to pay him.  

My question is....what does eviction get you?  There's not a pool of renters out there looking to snap up a place.  They either have a place, or they are losing a place and can't afford a new one.  So all that eviction does is guarantee that you won't have a tenant who can pay the moment that things start to pick up again.  Why not keep your current tenant, with a workout plan of rolling (some/all of) the deferred rent into later months in their rental term?  It still doesn't get the landlord money today...but nothing will.  What am I missing?

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's astonishing about the mishandling of stimulus & rent protection is that they don't seem to understand the right to vote exists for all classes.  What a strategy -- help assure that maybe 100M potential voters are in desperate economic straits right when they will be casting votes.

Yes, I realize they will try to suppress and manipulate the vote, but it's still nowhere near in their best interest to motivate people who otherwise might NOT vote to go out and vote almost exclusively against you.

It’s simple. Make millions homeless and when they vote using IDs showing addresses they no longer reside at yell “voter fraud!” and declare yourself winner.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It’s simple. Make millions homeless and when they vote using IDs showing addresses they no longer reside at yell “voter fraud!” and declare yourself winner.

Is that like Trump voting in Florida using Mar-a-Lago as his residence (which happens to be against the restrictions put in place when he took "ownership")?

On 7/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I almost forgot to post this after reading about Lobo's situation.

Herman Cain and Wilbur Ross: still hospitalized? Cain was for COVID, the other was for "something minor, not COVID" if I recall correctly. I saw something out in social medialand and it came up. Cain went into the hospital after the Tulsa rally, so if he is still there, he's approaching a month at least. Yikes.

Does "treated with oxygen for his lungs" mean he's on a ventilator?

Wilbur Ross out of the hospital as of today.

Edited by ultimaton
typo

What I don't understand is the economic incentive for eviction at this point -- and yes, I get that ALL parties are often in a tight spot.  The landlord isn't getting the rent he needs to pay his costs (mortgage, taxes, what have you).  And the tenant doesn't have money to pay him.  
My question is....what does eviction get you?  There's not a pool of renters out there looking to snap up a place.  They either have a place, or they are losing a place and can't afford a new one.  So all that eviction does is guarantee that you won't have a tenant who can pay the moment that things start to pick up again.  Why not keep your current tenant, with a workout plan of rolling (some/all of) the deferred rent into later months in their rental term?  It still doesn't get the landlord money today...but nothing will.  What am I missing?
We're going to need a debt reset or it's going to take 10 years to climb out of this hole. Great Depression 2.0. This needs to be our moonshot for the wealthiest country, or we may as well dig up Hoover's corpse and plop him in the Oval Office.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Oxygen for his lungs. Whew, for a minute I thought he was in real trouble and needed oxygen for his fingernails.

22 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

It could, but more likely it means he just requires additional oxygen via nasal cannula or face mask. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Obvious troll is obvious. Either put him on ignore or neg him to Bolivia. Your call.

Google image search leads to the chart and accompanying story from April 17.

Or it was in response to the troll who said America had the “worst” rankings worldwide.     

Is there a tax incentive to evict? If you're a landlord with empty property, do you pay less in April? Do you have to file eviction ro prove the property is vacant? Are there squatters' rights issues that arise? Accepting lower payment now means the rent is now lower later?

I have no idea about any of those questions. I know what the right thing... the thing I like to think I would to do is, but I don't know what other factors may be at play.

I don't know why anyone would want to rent property.

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's not necessarily true.  Death per capita, yes and of course it makes sense considering main access points to the US and population density that the East Coast would get hit extremely hard in an initial wave scenario like COV.   We were woefully unprepared and caught flat footed as this region raced to figure out what to do.  They were really the unfortunate and sad guinea pigs.  Since then, 4 of the top 6 and 6 of the top 10 in cases per 100k are "red" states (7 of the top 11).  Hospitalizations is tough measure as many states didn't track the stat early and some states use different metrics so it's pretty difficult to discern.  Therefore, it's a difficult stat to use except as a lens in the current time frames to see capacity issues.

Nice to see that you agree 10 of the Top 11 states with highest per capita deaths have Democrat Governors.  

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed.  And I don't know if the JPs have the balls to do it, but I would be pretty hard on the plaintiffs, and be tempted to deny even if the requirements met, unless the tenant was a total deadbeat.

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

He is the reason why I could get into eugenics 

31 minutes ago, Mapache said:

What a dickhead

Hey, dumbfuck.  

Don't you believe in private property?

And the federal government is not making you wear a mask.  Private property owners are, and it's their prerogative.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Mapache said:

What a dickhead

These jabbering slobs really got themselves in a logic jam when it comes to the private sector setting their own policies after the whole "I ain't baking no GAY CAKES for nobody!"

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The ability to shit on poor people.  How dare they not have a year of saving's ready to pay rent.  They shouldn't have bought an iPhone.  Or heat.

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

I really hate to think this way but we really need one of these “leaders” to get really sick, like ventilator sick. It would do wonders for compliance

Herman Cain is still on oxygen in a hospital since early July. He was at the Tulsa rally - edit: shit. I just saw this up thread 

Edited by Pig Bellmont