CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 hours ago, tchookem said:

Is there a tax incentive to evict? If you're a landlord with empty property, do you pay less in April? Do you have to file eviction ro prove the property is vacant? Are there squatters' rights issues that arise? Accepting lower payment now means the rent is now lower later?

I have no idea about any of those questions. I know what the right thing... the thing I like to think I would to do is, but I don't know what other factors may be at play.

I don't know why anyone would want to rent property.

Landlords still have repair obligations even if the tenant is not paying rent. Lots of A/C issues during a Texas summer, just as an example. And ongoing wear and tear, damage to property etc. Sometimes a vacant property is less expensive to a landlord than one occupied by a non-paying tenant. 

• Like 1

SIAP but did anyone else see the odd group of America’s Frontline Doctors Breitbart/Facebook video from the steps of the Supreme Court today?

I tried to dig around but there didn’t seem to be any history for the group other than its own website, and it appears to be affiliated with the Tea Party.

Showed up on my neighborhood FB and some of my former HS classmates feeds.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My question is....what does eviction get you?  There's not a pool of renters out there looking to snap up a place.  They either have a place, or they are losing a place and can't afford a new one.  So all that eviction does is guarantee that you won't have a tenant who can pay the moment that things start to pick up again.  Why not keep your current tenant, with a workout plan of rolling (some/all of) the deferred rent into later months in their rental term?  It still doesn't get the landlord money today...but nothing will.  What am I missing?

People are trying to get out of their higher priced leases and move down to something more affordable - now that incomes are more speculative. Smaller holders of rental properties have an opportunity to sign "more likely to pay" tenants in this market. 

For the institutional holders of rental properties, they live in a different world: 

Measures of institutional investor and lender sentiment, ranging from year-to-date returns on apartment real estate investment trusts (REITs) to trends in underwriting standards, are closer to cautious optimism than forewarnings of a crisis. Trepp, a real estate research firm, reports that less than 2% of multifamily loans in commercial mortgaged-backed securities were in special servicing in June, compared with more than 14% for retail mortgages and more than 20% in the lodging sector. 

Renters in institutional-quality properties have found ways to stay current. The National Multifamily Housing Council (NMHC)’s invaluable and widely cited rent payment survey, which covers more than 11 million units, shows remarkable resilience in tenants’ meeting their rent obligations thus far in the downturn. As of July 20, 91.3% of apartment households had made a full or partial rent payment, down only slightly from 93.4% the same week one year ago. 

NMHC is careful to point out that its findings are not based on a full census of America’s rental housing. Rather, they reflect the performance of professionally-managed apartment buildings using property management software from one of five specific firms. Smaller properties, which account for a majority of all rental units, and properties serving income-constrained populations, are underrepresented in the pool. Renter-occupied single-family homes and subsidized affordable units are excluded from the survey. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samchandan/2020/07/25/americas-next-housing-crisis-how-the-pandemic-is-pushing-renters-to-the-brink/#43f50ab21527

The Majority in the Senate does not give one damn about evictions. Their big-boy sponsors are doing just fine - and, after all, that is who they work for. 

• Like 1

Ok, I will put my 2 cents in on the stimulus.  Extend the 600 a week for 2-3 months. Give states 2-3 months to get their shit together to offer 70% of your prior earnings as unemployment through the end of 2020, then reassess.  That 70% of your previous income is similar to what European Countries were doing (though I think they were doing it at 80% of so), but that seems pretty decent.  Also, self-employed folks should be eligible as well.  Afterall, I believe they are paying into that through self employment taxes.  

I do not have a problem with being required to show that you are trying to find a job.  However, if you do not feel safe going back to work, I do not think you should be penalized. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

SIAP but did anyone else see the odd group of America’s Frontline Doctors Breitbart/Facebook video from the steps of the Supreme Court today?

I tried to dig around but there didn’t seem to be any history for the group other than its own website, and it appears to be affiliated with the Tea Party.

Bunch of hcq heads involved. 

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Ed_Gy2aXYAUzGbr?format=jpg&name=900x900

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Bunch of hcq heads involved

They are reaching Q'ish-type status. 

The move from prone positioning of patients to side positions didn't have the same medical community fervor from what I saw. A lot of the lay support came from those wanting to be loyal to the President - and his claims of divining what would be the perfect cure. Surprised to see any physicians making hcq a political statement. But then we are all snowflakes, I suppose. Hell of a hill to die on. 

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, I will put my 2 cents in on the stimulus.  Extend the 600 a week for 2-3 months. Give states 2-3 months to get their shit together to offer 70% of your prior earnings as unemployment through the end of 2020, then reassess.  That 70% of your previous income is similar to what European Countries were doing (though I think they were doing it at 80% of so), but that seems pretty decent.  Also, self-employed folks should be eligible as well.  Afterall, I believe they are paying into that through self employment taxes.  

I do not have a problem with being required to show that you are trying to find a job.  However, if you do not feel safe going back to work, I do not think you should be penalized. 

Republicans are clutching pearls because of the lazy brown people would rather get their PPP checks than work trope, ignoring the devastated job market.  At the same time, they have no problems pouring endless money into farmers because they cant sell all their subsidized corn and soybeans they grow for the Chinese market that Trump closed off to them through his fuckery.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I'm afraid to ask, is Dr. Stella Immanuel...a physician/M.D.?  Or some other kind of doctor?  

Also, "Spirit Wives" is what comes up on caller ID whenever Dan Patrick or Rick Perry call me.  

33 minutes ago, Woland said:

I believe the doctor speaking is an ant-Baxter from Colorado. Her message has come up before on social media. I looked up her credentials at the time, but couldn’t find her name this morning.

trumpt___baxter.jpg?1464364294

1 hour ago, Bigpoppapump said:

I tried, I said "humor me", I couldn't get past when he gets into the Matrix.

I just started laughing at his TB and COVID comparison.  500 people die in the US every year to TB because there is a vaccine and exposure risk is almost zero.  Where is TB rampant?  Asia.  Who wears the fuck out of masks to avoid TB?  Asia.  Who was able to get on top of COVID quicker because of availability and usage of masks?  The answer may shock you!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

He retweeted her pro-HCQ position and it has of course gone viral (pun intended) in the GOP and twitter-right. 

I'm sure @triplehorn is giddy from another source backing his position. 

Dr. Stella Immanuel's tweeter handle is "@theunknowablegranularityofmedicaldecisionmaking". 

7 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

They are reaching Q'ish-type status. 

The move from prone positioning of patients to side positions didn't have the same medical community fervor from what I saw. A lot of the lay support came from those wanting to be loyal to the President - and his claims of divining what would be the perfect cure. Surprised to see any physicians making hcq a political statement. But then we are all snowflakes, I suppose. Hell of a hill to die on. 

I couldn't bring myself to watch the video. They're saying instead of placing patients prone, we need to place them on their side? Lol, okay I'll be sure to let our attendings know that we've been messing this one up bad!

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Breitbart is a serious news organization.

giphy.gif

I mean.....our president's team is fucking disseminating this shit.  The team leading our country....is disseminating this shit.

This simulation has gone way beyond absurd.  Now it's just a series of glitches, like a horse with a shark's head showing up in the middle of the screen.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Pretty obvious they're setting HCQ up to be the way they're going to try to skirt responsibility for Covid come election time.

It's a  bold strategy.  Trump leads the executive branch, which includes Health and Human Services and by extension the FDA.  Clearly, the FDA has gone rogue and is at this point a Democrat-run deep state operation.

HCQAnon?
Dr. Immanuel is my favorite from that group.

"Dr. Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches. 

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by “reptilians” and other aliens."

Social Media will be the downfall of society. 

Social Media gives everyone a voice. It's a simple technology with a noble goal. Give a voice to the unheard. Why would anyone be against that? I am for giving a voice to the unheard, empowering the person who has been oppressed. Why should the corporation get airtime just because they have money to buy ads. I want to hear from the worker of said corporation. Or a politician who doesn't have big money to buy commercial TV ads. They can use twitter to garner support. It's free. The local attractive girl doesn't need to go to Hollywood and get an "acting" gig, she can be beautiful in her hometown and get sponsors. 

The bad side of giving everyone a voice is there are some really stupid and evil people in society. The job the "news media" just to do of filtering out the guy saying the earth is flat doesn't happen anymore. Now that idea spreads enough where other people hear it. It is clearly insane, but now there is a group of insane people trying to spread that theory, they have connected on social media and have a voice. Which isn't so dangerous when we currently have people circling the earth in an orbit, but it gets more dangerous during a pandemic. Maybe I should inject this bleach? 

Everyone having a voice leads to the spread of misinformation. The cat is out of bag. The question is how to move forward? Is there any way to stop the misinformation? Is it the platforms duty to stop people from spreading proven falsehoods? It used to be the TV news media/textbooks/science journals/newspaper prints jobs to stop it. Shouldn't it now be the Facebook/Twitter's job now? 

• Hook 'Em 2