CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

I just figured out a sure fire way not to get Covid.

Have everyone you know get tested before you will meet with them.

^^hmm, maybe i have stumbled onto something. A massive national testing strategy might be a good idea. You know, one that could rise to the level that the elites have access to.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

Could someone translate Yaneer's tweet for me?

About half of covid positives studied have some demonstrable brain injury. Not linked to severity, and asymptotic peeps are about as likely to show injury as severely impacted.

Short take: if possible this is true, kids can’t go to school, football should not happen, and we need to all hide like troglodytes until a vaccine.

OTOH, posting on Surly should not change in form or content.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

About half of covid positives studied have some demonstrable brain injury. Not linked to severity, and asymptotic peeps are about as likely to show injury as severely impacted.

Short take: if possible this is true, kids can’t go to school, football should not happen, and we need to all hide like troglodytes until a vaccine.

Evidence of brain injury should automatically confer an additional 5,000 rep points.

14 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

If you took a sampling of society that has not had covid what percentage would show signs of brain injury? They aren't specifying if the believe the covid caused the brain injury or do many Americans have some level of brain injury from other environmental issues and other causes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, troph said:

The crap in this thread makes me very very angry. But so glad that I’m not a moran. Talked to a bestie and she informed me I’m the only one she knows that has pulled her kids out of public school and opted for private remote learning. I mean good for me yay, but WTF?! Everyone apparently wants in person schooling.

we did a snorkel trip in cabo about a decade ago.  we get on and right across from us is an aggy couple that only wants to tell people about aggy.  we get out on the water  and the two of them start pouring hand sanitizer all into their snorkels.  i couldn't stop laughing. here's one triple fisting on a boat with unlimited free booze.

0?ui=2&ik=34b6e7ebd6&attid=0.1.1&permmsg

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

we did a snorkel trip in cabo about a decade ago.  we get on and right across from us is an aggy couple that only wants to tell people about aggy.  we get out on the water  and the two of them start pouring hand sanitizer all into their snorkels.  i couldn't stop laughing. here's one triple fisting on a boat with unlimited free booze.

Only slightly related, but nevertheless . . . my wife and I were on vacation in Puerto Rico, and arranged a sunset catamaran cruise via the resort's front desk.  Big catamaran, could handle 60 people.  We strolled down to the docks at the appointed time, and there was nobody there but the guy who owned the boat and his wife.  They looked surprised -- "we thought it was canceled?" -- but we had our tickets so they said "let's go".

This won't venture into Penthouse Forum territory, but it was me, my wife, and a couple we had never met sailing around with a massive amount of booze and unlimited shitty food.  I went with the booze.  Small talk ensued, they asked where we were from, we told them "Austin, TX" to which they both laughed and said "we're UT grads, we came down here on vacation, decided to buy a boat, and never left".  Turns out the Mrs. was a (legit) massage therapist and my wife and I both got free massages with no happy endings.  We tipped the hell out of those two Longhorns.

OK, back to the plague.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

That's not impossible, but those rapid result tests the President's team administers do not give false positives, but rather false negatives.

It worked out for DeWine.  He got to skip the event and not have to listen to that carcass bloviate all over Ohio.

• Like 1

If you took a sampling of society that has not had covid what percentage would show signs of brain injury? They aren't specifying if the believe the covid caused the brain injury or do many Americans have some level of brain injury from other environmental issues and other causes. 
Yeah, there's a lot to unpack there. I'm not dismissing it but saying COVID causes brain damage in half of cases is a wee bit premature.

Holy smoke, now the CDC says hand sanitizer is not safe to drink???  What will they ban next?  Arsenic, cyanide, nerve gas?  The mind boggles.
It was very bold of them to issue that guidance in direct contradiction of the President.

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
10 hours ago, sidis said:
argh, point could be made without manipulating secondary y axis scale. That’s the shit scumbag fox newsers do. 

That's Excel's default graph setting.

it's not.  one of my deathbed regrets will be how much of my life i spent making graphs in excel...the secondary axis is not a default.  it will always attempt to stick all the data series on the primary y-axis, regardless of how unrelated the scales are. you have to right click the specific data series you want on the secondary axis and format the series and go out of your way to put it on a secondary axis.  secondary axes are fine when you are measuring something with an order of magnitude difference but that chart is misleading.

what's unfortunate about that is that the data still shows what they want to show, they just don't know how to account for population and population density differences between the types of counties that have the mask requirements.  obviously, higher population counties like the ones where kansas city/wichita/topeka probably have the mask requirements but also have a much higher infection rate due to population. 

what the chart maker should have simply done to control for that is just take the day-over-day percentage change for each and plot that.  presto, accurate, non-manipulated information that demonstrates for fucking idiots that not wearing a mask is stupid and wearing a mask helps slow the spread of the virus.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

the irony of calling the politicization of covid-19 a hoax in a tweet in which he goes out of his way to call it the china virus...all in a tweet trying to backtrack idiotically assuming the pervasiveness and communicability of the virus was not a threat.

it's special.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 7:53 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Um, do we need to revisit the conversation about what types of alcohol stay on the outside of the human body?

They've been "banning" or stopping sale of methanol-based sanitizer, I guess based on the idea that people are drinking it?  AFAIK, methanol is safe topically and is used as a topical antiseptic with some frequency.

I might guess that the drinkers of hand sanitizer are desperate alcoholics.

1 hour ago, sidis said:

it's not.  one of my deathbed regrets will be how much of my life i spent making graphs in excel...the secondary axis is not a default.  it will always attempt to stick all the data series on the primary y-axis, regardless of how unrelated the scales are. you have to right click the specific data series you want on the secondary axis and format the series and go out of your way to put it on a secondary axis.  secondary axes are fine when you are measuring something with an order of magnitude difference but that chart is misleading.

what's unfortunate about that is that the data still shows what they want to show, they just don't know how to account for population and population density differences between the types of counties that have the mask requirements.  obviously, higher population counties like the ones where kansas city/wichita/topeka probably have the mask requirements but also have a much higher infection rate due to population. 

what the chart maker should have simply done to control for that is just take the day-over-day percentage change for each and plot that.  presto, accurate, non-manipulated information that demonstrates for fucking idiots that not wearing a mask is stupid and wearing a mask helps slow the spread of the virus.

You're right -- I was looking at it on my phone and didn't see the sec axis.  I thought you were complaining about the axis not going to 0.  My bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

^^^ Thank you for taking the time to explain that^^^

This was sad; the experiment has begun. That art poster that was displayed earlier regarding 'sacrifice for the economy' has come to fruition.

Oh well in that case., ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not like any kids have underlying conditions... or that there might be kids that don't know that they have underlying conditions.

typical libtard nothing-burger.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

They've been "banning" or stopping sale of methanol-based sanitizer, I guess based on the idea that people are drinking it?  AFAIK, methanol is safe topically and is used as a topical antiseptic with some frequency.

I might guess that the drinkers of hand sanitizer are desperate alcoholics.

I thought methanol can soak through the skin, I would never want to use it as a topical antiseptic. Isopropanol, OTOH, is fine for that (and not drinkable).

On 8/5/2020 at 1:32 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'd like to learn more about the alleged harm inflicted on our youth by schools going to online learning.  We see the claims in the Houston parent's flyer above:  

We are not talking about kids never returning to on-campus learning.  We are talking about a temporary shift to online education.  While I fully understand that this places a heavier burden on low-income families, and this MUST be addressed, I'd like to know what steps were taken to study these deleterious effects after, say, two months of virtual learning.  Admittedly, isolated learning is not summer vacation, but it would seem we should be looking for quantifiable data that shows irreparable harm after a short period of home schooling, not the effects of isolated isolated learning in perpetuity.  I doubt it exists.

I, too, am curious about this.

I know it's not ideal and a royal pain in the ass for parents, but there seems to be this vague notion that an entire cohort of kids is going to be rendered mentally defective by a semester or two of non-live schooling.  Somehow, I suspect that this is bullshit of the purest ray serene.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Oh well in that case., ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not like any kids have underlying conditions... or that there might be kids that don't know that they have underlying conditions.

typical libtard nothing-burger.

Wonder what Ivanka's family will be doing for school?

Ivanka has been pushing for this program below. At first I thought it was a great idea, but then I slapped myself and remembered that her husband is a slumlord and will somehow receive several million.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I know it's not ideal and a royal pain in the ass for parents, but there seems to be this vague notion that an entire cohort of kids is going to be rendered mentally defective by a semester or two of non-live schooling.  Somehow, I suspect that this is bullshit of the purest ray serene.

the one thing we know about kids is that they are adaptable and resilient. 

we know this because they endure all kinds of bullshit growing up, including divorce, moving, other disruptions. we are evolutionary built to be resilient. 

the kids are going to be fine. they are going to grow up. they might need some therapy, but we all do. 

this isn't about the kids. it's about the adults. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

People regularly hold their kids back a year before they start school for athletic purposes.  A lost year because of the pandemic isn't much different and is actually for a good purpose.  And yeah, this is mainly about people being tired of their kids.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You're right -- I was looking at it on my phone and didn't see the sec axis.  I thought you were complaining about the axis not going to 0.  My bad.

Excel has done an outstanding job of "improving" their product to the point where it's almost impossible to use.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I suspect the majority of research done in this arena is related to home schooling, and likely K-8 if not longer.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

People regularly hold their kids back a year before they start school for athletic purposes.  A lost year because of the pandemic isn't much different and is actually for a good purpose.  And yeah, this is mainly about people being tired of their kids.

I agree that it is for a good purpose, and that most children are resilient enough to overcome the challenge. However, there are gray areas and it's important to recognize those and attempt to provide some assistance to parents where applicable. Students who need special services, for instance. Or single parent homes where school provides a safe place while mom or dad is away and there is no alternative. The parent who is upset because their son is losing a year of football and "he is going to see his D-1 scholly chances ruined" I'm less sympathetic to, but am willing to commiserate that it sucks for the child (not the parent--I am so over football parents who relive their youth through their children. Not all are like that and parenthood should be a shared memory, but you know the type to which I refer). And I also completely get that it is extremely difficult to WFH with children, even older ones, hanging around. I know, I've done it before and it requires a lot of time and effort and flexibility that sometimes clients will not forgive.

Nobody has suggested that single parent or two-working-parent families won't need to be accommodated, as well as some special needs kids.  Some of the stranded kids might be able to "pod" with friends, hopefully at little to no cost.  Regardless, it's quite clear there needs to be on-campus learning most of the year, at least for a decent chunk of students.

Most sports and other group activities like band are going to be affected in a similar manner nationwide.  Very few D1 hopefuls are going to lose their spot in the queue because they didn't get to play.  I suspect recruiting will be extended and emphasis on camps and arts auditions will be ramped up.  Of course, that puts the poor kids at a disadvantage.  There is no great answer.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Nobody has suggested that single parent or two-working-parent families won't need to be accommodated, as well as some special needs kids.  Some of the stranded kids might be able to "pod" with friends, hopefully at little to no cost.  Regardless, it's quite clear there needs to be on-campus learning most of the year, at least for a decent chunk of students.

Most sports and other group activities like band are going to be affected in a similar manner nationwide.  Very few D1 hopefuls are going to lose their spot in the queue because they didn't get to play.  I suspect recruiting will be extended and emphasis on camps and arts auditions will be ramped up.  Of course, that puts the poor kids at a disadvantage.  There is no great answer.

No, there really isn't a great answer. For families, a robust public education system can be a lifesaver but America has been undercutting its potential for decades.

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

^^^ Thank you for taking the time to explain that^^^

This was sad; the experiment has begun. That art poster that was displayed earlier regarding 'sacrifice for the economy' has come to fruition.

A six-year-old girl from Tennessee and a six-year-old boy from Nebraska also died from coronavirus this week

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/covid-child-death-georgia-youngest-coronavirus-case-trump-children-immune-a9659641.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Nearly 300,000 Americans could be dead from COVID-19 by Dec. 1, University of Washington health experts forecast on Thursday, although they said 70,000 lives could be saved if people were scrupulous about wearing masks.

https://news.yahoo.com/government-health-experts-warn-u-131133350.html