CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Haven't seen it posted here yet, but a new study was published on Friday on the efficacy of different face masks and materials for blocking COVID droplets

link

The notable finding is that fleece face coverings and the popular neck gator option were measured to actually create mordroplets than not wearing a mask at all - that is to say they are worse than wearing a mask. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 3.36.09 PM.png

Interesting.  I've been wearing a gaiter when I've been out of the house (or a surgical or KN95, depending on whether I expect to be in closer proximity to people).  I don't get how it could be worse than no mask at all.  It has to catch at least something.  I guess I will use my surgical masks except when riding my bike. 

I have a gaiter for fishing and my chin stubble pokes through it.  I imagine it creates more droplets when it's breathed or coughed in to.  Like spraying water through a screen door.  More droplets equal more chances to infect someone.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Interesting.  I've been wearing a gaiter when I've been out of the house (or a surgical or KN95, depending on whether I expect to be in closer proximity to people).  I don't get how it could be worse than no mask at all.  It has to catch at least something.  I guess I will use my surgical masks except when riding my bike. 

While I don't know the details of the analysis, I'm not sure the chart above indicates a gaiter is actually worse than nothing at all, because the error bars are pretty wide.  I think it may be more an indication of measurement noise.

7 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

From the results section:

We noticed that speaking through some masks (particularly the neck fleece) seemed to disperse the largest droplets into a multitude of smaller droplets (see Supplementary Fig. S5), which explains the apparent increase in droplet count relative to no mask in that case. Considering that smaller particles are airborne longer than large droplets (larger droplets sink faster), the use of such a mask might be counterproductive. Furthermore, the performance of the valved N95 mask is likely affected by the exhalation valve, which opens for strong outwards airflow. While the valve does not compromise the protection of the wearer, it can decrease protection of persons surrounding the wearer. In comparison, the performance of the fitted, non-valved N95 mask was far superior.

edit: Kevwun nailed it

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I have a gaiter for fishing and my chin stubble pokes through it.  I imagine it creates more droplets when it's breathed or coughed in to.  Like spraying water through a screen door.  More droplets equal more chances to infect someone.

I have a neck gaiter with a charcoal filter insert.  Im planning on cutting up an N95 to stuff in there instead.  

14 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I have a neck gaiter with a charcoal filter insert.  Im planning on cutting up an N95 to stuff in there instead.  

Dude, just wear a ball gag and stuff cotton in your nose!  JK.  I was fortunate enough when my dad died last year to end up with a box of medical supplies that included 50 surgical masks.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Dude, just wear a ball gag and stuff cotton in your nose!  JK.  I was fortunate enough when my dad died last year to end up with a box of medical supplies that included 50 surgical masks.  

Yea, I've got plenty of masks,  A neck gaiter seems like it will be easier to deal with on a job site than a mask yanking on my ears all day.  

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Haven't seen it posted here yet, but a new study was published on Friday on the efficacy of different face masks and materials for blocking COVID droplets

link

The notable finding is that fleece face coverings and the popular neck gator option were measured to actually create mordroplets than not wearing a mask at all - that is to say they are worse than wearing a mask. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 3.36.09 PM.png

I saw the fleece but not the gaiter result. Can you point it out?

52 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

If you look carefully gaiter is defined as fleece.

That confused me. What I call 'fleece' is not what my neck gaiter (Buff) is made of.

I wear an N95 when I go inside places, and I usually pull my Buff over that, it looks a lot better. But maybe now that makes me look like I aint doin it right.

7 hours ago, Fletch said:

So I talked to an old friend of mine from high school for the first time in a few years. He apparently got conned by trump and he’s now a devoted member of the quote. Anyways, he was telling me this covid pandemic is really a liberal hoax to hide the real virus. Abortion. Yes. He thinks there’s an epidemic of.....abortions. 

You need a new friend.  There’s no cure for stupidity.

https://today.statesman.com/express/monday--aug--10--2020/11?utm_source=express-edition&utm_medium=email

When the latest coronavirus emerged, Jason McLellan and his team were ready to take action.

McLellan, an associate professor of molecular biosciences at the University of Texas, has been studying respiratory diseases for years. In 2017, McLellan’s postdoctoral researcher Nianshuang Wang identified genetic mutations necessary to stabilize a key component of diseases like MERS, also a coronavirus.

So when Chinese researchers shared the genetic sequence of the new coronavirus on Jan. 10, UT researchers were able to quickly map the virus and inject it with previously-discovered mutations, allowing the researchers to freeze a key protein in a way that would become essential for creating a vaccine.

“Now every pretty much everybody’s using them,” McLellan said. “I think four of the five leading coronavirus vaccines all contain the stabilizing proteins my lab designed.”

Several major companies, bankrolled by billions of dollars from the federal government, are in a race to complete clinical trials for their version of a coronavirus vaccine. It can normally take years for a vaccine to pass through clinical tests before it becomes available to the public, but the process has been expedited over the past several months for coronavirus vaccine candidates from companies including Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, Novavax and Moderna.

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

https://today.statesman.com/express/monday--aug--10--2020/11?utm_source=express-edition&utm_medium=email

When the latest coronavirus emerged, Jason McLellan and his team were ready to take action.

McLellan, an associate professor of molecular biosciences at the University of Texas, has been studying respiratory diseases for years. In 2017, McLellan’s postdoctoral researcher Nianshuang Wang identified genetic mutations necessary to stabilize a key component of diseases like MERS, also a coronavirus.

So when Chinese researchers shared the genetic sequence of the new coronavirus on Jan. 10, UT researchers were able to quickly map the virus and inject it with previously-discovered mutations, allowing the researchers to freeze a key protein in a way that would become essential for creating a vaccine.

“Now every pretty much everybody’s using them,” McLellan said. “I think four of the five leading coronavirus vaccines all contain the stabilizing proteins my lab designed.”

Several major companies, bankrolled by billions of dollars from the federal government, are in a race to complete clinical trials for their version of a coronavirus vaccine. It can normally take years for a vaccine to pass through clinical tests before it becomes available to the public, but the process has been expedited over the past several months for coronavirus vaccine candidates from companies including Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, Novavax and Moderna.

That's pretty cool.  Hope UT gets paid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

https://today.statesman.com/express/monday--aug--10--2020/2?utm_source=express-edition&utm_medium=email

By
Asher Price
Monday at 6:20 PM

More than a fifth of Texans taking the coronavirus test are currently testing positive, according to new state statistics.

Over the past week, the average rate of Texans testing positive for the virus among those tested — known as the positivity rate — was reported on Monday as 21%.

State health officials on Monday also reported 31 additional deaths attributed to the coronavirus, bringing the pandemic death toll in Texas to 8,490.

Those deaths occurred over the week to 10 days prior to when they were reported as state officials are now using death certificates to tally COVID-19 fatalities.

The figures released Monday are a departure from recent fatality tallies, which have approached 300. On Friday, the state reported 293 deaths from COVID-19.

A spokesman for the Texas Department of State Health Services said there have been "very low death numbers on Mondays" — possibly, he said, because few death certificates are filed on Sundays.

Officials also announced 4,455 new known COVID-19 cases, bringing the current statewide tally to 490,817 cases. Only two other states — California and Florida — have reported more cases.

Slightly less than 7,500 people were being treated for COVID-19 in Texas hospitals, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services. That continues a downward trend seen since mid-July, when more than 10,000 people were hospitalized in Texas with COVID-19.

The 21% positivity rate is part of a two-week uptick since the end of July, when the rate hovered around 12%.

Gov. Greg Abbott, who issued a statewide mask mandate in early July amid a rapid rise in cases and hospitalizations, has said anything over 10% is cause for concern.

On Monday, Abbott took to Twitter to remind Texans that there are over 1,740 testing sites statewide.

The high positivity rates suggest that the coronavirus is spreading not only through cities but also rural areas — that "we're going through a peak here in Texas," said Luis Ostrosky, professor of infectious disease and epidemiology at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston.

Another explanation is that "we're experiencing what I call 'test fatigue,'" he said. "People think it's a hassle, that they don't really need to be tested unless they have symptoms. If the people getting tested have symptoms, if they're the ones willing to go through the trouble to get tested, that increases the pre-test likelihood of a positive. Only people that are symptomatic are really motivated to know are the ones going to get tested."

The number of tests administered statewide has dropped precipitously.

The number of tests administered statewide has dropped precipitously to a seven-day daily average of 34,200 on Sunday from a seven-day average high of over 66,000 reported on July 23.

"I've always thought you're never going to get a handle on this outbreak until the testing is painless and ubiquitous — at the doctor's office, at your workplace, at school. It's still kind of a big production, you have to stand in line for a couple of hours, and sometimes you don't get results quickly."

Results of tests in the Austin area have taken as long as two weeks.

Holy shit!

Edited by Gatorubet

11 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Yea, I've got plenty of masks,  A neck gaiter seems like it will be easier to deal with on a job site than a mask yanking on my ears all day.  

To each their own.  I started with a neck gaiter back in March but found that much material hugging my face and neck too hot in Texas.  It seemed like it was the hardest to breathe in.

We should all want to see Russia roll that shit out as widely as possible. The tech they are using is in concept very similar to the Oxford approach, an adenovirus vector that was originally developed for Ebola.  There are some key differences, but very similar in concept. Let the fucking Russians take the first crack at the first real world safety study. If they start growing vodka paws out of their forehead it will be an important safety signal that we can use.  In reality, I think that we are all on the same timeline, these are just using semantics to spike the football on the west and claim that they were first to space.   

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yep--Imma gonna rush right out and get injected with an untested Russian vaccine.

Lot's of people rushing out to enroll in Phase III trials here.  This is really not that different.  The western media is really getting worked up about this. Which was precisely the point of the announcement I think. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Lot's of people rushing out to enroll in Phase III trials here.  This is really not that different.  The western media is really getting worked up about this. Which was precisely the point of the announcement I think. 

Yeah--I'm not doing that, either.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah--I'm not doing that, either.

Roger that.  I've considered giving it a run myself, but I ain't going to all that trouble just to be randomized to placebo.  Russia is essentially running their Phase III live in real world.  

2km.gif

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/europe/russia-coronavirus-vaccine-approval-intl/index.html

Just a few minor concerns: “despite concerns about its safety, effectiveness and over whether the country has cut essential corners in development...” 

Trump should prove his loyalty to Putin by volunteering to take the Russian vaccine. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Trump should prove his loyalty to Putin by volunteering to take the Russian vaccine. 

Y’all know Trump is going to buy Putin’s entire stock, right?

”Your scientists do great work, you don’t want to keep any for yourself?”

”No no, people here very strong and don’t like medicine. You take all and be American hero.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

What starts here unfucks the world.

• Hook 'Em 4

i read “what starts here unfucks the world” aloud  in Cronkite’s voice and it tested “awesome”

Edited by Lobo