CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

9 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Dr Fauci at the close of that excerpt:

”This is a unique situation.”

I’m picturing Charles Grodin:” Get out! Get out while you still can.”

What a position he’s in here. At least they took the prohibition off him for interviews, but Atlas (the brain MRI guy) is dangerous. 

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy cow.  Texas is underreporting Covid-19 deaths by 42%?  Probably more, since that article stopped reporting data in late summer.  Greg Abbott, fuck that guy.

You inability to understand the written word is apparently not limited to my writing. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

What did I get wrong?  I have apparently hit a limit on free views for that site.

What good would it do for me to explain it to you?  Your post was not accurate. Texas is not under counting deaths by 42%. Unsurprisingly, you miss the point of the article. 

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Screenshot-2020-10-03-094905.jpg

You know what I meant. The US per capita is climbing compared to other countries. Meaning while we are at #10 now, we will be #9 soon, and so on. 

My point being maybe everyone should continue to wear a mask. Nice graph though 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

What good would it do for me to explain it to you?  Your post was not accurate. Texas is not under counting deaths by 42%. Unsurprisingly, you miss the point of the article. 

Oh, fuck off.  The point of the article was that Texas' "gap" in reporting is huge when comparing official numbers to death certificates.  Blaming that on normal lag is bullshit.  You know this.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, fuck off.  The point of the article was that Texas' "gap" in reporting is huge when comparing official numbers to death certificates.  Blaming that on normal lag is bullshit.  You know this.

So you stand by your post that Texas is under counting deaths by 42% or no?

Just now, Anastasis said:

So you stand by your post that Texas is under counting deaths by 42% or no?

It's under-reporting them by an inexcusable amount.  (I don't know if this has been rectified.)

You're a data guy -- doesn't the fact that by August the actual death toll was 70% higher than the reported death toll bother you?

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's under-reporting them by an inexcusable amount.  (I don't know if this has been rectified.)

You're a data guy -- doesn't the fact that by August the actual death toll was 70% higher than the reported death toll bother you?

I understand data lag in mortality reporting. The mortality data I have used from the NDI is actually lagged 12+ months until it is considered stable. It is not me that is missing the point. We are not undercounting deaths by 42%. 

Underreporting is not undercounting.  WTF?

Did the article not contrast Texas to California, New York, Florida and other hard hit states in terms of reporting gap?  Did Texas not fare considerably worse in that regard?

I'm honestly baffled as to why you're tilting at this particular windmill.  What did YOU think the point of the article was?

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Would love to hear your explanation of the difference. 

Would love to hear why you seem to be OK with the actual death count in late summer being 70% higher than the official "reported" death count.  Do I have this wrong?

I believe the article cited something like a 6% differential for New York at the peak of their lag.  Is there a good explanation, besides intentionally slow-reporting the data, for New York's reported death count to be so much closer to current than Texas' version?

@Anastasis I know we are all shitty and pissy (and dare I say Surly?) watching this awful game. That said, telling someone they are wrong and have no reading comprehension while not saying why is bad form. Exceptions certainly apply with clear trolls. I am sure you have history with jimmyjazz but I think you would probably agree that he's not a troll, just a misguided Cardinals fan.

23 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I am sure you have history with jimmyjazz but I think you would probably agree that he's not a troll, just a misguided Cardinals fan.

Jimmy self admittedly struggles with reading comprehension. He blames this deficiency on others. When asked to point out the exact nature of his struggles, he punts. But tell me about bad form. 

[mention=179]Anastasis[/mention] I know we are all shitty and pissy (and dare I say Surly?) watching this awful game. That said, telling someone they are wrong and have no reading comprehension while not saying why is bad form. Exceptions certainly apply with clear trolls. I am sure you have history with jimmyjazz but I think you would probably agree that he's not a troll, just a misguided Cardinals fan.

This reminds me that I am the inspiration for the site name.

Oh, and monitoring of cardiac, liver and kidney functions demonstrates "continued normal findings or improving findings".

This is code language for "at some point he has had abnormal cardiac, liver, or kidney functions".

These fuckers are just throwing out doublespeak and expecting us to buy it.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, and monitoring of cardiac, liver and kidney functions demonstrates "continued normal findings or improving findings".

This is code language for "at some point he has had abnormal cardiac, liver, or kidney functions".

These fuckers are just throwing out doublespeak and expecting us to buy it.

Maybe they just don't want to get our hopes up if he does manage to pull through?

This is a good BBC article

It's a story of Tony Vargas (a Nebraska State Senator), his father who died of Covid, and Tony's fight to get legislation requiring meat packing plants to adhere to CDC guidelines.  

Tony is is one of my favorite politicians.  

It probably could have expanded on this a bit:

Hours later, after the final gavel had fallen, after the Governor had come to the dais to praise the legislators for passing an abortion method ban and a property tax relief bill, Vargas arrived downstairs in his office. 

In a special session which was called to deal with the COVID health crisis, the Unicameral passed two major bills: 1) property tax "relief", which will further reduce revenue as the government is having to pull back services, and 2) an abortion bill that restricts what types of abortions are allowed in the second trimester, ultimately requiring women to give birth to a second trimester fetus even if the pregnancy is having medical concerns.  Rather than doing anything to deal with COVID, they passed red-meat bills in preparation of the up coming election.  

Recommend the opinion piece, but not if you want to feel all that happy.

[/url]  

Yep. As many of us have been saying. We’re not HEADED for collapse. We’re there. It’s happened. Now, we’re dealing with the effects.

Just a reminder - the United States should be leading the world with the amount of wealth we have generated and efficiency we have attained.
Second wave in New Zealand beaten back: 

That’s because NZ is a functioning nation state. We are not. We’re a shithole oligarchy with a big-ass military.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

This is a good BBC article
It's a story of Tony Vargas (a Nebraska State Senator), his father who died of Covid, and Tony's fight to get legislation requiring meat packing plants to adhere to CDC guidelines.  
Tony is is one of my favorite politicians.  
It probably could have expanded on this a bit:
Hours later, after the final gavel had fallen, after the Governor had come to the dais to praise the legislators for passing an abortion method ban and a property tax relief bill, Vargas arrived downstairs in his office. 
In a special session which was called to deal with the COVID health crisis, the Unicameral passed two major bills: 1) property tax "relief", which will further reduce revenue as the government is having to pull back services, and 2) an abortion bill that restricts what types of abortions are allowed in the second trimester, ultimately requiring women to give birth to a second trimester fetus even if the pregnancy is having medical concerns.  Rather than doing anything to deal with COVID, they passed red-meat bills in preparation of the up coming election.  

Burn the whole thing down...

What does the Nobel Committee announcement for the prize in Physics have to do with COVID? The first 1:13 of this video was nice in the way he addressed the changes they've had to make due to the pandemic. Feel free to watch the whole video it's about 22 minutes, but the first minute was refreshing compared to the way some folks treat the topic.  The Live portion has ended, but if you click it takes you to the video. Congrats to the winners.

• Hook 'Em 1