CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Yeah, it’s not looking pretty... family just called off Christmas for anyone flying in, so the misses and I get two weeks to do whatever the fuck we please.

Can’t believe the number of people who flew home last weekend... the airports at Christmas are going to be a complete cluster!

8 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Part of being a credible person or a credible source of information is being able to objectively give credit where it's due. Trump (or probably his team) put forth operation Warp Speed. Every other president in history and just about any 100+ IQ person would have done the same. It's not a big accomplishment. It's not exceptional. It's table stakes. Still, it's a sign of objectivity and sanity to be able to say "He's still the worst president in over a century, but okay, sure, he did that one thing right". 

Part of the reason for the division in the country is the inability for either side, or the media for that matter, to give any sort of credit where due. It's forced the media into a boy-who-cried-wolf corner and it's a large part of the bunker mentality everyone has. 

It's okay to say that Trump, an awful human being and president, managed to stumble into doing one thing right. If the tables were turned and it was a Democratic president doing it and guys like GRHorn or Enchubben were saying "he deserves no credit for Warp Speed", this entire board would be losing its collective mind.

I fully expect to get attacked for this and shrieked at like I'm some sort of Trump supporter, which is both fine and dumb as fuck. Carry on.

That tweet is misleading imo. The states are responsible for determining the prioritization of the target populations for vaccination within their state. They have recommendations from cdc acip (meeting today to finalize) as well as the input of their own state boards. Everyone agrees that health care workers come first, after that I think it is not unreasonable that there will some appropriate regional variation in prioritization. This exactly what federalism looks like. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BradInATX said:
13 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:
Except that Bush had almost 8 years to kill Bin Laden and didn’t.
To say that Trump did something extraordinary here is ridiculous.  Any president would have dumped a bunch of money into Big Pharma and told them to be quick about it.  Dolly Parton did more than Trump did.

I mean I think I stated pretty explicitly that it wasn't something extraordinary he did.

Denying it was a problem through all of February, even calling it a Democratic hoax on Feb 28; not invoking the DPA to produce PPE and Covid tests; discouraging the wearing of masks; urging a reduction in testing; pretending that the pandemic was over at the RNC and even declaring in the days just before the election that Covid talk would dissapear immediately after the election -- that was extraordinary. But yeah, someone got him to give a bunch of money to the drug companies to produce a vaccine. So...good for him, I guess. He still cost tens of thousands of Americans their lives because of his incompetence and inaction. 

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Denying it was a problem through all of February, even calling it a Democratic hoax on Feb 28; not invoking the DPA to produce PPE and Covid tests; discouraging the wearing of masks; urging a reduction in testing; pretending that the pandemic was over at the RNC and even declaring in the days just before the election that Covid talk would dissapear immediately after the election -- that was extraordinary. But yeah, someone got him to give a bunch of money to the drug companies to produce a vaccine. So...good for him, I guess. He still cost tens of thousands of Americans their lives because of his incompetence and inaction. 

Of course. Who are you arguing with?

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Very relatable. Thanks for posting this.

Sometimes you see the lights turn on in their brains when obviously bigoted patients realize and process that a big queermo has been taking part in saving their lives. It can be very satisfying if/when that happens. But after this year, and after so much willful ignorance, disinformation, and flat out denial of basic scientific truths and a communal need for action from large subsets of our population (even here in Austin!), that internal reflex of "they came for help and you are the help and it doesn't matter what their personal beliefs are" has been significantly dulled. It takes a more conscious call to action now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Shit. Maybe I did have it in early February. 

15 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

A good friend and his wife swear they had it in late January. He was at a conference in FL with a large contingent from China. His wife lost taste/smell well before that was a publicized symptom. 

14 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I was in the NE for 10 days during Jan/Feb.  Came back and had strep, which I’ve never had my entire life.  (Wife never caught strep.). I’ve thought I might have developed strep due to weakened immune system from covid.  Timeline never matched up but wilt that WSJ story, it does.

14 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Interesting.  I was really, really sick last December, after a 4 day trip to Chicago.  It started w/ a dry, hacking cough like I'd never had, my temp ran up to 103.  Went to a clinic and they prescribed Tamiflu and some anti-biotics. I didn't lost my sense of taste but nothing tasted right; really didn't want to eat.  I ran a fever for 4 or so days, rarely left bed; was just flattened. And then I felt weak for a solid month after but I never really considered it covid b/c it was December.  

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I've been leaning this way for a while now.  We did the "family virus" in February and although it was different for all 6 of us, there were a ton of common symptoms with covid.  I had a dry cough for a month and fatigue.  I've brushed it off as some kind of rhinovirus or similar, but I still wonder.

An antibody test might provide some peace of mind going forward.

i said it before, but i'll repeat it, i swear i had this thing after ces in january. met with plenty of chinese clients, shook a bunch of hands, the whole trade show thing. came back and a week later, was dry hacking for about a week. then my wife developed a cough, and my boys too. after about two weeks, it kind of went away, but it was exhausting. i thought it was just january - february allergies, but i've come to think that it was covid. haven't bothered with the antibody test, because people can still get it again, right?

27 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The wishcasting colds and flus into Covid cracks me up.

And don't get me wrong, I've done it myself every time I've even had a cough. "Welp, I just coughed! Got some antibodies now. Off to the bar!"

In my case, it was far and away the most unusual cough I've ever had.  Completely dry, no mucus production, lasted weeks.  Sometimes you just say "hmmm".

One caveat to mine is that I never get sick.  Literally never.  Sure, I’ve had a stomach bug once in a decade but never had the flu, never had strep, never had flu shot, nothing.  Never even a cold.  Then, all of a sudden I get strep in February and later learned I was around a lot of people that would later be positive for COVID.

34 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

And don't get me wrong, I've done it myself every time I've even had a cough. "Welp, I just coughed! Got some antibodies now. Off to the bar!"

Yeah I was sick as a dog in January/February but had no antibodies when I was tested in June. But also, I usually get a very bad cold or flu every winter. That wasn't the worst I've had in the last decade. It is funny that everyone seems to forget that other illnesses still exist, especially in Winter 2019 before anyone was socially distancing or mask wearing.  2019/2020 was a regular old flu season still.

31 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

It is funny.  It might be the first year in my adult life I didn't get a Summer cold.  I haven't been sick at all during this whole thing.  If I had it then I was definitely asymp.

Same here. I'm actually enjoying not getting colds regularly. I'd like to see 2 things stick around after this. 1) If you're sick at all, then don't go to the office and make half the office sick too.  You arent a trooper. You're an asshole. 2) Always wear masks on public transportation. Neither will happen though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

it's not that farfetched, dude:

https://mashable.com/article/covid-19-coronavirus-spreading-at-ces/

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

It's not. But Covid definitely has everyone running around thinking they already had it. Most on this board are more informed than the general public but I've got buddies that clearly had a cold and think they're in the clear. Good for a laugh.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

It is funny.  It might be the first year in my adult life I didn't get a Summer cold.  I haven't been sick at all during this whole thing.  If I had it then I was definitely asymp.

Same here. I've been healthier this year than any year I can remember (except for the massive increase in alcohol consumption).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Same here. I've been healthier this year than any year I can remember (except for the massive increase in alcohol consumption).

I'm actually feeling worse.  Why?  Because we have a damned cat.  And I'm allergic to the cat.  Usually, not a huge problem -- I'm out of the house for 12+ hours a day at work, and most of the time I'm home, I'm sleeping in our room which has a super air filter installed.  But now?  I'm home 24/7.  Including my office, which doesn't have an air filter.  So, every morning, I wake up with gunk in my throat, and hack up gunk, because fucking allergies.  So, irony of ironies - working at home is slightly WORSE for my health.  Fucking annoying.

21 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's not. But Covid definitely has everyone running around thinking they already had it. Most on this board are more informed than the general public but I've got buddies that clearly had a cold and think they're in the clear. Good for a laugh.

This.  I went on a ski vacation with a few friends last NYE in the Northeast.  One of my friends got really sick, with a fever, and horrible cough.  To the point she had multiple doctor visits, antibiotics, steroids, etc.  Nothing worked and it lasted for months.  Convinced it was covid.  But antibody tests were negative.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I have been healthier in terms of getting sick.  In fact, somehow I was able to miss the flu last Jan-Feb when everyone in my household had it.  However, despite my best efforts I have been gaining weight steadily.  I can't blame it all on Covid as it started with a mild back injury last September when I weighed a mere 180lbs.  I held steady at 190 up until October and then just ballooned to 200.

Alcohol is the culprit, of course.

My wife went for a walk with some friends a few weeks ago and they did a show of hands with who was drinking daily and it was all of them.  The only varying factor was time of day said drinking started.  good times. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i said it before, but i'll repeat it, i swear i had this thing after ces in january. met with plenty of chinese clients, shook a bunch of hands, the whole trade show thing. came back and a week later, was dry hacking for about a week. then my wife developed a cough, and my boys too. after about two weeks, it kind of went away, but it was exhausting. i thought it was just january - february allergies, but i've come to think that it was covid. haven't bothered with the antibody test, because people can still get it again, right?

i remember thinking about CES then in Feb when I had my panic and realized shit was borked. and knowing how you homies partied there too. 

i can't get the antibody tests down here but i had though you could Texas no?

20 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I have been healthier in terms of getting sick.  In fact, somehow I was able to miss the flu last Jan-Feb when everyone in my household had it.  However, despite my best efforts I have been gaining weight steadily.  I can't blame it all on Covid as it started with a mild back injury last September when I weighed a mere 180lbs.  I held steady at 190 up until October and then just ballooned to 200.

Alcohol is the culprit, of course.

My wife went for a walk with some friends a few weeks ago and they did a show of hands with who was drinking daily and it was all of them.  The only varying factor was time of day said drinking started.  good times. 

same

if i had to do this year over i'd buy stocks in zoom, telsa and booze. duh. 

but i'd rather not have to do this year over. thanks. 

47 minutes ago, staboner said:

same

if i had to do this year over i'd buy stocks in zoom, telsa and booze. duh. 

but i'd rather not have to do this year over. thanks. 

Is I had to do it over I'd have bought way more bitcoin than I did. Back in March/April bought a couple thousand dollars worth at about 7.5k per. Now it's over 20k per

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Remember when Russia said it had a vaccine and we laughed collectively about how stupid they are and how it was impossible to have a vaccine so soon? And we laughed at Trump's stupidity for saying we would have a vaccine by the end of the year or even before the election?

I do, fun times.

32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Remember when Russia said it had a vaccine and we laughed collectively about how stupid they are and how it was impossible to have a vaccine so soon? And we laughed at Trump's stupidity for saying we would have a vaccine by the end of the year or even before the election?

I do, fun times.

I remember when he refused federal aid to states that didn't vote for him and stole the PPE they bought to give to his campaign donors.

32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

And we laughed at Trump's stupidity for saying we would have a vaccine by the end of the year

We laughed when he was saying in Sept/Oct that a vaccine might be generally available by November 3rd. The first round being available to healthcare workers by January 1, 2021 was never far fetched. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Trump is going to absolutely lose his shit that he wasn't first. 

Just gives him more ammo to lob grenades at the FDA.

I think that their pacing has been generally appropriate, but let's be honest, we could have had approval with roll out Nov 1 without the FDA slow rolling things at various points.

They pushed back on PFE's initial interim analysis plan, delaying the first interim look at the data until ~ Nov 8.   Under the original plan the first interim look would have probably taken place mid October. Navel gazing and negotiating about spending alpha on an interim look and the two month run out (or whatever their specific concerns actually were) probably set it back 3 weeks or so. 

The two week notice period for the Advisory Committee board delays any FDA action until after Dec 10 (for PFE) and Dec 17 (for MRNA).

FDA will take a few days after the Advisory Committee to formalize the EUA, then vax can start rolling out, so PFE Dec 14+ or so and maybe MRNA by Dec 20th.  

All approximate dates, and speculation of course on what the planned interim look would have shown and whether it would have justified an application, but if you want to monday morning quarterback it, that's ~45 days +/-.

On the balance, I think that the approach was prudent to avoid push back about moving too fast, but they are going to get that criticism one way or the other. Meanwhile, during the 45 day period approximately 150k+ cases per day and 1500 deaths per day. A Nov 1 roll out would have meant that the first health care workers that volunteered to be vaxxed under the EUA would be fully immunized by now.

At a minimum, let the FDA issue the EUA and then do the AdComm on the back end a few weeks later and you can pull down the EUA if absolutely necessary.  Under that scenario we would have people getting their second shot of the series this week.    

Edited by Anastasis