CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/masks-in-texas-austin-attorney-general/269-ea676381-5e3f-4c1d-9d8c-f6de5c423fdd

i fucking hate this toolbag.

AUSTIN, Texas — Less than a day after the City of Austin announced it would continue enforcing a face mask mandate despite Gov. Greg Abbott lifting statewide COVID-19 safety restrictions starting Wednesday, the Texas attorney general is vowing to take action.

"The state-wide mask mandate is lifted today," the attorney general's office tweeted on Wednesday. "Yet once again, [Mayor Steve Adler] and [Travis County Judge Andy Brown] are trying to figure how they can buck state law and resist [Gov. Abbott]. We're looking at every avenue available to stop them. More to come."

A few hours later, AG Ken Paxton issued a letter stating that local leaders have until 6 p.m. Wednesday to rescind mask mandates or business-operating restrictions, or else he will sue.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Add soon as Wheelie announced the removal of all restrictions last week I went out of my way to drive over 6 hours round trip to get the vaccine in west Texas last weekend. I was willing to wait for my demographics' turn as long as we kept things status quo in the state but once he announced full Thunderdome rules it's every mofo for himself. 

My son is somewhat immuno compromised (he's had ongoing issues with a case of mono, and we're working with docs to make sure there's no serious underlying immunity disorder).  But with the gates opening, we're not taking any chances -- he arguably falls under 1B, so he's getting a shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well, so far both our school district and our soccer club have told Abbott to eat shit, and they are keeping the mask protocols in place. 

That's consistent with the order, right?  "Private" entities can mandate mask usage, or not.  It's the Austin/Travis County mandate that runs afoul of Dear Wheeler's dictum.

8 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Same
But Aisd sent out a letter saying they want everyone in person for STAR test.

5 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

That's a mandate from the state as well. School districts don't have the option to let students do STAAR from home. 

which makes sense. 

what doesn't make sense is taking the fucking staar in the first place. the results are going to be horrific. so pointless.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Same
But Aisd sent out a letter saying they want everyone in person for STAR test.

6 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

That's a mandate from the state as well. School districts don't have the option to let students do STAAR from home. 

So they'll make accomodations for everything else under the sun but they have to be in person to take the test. 

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

12 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

which makes sense. 

what doesn't make sense is taking the fucking staar in the first place. the results are going to be horrific. so pointless.

THESE....are so fucking stupid.

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

which makes sense. 

Functionally it's going to be pointless, but the amateur data scientist in me is saying that will still be a useful datum for gauging the real educational impact of COVID. Especially since there's a historical control group from the non-COVID years.

But it is terrible policy and not good for the teachers or students to require the test this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:
4 hours ago, Js1 said:
So glad COVID is over!

DFW area is going all out freedom mode.

No, those tight asses that run the Rangers know the team sucks balls this year and opening day is the one day they're guaranteed to sell out. 

4 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

100%, near virtual certainty. We passed this point a long time ago.

Covid has far too many animal vectors it can hide out in. Even if we could somehow knock out every human case on the planet, it's still going to circulate in an animal host and reappear. McConnell/Fox and other right wing media left a malignant narcissist at the wheel and killed a shitload of people, with many yet to come.

Unfortunately, elections do have consequences. 

• Rage+1 1

If we had the balls to call the audible as a vax policy matter on those previously infected with COVID, esp in areas where the COVID rates were high, we could stretch those MRNA shots significantly. This is like the 7th or 8th study showing the same thing. 

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If we had the balls to call the audible as a vax policy matter on those previously infected with COVID, esp in areas where the COVID rates were high, we could stretch those MRNA shots significantly. This is like the 7th or 8th study showing the same thing. 

Make sure I have this right. If you have had it and survived you're ahead of the curve and are getting the results of the second shot on the first one?

• Hook 'Em 1

It was observed anecdotally during first wave vax of health care workers that those with previous covid infection were responding to first dose with reactions expected after second dose. The immunological data appear to confirm that the immune response also corresponds. Which strongly suggests that among people with prior covid they only need one shot to get to same point as those without infection but two shots. 

28 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Follow up question. Does this suggest some latent antibody program in the Rna whosit that just needs a kickstart? 

This suggests that essentially a prior covid infection is equivalent to a prime+ dose of the vaccine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

It was observed anecdotally during first wave vax of health care workers that those with previous covid infection were responding to first dose with reactions expected after second dose. The immunological data appear to confirm that the immune response also corresponds. Which strongly suggests that among people with prior covid they only need one shot to get to same point as those without infection but two shots. 

. . . which also could indicate that the crowing about "robust immune systems" by those who had strong side effects to dose #1 was, in fact, reflective of people who were previously infected with covid.

Not that it's some kind of contest, it isn't, but it's interesting how people will seek comforting explanations to their personal experiences, science be damned.  "I had fatigue and a fever, my immune system is kicking ass."

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . which also could indicate that the crowing about "robust immune systems" by those who had strong side effects to dose #1 was, in fact, reflective of people who were previously infected with covid.

Not that it's some kind of contest, it isn't, but it's interesting how people will seek comforting explanations to their personal experiences, science be damned.  "I had fatigue and a fever, my immune system is kicking ass."

My default assumption is that people having significant reactions to first in most cases already had it. Maybe they were symptomless but if you are rolling around in your bed with chills after first dose my suspicion is high. Of course there will be outliers. But generally speaking I think that probably right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Yeah, this happened this evening:

EwJ9IoJXMAYV_Pm?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-takes-credit-vaccine

No, what I remember is you downplaying the threat because you were afraid it would tank the stock market and ruin your re-election bid and cost you a bunch of money on your investments.  So over half a million Americans died while you played golf and blamed China and embarrassed us daily.  That's your legacy, you stupid, selfish bag of fat.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

No, what I remember is you downplaying the threat because you were afraid it would tank the stock market and ruin your re-election bid and cost you a bunch of money on your investments.  So over half a million Americans died while you played golf and blamed China and embarrassed us daily.  That's your legacy, you stupid, selfish bag of fat.

And he still lost. So that’s that. 

7 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

He'll likely release a statement saying those 4 Presidents should be thanking him for doing what none of them got done while in office, greenlighting a vaccination effort for Covid-19.  

I'd love for Obama to fuck with Trump and tell him, "Oh shoot, Donald.  You should have been there with us to get the shots and do the ad...I mean, this is totally your baby.  Man, my bad.  I'll totally DM you next time.  (looks down at phone).  Remind me your facebook or twitter handle again, I'll totally hit you up."  

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

My default assumption is that people having significant reactions to first in most cases already had it. Maybe they were symptomless but if you are rolling around in your bed with chills after first dose my suspicion is high. Of course there will be outliers. But generally speaking I think that probably right. 

I guess they just want to make sure this first go around as some people were symptomless and others like me probably received false negative tests. My mom tested negative twice then a month later had a physical and tested positive for the antibodies. I tested negative once even though I was so lethargic I could barely walk up the stairs in my house back in November and then that first shot knocked me into terrible fatigue for 2 days. 

• Fuck You 1

My son's high school teacher bailed out in the middle of a class this week after students refused to wear masks in her classroom. Apparently several students took up the Cult 45 mantra and the teacher had a breakdown. The teacher walked out of the classroom and has not returned.

Getting different messaging from the Superintendent, school board, principal and teachers. Complete shit show.

• Rage+1 5

1 minute ago, F250 said:

My son's high school teacher bailed out in the middle of a class this week after students refused to wear masks in her classroom. Apparently several students took up the Cult 45 mantra and the teacher had a breakdown. The teacher walked out of the classroom and has not returned.

Getting different messaging from the Superintendent, school board, principal and teachers. Complete shit show.

No fucking way I could've ever been a teacher.  I think I could keep from kicking the shit out of the students, but the parents?  Not so much.  You know that's where the Cult 45 comes from.  

Cunts 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Make sure I have this right. If you have had it and survived you're ahead of the curve and are getting the results of the second shot on the first one?

Yes, but any policy needs to keep in mind that if you had it and did not survive then the inverse is true.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Happy Rudy Gobert Day! If anyone made their mark on getting things shutdown it was Rudy and the NBA. That's when it felt real for the first time. 

The Rodeo shutting down in the afternoon was the appetizer for the Gobert/Tom Hanks main course later that night.  What a wild fucking day.

15 hours ago, Pods said:

100%, near virtual certainty. We passed this point a long time ago.

Covid has far too many animal vectors it can hide out in. Even if we could somehow knock out every human case on the planet, it's still going to circulate in an animal host and reappear. McConnell/Fox and other right wing media left a malignant narcissist at the wheel and killed a shitload of people, with many yet to come.

Unfortunately, elections do have consequences. 

Trump’s negligence directly led to 100’s of thousands of unnecessary deaths, but Covid’s becoming endemic  was inevitable. Infectious disease researchers were predicting it this time last year. It’s pretty much impossible to eradicate a human disease that can hide out in animal populations 

• Hook 'Em 1