CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Thoughts and prayers.

https://people.com/politics/sarah-palin-tests-positive-coronavirus-urges-others-wear-masks/

Sarah Palin has tested positive for COVID-19, and she's urging others to continue taking the pandemic seriously.

The former governor of Alaska and 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee-turned-TV personality confirms in a statement to PEOPLE that she contracted the coronavirus as did some of her family members, including 12-year-old son Trig. 

Palin, 57 — who is a mom to five children with ex-husband Todd — says her case is proof that "anyone can catch this."

As confident as I'd like to be about my own health, and despite my joking that I'm blessed to constantly breathe in the most sterile (frozen!) air, my case is perhaps one of those that proves anyone can catch this," she says.

Of her diagnosis, Palin explains that it began when "one of my daughters awoke to having lost her sense of taste and smell [and] immediately had a positive COVID test, then was quarantined in isolation.

"I then observed symptoms in my son Trig, who curiously is the most enthusiastic mask-wearer, and after our numerous negative tests over the year, he tested positive," Palin says. "Children with special needs are vulnerable to COVID ramifications [Trig was born with Down syndrome], so with a high fever he was prescribed azithromycin, which really seemed to help, and I increased amounts of vitamins I put in his puréed food."

Palin says she and her son "buckled down in isolated quarantine" and she "still tested negative." However, "symptoms started overnight with a slight fever and sore muscles." 

She adds that she had some of the "bizarre" symptoms characteristic of the virus, like a loss of taste and smell, leading her to assume it was "unmistakable COVID caught me."

"That day I finally tested positive — like millions of other Americans," she says.

Spoiler

Palin tells PEOPLE that COVID-19 can "really knock you down," encouraging everyone to remain vigilant about public health amid the ongoing pandemic.

"I strongly encourage everyone to use common sense to avoid spreading this and every other virus out there," she says in her statement. "There are more viruses than there are stars in the sky, meaning we'll never avoid every source of illness or danger ... But please be vigilant, don't be frightened, and I advise reprioritizing some personal time and resources to ensure as healthy a lifestyle as you can create so when viruses do hit, you have at least some armor to fight it."

Palin, who announced in January that her mother, Sally, had died, says that dad Chuck Heath "just got" his second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. 

"I'm more concerned about him and his peers, and this beautiful older generation's health and quality of life should be a national focus and priority," she says.

In a plea to others to continue wearing masks in public, Palin joked about her surprise appearance on The Masked Singer last year. (Mask-wearing has become a divisive issue among leading conservatives — a skepticism first fueled by former President Donald Trump.) 

"Through it all, I view wearing that cumbersome mask indoors in a crowd as not only allowing the newfound luxury of being incognito, but trust it's better than doing nothing to slow the spread," Palin says. "And history will show we Masked Singer visitors were masked before being masked was cool."

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

At some point, it's legally actionable.  Purposefully disseminating falsehoods to harm public health?  Sure the bar on that shouldn't be low....but wherever it is, he is fucking 10 miles above it.

FREEDUMB OF SPEACH!

On 3/31/2021 at 5:51 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

There has been a lot of these crimes related to Asian Americans here in NYC.  A lot of them are filmed.  This one today, they have a clear view of the guy right before he gets to her.  NYPD are asking for information to find him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/national/video-shows-asian-american-woman-attacked-in-new-york-city/2021/03/30/8ae17d0f-9e1a-4d0f-9b8e-83a9b65c739a_video.html

They found him. Apparently, he is on lifetime parole for stabbing his mother to death in 2002, for which he did 17 years. Hard for me to understand what he’s doing walking around.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/suspect-sought-attack-asian-american-woman-nyc-76783210

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

They found him. Apparently, he is on lifetime parole for stabbing his mother to death in 2002, for which he did 17 years. Hard for me to understand what he’s doing walking around.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/suspect-sought-attack-asian-american-woman-nyc-76783210

he just assured he won't be anymore

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I had never heard of this person, but he seems like he sucks. What kind of smoothbrain do you have to be to listen to a novelist and essayist prattle on about how mRNA works or even about math? 

Have you met the morons that are the heart of America?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So, it sounds like this guy who did this has a history of violence, and it would not shock me to find out there is an undiagnosed mental illness.  A guy like this, that they paroled to become homeless, is a fucking problem and has no business being paroled back into the city.  The system is fucking broken.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I had never heard of this person, but he seems like he sucks. What kind of smoothbrain do you have to be to listen to a novelist and essayist prattle on about how mRNA works or even about math? 

Half of FOX News viewers can’t even spell mRNA.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm on the local county/only Hospital in town's alert system for if/when "you can schedule an appointment."  Unlike Texas (it seems) Oregon still in the "must be a frontline worker, very very old, or have underlying health conditions."  So I haven't been expecting anything. Just got a text saying "you can have your appointment now."  Yay!  Immediately go to the website, click on the "available time" and get "sorry, nothing available."  Wondering how many thousands they sent that text to at the same time. 

#csb

#vaccinetease

Heard a story on NPR this morning about some task force to encourage people to get vaccines.  Motherfuckers I have been encouraged for some time now, just give me the damn thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Christmas in April -- I just got a notice from Austin Public Health that they auto-scheduled dose #2 on Wednesday.

Problem is, I don't know if it's Moderna.  Austin 3-1-1 says APH only does Moderna, and the email cautioned about a 28 day interval between vaccines, so it adds up, but still . . .

Furthermore, I didn't get dose #1 there, so I'm a little leery about skipping my Tuesday dose in B/CS.  I put in a call for more info and hope they get back to me, I do NOT want to make that drive.

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Christmas in April -- I just got a notice from Austin Public Health that they auto-scheduled dose #2 on Wednesday.

Problem is, I don't know if it's Moderna.  Austin 3-1-1 says APH only does Moderna, and the email cautioned about a 28 day interval between vaccines, so it adds up, but still . . .

Furthermore, I didn't get dose #1 there, so I'm a little leery about skipping my Tuesday dose in B/CS.  I put in a call for more info and hope they get back to me, I do NOT want to make that drive.

You'll be fine. They make you full out the paperwork again and ask to make sure your first shot was Moderna. I got my second dose of it from APH last weekend at Delco. My first dose was at Dove Springs. This time, however, the line was MUCH longer. Bring some bottled water with you.

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm on the local county/only Hospital in town's alert system for if/when "you can schedule an appointment."  Unlike Texas (it seems) Oregon still in the "must be a frontline worker, very very old, or have underlying health conditions."  So I haven't been expecting anything. Just got a text saying "you can have your appointment now."  Yay!  Immediately go to the website, click on the "available time" and get "sorry, nothing available."  Wondering how many thousands they sent that text to at the same time. 

#csb

#vaccinetease

Heard a story on NPR this morning about some task force to encourage people to get vaccines.  Motherfuckers I have been encouraged for some time now, just give me the damn thing.

Glad to hear that you have a slot! 

I'm in the same frustrating boat... Metro Seattle was the first case and first casualties, and we've been some kind of locked down for over a year now... But it won't be until April 15th that anyone over 16 can sign up for a shot. 

Meanwhile, other states have governors proclaiming that the minimal restrictions that no one paid attention to are now lifted, because "freedum". And some states have surpluses of the vaccine... But I'm at home, unable to take my daughter out for a birthday celebration for the second straight year. 

Getting Old Baby Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

• Rage+1 2

Alabama Basketball lost its leader and face of the Alabama Student section today due to Covid.

He was just in Indiana for March Madness less than a week ago. Now word on if he contracted it while there.

He was tweeting normally until a day or two ago and sounds like it went bad very quickly.

Players and teammates and official Bama Twitter accounts and Nate Oats have posted about what a tremendous loss this is.
fccc32c1807a6c2187af498d7a3a239b.jpg
04483a4e2da083e4fc97fc0976474fbc.jpg
95b5a7ea15b5d71a13efd8d90cde47f3.jpg
a4b2c31381f842cfb3e6549618edfbf5.jpg
e1ded2f890218f01886db41bb01cfb44.jpg
2e14054c7ad3b5f1b791bd18fbee80f9.jpg
1f203289f015aefb2b909c24b4dcf484.jpg
f5bae469266c6224214b9628ccc29be3.jpg
06a73903fb9600fc237bb4aaac400a5f.jpg
2b97ecebbdc2c92772bef76fa6e0ed21.jpg
5b4f999c8236be3bff591a6334e22885.jpg
329e1ec56b54ee523bacdffd9819df8b.jpg
93057046b9250c58264cbf0f37c712c6.jpg
889f24d7d7fee8093e69af585f0d227c.jpg
013438137197ce266fd0756e01cbb1a6.jpg
Covid is still killing people and people don’t seem to care anymore.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

It's Darwin at work, but unfortunately it affects the rest of us too.

Again, empowered stupidity.

“My choices only affect me, so let me make them!” They literally do not only affect you, you fucking morons.

Then you get idiots like GR over in the DT thread arguing against any concept of vaccine passports by arguing “oh, so are we going to require people to disclose whether they have Hep C or HIV?” No, you fucksticks, because neither of those is transmissible by mere proximity. I can stand next to someone with HIV all day long, and I’ll be fine. I stand next to someone with active COVID all day long, and I have a material chance of catching a disease that has a .5% chance of killing me (based on my age and health, and based on what we currently know).

We don’t have to be overly reactionary or restrictive, but goddamn, can we also ditch the empowered stupidity that has zero accounting for how your actions can affect others?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We don’t have to be overly reactionary or restrictive, but goddamn, can we also ditch the empowered stupidity that has zero accounting for how your actions can affect others?

You know the answer to this.

Not sure where to discuss this, but since we have a 'Bama poster or two here...I saw on Reuters that Alabama has a ban on Yoga in public schools because they are afraid it will convert the kids to Hinduism.  That it is a 28 year old law and a bill introduced to get rid of the ban just failed.  Wow.  I mean, wow.  I have an unproven feeling that the same troglodytes fearing the Hinduism infection are anti-mask.

• Haha 1

Ok....so knowing that a certain percentage of the population (those under 16) isn’t even eligible, what percentage of the ELIGIBLE population are we up to?

I suspect that around 80% or so of our population is eligible. If we are at 17% so far....but are now hitting nearly 1% a day, seems we could, in theory get to that 80% by around Memorial Day (yes, I know we won’t hit that 1% each day, and as we get through the eager crowd, that percentage will drop). But maybe we can be at 2/3 of the total population by around then?

And maybe the big question is....if we get to 60-70%, are we pretty much there for dropping most protective measures?

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Ok....so knowing that a certain percentage of the population (those under 16) isn’t even eligible, what percentage of the ELIGIBLE population are we up to?

I suspect that around 80% or so of our population is eligible. If we are at 17% so far....but are now hitting nearly 1% a day, seems we could, in theory get to that 80% by around Memorial Day (yes, I know we won’t hit that 1% each day, and as we get through the eager crowd, that percentage will drop). But maybe we can be at 2/3 of the total population by around then?

And maybe the big question is....if we get to 60-70%, are we pretty much there for dropping most protective measures?

~ 60M are 16 or under.  That's 21%.

image.thumb.png.d887e4215ceabdd8066d8f72ea200df0.png

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Again, empowered stupidity.

“My choices only affect me, so let me make them!” They literally do not only affect you, you fucking morons.

Then you get idiots like GR over in the DT thread arguing against any concept of vaccine passports by arguing “oh, so are we going to require people to disclose whether they have Hep C or HIV?” No, you fucksticks, because neither of those is transmissible by mere proximity. I can stand next to someone with HIV all day long, and I’ll be fine. I stand next to someone with active COVID all day long, and I have a material chance of catching a disease that has a .5% chance of killing me (based on my age and health, and based on what we currently know).

From a capitalist perspective, why wouldn't insurance companies just skyrocket the rates (or deductibles) for people who aren't vaccinated (and their famiies)? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Whenever I read of anti vaccine shit, I just recall how hard it was for some WHO/UNICEF  people I know to get traction in Pakistan to eradicate polio. Strong belief that vaccines were a plot to sterilize Muslims.

So that’s where our local U.S. antivaxxers are on the rational spectrum.  Of course, the CIA really DID use a Hep B vaccine program to try and track down OBL, so our nuts are less rational. 

• Like 1