CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

At current rate, all adults over 18 will be vaccinated by July 2; however, we know that the admin numbers are going to fall quickly as we bump into the vax hesitant. 

People like this are NOT going to help:

I must confess, if I had to listen to that woman speak, I might have blood coming out of my ears....

33 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Anti-vaxx sister just blew up a family text thread about someone in Florida that supposedly died from an allergic reaction to the vaccine.  Sigh.

Give 130 million people anything and you are gonna have some hits. Fucking people are stupid.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Is there data for people who have been vaxed dying of Covid?  Like fully vaxed, catching covid (any variant) and then dying?  - my google-fu is not strong and it is hard to wade through 'has anyone died FROM a covid vax' to see anything meaningful.

Looks like there are vax shots available though CVS in a lot of the bigger Texas cities now

- Ft Worth, San Antonio, Houston, Waco

Dallas and Austin still show fully booked, but anecdotally you can walk in and get one at a lot of places.  Just seems astounding that the data for a lot of states the death rate is climbing.  olds and high risk have been vaxed, how are deaths climbing?  This is from states that have a higher 1 dose and fully vaxed than Texas.  Granted this was just playing around on Google's data sorter.  That's why i want to see if there is a death number for vaxed people or if we can assume that all these people still dying are un-vaxed.

- To me that is the single most powerful number to show anyone who is hesitant about getting vaxed.  "100% of the covid deaths occurring every day are unvaxed fools.  There are still 50 deaths per day in Texas and 750 deaths per day in the US.  none of them were vaxed."

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

People like this are NOT going to help:

I must confess, if I had to listen to that woman speak, I might have blood coming out of my ears....

Or blood coming out of your....whatever.

Seriously, how would this even work?  How would something entirely within the blood stream of person A cause "bleeding oddly" in person B?  How fucking nutty ARE these people?  And sigh, I know.....ALL the nutty.

• Haha 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Or blood coming out of your....whatever.

Seriously, how would this even work?  How would something entirely within the blood stream of person A cause "bleeding oddly" in person B?  How fucking nutty ARE these people?  And sigh, I know.....ALL the nutty.

Does this have to do with females of menstruating age syncing/near syncing their cycles when they live together under the same roof?

• Haha 1

can report mask usage seemed slightly higher in the lake charles walmart than in the baytown buccee's on saturday, but either one was about 50/50.  maskless motherfuckers coughing had me running for the doors. 

at least i have enough yuengling to make it through the summer so i can test the fort worth product with the pottsville. 

Edited by elfenix

48 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Is there data for people who have been vaxed dying of Covid?  Like fully vaxed, catching covid (any variant) and then dying?  - my google-fu is not strong and it is hard to wade through 'has anyone died FROM a covid vax' to see anything meaningful.

Basically 1 in a million. 

Here is what I was able to find out from the CDC @gyroprotagonist.

5800 of 75 million vaccinated caught COVID

The CDC calls that a 'breakthrough' infection and while it is rare, it happens with pretty much every vaccine.

Around 400/5800 had a severe infection that required hospitalization. 7% of those that caught it.

Of those 400, 74 died from the disease (not the vaccine) which is about 1%.

So, to support @Anastasis, it is pretty rare plus if one does catch COVID after being vaccinated, the symptoms seem to be milder for the most part--some of which would depend upon age and other health conditions. What I couldn't see was if those that caught it had been fully vaccinated with two doses or were exposed before one would expect to have the full effect.

Since quite a few more people have now been vaccinated, those numbers are probably a little different but I expect the percentage to be similar.

TL/DR the two vaccines currently available are about 99% effective and are way better than contracting COVID.

• Hook 'Em 1

So for the record I got my shot 8 days ago, and immediately got exposed to a dumb shit coworker who attended a mass indoor gathering with no masks. I’ve got a 102 fever but mostly feel fine otherwise and can smell and taste, so I’m rooting for it to be a sinus infection 

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

So for the record I got my shot 8 days ago, and immediately got exposed to a dumb shit coworker who attended a mass indoor gathering with no masks. I’ve got a 102 fever but mostly feel fine otherwise and can smell and taste, so I’m rooting for it to be a sinus infection 

Uh . . . I'd isolate and I'd go get a test.

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

Go get tested.  You don't want someone else showing up to a Royals message board talking about their dumb shit coworker (you) who got them exposed.  Don't be the dumb shit in this situation.

7 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Go get tested.  You don't want someone else showing up to a Royals message board talking about their dumb shit coworker (you) who got them exposed.  Don't be the dumb shit in this situation.

Oh I am this AM once the place opens. 

14 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

U.S. health officials have confirmed fewer than 6,000 cases of Covid-19 in fully vaccinated Americans, CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said.

That represents just 0.007% of the 84 million Americans with full protection against the virus.

The CDC chief acknowledged that the number could be an underestimate.

That represents just 0.007% of the 84 million Americans with full protection against the virus. Despite the breakthrough infections, she said the vaccines are working as intended.

“With any vaccine, we expect such rare cases, but so far out of more than 84 million people who were fully vaccinated, we have only received reports of less than 6,000 breakthrough cases,” Walensky told reporters at a press briefing. 

“Although this number is from 43 states and territories and likely an underestimate, it still makes a really important point, these vaccines are working. Of the nearly 6,000 cases, approximately 30% had no symptoms at all,” Walensky said.

“This is really encouraging encouraging news. It demonstrates what we’ve already discussed about these vaccines. They also help prevent you from getting seriously ill,” she said.

Out of the 6,000 or so breakthrough infections, 396 people were hospitalized and 74 people died, according to CDC data released last week.

Full article here.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I’m starting to think my anti-vaxx sister has poisoned my whole family. They all live within a couple of miles of each other. She used to live in Florida (shocker), but moved back to Austin a couple of years ago. 

After she blew up the family text thread yesterday, my BIL chimed in with a Fox News link. My parents both have not been vaccinated because they are taking a T-cell test or something because they are convinced they had it last February and don’t need the vaccine. 

I’m losing it.

• Rage+1 1

File this in the "No Shit" folder.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/20/trump-vaccines-ex-aides-483387

With more than half of adults in the country having received at least one shot of a Covid vaccine, Trump supporters remain stubbornly resistant to vaccination — and it’s sparking a new round of questions over what role, if any, the former president could play to move those efforts along.

Former President Donald Trump’s unwillingness to pitch his voters on getting the jab has become the source of frustration for former aides, who lament the political benefits that would have come had he done so. It has also worried health officials from his own administration, who told POLITICO about a monthslong effort to get him to publicly take the lead; and medical experts, who say a full-throated endorsement could sway vaccine skeptics on the right and get the country closer to herd immunity.

“If he spent the last 90 days being the voice — and taking credit because he deserved to for the vaccine — and helping get as many Americans get vaccinated as he could, he would be remembered for that,” said a former senior administration official. “Honestly, I think if he was out on the road and celebrating his accomplishments and trying to get people vaccinated he wouldn’t have been in the mindset that led to [Capitol riots on] January 6.”

The latest example of Trump’s interest in selling the vaccine more than vaccinations came on Fox News Monday night when he began reflecting on why U.S. regulators announced they were pausing the Johnson & Johnson’s Covid vaccine while they investigate whether it is linked to rare but serious blood clots. The former president suggested political subterfuge was at play, touted his own record and called the decision “so stupid.” He only encouraged people to get vaccinated when pressed by host Sean Hannity, and did so in the process of explaining why he hasn’t recorded an ad encouraging his skeptical supporters to do so.

Spoiler

“They all want me to do a commercial because a lot of our people don't want to take vaccine. You know I don't know what that is exactly, Republican?” Trump said. "They want me to do a commercial, some commercial and they do this pause?"

Virtually everyone around Trump and in public health circles says his influence on the vaccine campaign could be hugely important. Trump voters are among the most vaccine-resistant blocs of Americans, with one third to nearly one half of supporters of the 45th president, white evangelicals or Republicans expressing hesitancy or antagonism in various polls.

Trump has, so far, not been persuaded to do more. Aides say he takes immense pride (justifiably, many public health experts acknowledged) of his White House’s “Warp Speed” initiative, which incentivized and accelerated vaccine development.

But his focus has often been elsewhere. In the final months of his presidency, much of his attention, according to senior aides, remained on efforts to challenge election results, and then, after the January 6 assault on the Capitol, his second impeachment and its political aftermath.

That wasn’t how it was supposed to go, according to a dozen former officials who served in the White House or health-related federal agencies. They planned on Trump being the vaccine’s salesman-in-chief, viewing it as a natural role for a president who cut his teeth hawking real estate and starring on TV.

Two former administration officials said that the pitch was made to Trump to get vaccinated publicly, but there was skepticism that he’d be open to the idea.

“Someone joked and said, ‘Have you ever seen him wear a short sleeved shirt in public? I don’t think that’s going to happen,’” said one of those officials.

Health officials in the Trump administration had actually begun working with Trump aides as far back as last September on the vaccine rollout. They wanted Trump to get his shot on camera, preferably alongside one or more doctors in white coats to validate a vaccines-are-safe message.

That’s precisely what Mike and Karen Pence did. Along with former Surgeon General Jerome Adams, an African-American physician who has been reaching out to vaccine-skeptical Black Americans, they all got their shots together with several white-coated medical personnel. Aides coordinated with the morning shows at television networks to make sure images were broadcast live across the country.

But Trump and Melania Trump got vaccinated in secret — so secretly, in fact, that top health officials and aides only learned about it after Trump left office. Word got out following Trump’s speech at CPAC, during which he encouraged people to get the shot in passing, and an adviser confirmed both he and the first lady got the shot in January. No photos or cable-news-ready footage has been released.

One former official said Trump’s own bout with coronavirus may have affected the timing of his shot. Since he had been hospitalized and treated with experimental monoclonal antibodies in October, it wasn’t immediately clear he should get the shot in December. Still, he could have explained that, and then gotten inoculated publicly soon after, according to that official, who was close to the vaccine development.

Another senior administration official said there were concerns Trump would be attacked by the press for “jumping the line” ahead of higher risk people and first responders.

Former Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows and others still in Trump’s orbit defended his response. “During the last few months of the Trump administration, the president put a strong emphasis on providing vaccines to the most urgent places and for critical personnel offering as much capacity for the general public as possible,” said Meadows. “Because he’d already come down with Covid, he made the determination there were others far more critical for receiving the vaccine than he and the first family.”

Vaccine hesitancy is complicated, and pro-vaccine statements from Trump wouldn’t magically make the entire MAGA world roll up their sleeves. But he probably would make a difference, experts on vaccine hesitancy said. A March poll from the Kaiser Family Foundation found that one-in-five vaccine hesitant Republicans said a Trump endorsement would spur them to get immunized. Combine that with other public health reassurance, and Trump’s message could be amplified, building vaccine trust among his base.

Frank Luntz, the Republican pollster working with the de Beaumont Foundation and other public health groups on vaccine confidence, thinks politicians generally have limited ability to sway voters. But he said that a message from Trump, surrounded by doctors nodding approval, would have some oomph.

“Instead of raising money, raise awareness for the vaccine,” said Luntz. “Deliver straight to the camera a message that says, ‘Look. Do it for me. Do it for the country. Do it for the future. Most importantly, do it for yourself.’ ”

“In the end, he’s the reason they would listen. The doctors are why they would act.”

The Biden administration also has struggled to make inroads with vaccine skeptics on the right. White House efforts to engage conservatives have included running ads during shows popular with right-leaning voters like “Deadliest Catch” on Discovery, and Country Music Television. Venues like NASCAR speedways have been used as vaccination sites. But many experts are worried that even if health officials deem J&J safe, the blood clot scare will only heighten the fears.

The Biden White House has said it has not asked Trump to do pro-vaccine messaging. And Trump was not asked to be part of the Ad Council PSA that featured former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, according to a staffer for one of the former presidents involved in that ad and multiple advisers to Trump. Planning for the ad began in December and was filmed on Biden’s Inauguration Day. At that point, Trump had made clear he would not be staying in Washington for the festivities. Notably, however, the council shot another ad with the former presidents and First Ladies, and included Jimmy Carter who could not travel to the inauguration.

When Trump has made public statements encouraging immunization, they have been rare, and sandwiched amid political statements, endorsements of potential MAGA 2020 candidates, and attacks on the small group of Republicans who backed his impeachment.

During an interview with Maria Bartiromo on Fox News, he recommended the shot — but then acknowledged that people have a right to refuse it.

“I would recommend it, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don’t want to get it, and a lot of those people voted for me frankly. But again, we have our freedoms and we have to live by that and I agree with that also,” Trump said in March. “But it’s a great vaccine, and it is a safe vaccine and it is something that works.”

In his first statement after the J&J pause, Trump accused the FDA of playing politics, of trying to help Pfizer, the maker of a different vaccine, and of intentionally delaying vaccine approval until after the 2020 presidential election.

“They didn’t like me very much because I pushed them extremely hard. But if I didn’t, you wouldn’t have a vaccine for 3-5 years, or maybe not at all,” his statement read. “The only way we defeat the China Virus is with our great vaccines!”

Some former Trump administration officials said they haven’t given up on him deciding to chime in more consistently, particularly if it gets him back in the public eye. They note that he takes immense pride in Operation Warp Speed, the $10 billion private-public partnership which helped more than 200 million vaccine doses get developed, tested and authorized at record speeds by pharmaceutical manufacturers.

Others argue that he could be doing more, bristling at the notion that he has been anything other than engaged in promoting vaccination.

“President Trump has been a consistent leader and an important voice — and has advocated for the production, development, and use of the vaccine early and often, including him taking it and instructing other people to also get the vaccine,” said Kellyanne Conway.

And Trump senior adviser Jason Miller said the former president “is going to continue to push folks to get the vaccine.”

But few beyond the Trump faithful believe he has been an aggressive and eager promoter of vaccinations. And without Trump in the lead, other prominent Republicans have been left to pick up the slack. Ivanka Trump, the president’s daughter, tweeted a photo of her vaccination last Wednesday (and received pushback in the comments section from the anti-vax corner of MAGA world), RNC Chair Ronna McDaniel shared news of her vaccination, and Republican leader Mitch McConnell has repeatedly called on the public to get the vaccine. Rep. Brad Wenstrup (R-OH), who leads the House Doctors Caucus, doesn’t just defend the vaccine; he goes home to Ohio and administers shots — in one case, he said, on a bus full of elderly, mostly low-income, people who had traveled for their injections.

And last week, House Republicans welcomed its newest member, Julia Letlow of Louisiana, to Congress. Letlow, who lost her husband, congressman-elect Luke Letlow, to Covid-19 before he was able to enter office, has called on those vaccine-skeptic Republicans to consider her own family’s experience.

But Trump’s relative silence on this front is notable, other Republicans say. And without it, it could prolong the vaccination campaign and the virus fight as well.

“He could have a real impact and not by getting the standard public service announcement but by talking to his people like he talks to his people,” said former Republican congressman Peter King, who advised that Trump make a personal appeal to his supporters in his own unique way. He even suggested a script the former president could use: "‘Believe me, I wouldn’t take this thing, I wouldn’t put my own health at risk if i didn't think it was necessary,’” King said, imitating a potential Trump sales pitch for the vaccine. “Do it in a real conversational way but a wise guy way. ‘You think I would let my daughter get it if I didn’t think it was safe?… Just because Fauci is for it doesn’t mean it’s wrong.’”

“I think it would serve a real purpose,” King said.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

So I’m starting to think my anti-vaxx sister has poisoned my whole family. They all live within a couple of miles of each other. She used to live in Florida (shocker), but moved back to Austin a couple of years ago. 

After she blew up the family text thread yesterday, my BIL chimed in with a Fox News link. My parents both have not been vaccinated because they are taking a T-cell test or something because they are convinced they had it last February and don’t need the vaccine. 

I’m losing it.

My hard core GQP FIL surprisingly got vaccinated.  He had a few life-long friends that perished from Covid, and for him, that was enough of a wakeup call.

My equally hard core GQP MIL refuses to get a vaccine.  She has said that God will take care of her, but she takes plenty of zinc and other Facebook recommended vitamins to "help".  Now, according to my wife, this is nothing new---for decades now she questions any doctor, diagnosis, prescription, etc.  But.....

....if somehow she contracts Covid, my FIL says he will just give his blood plasma to my MIL and that will be enough to cure her.

WTF.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Here is what I was able to find out from the CDC @gyroprotagonist.

5800 of 75 million vaccinated caught COVID

The CDC calls that a 'breakthrough' infection and while it is rare, it happens with pretty much every vaccine.

Around 400/5800 had a severe infection that required hospitalization. 7% of those that caught it.

Of those 400, 74 died from the disease (not the vaccine) which is about 1%.

So, to support @Anastasis, it is pretty rare plus if one does catch COVID after being vaccinated, the symptoms seem to be milder for the most part--some of which would depend upon age and other health conditions. What I couldn't see was if those that caught it had been fully vaccinated with two doses or were exposed before one would expect to have the full effect.

Since quite a few more people have now been vaccinated, those numbers are probably a little different but I expect the percentage to be similar.

TL/DR the two vaccines currently available are about 99% effective and are way better than contracting COVID.

Got it.  Thanks!  The article linked a few post down had 6000 cases vs 84 million vaxed

So ~.007% of people vaxed caught Covid

.00009% of people vaxed die from Covid; 

and maybe this gets into fuzzy math but take the 

- 31 million positive tests in the US; half it to take care of repeat positives from the same person = 15 million

- 567K deaths in US from a population of 331 million

Free range infection rate ~ 4.5% with no vax (vs .007%)

Free range death rate ~ .17% with no vax (vs .00009%)

That seems pretty significant.  74 deaths from 84,000,000 vaxed.  vs 500K from 331,000,000  

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You suck at math.  Pretty sure I've seen you on Facebook.

I mean...I can see a couple of different ways to go at this math, but fundamentally, as an order of magnitude thing.....isn't it pretty close?

Without the vax, a population of 330 million had a large number of cases, and 550k deaths.

With the vax, a population of 84 million had around 6,000 cases, and only 74 deaths.  That's a pretty big fucking difference, right?  Or am I missing something because I'm Barbie, and math is hard?

Got my first Moderna shot Apr. 5th. My understanding is the recommended date for the 2nd Moderna shot is 4 weeks later. That's when the pharmacy tech said I should schedule my 2nd dose but she was contradicted by the pharmacist who said "naw, he can do it 3 weeks." Skimming the internet, it says 4. What up wit dat?

On 4/19/2021 at 10:18 AM, UDontKnow said:

If vaccine cards are being sold and certain employers will require proof of Coronavirus vaccination (i.e. medical field), then I wonder if titer tests are in order.

Proof would be in the individuals' medical records at the facilities.  These fuckers with fake cards will just force us to have to get certified records from the providers that dispensed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You suck at math.  Pretty sure I've seen you on Facebook.

don't do the facetrons, but again what's the suckage at math? 

To try and compare the 74 vaxed deaths from 84m vaxed population with the total number of deaths in the US (550K) you need to use the entire US population (331m) in my opinion.  So that's where the .17% number comes from.  it's solely deaths from a population.  yes, the 84 million are actually part of the 331 million, but since that 84 million slowly increased over time it's difficult to draw a perfect line in the sand.  

- explain it to me like I am 5.  I am not getting your point.  My point was to show that there is an large % difference in death between unvaxed and vaxed, with vaxed being several orders of magnitude lower.  Yes all nuance was stripped away to use the most basic numbers as a blunt comparison point. 

you take issue with the .17% number (550K/331M*100).  Maybe I am wrong and stupid, so please tell me.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’m losing it.

What worked on my family was that we wouldn't see each other again in person until they were through the full vaccination cycle. I made it about me not being willing to risk accidentally bringing it to them and infecting them and killing them.  Told them that the guilt of me not seeing them was lower than the guilt of me accidentally killing them, so it is a super easy decision to make to just never see them again in person.  I also made them send me pictures of their vax cards, because they are all Republicans, and this is something they'd lie about.  It worked for me, hopefully it works for others.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

don't do the facetrons, but again what's the suckage at math? 

To try and compare the 74 vaxed deaths from 84m vaxed population with the total number of deaths in the US (550K) you need to use the entire US population (331m) in my opinion.  So that's where the .17% number comes from.  it's solely deaths from a population.  yes, the 84 million are actually part of the 331 million, but since that 84 million slowly increased over time it's difficult to draw a perfect line in the sand.  

- explain it to me like I am 5.  I am not getting your point.  My point was to show that there is an large % difference in death between unvaxed and vaxed, with vaxed being several orders of magnitude lower.  Yes all nuance was stripped away to use the most basic numbers as a blunt comparison point. 

you take issue with the .17% number (550K/331M*100).  Maybe I am wrong and stupid, so please tell me.

Don't you also need to consider that cases cover all ages but vax is only 18+ and thus the total population (330 mil can have cases but less can have vax) is off or is that the nuance of which you speak?

14 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

To try and compare the 74 vaxed deaths from 84m vaxed population with the total number of deaths in the US (550K) you need to use the entire US population (331m) in my opinion.

If you were doing the death rate from cancer or car wrecks, would you use entire US population as the denominator, or would you use the number of people who suffered from cancer or had a car wreck?

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

If you were doing the death rate from cancer or car wrecks, would you use entire US population as the denominator, or would you use the number of people who suffered from cancer or had a car wreck?

Well, the risk profile here is....all people.

All 331 million are at the baseline risk of catching and dying from COVID.  Millions caught it, 550k died.

84 million vaxxed are also at risk of catching and dying from COVID (that is, the exact same risks as the comparator population).  6000 caught it, 74 died.

The baseline is "of people who 1) might catch it, and 2) might die, how many did so?"  Two very, very different numbers for the population at large (that is, people with no immunity/protection) vs. vaxxed population.

25 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

What worked on my family was that we wouldn't see each other again in person until they were through the full vaccination cycle. I made it about me not being willing to risk accidentally bringing it to them and infecting them and killing them.  Told them that the guilt of me not seeing them was lower than the guilt of me accidentally killing them, so it is a super easy decision to make to just never see them again in person.  I also made them send me pictures of their vax cards, because they are all Republicans, and this is something they'd lie about.  It worked for me, hopefully it works for others.

Well that ship has sailed for me, since I've been seeing them pre-vaccination also.

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, the risk profile here is....all people.

Are you suggesting that some people are immune to cancer or car wrecks?

The risk profile of people dying in a car wreck is everyone who has ever been on a road, which is basically everyone.  yet no one would claim that the death rate for car wrecks is 40K/331M instead of 40K/5.4M (the number of wrecks).  

besides, as we have seen clearly, doing Covid deaths/total population is taking a number which grows exponentially and dividing it by a number that is relatively static, which results in a completely meaningless result at any point in time.  The denominator should also be a dynamic number -- covid cases.

Edited by Beau Vine