CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Yeah, India situation is bad.  We should certain clear any stores of Oxford vaccine we have.  Unfortunately that just doesn't move the needle for india.  They have a robust pharmaceutical industry and have license to manufacture Oxford, just approved sputnik, and JNJ has production facilities there. The scale of the population is just so massive, and the healthcare infrastructure so poor...big hill to climb. 

• Hook 'Em 2

if they don't have a plan to redistribute the glut of vax that is about to be apparent in the US, the gov needs to get on that ASAP.  I read there were clauses in the original vax contracts the Trump admin signed with vax makers that prohibit the use outside of the US.

from vanity fair piece: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/04/why-the-us-still-cant-donate-covid-19-vaccines-to-countries-in-need

The contracts the Trump administration signed with the vaccine manufacturers prohibit the U.S. from sharing its surplus doses with the rest of the world. According to contract language Vanity Fair has obtained, the agreements with Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, and Janssen state: “The Government may not use, or authorize the use of, any products or materials provided under this Project Agreement, unless such use occurs in the United States” or U.S. territories.

The clauses in question are designed to ensure that the manufacturers retain liability protection, but they have had the effect of projecting the Trump administration’s America First agenda into the Biden era. “That is what has completely and totally prohibited the U.S. from donating or reselling, because it would be in breach of contract,” said a senior administration official involved in the global planning effort. “It is a complete and total ban. Those legal parameters must change before we do anything to help the rest of the world.”

In a statement to Vanity Fair, a Defense Department spokesperson acknowledged the contract restrictions, saying: “DoD did attempt to negotiate terms that would allow the use of vaccine doses outside the U.S., but in some cases, the vaccine manufacturers refused.” Given the imperative to produce 300 million doses for the American public, said the spokesperson, Operation Warp Speed officials agreed that it was “more important to contract with the vaccine manufacturers for doses that could be used” by U.S. citizens “than walk away from the negotiations based on this single term.”

In the grand scheme of things, whatever % of whatever group that refuses to get vaxed in the US is not the big issue when it comes to variants and all that.  The US has been the leader in cases and deaths for so long, I had not really looked at much world news lately RE: covid.  my how the turntables... 

image.png.e8002f1cf7b75f737af0051a4b2b13bc.png

I think the US better figure out how reroute some of theses vax doses ASAP.  Hell, maybe telling the vax hesitant that these foreigners are going to take their dose will suddenly spark a desire to claim one.  It sure works that way for my kids when we take some of their old toys to be donated.

And is going to get worse. 

Scenes outside a hospital in Delhi, where people are dying without getting the treatment they need
Six hospitals in the Indian capital Delhi have completely run out of oxygen and doctors say other hospitals have just a few hours' worth of supply left.
A number of people have died while waiting for oxygen, and more than 99% of all intensive care beds are full.
India is in the grips of a second wave of Covid infections and on Thursday recorded the highest one-day tally of new cases anywhere in the world.
The country has recorded close to 16 million confirmed infections.
There have been 314,835 new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, while deaths rose by 2,104.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56851265

On 4/20/2021 at 9:52 PM, Lobo said:

Nope, Led Zeppelin and Grateful Dead from middle school 'til my grave.  

I blame Nirvana for using clever marketing, and good but not great music, to convince every other white kid that they too were a tortured soul who had so much pain and passion to share with the world.  Cobain left behind a good catalogue and a cunt of a girlfriend, and he went out on top-kudos to him.  Pearl Jam has long since outlasted their welcome.  I can't remember their last good song.  Nothing against them as musicians, but I hate them for making baggy pants acceptable to girls in the early to mid 90's.  I was just getting into appreciating the female ass, then these fucking assclowns come along and convince everybody from Cindy Crawford to Jennifer Aniston that frumpy pants are the hot new look!  

So I hope that whoever the A&R guys were behind Nirvana and Pearl Jam were, they got Covid-19 (but recovered, but had ample time to regret the folly of their ways).  

Good thing Britney Spears didn’t come along with the low rise daisy dukes a couple of years later. Oh wait. It was glorious. 

I give Britney a big portion of credit for helping sculpt my love of the female ass.  To this day, I can only name two songs by her and two cheeks. 

32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

India’s healthcare infrastructure literally burning down to the ground. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/04/23/india-hospital-fire-coronavirus-record-cases/?outputType=amp

Listened to a reporter on NPR yesterday morning giving an account and she sounded completely wrung out and her voice was wobbling.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Listened to a reporter on NPR yesterday morning giving an account and she sounded completely wrung out and her voice was wobbling.

Yeah.....seems like an absolute nightmare, with no real way to abate it.  A billion plus people, a virus running wild -- a perfect storm to create new (and maybe worse) new strains.

Wildfire abatement doesn't just mean you trim the brush around your house  -- you have to get rid of the fuel around all the neighboring houses as well.  We need to be working on a dual strategy: 1) vaccinate the fuck out of everyone here in the US, and 2) manufacture and distribute vaccines for the global market and help them administer them.  

Put out our fire.  Put out our neighbors' fires so they don't spread.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/23/trump-bleach-one-year-484399

One year ago today, President Donald Trump took to the White House briefing room and encouraged his top health officials to study the injection of bleach into the human body as a means of fighting Covid. It was a watershed moment, soon to become iconic in the annals of presidential briefings. It arguably changed the course of political history.

Some ex-Trump aides say they don’t even think about that day as the wildest they experienced — with the conceit that there were simply too many others. But for those there, it was instantly shocking, even by Trump standards. It quickly came to symbolize the chaotic essence of his presidency and his handling of the pandemic. Twelve months later, with the pandemic still lingering and a U.S. death toll nearing 570,000, it still does.

"For me, it was the craziest and most surreal moment I had ever witnessed in a presidential press conference,” said ABC’s chief Washington correspondent Jon Karl, who was the first reporter at the briefing to question Trump’s musings about bleach.

For weeks, Trump had been giving winding, stream-of-consciousness updates on the state of the Covid fight as it clearly worsened. So when he got up from the Oval Office to brief reporters gathered in the The James S. Brady Press Briefing Room on April 23, there was no expectation that the day’s proceedings would be any different than usual.

Privately, however, some of his aides were worried. The Covid task force had met earlier that day — as usual, without Trump — to discuss the most recent findings, including the effects of light and humidity on how the virus spreads. Trump was briefed by a small group of aides. But it was clear to some aides that he hadn’t processed all the details before he left to speak to the press.

“A few of us actually tried to stop it in the West Wing hallway,” said one former senior Trump White House official. “I actually argued that President Trump wouldn't have the time to absorb it and understand it. But I lost, and it went how it did.”

Spoiler

Trump started his press conference that day by doing something he’d come to loathe: pushing basic public safety measures. He called for the “voluntary use of face coverings” and said of his administration, “continued diligence is an essential part of our strategy.”

Quickly, however, came a hint at how loose the guardrails were that day. Trump introduced Bill Bryan, head of science and technology at the Department of Homeland Security. “He’s going to be talking about how the virus reacts in sunlight,” the president said. “Wait ‘til you hear the numbers.”

As Bryan spoke, charts were displayed behind him about surface temperatures and virus half-lives. He preached, rather presciently, for people to “move activities outside” and then detailed ongoing studies involving disinfectants. “We tested bleach,” he said at one point. “I can tell you that bleach will kill the virus in five minutes.”

Standing off to the side, Trump clasped his hands in front of his stomach, nodded and looked out into the room of gathered reporters. When Bryan was done, he strode slowly back to the lectern.

“A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world,” Trump began, clearly thinking the question himself, “So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that that hasn't been checked, but you're going to test it. And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way, and I think you said you're going to test that, too. It sounds interesting. And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that.”

Dr. Deborah Birx, Trump’s former coronavirus response coordinator, sat silently off to the side as the president made these suggestions to her. Later, she would tell ABC, “I didn’t know how to handle that episode,” adding, “I still think about it every day.”

Inside the Biden campaign, aides were shocked as well. They were working remotely at that juncture, communicating largely over Signal. But the import of what had happened became quickly evident to them.

“Even for him,” said one former Biden campaign aide, “this was stratospherically insane and dangerous. It cemented the case we had been making about his derelict covid response.”

In short order, the infamous bleach press conference became a literal rallying cry for Trump’s opponents, with Biden supporters dotting their yards with “He Won’t Put Bleach In You” signs. For Trump, it was a scourge. He would go on to insist that he was merely being sarcastic — a claim at odds with the excited curiosity he had posing those questions to Birx. His former team concedes that real damage was done.

“People joked about it inside the White House like, ‘Are you drinking bleach and injecting sunlight?’ People were mocking it and saying, ‘Oh let me go stand out in the sun, and I’ll be safe from Covid,” said one former administration official. “It honestly hurt. It was a credibility issue. … It was hurting us even from an international standpoint, the credibility at the White House.”

That Trump was even at the lectern that day was head-scratching for many. For weeks, he and his team had downplayed the severity of the Covid crisis even as the president privately acknowledged to the Washington Post’s Bob Woodward that it had the potential to be catastrophic. But as it became clearer that the public was not buying the rosy assessments, Trump had decided to take his fate into his own hands — assembling the press on a daily basis to spin his way through the crisis.

He loved it. The former administration official said Trump was elated with the free airtime he was getting on television day after day. “He was asking how much money that was worth,” the aide recalled. The coverage was so ubiquitous that, at one point, Fox News’ Bret Baier attended the briefing and peppered the president with questions because his own show was being routinely interrupted.

The bleach episode changed all that.

Aides immediately understood what a public health quagmire Trump’s remarks had created. White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany insisted he was being taken out of context.

“President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasized again during yesterday’s briefing,” McEnany said in a statement issued the next day. “Leave it to the media to irresponsibly take President Trump out of context and run with negative headlines.”

But behind the scenes, Trump’s remarks were used as evidence by senior aides for why they needed to crack down on unvetted information being put in front of the president. “Either they didn't know what he was going to say — which isn't ideal — or they didn't push back before he went out to the briefing,” said a former senior communications official in the Trump administration. “It was a huge unforced error that could have been prevented."

By then, White House aides were already debating the efficacy of having Trump relay health information to the public and having to answer whatever question a reporter might throw his way. Some aides — along with Republican allies on Capitol Hill — were pushing to get the president to take a back seat to his health experts at the podium.

“It became like a presser for the sake of having a presser. We didn’t have anything to announce or real policy plans,” a former White House official said. “If you’re just coming out and talking, a Q&A [with reporters] wasn’t going to be helpful.”

Trump would end up doing only a handful more press conferences after the bleach episode before picking them back up again in July. A year later, the episode is still considered a defining point in the Covid fight and a prime exhibit of what can go wrong when an over-confident president believes he can message his way through a once-in-a-lifetime global pandemic.

“Undoubtedly [it was] a seminal moment in presidential communications, and while it is easy to laugh it off, I hope it educates leaders and communicators for decades,” said former Obama White House press secretary Robert Gibbs. “But this was the moment where we knew without any doubt that the government was in way over its head, and its ability to both respond effectively and educate Americans about what to do was not going to be anywhere close to meeting the moment.”

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/23/trump-bleach-one-year-484399

Reveal hidden contents

Trump started his press conference that day by doing something he’d come to loathe: pushing basic public safety measures. He called for the “voluntary use of face coverings” and said of his administration, “continued diligence is an essential part of our strategy.”

Quickly, however, came a hint at how loose the guardrails were that day. Trump introduced Bill Bryan, head of science and technology at the Department of Homeland Security. “He’s going to be talking about how the virus reacts in sunlight,” the president said. “Wait ‘til you hear the numbers.”

As Bryan spoke, charts were displayed behind him about surface temperatures and virus half-lives. He preached, rather presciently, for people to “move activities outside” and then detailed ongoing studies involving disinfectants. “We tested bleach,” he said at one point. “I can tell you that bleach will kill the virus in five minutes.”

Standing off to the side, Trump clasped his hands in front of his stomach, nodded and looked out into the room of gathered reporters. When Bryan was done, he strode slowly back to the lectern.

“A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world,” Trump began, clearly thinking the question himself, “So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that that hasn't been checked, but you're going to test it. And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way, and I think you said you're going to test that, too. It sounds interesting. And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that.”

Dr. Deborah Birx, Trump’s former coronavirus response coordinator, sat silently off to the side as the president made these suggestions to her. Later, she would tell ABC, “I didn’t know how to handle that episode,” adding, “I still think about it every day.”

Inside the Biden campaign, aides were shocked as well. They were working remotely at that juncture, communicating largely over Signal. But the import of what had happened became quickly evident to them.

“Even for him,” said one former Biden campaign aide, “this was stratospherically insane and dangerous. It cemented the case we had been making about his derelict covid response.”

In short order, the infamous bleach press conference became a literal rallying cry for Trump’s opponents, with Biden supporters dotting their yards with “He Won’t Put Bleach In You” signs. For Trump, it was a scourge. He would go on to insist that he was merely being sarcastic — a claim at odds with the excited curiosity he had posing those questions to Birx. His former team concedes that real damage was done.

“People joked about it inside the White House like, ‘Are you drinking bleach and injecting sunlight?’ People were mocking it and saying, ‘Oh let me go stand out in the sun, and I’ll be safe from Covid,” said one former administration official. “It honestly hurt. It was a credibility issue. … It was hurting us even from an international standpoint, the credibility at the White House.”

That Trump was even at the lectern that day was head-scratching for many. For weeks, he and his team had downplayed the severity of the Covid crisis even as the president privately acknowledged to the Washington Post’s Bob Woodward that it had the potential to be catastrophic. But as it became clearer that the public was not buying the rosy assessments, Trump had decided to take his fate into his own hands — assembling the press on a daily basis to spin his way through the crisis.

He loved it. The former administration official said Trump was elated with the free airtime he was getting on television day after day. “He was asking how much money that was worth,” the aide recalled. The coverage was so ubiquitous that, at one point, Fox News’ Bret Baier attended the briefing and peppered the president with questions because his own show was being routinely interrupted.

The bleach episode changed all that.

Aides immediately understood what a public health quagmire Trump’s remarks had created. White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany insisted he was being taken out of context.

“President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasized again during yesterday’s briefing,” McEnany said in a statement issued the next day. “Leave it to the media to irresponsibly take President Trump out of context and run with negative headlines.”

But behind the scenes, Trump’s remarks were used as evidence by senior aides for why they needed to crack down on unvetted information being put in front of the president. “Either they didn't know what he was going to say — which isn't ideal — or they didn't push back before he went out to the briefing,” said a former senior communications official in the Trump administration. “It was a huge unforced error that could have been prevented."

By then, White House aides were already debating the efficacy of having Trump relay health information to the public and having to answer whatever question a reporter might throw his way. Some aides — along with Republican allies on Capitol Hill — were pushing to get the president to take a back seat to his health experts at the podium.

“It became like a presser for the sake of having a presser. We didn’t have anything to announce or real policy plans,” a former White House official said. “If you’re just coming out and talking, a Q&A [with reporters] wasn’t going to be helpful.”

Trump would end up doing only a handful more press conferences after the bleach episode before picking them back up again in July. A year later, the episode is still considered a defining point in the Covid fight and a prime exhibit of what can go wrong when an over-confident president believes he can message his way through a once-in-a-lifetime global pandemic.

“Undoubtedly [it was] a seminal moment in presidential communications, and while it is easy to laugh it off, I hope it educates leaders and communicators for decades,” said former Obama White House press secretary Robert Gibbs. “But this was the moment where we knew without any doubt that the government was in way over its head, and its ability to both respond effectively and educate Americans about what to do was not going to be anywhere close to meeting the moment.”

anal-bleaching-graph-and-chart.jpg

• Haha 1

Sorry if already discussed- What level of the current situation in India and elsewhere is due to pharmaceutical exclusivity?

I seem to remember that there are certain vaccines that are only available in the US due both to our FDA process and concern for the business models (including R&D) of Pfizer, Moderna, etc.

I do know that this was a huge debate during the Clinton administration (in response to global HIV spread).

Edited by NWBuck

Would that apply that Kyle Field where they not only lock arms, they grab each other's hands under their junk.  Safe to say that's considered "not socially distant" although most Aggies I know are very distant from society.  

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

the free market works guys

Fucking LOVE that idea.  Hope Austin FC does something similar for us -- we've still got two months to go.  So, shit, maybe they'll make most of the stadium wide open if you're vaxxed, and a smaller "socially distant" seating section.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I just want to post somewhere how grateful I am to be fully vaccinated.  I started going to the gym this week for the first time in over a year.  I have seen some flagrant disregard for mask protocol (not too many, but one or two is enough to get you upset) but I am comforted by the fact I have been vaccinated.  And today I'll get a well needed haircut also for the first time in over a year. 

Simple things, but knowing I am doing them safely just means everything.  Just a grateful Friday.  

FWIW, my doctor told me to have zero reservations about going back to the gym after being fully vaccinated.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Bookman said:

FWIW, my doctor told me to have zero reservations about going back to the gym after being fully vaccinated.

If you're fully vaccinated (like 14 days after second shot or after first J&J) then you are good to go. Do what you want.

I'm rapidly approaching the "fuck 'em all" attitude - if the shot is available to you and you don't get it then congratulations you get to be sick.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, The Dog said:

If you're fully vaccinated (like 14 days after second shot or after first J&J) then you are good to go. Do what you want.

I'm rapidly approaching the "fuck 'em all" attitude - if the shot is available to you and you don't get it then congratulations you get to be sick.

No, no, no.  You are suppose to be climbed down in your hole. 

• Like 1

I mentioned my gratitude for being vaccinated yesterday.  Even more so today:

Oregon’s seen the biggest percentage increase in COVID-19 cases of any state in the country over the past two weeks. Cases have jumped 58% in that time period, putting Oregon just ahead of Kansas and behind territories Guam and Puerto Rico.

Bolded is where I live.

Oregon had stopped using the “extreme risk” category because hospital capacity was at a place where state officials felt they didn’t need it. Now that hospitals are filling up, Oregon’s reinstating the “extreme risk” label and the restrictions that come with it.

The state’s most recent risk assessment, issued Tuesday, showed 11 counties — Baker, Clackamas, Columbia, Crook, Deschutes, Jackson, Josephine, Klamath, Linn, Marion and Polk — qualified as “extreme risk.” Oregon isn’t set to update risk levels until May 4, but Brown said Friday she could put several counties in that category as soon as next week.

And the Governor who changed metrics up so she could re-open schools:

“This is essentially your warning,” Brown said. “Should cases continue to rise, should we reach capacity in our hospital systems, there will be several counties moving into ‘extreme risk.’”

I know workswithseed doesn't like her because he's on the right wing side of the fence.  I don't like her because she shows an incredible lack of consistency.

20 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

And the already mentioned news out of India is just heart breaking.  No politics from me on that one, it is just sad and awful. 

We need to be doing more because it feels like we've plateaued on vaccine demand here.

• Hook 'Em 2

Get ready for the Aggie Flu, bitches!

New Covid variant detected at Texas A&M lab shows signs of antibody resistance and more severe illness in young people

Scientists at Texas A&M University’s Global Health Research Complex say they’ve detected a new Covid-19 variant that shows signs of a more contagious strain that causes more severe illness and appears to be resistant to antibodies.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/22/new-covid-variant-detected-at-texas-am-lab-shows-signs-of-antibody-resistance-and-more-severe-illness-in-young-people.html?fbclid=IwAR0XnLWuBRW0LlveIai_i9FQSHZDi27BAK-tT7_rvrV1ePoquKfeamzWu-c

36 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Get ready for the Aggie Flu, bitches!

New Covid variant detected at Texas A&M lab shows signs of antibody resistance and more severe illness in young people

Scientists at Texas A&M University’s Global Health Research Complex say they’ve detected a new Covid-19 variant that shows signs of a more contagious strain that causes more severe illness and appears to be resistant to antibodies.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/22/new-covid-variant-detected-at-texas-am-lab-shows-signs-of-antibody-resistance-and-more-severe-illness-in-young-people.html?fbclid=IwAR0XnLWuBRW0LlveIai_i9FQSHZDi27BAK-tT7_rvrV1ePoquKfeamzWu-c

Sheep to human transmission I'm guessing

• Hook 'Em 1

Ted Nugent performed inside a Florida anti-mask supermarket (a supermarket ... snicker) days before he came down with Covid:

https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/04/ted-nugent-performed-inside-florida-anti-mask-supermarket-days-before-saying-he-has-covid-19.html

The owner of the supermarket asked "Why don't we shut the world down because of heart attacks? Why don't we shut cities down because of heart attacks?"

Ted Nugent asked "Why didn't we shut down for Covids one through eighteen?"

This is why people are dying. You can't fix stupidity. 

55 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ted Nugent performed inside a Florida anti-mask supermarket (a supermarket ... snicker) days before he came down with Covid:

https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/04/ted-nugent-performed-inside-florida-anti-mask-supermarket-days-before-saying-he-has-covid-19.html

The owner of the supermarket asked "Why don't we shut the world down because of heart attacks? Why don't we shut cities down because of heart attacks?"

Ted Nugent asked "Why didn't we shut down for Covids one through eighteen?"

This is why people are dying. You can't fix stupidity. 

Well at least he had a bigger dressing room than the puppets.