CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

13 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This is why people are dying. You can't fix stupidity. 

Now that vaccines are generally available, I’m totally cool if someone wants to pick the pandemic hill to literally die on.  Their choices no longer threaten my life.  Party on.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Now that vaccines are generally available, I’m totally cool if someone wants to pick the pandemic hill to literally die on.  Their choices no longer threaten my life.  Party on.

Well, fewer vaccinated people mean more chances for the virus to mutate and generally stick around as a nuisance, rather than getting stamped out

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I'm surrounded by Republicans where I work and all of them had the vaccine before I did. The only people I personally know who haven't got it are my conspiracy theory obsessed older brother and my youngest brother who listens to everything my conspiracy theory obsessed older brother says.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

I'm surrounded by Republicans where I work and all of them had the vaccine before I did. The only people I personally know who haven't got it are my conspiracy theory obsessed older brother and my youngest brother who listens to everything my conspiracy theory obsessed older brother says.

That is honestly surprising and good.

52 minutes ago, Okie State said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/20/vaccine-hesitant-republicans/

My dad has never voted for a democrat in his life and got it the first chance he could. It’s a stupidity and stubbornness thing more than politics. 
Was going to say that I work with educated people so that clearly makes a difference. My company is also very pro vaccine.

When (by recollection) 43% of Republicans are vaccine-resistant, that doesn't mean it should shock anyone that a Republican would get the vaccine.
Statistics . . . how does it work?

Yeah.

25% identify as R.

43% are vaccine hesitant

That’s 11.25% of the population and remember many may get the shot anyway.

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

A lot of it is apathy and not a hardline political or anti-vax stance. People see it as a flu shot. 

• Fuck You 1

Time to move to the carrot and the stick.

Medicaid and Medicare coverage should require vaccination. Give on risk large group plans and self insured plans the ability to incentivize vaccination with federal reimbursement. Let the actuary nerds figure out the math, but make it hurt in the pocket book.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Agreed, and proof of vaccines should also be incentivized at other events -- sporting sections relegating non-vaxxed to shittier seats, concert sections, travel incentives for vexed people, restaurant hours, etc. Treat the non-vaxxed like smokers. You can continue to live like an idiot and make stupid choices, but you aren't going to endanger the rest of us. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Yeah our system gives us $75/month discount on our portion of our health insurance if we get a flu shot every year.

I hope they do the same for the Covid vaccine.

It’s been very disheartening to see the absolute plummeting demand for the vaccine over the last two weeks.

We had a waiting list in the 300s a month ago and had around 100+ registering online daily.

We’re now doing walk-ins, had to reduce our clinic staffing by 65%, and only had THREE people register on Friday.

It’s depressing and scary.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah our system gives us $75/month discount on our portion of our health insurance if we get a flu shot every year.

I hope they do the same for the Covid vaccine.

It’s been very disheartening to see the absolute plummeting demand for the vaccine over the last two weeks.

We had a waiting list in the 300s a month ago and had around 100+ registering online daily.

We’re now doing walk-ins, had to reduce our clinic staffing by 65%, and only had THREE people register on Friday.

It’s depressing and scary.

Sounds like y'all are getting down to the dregs of the civilized world.

6 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Agreed, and proof of vaccines should also be incentivized at other events -- sporting sections relegating non-vaxxed to shittier seats, concert sections, travel incentives for vexed people, restaurant hours, etc. Treat the non-vaxxed like smokers. You can continue to live like an idiot and make stupid choices, but you aren't going to endanger the rest of us. 

Yep.  Private businesses should be allowed implement any restrictions they see fit.  I believe that the saying is "Fuck your feelings". 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, The Dog said:

Yeah.

25% identify as R.

43% are vaccine hesitant

That’s 11.25% of the population and remember many may get the shot anyway.

But it appears that we are approaching the point where, with some exceptions that I don’t want to minimize, the only people who get Covid are those who choose to do so. And the vast majority of them it appears will be Republicans.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

But it appears that we are approaching the point where, with some exceptions that I don’t want to minimize, the only people who get Covid are those who choose to do so. And the vast majority of them it appears will be Republicans.

We're not close to being there yet IMHO.

I think there's a bigger group and that's younger people who aren't getting the vaccine for various reasons - maybe young and dumb, maybe putting it off because they think the olds need it, not knowing how available the vaccine is, not taking the time to just go get it, etc.

I think people have been far too eager to push the narrative that this is all Republican kooks and I'm not sure that's entirely the case. It's certainly a problem but outreach amongst the groups that are willing to get the vaccine will be a lot more effective in increasing vaccination rates IMHO.

Edited by The Dog

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Yep.  Private businesses should be allowed implement any restrictions they see fit.  I believe that the saying is "Fuck your feelings". 

Not only allowed, but frankly I think it is negligence to not have restrictions depending on the business. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Not only allowed, but frankly I think it is negligence to not have restrictions depending on the business. 

Yeah lawsuits will be flying if someone dies of Covid and a business didn’t require their employees to be vaccinated. At the same time, it might be impossible to prove that was the grounds of transmission so maybe it won’t be. I don’t know 

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah lawsuits will be flying if someone dies of Covid and a business didn’t require their employees to be vaccinated. At the same time, it might be impossible to prove that was the grounds of transmission so maybe it won’t be. I don’t know 

No, they’ll be able to prove it by a preponderance of the evidence, there will be a big judgment upheld on appeal, then the Texas Supreme Court will strike it down in a vague opinion after sitting on it for awhile.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

I've been reading anecdotal stories about employers not giving employees time off to get the vaccine or for any recovery issues that may come up.   This would seem to be especially true in the types of jobs that younger generations tend to fill.  As well, it was only very recently that it opened up to the younger generations.  To be fair, I've read 'nu uh, not for me' type of arguments, but it highlights that there are nuanced instances and it isn't simply all deniers or q-anons or whatnot.

I would prefer carrot more than stick, especially if coming from private corps, but that's just me. 

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

We're not close to being there yet IMHO.

I think there's a bigger group and that's younger people who aren't getting the vaccine for various reasons - maybe young and dumb, maybe putting it off because they think the olds need it, not knowing how available the vaccine is, not taking the time to just go get it, etc.

I think people have been far too eager to push the narrative that this is all Republican kooks and I'm not sure that's entirely the case. It's certainly a problem but outreach amongst the groups that are willing to get the vaccine will be a lot more effective in increasing vaccination rates IMHO.

This.  We are less than 30% of the US population fully vaccinated.  We need to keep it up.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This.  We are less than 30% of the US population fully vaccinated.  We need to keep it up.

It's a third of people over 18 who are fully vaccinated with many of those only recently even being eligible for the vaccine. Many states only made them available to all adults 16 and up just last week (California, Washington, Oregon, and Virginia are the biggest) and nearly half didn't make them eligible until the first of this month. That's a lot of people who still haven't had time to even get the first shot, much less the second. Hopefully J&J being available again will help assuming the CDC/FDA didn't completely fuck the goat with their messaging.

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You can't ignore the estimated 46% of the population that has contracted the virus.  Certainly there is some overlap between them and those who have been vaccinated, but it's not a complete overlap.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

You can't ignore the estimated 46% of the population that has contracted the virus.  Certainly there is some overlap between them and those who have been vaccinated, but it's not a complete overlap.

How many of them know they contracted the virus though?

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

It's a third of people over 18 who are fully vaccinated with many of those only recently even being eligible for the vaccine. Many states only made them available to all adults 16 and up just last week (California, Washington, Oregon, and Virginia are the biggest) and nearly half didn't make them eligible until the first of this month. That's a lot of people who still haven't had time to even get the first shot, much less the second. Hopefully J&J being available again will help assuming the CDC/FDA didn't completely fuck the goat with their messaging.

I did see a bad thing today that said 73% of the currently unvaccinated are not willing to get the J&J shot.  Less than a third think it's safe.

So that's bad. 

• Rage+1 1

U.S. to share up to 60 million doses of AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine with other countries, official says
By Tyler Pager

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/us-to-share-up-to-60-million-doses-of-astrazeneca-coronavirus-vaccine-with-other-countries-official-says/2021/04/26/b2dab8a0-a694-11eb-bca5-048b2759a489_story.html

Also have shipping supplies to india:

"
On Sunday, the National Security Council announced the United States would send India raw materials to help manufacture coronavirus vaccines, therapeutics to treat covid patients, rapid test kits, ventilators and protective equipment for medical staff. The U.S. is also looking to provide oxygen supply
"

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

at some point the private sector will pick up where the govmint leaves off. I'm sure we'll start seeing "proof of vaccination" signs for entry to places. Workplaces will require it.

I sure hope so.  I'm afraid that some companies don't want to go there.

18 hours ago, Okie State said:

Was going to say that I work with educated people so that clearly makes a difference. My company is also very pro vaccine.

This. 
everyone at work with a proper education is now vaccinated.  Both liberals and conservatives.  

NONE of my uneducated employees are willing to get the shot. This includes both whites and minorities. They all believe its going to cause liver and kidney failure in 10 years. 

Edited by Xian