CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Ok, so there has to be something that can be done to shut down an organization like this, yes?

Informed Consent Action Network is a Texas not for profit that spreads the anti-vaxx message.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/26/vaccine-mandate-litigation-siri-glimstad-ican/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F32c4cc4%2F60ae72fc9d2fdae30261199b%2F5eda6577ade4e276b3780729%2F8%2F70%2F60ae72fc9d2fdae30261199b

Also, can we do something about their law firm?

These people cannot be saved.

Nope. Nor should they be. We would all be better off if we gave them all their own states (Kentucky already seems to have a claim), and let them live in their insane, walled-off paradise.

I wonder what he’s gonna think in a couple of years when his family remains perfectly healthy? Nah, I don’t wonder. I don’t give a shit. Fuck that ignorant piece of shit.
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 12:23 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, so there has to be something that can be done to shut down an organization like this, yes?

Informed Consent Action Network is a Texas not for profit that spreads the anti-vaxx message.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/26/vaccine-mandate-litigation-siri-glimstad-ican/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F32c4cc4%2F60ae72fc9d2fdae30261199b%2F5eda6577ade4e276b3780729%2F8%2F70%2F60ae72fc9d2fdae30261199b

Also, can we do something about their law firm?

Send them to Oklahoma? 

I wonder if the politicization of the vaccine has actually helped in blue states. Just as much as retards are refusing to get a vaccine because they need to show their Trump fidelity, I wonder if the opposite it is true for some Trump haters.

I mean, Trump got the fucking vaccine didn’t he?

So you don’t want to get the vax? Unless you have some valid medical reason to not get it, we refuse to treat you if/when you get COVID-19.

45 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Just curious...a woman can say "My body, my choice" and yet that choice leads to a death of human life but a person can't say whether they want to take a vaccine or not?

Just curious... a person can say "I don't want other people making decisions about my body and health" and yet not believe that this should apply to women of childbearing age?

(see how much fun this is!)

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Just curious...a woman can say "My body, my choice" and yet that choice leads to a death of human life but a person can't say whether they want to take a vaccine or not?

What a twisted and weird question. Before anyone is baited into answering, I'd be interested in your take. That's how this works from now on. Pose a stupid question: you gotta answer it first

• Like 1

Forget Covid.  Ohio lawmakers want to abolish all vaccine requirements:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/ohio-lawmakers-want-to-abolish-vaccine-requirements-all-vaccine-requirements/

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine’s “Vax-a-Million” program began Wednesday, running the first of five $1-million weekly lottery drawings open to residents who have been vaccinated. The effort is one of many incentive programs across the country aimed at getting vaccine-hesitant groups to roll up their sleeves, get vaccinated against the deadly coronavirus, and help end the pandemic.

But, while the lottery has already been hailed as a success in boosting vaccination numbers, conservative lawmakers in the Buckeye State appear to be diligently working toward reversing that trend.

Lawmakers are working on legislation to call off the lottery immediately. They’re also trying to head off any plans for “vaccine passports.” And last month, they introduced a sweeping anti-vaccination bill that would essentially demolish public health and vaccination requirements in the state—and not just requirements for COVID-19 vaccines—requirements for any vaccine.

House Bill 248, introduced last month by Rep. Jennifer Gross (R-West Chester), would allow anyone to decline any vaccine with a simple verbal declaration based on “reasons of conscience.”

The bill would let people off the hook for vaccine requirements set by virtually any entity. The bill lists them, naming: individuals, businesses (like day cares), corporations, trusts, business trusts, estates, associations, partnerships, cities, counties, townships, municipal corporations, school districts, health districts, a city’s health board, any public official, public offices, or any state agency (defined as any institution or organization that receives any support from the state).

If any of the above entities even tries to institute a vaccine requirement, it would be required under HB 248 to notify people that they are able to decline. The entities are not allowed to disclose who has declined. And they “shall not discriminate against, deny service or access to, segregate, require a facial covering or other vaccination status label for, or otherwise penalize an individual financially or socially for declining a vaccination.”

HB 248 also notes that the act should be referred to as the “Vaccine Choice and Anti-Discrimination Act.”

Spoiler

K-12 schools in Ohio have allowed for vaccine requirement exemptions based on “reasons of conscience,” but they have required written statements—not just verbal declarations.

That would change under HB 248. Also, universities and day cares could no longer require students to have vaccinations, which prevent outbreaks of deadly diseases and protect children and adolescents who are medically unable to be vaccinated or are immunocompromised from being exposed to deadly diseases. Employers, including hospitals and health care facilities, would not be able to require vaccinations for their workers. This could potentially make workplaces unsafe from preventable infectious disease outbreaks and place any medically vulnerable person at high risk. And businesses would not be able ask unvaccinated employees, customers, or clients to wear masks or take other measures to prevent the spread of disease—even if there were high-risk individuals present, like cancer survivors and people who have compromised immune systems.

This is, by all accounts, a step backward in efforts to protect public health.

State Rep. Beth Liston (D-Dublin) blasted the bill, telling The Columbus Dispatch, “Not only would it prevent schools, businesses and communities from putting safety measures in place related to COVID, it will impact the health of our children... This bill applies to all vaccines—polio, measles, meningitis, etc. If it becomes law we will see worsening measles outbreaks, meningitis in the dorms, and children once again suffering from polio.”

The Dispatch reported that 50 business associations, health care groups, and hospitals sent a letter to the House Health Committee this week, also objecting to the bill.

“At its core, this proposal would destroy our current public health framework that prevents outbreaks of potentially lethal diseases, threatens the stability of our economy as it recovers from a devastating pandemic and jeopardizes the way we live, learn, work and celebrate life,” the letter said.

The Ohio Association of Health Plans, which represents health insurers in the state, issued a similar statement Tuesday, according to the Ohio Capital Journal.

“HB 248 would put all Ohioans at risk while increasing the cost of health care for families, individuals and businesses,” spokesperson Dan Williamson said. “This proposal applies to all immunizations, including childhood vaccines. If passed, this legislation could reverse decades of immunity from life-threatening, but vaccine-preventable diseases such as measles, mumps, hepatitis, meningitis and tuberculosis.”

This is why I don't understand the fear by some that we'll be required to have a vaccine to participate in society. If anything we've moved in the opposite direction over the past few decades. I don't remember anti-vaxxers even being a thing when I was a kid. Maybe they were and I just didn't know about it.

Is my sperm human and alive?
Not trying to debate about abortion/human life, just the fact that people want to be protected from the government in interfering with their body but don't have a problem when it fits their agenda. Sometimes having freedoms, such as being able to have abortions may have other consequential rights.

1 minute ago, Both Tacos said:
4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not trying to debate about abortion/human life, just the fact that people want to be protected from the government in interfering with their body but don't have a problem when it fits their agenda. Sometimes having freedoms, such as being able to have abortions may have other consequential rights.

You’re not making any sense. 

5 minutes ago, Okie State said:

This is why I don't understand the fear by some that we'll be required to have a vaccine to participate in society. If anything we've moved in the opposite direction over the past few decades. I don't remember anti-vaxxers even being a thing when I was a kid. Maybe they were and I just didn't know about it.

It used to be small pockets of citizens. Religious groups, homeopathic types. The Jenny McCarthy/Andrew Wakefield 'vaccines cause autism' bit created confusion for parts of the population. Social media gave anti-vax proponents a way to spread their ideology quickly across a variety of groups and the platform algorithms helped as well. In addition, there was organization by these groups to reach out to specific communities, such as the ultra Orthodox observers, etc. Pamphlets, seminars, etc. Grifters came in and began to profit by making videos, and other satellite productions. Entities that wish to take advantage of sowing division within our country also have been proven to spread the disinformation.

A part of our populace cannot be vaccinated due to immunity issues and/or allergic reactions. This part of the population relies on the vaccinated for protection. Each virus has a threshold and if more and more people opt out, the protection goes down. Plus vaccines don't work on everyone so that is a risk as well. Texas has had measles outbreaks in schools where vaccine waiver use is high. Life is a risk and always has been, but public health was designed so communities weren't laid waste due to the variables of disease.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bookman said:

What's next? Is Ohio going to make it illegal to discriminate against stupid people?

Immigrants from Buffalo are the ruling class.

8 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

It's really quite simple. One is a personal choice that impacts that immediate family only. The other has the potential to impact anyone you come across in your day to day. If you didn't go out in society, then who cares if you don't want to vaccinate because you are not a risk to everyone around you. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

I picture some 'Americans' several decades ago looking in the eyes of one sick child after another and thinking, "Meh...my body, my choice.  This polio thing will blow over.  Probably just a bad flu with a bit of a limp involved."  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I picture some 'Americans' several decades ago looking in the eyes of one sick child after another and thinking, "Meh...my body, my choice.  This polio thing will blow over.  Probably just a bad flu with a bit of a limp involved."  

The Global Polio Initiative has worked tirelessly since 1988 to eradicate the disease. The anti vax crowd can hate on Bill Gates, but his funding has helped enormously in reducing cases of wild poliovirus to where it is almost eradicated. Five out of the six WHO regions are now poliovirus-free. But you, know, let's just allow the virus which has no agenda other than to find a host and replicate free reign to spread.

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

I mean, Trump got the fucking vaccine didn’t he?

So you don’t want to get the vax? Unless you have some valid medical reason to not get it, we refuse to treat you if/when you get COVID-19.

Even though Trump got vaxxed, to many, getting the vax is an admission that, "Okay, maybe this was a little more serious than I let on. It's not just the flu." It's hard to give the "other side" even a tiny win after 14 months of built up resentment and cries that everything being done is a gross overreaction. Honestly, I'd wager there at least 25% of the people most vocal about not getting vaxxed already have it, or will get it in secret eventually.

It's pathetic, but I at least understand the pathology.

In some ways, I respect the anti-vaxxers way more than my dad's wife, who never once wore a mask on principle alone, dismissed it as a giant nothing burger, wished bodily harm on all the evil liberals forcing people to abide by draconian restrictions...and then was literally first in line to get her vaccine.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

Apologies for cross-posting, but I don't know where the fuck to post Covid-related news anymore. For all of those questioning why the Biden Administration isn't DOING SOMETHING to investigate the lab leak theory, here's this:

Just now, slorch said:

Better (extremely) late than never…

Lol shouldn't that have been something that the trump admin was on top of? Oh wait, the state pompeo department only produced unusable information without any backing evidence that was based on cherry-picking stats or back trump's conspiracy theories.

It's almost like Biden had to start over from scratch or something....

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lol shouldn't that have been something that the trump admin was on top of? Oh wait, the state pompeo department only produced unusable information without any backing evidence that was based on cherry-picking stats or back trump's conspiracy theories.

It's almost like Biden had to start over from scratch or something....

But xenophobia…

Trump was promptly told to STFU when this was broached.  Not that he ever listened.

The deferential treatment of China is a fucking problem. It is NOT the China virus, remember?

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

But xynophobia…

Trump was promptly told to STFU when this was broached.  Not that he ever listened.

He was told to STFU because he did not bring any evidence to back his assertion that CHYNA was UNLEASHING COVID. And his administrations investigations, led primarily by the state dept under pompeo, only gave cherry-picked data and disprovable inferences to back it up.

Is your position that trump was constrained by the left, and because of political pressure, failed to sufficiently investigate an issue of importance?

• Hook 'Em 1

My position is that there was absolutely political pressure to avoid further  investigation.

The politicization of the whole ordeal is bullshit. How the fuck do we pick sides on something that affects eveyone?  Welp…we found a way to do it in spades.

Edited by slorch

It's pretty hard to trust what the Trump administration says when they were in pure reaction to whatever dumb shit he said. Forced to make things up to make what he said reality, instead of reality dictating what he said. So yes, everyone has a feeling that China fucked up and inadvertently let loose this virus, but that doesn't mean we blindly take the word of Trump without some sort of independent investigation to prove out the cause. 

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:
5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The simple distinction to your dumb comparison is that we require people to get vaccines not for their own safety, but for the safety of others. And generally those requirements aren't blanket, but rather only apply if the person wants to participate in certain aspects of public life (e.g., public schooling). In a very real sense it is negligence to not get vaccinated if able because you are exposing others to risk. Abortion has a limited set of consequences that can't propagate to others in society.

Government interferes in our lives in a lot of ways. We have many laws that dictate what we can and cannot do. The primary limitation on government's authority is found in the Constitution of the United States and the constitutions of the various states (technically, the first is supposed to dictate the extent of powers as opposed to establishing limits, but that isn't the practical reality). Here, a women's right to decide whether or not to carry a pregnancy to term has been well established as protected by the Constitution. No such protection has been extended to the right to endanger others by not getting vaccine. In fact, the existence of such a right has been roundly rejected. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

My position is that there was absolutely political pressure to avoid further  investigation.

The politicization of the whole ordeal is bullshit. How the fuck do we pick sides on something that affects eveyone?  Welp…we found a way to do it in spades.

Slorch'd!

Look, the only reason there was any "politicization" of investigation into China is because Trump sought to deflect blame in that direction during the midst of a crisis when directing fault was not productive (efforts much more productively directed towards staunching spread while vaccines were developed).

We are now at a point where, in the US at least, the virus is coming under control, and we have the luxury of delving into the cause to help us determine how to prevent the next pandemic.  If in fact China fucked up, then let's figure out how to prevent that from happening again.  By making it adversarial (as Trump and Pompeo clearly did early on), we effectively eliminated the chance of any substantial cooperation from China in getting to the bottom of things (if there ever were any such chance).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

It's pretty hard to trust what the Trump administration says when they were in pure reaction to whatever dumb shit he said. Forced to make things up to make what he said reality, instead of reality dictating what he said. So yes, everyone has a feeling that China fucked up and inadvertently let loose this virus, but that doesn't mean we blindly take the word of Trump without some sort of independent investigation to prove out the cause. 

Who suggested taking Trump’s word just because?  There was no investigation, independent or otherwise… or we risked upsetting China. GASP!

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

Your position is bullshit. No one has any issue with investigating the origin of the virus.  I mean, fuck, Biden has literally said we should investigate the lab origin hypothesis. The WHO has said we need to further investigate the lab origin hypothesis. Faucci has said we need to further investigate the lab origin hypothesis. And we've been investigating, but unfortunately were hampered by our limited access to China, particularly in the early days of the contagion because somebody decided that we didn't need boots on the ground or to participate in health research that didn't directly benefit him. Where we have an issue is when an investigation is dedicated to finding a pre-determined conclusion as opposed to the truth. And that's why one probe in one department of the government was shut down. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:
6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If a doctor can cut open a human with a sharp knife, why can't I? I guess it just depends on whose agenda it fits.

Side note: I'm amused at how a word like "agenda" has been twisted into something necessariy evil and to be hated by the Fear Party. There is an agenda for vaccination:

1. People won't die
  2. Society can return to a more normal function
  3. The national economy can run better
  4. Level of fear gets lowered 

Some agendas aren't hidden evil things. I know the death cult might see reducing fear as an evil, but they're psychos.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

E2cWUycX0AYETx2?format=jpg&name=900x900

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Do people spike the football on someone who didn't get the flu vaccine yet dies from the flu? This is so bizarre. I got the JJ vaccine. If someone doesn't want to get it that's their (stupid imo) decision and risk they want to take. Other than that who gives a fuck.

• Fuck You 1