CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

21 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Message delivered.  We shall see.  

The exact conversation with my brother:

Me: "I really wish you would consider getting the vaccine.  Specifically, the Moderna or Pfizer.  I am worried about the Delta variant.  Mom and dad got J&J, and I am not sure what the efficacy of their vaccine is against this new variant......

Him:  "My feelings are hurt when people try and pressure me...."

Me: "Well, my feelings would be hurt if you killed one of our parents because you were unvaccinated."

Him: "You shouldn't talk to your family like that." and he hung up.

He proceeded to tell my mom I told him what to do.  She knows I did not, and I said I was using facts and he brought in feelings.  Fuck his feelings.  

What self respecting man talks like that? You either made all of this up or your brother is the biggest pussy east of the Mississippi.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No. The more people who have it, the more chances it has to mutate into new forms that our vaccinations don’t protect us against. 

Which is going to happen whether the US reaches 100% vaccination levels or not.  Mutations, that is.  Not necessarily forms that get past the current vaccines.

Dad and new wife (mom died, and you don't want pics of anyone mentioned in this post) are in town for 5 days (uninvited, just decided "hey, we're coming out to visit in June/July").
Took two cars to go vacay at a National Park, drove up yesterday and back today. Conversation about balancing "rights" and responsibilities led to the following:
"Well, I'm not vaccinated either. I don't trust Bill Gates, Dr Fauci, or our government..." (my dad's wife, midway through a three hour drive home, after being unmasked around my kids for two days)
While my wife/kids are all vaccinated, I should probably mention that one of my daughters is immunocompromised (and we had to work closely with her physicians to get her vaxed safely). Today's revelation led to my discovering that my wife really does pick up on some of the colorful swear words that I've used during football season.
I understand (cognitively) people's fears/logic/stupidity about not getting vaccinated. What I'm really unhinged about is that this wasn't something that was shared before they arrived or at any point prior to getting in spending time with the kids. At least give me the chance to make a decision about what response (if any) might be needed or taken for my family.
I would have told them to GTFO. Seriously. If they don't give a shit about your family's health, why allow them to spend time with your family?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Which is going to happen whether the US reaches 100% vaccination levels or not.  Mutations, that is.  Not necessarily forms that get past the current vaccines.

That’s not a valid argument for anyone who can get vaccinated not to get vaccinated. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

I'm not sure that's the case, though I'm not a doctor.  COVID has a Ro value of 2.4, or something like that.  So a given person who is unvaccinated and infected will pass it on to 2 or 3 other people.  All presenting new opportunities for mutation.  A vaccinated person who becomes infected has a far lower possibility of passing the infection on to others, though to what extent in numbers I have no idea.  That means less mutation potential.  That's astronomically a better outcome, not just a minor difference.

Any medical experts out there please chime in.  I'm curious what the real numbers are on a vaccinated person's ability to spread the virus, if any, actually is.

I never thought a Governor from Arkansas, of all people, would do something I want the media to do every day, but here we are: 

More than 90% of active virus cases are people who have not been vaccinated, Gov. Asa Hutchinson said during the briefing.
The state saw 988 Covid-19 deaths since late January, and 99.6% of those deaths were people who were not vaccinated, Hutchinson added. In the same time period, more than 98% of those hospitalized with Covid-19 were not vaccinated.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/02/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

Edit:

Ack!  Ro is worse for COVID that previously reported.  It's up to 5.7 in some studies.  Perhaps this is taking into account the newer Delta variant?

Edited by 27-25

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s not a valid argument for anyone who can get vaccinated not to get vaccinated. 

Of course not.  IMO, its not really a good selling point to convince anyone to get vaccinated either.  There are clearly plenty of selling points for the vaccine, though.  

Edited by Don Johnson

16 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

I'm not sure that's the case, though I'm not a doctor.  COVID has a Ro value of 2.4, or something like that.  So a given person who is unvaccinated and infected will pass it on to 2 or 3 other people.  All presenting new opportunities for mutation.  A vaccinated person who becomes infected has a far lower possibility of passing the infection on to others, though to what extent in numbers I have no idea.  That means less mutation potential.  That's astronomically a better outcome, not just a minor difference.

Any medical experts out there please chime in.  I'm curious what the real numbers are on a vaccinated person's ability to spread the virus, if any, actually is.

I never thought a Governor from Arkansas, of all people, would do something I want the media to do every day, but here we are: 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/02/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

Edit:

Ack!  Ro is worse for COVID that previously reported.  It's up to 5.7 in some studies.  Perhaps this is taking into account the newer Delta variant?

What I'm saying is these mutations will happen in other parts of the world - like they have been - even if we reach 100% here.  We don't live in a vacuum.  

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

What I'm saying is these mutations will happen in other parts of the world - like they have been - even if we reach 100% here.  We don't live in a vacuum.  

100% correct.  Which is why the US and the rest of the western world should be pushing vaccinations everywhere.  No one on the planet should fail to get a vaccine if they want one.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Biden administration has committed to shipping millions of doses of the vaccine to other countries. Same with our European allies. It only makes sense that we should focus first on our own populations but it’s important that as many people on earth as possible get vaccinated. It’s to our benefit for that to happen. What’s embarrassing is that we have a lot of fools in or own country who refuse to get vaccinated and they mostly have one thing in common. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am not on the loan docs.  I offered to pay for my parents' house since they did so much for me, so I am doing so.  But I do not have to.  And unless they force the issue with my brother, then I will not anymore.  My mom has tried, but he is one of those that will dig in his heels because he is a stubborn, selfish asshole.

The amount of disinformation out there about the vaccines, anyone that posts it on social media is ACTUALLY hurting people.  This shit needs to stop.    

My ex is a total nut-job and is really, really pushing hard to not let our kids get vaccinated. I haven't pushed the issue yet but will start in the coming weeks. Ex, at one time anyway, was on the COVID vaccine leading to inability of females to get pregnant later in life. My daughter turns 16 in August and wants the shot. (Even though my daughter loves her mother, she has told me she sometimes wishes she'd fuck around/find out and get COVID to understand the need for getting the vaccine.) My son is 13 and I'm sure he's OK either way. Not sure I'm ready for nuclear war, which is what would be coming if I took them to get vaccines behind her back.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The Biden administration has committed to shipping millions of doses of the vaccine to other countries. Same with our European allies. It only makes sense that we should focus first on our own populations but it’s important that as many people on earth as possible get vaccinated. It’s to our benefit for that to happen. What’s embarrassing is that we have a lot of fools in or own country who refuse to get vaccinated and they mostly have one thing in common. 

This.  If you want to attack a global pandemic (analogy: a wildfire), the first thing you do is tackle the fire burning immediately on and around your property, and the second thing you do is attack the wildfire surrounding you so it doesn't spread to your property.

This isn't hard.  It's fucking virus management 101.

But so many of us are too fucking stupid for that.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

This is just perfect.

BTW, on a personal note I'm going to see a pulmonologist in the next few weeks. A world-reknowned pulmonologist has been a long-time patient of my father-in-law (dentist) and he's going to see me this month.

My wife and I have been walking 2+ miles five or six times a week since last summer and my cardio fitness just doesn't seem to be improving. I had COVID last March. It wasn't overly severe -- felt like a mild/middling hangover -- but lasted for 3+ weeks. As I've said numerous times on this site, I never got tested as I didn't have fever and found out with antibody test in late April.

I've been waiting for my physical fitness to improve -- we take the same route every time and it includes a rather steep hill near the end. It still kicks my ass even though we've logged over 600 miles since we started last year. My PCP has also reached out to a cardiologist and a stress test might be in my future. FTR, I take meds for cholesterol and blood pressure -- and have since 2012.

At any rate, I'm concerned my COVID experience might have long-lasting effects and I've decided to go check it out. And yet still assholes are out there defiantly saying they're not getting the vaccine (but 'muh rights!).

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Do you try to walk further than 2 miles sometimes?

I haven't pushed it. Most of the time I'm pretty much toast by the time we get back to the house (say 75% of the time) and the idea of going further seems impossible. And we do it in evenings so I usually need to get going on dinner or getting kids motivated on night-time things like homework/showers/etc. I mentioned it to my PCP last summer at my physical and he asked if I was improving, however slight it might be, he wasn't worried. I thought I was at the time but only a little. I really feel like I've plateaued since we flipped the calendar to 2021. It could very well be my mix of meds -- I take several things for blood pressure -- and I hope a trip to the pulmonologist/cardiologist shed some light on that.

20 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I haven't pushed it. Most of the time I'm pretty much toast by the time we get back to the house (say 75% of the time) and the idea of going further seems impossible. And we do it in evenings so I usually need to get going on dinner or getting kids motivated on night-time things like homework/showers/etc. I mentioned it to my PCP last summer at my physical and he asked if I was improving, however slight it might be, he wasn't worried. I thought I was at the time but only a little. I really feel like I've plateaued since we flipped the calendar to 2021. It could very well be my mix of meds -- I take several things for blood pressure -- and I hope a trip to the pulmonologist/cardiologist shed some light on that.

Obviously do whatever the doctor says. I was just thinking generally, if you walk 2 miles each time, then you wouldn’t see much improvement in stamina unless you increase pace or distance. Again, not a doctor, don’t listen to me. Do what your doctors says 

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Protects Against Delta Variant, Company Reports
The vaccine also produced long-lasting immune responses, researchers said. Booster shots seem unnecessary, at least for now.

By Apoorva Mandavilli

The Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine is effective against the highly contagious Delta variant, even eight months after inoculation, the company reported on Thursday — a finding that should reassure the 11 million Americans who have gotten the shot.

The vaccine showed a small drop in potency against the variant, compared with its effectiveness against the original virus, the company said. But the vaccine was more effective against the Delta variant than the Beta variant, first identified in South Africa — the pattern also seen with mRNA vaccines.

Antibodies stimulated by the vaccine grow in strength over time, researchers also reported.

The results were described in a news release, and the company said that both studies had been submitted for online publication on Thursday. One of those studies has been accepted for publication in a scientific journal. Both studies are small, and the researchers said they had released the results early because of intense interest from the public.

“The coverage of the variants is going to be better than what people anticipated,” said Dr. Dan Barouch, a virologist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. “There was a lot of misinformation that was spreading, so we decided that we needed to get this into the public domain right away.”

The intense discourse about Delta’s threat has left even people who are immunized feeling anxious about whether they are protected. The variant, first identified in India, is much more transmissible than earlier versions of the virus, and its global spread has prompted new health restrictions from Ireland to Malaysia.

In the United States, the variant now accounts for one in four new infections. Public health officials have said the vaccines authorized in the United States work against all existing variants, but the data are mostly based on studies of the mRNA vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.

That left some people who received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine asking, What about us?

The frustration was building even before the Delta variant emerged. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidance that vaccinated people could forgo masks indoors in many situations, for instance, was based mostly on data for mRNA vaccines. And reports of a cluster of infections among players on the Yankees baseball team who had received the J.&J. shot did nothing to assuage fears that the vaccine might be inferior to others.

Martha Young, 63, of Mountain View, Calif., received the J.&J. shot on April 9. It was not her first choice, but it was what was being offered. But since then, she said, “I’ve been very, very frustrated by the lack of information.”

She added, referring to the J.&J. vaccine, “I felt like I didn’t count, like I was statistically insignificant because so few of us have the shot that they didn’t have to worry about us.”

Some people who were immunized with the J.&J. vaccine complained that they felt cheated by experts who had said the vaccines were all equally good. “I was surprised to see others making this claim,” said Natalie Dean, a biostatistician at the University of Florida. “I didn’t like it. People don’t want to feel misled.”

But other experts said the clinical trials should have made it apparent that the efficacy of the J.&J. vaccine was lower than that of the mRNA vaccines. “Seventy-two percent is of course lower than 95 or 94 percent,” said Florian Krammer, an immunologist at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York.

Part of the difficulty in comparing the vaccines is that they were all tested individually and with different measures of success. The Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna trials were designed to tally symptomatic infections, while the J.&J. trial assessed the vaccine’s prevention of moderate to severe infections.

Still, it’s clear that all the vaccines are much more effective at keeping people out of the intensive care unit and the morgue than scientists at first could have hoped, said Danny Altmann, an immunologist at Imperial College London.

“It’s like fighting over whether you want to have a Ferrari or a Porsche which goes 150 miles or 180 miles an hour in a street where you’re only allowed to go 30 miles an hour,” he said.

Still, there are differences: The J.&J. vaccine may permit more so-called breakthrough infections — which occur in people who are fully vaccinated — with mild to no symptoms than the mRNA vaccines do.

People with asymptomatic infections are highly unlikely to spread the virus, but their diagnosis can become a problem when routine testing picks them up — as in the case of the Yankees cluster — and they are required to go into quarantine, said John Moore, a virologist at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York.

Information about the effectiveness of the J.&J. vaccine has been slow to arrive, because it was rolled out later and because of the pause on its use following concerns about rare blood clots. Many medical centers and hospitals offered the mRNA vaccines early on to staff members and were able to set up studies assessing those vaccines.

But blood samples from people vaccinated with the J.&J. vaccine are a comparatively rare commodity, Dr. Krammer said. “It’s not that nobody cares, or it’s not we’re hiding something because the vaccine is not good,” he said. “It’s more of an access problem.”

In the absence of data, some experts had guessed that the J.&J. shot probably performed about as well against the Delta variant as the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is widely used in Europe. But that vaccine is given as two doses compared with J.&J.’s single dose.

“The thing that I’ve never completely understood about J.&J. is that their technology platform is essentially very, very similar — almost indistinguishable from AstraZeneca,” Dr. Altmann said. “Should it really be a two-dose vaccine like everything else?”

The single dose offers advantages for people with limited access or who do not want two doses for other reasons. The J.&J. vaccine also lasts longer than the others when refrigerated and was a welcome option earlier in the pandemic when vaccines were in short supply.

But after the emergence of variants like Beta and Delta that appear to partly sidestep the immune system, discussion about boosters for J.&J. recipients intensified. One dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine is much less effective against variants than two doses, and experts feared the J.&J. shot might be similar.

The new study addressed some of those concerns. The researchers tracked immune responses in volunteers 29 and 239 days after the first inoculation. Ten of the study participants received only one dose of the J.&J. vaccine, while 10 others got a second dose of the J.&J. shot or an mRNA vaccine.

While blood antibody levels produced after immunization with Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna drop after an initial surge, antibodies — and immune cells — stimulated by the J.&J. vaccine persisted at high levels, the researchers found. (Other studies, however, have shown that immune responses produced by mRNA vaccines are also likely to last for years.)

A second dose of the J.&J. vaccine boosted antibody levels still higher. An mRNA booster raised them even further, although the numbers in each group are too small to be statistically significant.

Eight months after the J.&J. inoculation, the participants’ antibodies also appeared to be more effective against the variants than they had been at the one month mark. One participant who got a single dose became infected with the coronavirus.

A dearth of information about the immune response to the J.&J. vaccine had led many people to speculate that they might need a second shot, a dose of an mRNA vaccine. But the new findings suggest that at least for now, people who received the J.&J. vaccine do not need a booster.

Nor can they legally get one, “unless they game the system, unless they pretend they’re vaccine-naïve and go and get an mRNA vaccine and essentially lie,” Dr. Moore said. “And I certainly don’t recommend people doing that.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/01/health/coronavirus-johnson-vaccine-delta.html

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Protects Against Delta Variant, Company Reports
The vaccine also produced long-lasting immune responses, researchers said. Booster shots seem unnecessary, at least for now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/01/health/coronavirus-johnson-vaccine-delta.html

The responses I see to all of this data, including the numbers in Texas that show that among our dead this year, 99.969% were UNvaccinated, and only .031% WERE vaccinated?  "I'll still  take my chances."

Our species is too stupid to continue.  We should just pack it in and give the cockroaches a chance to try out the "evolve into intelligent life" thing.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The responses I see to all of this data, including the numbers in Texas that show that among our dead this year, 99.969% were UNvaccinated, and only .031% WERE vaccinated?  "I'll still  take my chances."

Our species is too stupid to continue.  We should just pack it in and give the cockroaches a chance to try out the "evolve into intelligent life" thing.

I don't totally disagree, but I was more or less posting that for folks like Biff and myself who were J&J recipients and had concerns that all the 'good news' was mRNA based stuff only.

Also, climate change will most likely do most of in.  Not sure if a virus is included as a side effect of that or not.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

This is just perfect.

BTW, on a personal note I'm going to see a pulmonologist in the next few weeks. A world-reknowned pulmonologist has been a long-time patient of my father-in-law (dentist) and he's going to see me this month.

My wife and I have been walking 2+ miles five or six times a week since last summer and my cardio fitness just doesn't seem to be improving. I had COVID last March. It wasn't overly severe -- felt like a mild/middling hangover -- but lasted for 3+ weeks. As I've said numerous times on this site, I never got tested as I didn't have fever and found out with antibody test in late April.

I've been waiting for my physical fitness to improve -- we take the same route every time and it includes a rather steep hill near the end. It still kicks my ass even though we've logged over 600 miles since we started last year. My PCP has also reached out to a cardiologist and a stress test might be in my future. FTR, I take meds for cholesterol and blood pressure -- and have since 2012.

At any rate, I'm concerned my COVID experience might have long-lasting effects and I've decided to go check it out. And yet still assholes are out there defiantly saying they're not getting the vaccine (but 'muh rights!).

Hope you feel better but I will say, based on your avatar, I read this and figure you will just suck the energy out of people and be back to normal like Colin would do on WWDITS.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

My ex is a total nut-job and is really, really pushing hard to not let our kids get vaccinated. I haven't pushed the issue yet but will start in the coming weeks. Ex, at one time anyway, was on the COVID vaccine leading to inability of females to get pregnant later in life. My daughter turns 16 in August and wants the shot. (Even though my daughter loves her mother, she has told me she sometimes wishes she'd fuck around/find out and get COVID to understand the need for getting the vaccine.) My son is 13 and I'm sure he's OK either way. Not sure I'm ready for nuclear war, which is what would be coming if I took them to get vaccines behind her back.

Take them and tell them not to mention it. There's no reason why the ex's stupidity should trump your sanity.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Hope you feel better but I will say, based on your avatar, I read this and figure you will just suck the energy out of people and be back to normal like Colin would do on WWDITS.

Well, I will be celebrating my 100th birthday during Season 3

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just think about it. There's a deadly pandemic going around, and the human species has quickly and efficiently made some of the most advanced and effective vaccines in history. The most powerful government in the history of the world has made them readily available to its citizens for no cost.

And millions of people won't get vaccinated because of something they read on the Internet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

This is just perfect.

Does your pulse increase appropriately with exertion?

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What do they have in common? Anti-vaxxers are a diverse group.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My four immediate family members are all unvaccinated and aren't going to be, apparently.  I'm the youngest.  I'm preparing for the possibility that one of them might die of stupidity.  I'm sad, but god damn, they taught me to think critically.  I'm not sure where they failed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

For the most part, who they fucking voted for.  This isn't rocket science.

It's a diverse group. It's not just white Trump supporters. I know it's easier to look at things as binary that's not the case here. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

My four immediate family members are all unvaccinated and aren't going to be, apparently.  I'm the youngest.  I'm preparing for the possibility that one of them might die of stupidity.  I'm sad, but god damn, they taught me to think critically.  I'm not sure where they failed.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

They're all fucking stupid.

1 hour ago, lmao said:

It's a diverse group. It's not just white Trump supporters. I know it's easier to look at things as binary that's not the case here. 

Of my four family members, I think only one of them voted for dotard and, fucking ironically, she’s the one I most expected to get vaccinated. She voted for him because of taxes, which is dumb on its own, but my parents (especially mom) were full on Obama/Biden voters. It takes all kinds to destroy democracy.

Other sister is the anti-vaxxer, so bye. 

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

For the most part, who they fucking voted for.  This isn't rocket science.

Not necessarily. The Boomers who voted for Trump seem to be all-in on the vaccine, at least those in my circles. My parents and all of my in-laws -- I have two sets -- all happily got vaccinated. Every single one of them (6-for-6) voted for Trump either for racist reasons or at least pocketbook reasons. They're all in their mid-70's and probably afraid of being stupid and dying. It's the redneck Republicans, the ones who vote for Trump even though he's helping the rich Republicans and not them, and Q or Trumpy Republicans under the age of 50 (maybe 60) without obvious comorbidities who seem to be anti-vax.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This infuriates me.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/un-approved-vaccine-allowed-travel-123932417.html

The WHO approved the significantly less effective Chinese vaccines because…I guess it didn’t want to hurt China’s fee fees, and is now putting pressure on the west to also accept these vaccines.

Fucking ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 5

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This infuriates me.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/un-approved-vaccine-allowed-travel-123932417.html

The WHO approved the significantly less effective Chinese vaccines because…I guess it didn’t want to hurt China’s fee fees, and is now putting pressure on the west to also accept these vaccines.

Fucking ridiculous.

case noi GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 8:42 AM, StruggleBus said:

What self respecting man talks like that? You either made all of this up or your brother is the biggest pussy east of the Mississippi.

You are such a cunt.  Go fuck yourself.  Also, lol at you stalking all my posts and negging them.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Like 1