CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

AKA, the FDA told them they needed a larger sample size, and therefore it will be 2022 before they petition the FDA for an EUA. 

To me until you force all the unvaccinated adults to get the vaccine, pushing down to 5 year olds doesn’t make a shit. They can still transmit the virus even if vaccinated and serious illness/death has been non-existent in the under 12 age groups. 
Tie all federal benefits to being vaccinated and watch how fast this shit turns around. 

34 minutes ago, NC Tigah said:

Sawbonz,

I messaging because I apparently don't have ability to respond directly to your post on the CR forum. 

Depending on severity of infection and age, degree of immunity following infection may or may not exceed post-vaccination immunity. There is also some thought that natural immunity is less effective vs evolved strains (e.g. Delta Variant).

Why COVID-19 Vaccines Offer Better Protection Than Infection (Misleading title, as severe infections and infections in the elderly confer greater protection)

Antibodies elicited by mRNA-1273 vaccination bind more broadly to the receptor binding domain than do those from SARS-CoV-2 infection (6/30/21)

Several recent papers examine natural immunity separately.

• Most recovered COVID-19 patients mount broad, durable immunity after infection
  • Neutralizing antibodies show a bi-phasic decay with half-lives >200 days
  • Spike IgG+ memory B cells increase and persist post-infection
  • Durable polyfunctional CD4 and CD8 T cells recognize distinct viral epitope regions

27 May 2021: Had COVID? You’ll probably make antibodies for a lifetime

Hope this helps.

Feel free to post any/all of it on your board.

Cheers, NCT

Thanks Tigah and welcome to surly.  I’ll take a look at the links. They seem to be measuring titers in vitro. What I would like to see is rates of infections in terms of breakthrough versus reinfections. Higher antibody titers or number of T cells in one group may not me clinically relevant 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Saw an interview with a doctor in Arky and he said the same thing.  People are wheeled into the ER and asking for hydroxy.  He has to explain to them it won't work but they still don't believe him.

give it to them. And shove a uv light up their ass 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

How did you feel after?  I’m weirdly nervous about this. 

I did mine on a Friday.  I was super tired that Friday night, but still managed through a block party for the olympics (no drinking for me).   A bit of that extra tiredness carried through on Saturday. so I mainly chilled around the house.  By Sunday A-OK.  And tiredness was my only complaint.  No fever, no chills.  Oh, and I guess a sore arm for 2 two days, but pretty minor.

I would say my reaction to the J&J shot was a bit more intense--I wasn't just tired with that one, I was wiped out zombie tired.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Having COVID update:

Daughter who is positive never showed one symptom outside of being a little more tired around bedtime / nap time and having a headache the day after her exposure / likely infection.

Wife and youngest haven't shown a symptom and never tested positive. 

Me:

Tested negative (rapid ID now test from Walgreens) a week ago Monday after Daughter popped +. Then started feeling bad that night. Headache and body aches like after 1st shot of Moderna. Then came the chills and night sweets. Then came. the general overall shitty feeling and weakness. Retested Thursday w/ RT-PCR and came back +. Symptoms lasted pretty much through Saturday and were almost completely gone Sunday. Overall shitty feeling peaked around Thursday / Friday.

However, yesterday (Monday) I all of sudden lost my sense of smell. My wife commented that I started to sound different like my nose was stopped up. I realized while I could breathe through my nose, it did feel sensitive / swollen in my sinuses. Then she asked me if I could smell something in the garage. I couldn't ... so then I went to every ridiculous smelling candle in the house to test. No go. Super weird.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Having COVID update:

Daughter who is positive never showed one symptom outside of being a little more tired around bedtime / nap time and having a headache the day after her exposure / likely infection.

Wife and youngest haven't shown a symptom and never tested positive. 

Me:

Tested negative (rapid ID now test from Walgreens) a week ago Monday after Daughter popped +. Then started feeling bad that night. Headache and body aches like after 1st shot of Moderna. Then came the chills and night sweets. Then came. the general overall shitty feeling and weakness. Retested Thursday w/ RT-PCR and came back +. Symptoms lasted pretty much through Saturday and were almost completely gone Sunday. Overall shitty feeling peaked around Thursday / Friday.

However, yesterday (Monday) I all of sudden lost my sense of smell. My wife commented that I started to sound different like my nose was stopped up. I realized while I could breathe through my nose, it did feel sensitive / swollen in my sinuses. Then she asked me if I could smell something in the garage. I couldn't ... so then I went to every ridiculous smelling candle in the house to test. No go. Super weird.

Thanks for posting.  Good luck with all of it, of course.  I'm sure we'd all be interested in updates.  The mixed infection rates with the same household is one of the interesting things I've read in stories like yours.  I have often felt like 'last man standing' when our kids would come home from school with the stomach virus from hell and then pass it on to my wife.  And it often went kid1 to kid 2 to wife.  And it always missed me.  No rhyme or reason that I can tell.  I guess viruses are like that.

Again, best wishes.

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have been wearing masks more and more.  Not all the time, but a lot of New Yorkers are doing the same thing.

Yeah I’ve noticed in austin a lot of people are still masking. I’m at Walgreens getting my Pfizer shot (j&j plus Pfizer) and there are two people probably in their 20s ahead of me. Crazy that they are just now getting vaccinated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Never stopped wearing a mask since my kids aren’t vaccinated.  Didn’t want to carry anything home with me.  But I figure they fucked once school starts.  

maybe not completely screwed, but they're more likely than not to catch it at some point this year during the school year. Thanks, sitler.

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Never stopped wearing a mask since my kids aren’t vaccinated.  Didn’t want to carry anything home with me.  But I figure they fucked once school starts.  

Youve been wearing an N95 this whole time? Damn, dude. 

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Won’t matter in TX and other red states where governors like Hot Wheels has made it illegal for districts to require them. 

We're still unwilling to differentiate between k-5 and 6-12? 

7 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Well there you have it.  Wonder if any of this affects school rules in the fall.

Should.

But my daughter's class was all 4-5 year olds who masked up all day.

She still got it.

And I got it from her.

It's not foolproof. That being said, it probably limited some cases IMO.

So if a bunch of 4 year olds can do it...... then all unvaxxed should.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Should.

But my daughter's class was all 4-5 year olds who masked up all day.

She still got it.

And I got it from her.

It's not foolproof. That being said, it probably limited some cases IMO.

So if a bunch of 4 year olds can do it...... then all unvaxxed should.

Bold part is really surprising to me. 

And 100% agreed all unvaxxed should fuck themselves and wear a mask

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, B00M said:

Bold part is really surprising to me. 

And 100% agreed all unvaxxed should fuck themselves and wear a mask

You're telling me ....

I was super surprised and pissed too.

Glad I'm vaxxed and didn't die ... and all.

But missing 2 weeks of work / working from home while also taking care of kids who can't go to school sucks the big one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Time to crop dust.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah I’ve noticed in austin a lot of people are still masking. I’m at Walgreens getting my Pfizer shot (j&j plus Pfizer) and there are two people probably in their 20s ahead of me. Crazy that they are just now getting vaccinated. 

How do you do this exactly? Doctor's note/scrip? Just go in and fill out paperwork? I haven't done anything yet, but I'm leaning that way but didn't know how to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Well.

I just found out my vaccine outreach program today is going to have some guests.

Governor Meemaw and John Merrill.

Y’all pray for me; specifically ask Jesus to keep from cussing them both out.

Kthxbye

Thanks for all your hard work and effort.

No need to cuss, insults served with sugar are a southern specialty.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

How do you do this exactly? Doctor's note/scrip? Just go in and fill out paperwork? I haven't done anything yet, but I'm leaning that way but didn't know how to do so.

Scheduled an appt online. 

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/vaccination/covid/19/landing?ban=covid_vaccine2_landing_schedule

Went in and filled out one page of yes/no questions (not one of which was have you already had a vaccination) and went in and got the shot.  I had to sign up for the 2nd shot also, but going to not show up for that one.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 9:50 PM, Pods said:

Ugh, probably smart to keep the masks on if you're getting exposed multiple times a day. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/israel-50-of-delta-variant-cases-vaccinated-severe-2021-6

Israel says the Delta variant is infecting vaccinated people, representing as many as 50% of new cases. But they're less severe.

From a month ago. The CDC is under tremendous pressure from the right wing misinformation machine. They didn't want to tell people to mask up, because they were worried it would kill vaccine demand. They are going to be slow on every major recommendation because of this. 

Mask up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Heard from 3 different vaccinated friends in the last 48 hours. Each is a breakthrough case. Mask up and stay 6 feet the fuck away from each other. Delta bringing it from the top rope. 

Suffering symptoms?

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Scheduled an appt online. 

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/vaccination/covid/19/landing?ban=covid_vaccine2_landing_schedule

Went in and filled out one page of yes/no questions (not one of which was have you already had a vaccination) and went in and got the shot.  I had to sign up for the 2nd shot also, but going to not show up for that one.

To clarify when your saw the question, “Has the patient received a dose of COVID-19 vaccination yet?” 

You picked no? I mean technically it’s true for me (J&J for me as well)… because their options is No or Yes (Moderna or Pfizer). 

Edited by YChang

1 minute ago, YChang said:

To clarify when your saw the question, “Has the patient received a dose of COVID-19 vaccination yet?” 

You picked no? I mean technically it’s true for me (J&J for me as well)… because their options is No or Yes (Moderna or Pfizer). 

To clarify, that question was not on the list.

Welp, favorite cousin is in the hospital now with Covid. She isn't young and she isn't skinny, but a lifetime teaching other people's sticky kids has hopefully bulked up her immune system.

No idea on vax status, seemed like at this point it'd be twisting the knife on her husband as he told me about it. I would imagine they've been vaxxed, but honestly don't know.

• Like 6