CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

45 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Gibbets for disinfo spreaders. Everyone start calling your reps (who aren't Republicans) and let's get them on board.

If I had a rep who wasn't a Republican I would. Mine currently has a pinned tweet advocating for privatizing the US Postal Service. Sigh. What was that about the Constitution again, Mr. Patriot-Who-Tried-A-Coup Pete Sessions? Stop Stealing My Mail Service!

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Sorry for the late response - wasn't very active on the board yesterday. Here's the Bama map as of today.

image.thumb.png.b16aa83bb1423ab32f6b1f8a24c6dfc5.png

That clump of four counties in west-central Bama that don't quite suck as much as most others? That's where my bro-in-law the health officer has been putting in work. They have low populations (not West Texas low) and usually come in last in any metric, so it's nice to see them not in last place for once.

Surprised that Mobile is not doing better. That whole British West Florida strip from Tallahassee over to Baton Rouge is like its own crypto-state where they do things their own way.

Of the clump of four low-vax counties south of Birmingham, the one sharing a long border is Shelby, where we manufacture Karens in Frisco-like housing developments, farthest east in Talledega County, which is mostly wooded hills inhabited by Ents and snakes with legs, farthest west is Bibb, where you don't go to sell Confederate flags because they already have some, then farthest south is Chilton where apparently they have defeated the virus with the power of their minds because my FB feed from people there has shown unmasked frolicking for more than a year.

I am due to stand in a room full of people in Chilton county in a few weeks. Avē Imperātor, moritūrī tē salūtant.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I just don't fucking get it. Should we hang Jenny McCarthy up by her toes since she started all this shit? We had 200+ years of good science and a dumb twat who got naked once ruined it for everyone.

I just had to cancel some weekend plans that I was really looking forward to. My gf's crew was having a get-together and it was going to be a reunion of sorts as many of the people attending hadn't seen each other in a while. On the group text thread where everyone was organizing what they were bringing, it was revealed that almost no one was vaccinated. Me and my gf and one other couple (incidentally, the couple we're going to visit in USVI in a couple weeks who are in town visiting family) appeared to be the only ones vaxed. We're also the only ones without kids. There was bunch of talk about everyone getting tested before the gathering to make sure no one had covid. One attendee mentioned they were going to an all-day baby shower the day before with a bunch of kids and unvaxed peeps. I told my gf hell to the nope. We have to submit a negative covid test no more than 5 days prior to our trip. We both agreed we'll self quarantine, if we have to, to make sure we can travel. I don't get it. Many of these are college educated people. They're all seemingly smart and relatively normal. Yet they seem unfazed about potentially repeatedly exposing themselves and their children to a virus that has killed millions. I cannot be a part of that. I will not have on my conscious that I possibly transmitted covid to a kid that died from it. How do their own parents not have at least that much compassion for their children? It's fucking maddening.

Jenny convinced way too many idiots, but the real originator of the modern anti-vax movement is Andrew Wakefield, who bullshitted the now-debunked Lancet "study" linking autism to the MMR vaccine. He didn't just make some methodological errors, every step of his "study" was fraudulent, because (i) a lawyer that was suing MMR vaccine suppliers wanted him to invent some evidence in support of a lawsuit, and (ii) he wanted to scare people into buying diagnostic kits he intended to sell. Millions of people have probably died because of him by now, and it's impossible to know how many others were irreparably harmed.

As of 2012, he lived (and probably still lives) in Austin. 

• Rage+1 1

Not that it's a competition or anything, but the EU has now surpassed our vaccine gold medal count.

The 27 member states of the European Union altogether have now administered more coronavirus vaccine doses per 100 people than the United States, in another sign that inoculations across the bloc have maintained some speed throughout the summer, while they have stagnated for weeks in the United States.

E.U. countries had administered 102.66 doses per 100 people as of Tuesday, while the United States had administered 102.44, according to the latest vaccination figures compiled by Our World in Data. This month, the European Union also overtook the United States in first injections; currently, 58 percent of people across the bloc have received a dose, compared with 56.5 percent in the United States.

The latest figures provide a stark contrast with the early stages of the vaccination campaigns this year, when E.U. countries, facing a shortage of doses and delayed deliveries, looked in envy at the initially more successful efforts in the United States, Britain and Israel.

But the European Union is now vaccinating its populations at a faster pace than most developed countries. More than 70 percent of adults in the bloc have now received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine.

Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Commission, said the achievement put E.U. countries “among the world leaders.”

“The catch-up process has been very successful,” she said in a statement on Tuesday.

As inoculation campaigns in many American states have been marred by widespread anti-vaccine sentiment, E.U. countries have been able to immunize their populations with less pushback.

Around 75 percent of residents in the bloc agree that vaccines are the only way to end the coronavirus pandemic, according to a public survey conducted across the European Union in May.

Furthermore, 79 percent said they intended to get vaccinated “sometime this year.”

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/07/29/world/covid-delta-variant-vaccine#eu-us-vaccinations

For those who don't know, St. Louis (city) and St. Louis County are basically an inverted population version of Austin and Travis County.  The city only has ~ 300K residents, pretty much 50/50 white/black, with a few other minorities sprinkled in.  The county has ~ 1M residents, over 67% white and only 25% black.  It is fairly heavily entrenched in the MAGA world; hence, that County Council meeting and attendee profile.

EDIT:  for clarity, the city is not a part of the county.  The city is not a part of any county.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Jenny convinced way too many idiots, but the real originator of the modern anti-vax movement is Andrew Wakefield, who bullshitted the now-debunked Lancet "study" linking autism to the MMR vaccine. He didn't just make some methodological errors, every step of his "study" was fraudulent, because (i) a lawyer that was suing MMR vaccine suppliers wanted him to invent some evidence in support of a lawsuit, and (ii) he wanted to scare people into buying diagnostic kits he intended to sell. Millions of people have probably died because of him by now, and it's impossible to know how many others were irreparably harmed.

He's not in the TCAD database, at least as far as I could determine.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

He's not in the TCAD database, at least as far as I could determine.

fairly recent article speculates tht he is living in Florida with his girlfriend ..........elle f'n macpherson. 

ttps://www.theaustralian.com.au/weekend-australian-magazine/disgraced-antivaxxer-doctor-andrew-wakefields-new-life/news-story/51edb72f75d9a077679ba952ee680d84

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

We should egg his house 

Friend's dad is a retired doctor in the Shenandoah part of Virginia, and RW.  Guess who just caught Covid?  Takes a special kind of stupid to be a doctor and get Covid but cheers to him surviving.   He wasn't feeling well and prior to his hernia surgery, he had to take a Covid test.  Tested positive.  

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

For those who don't know, St. Louis (city) and St. Louis County are basically an inverted population version of Austin and Travis County.  The city only has ~ 300K residents, pretty much 50/50 white/black, with a few other minorities sprinkled in.  The county has ~ 1M residents, over 67% white and only 25% black.  It is fairly heavily entrenched in the MAGA world; hence, that County Council meeting and attendee profile.

EDIT:  for clarity, the city is not a part of the county.  The city is not a part of any county.

13 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

For fuck's sake stop parroting Bret Weinstein's bullshit.

I still can't believe therapeutics for a novel virus are now political stances. This country is fucked.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

A sheep dip that was invented for killing skin parasites doesn't kill Covid?  Color me surprised.

Fucking professional contrarians trying to pimp nonsense miracle cures when we have an amazing fucking vaccine, because only lame normies follow the crowd and they'd lose Patreon subscribers if they looked like a lame normie, are absolute scum. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

JFC.  This is only going to get worse at the maga states keep electing Q people to rep positions.  God help us all.

This is why gerrymandering is an existential threat to our country. Many of these dipshits would be unelectable in a representative district, even in their state. Lumped in with other like minded zealots, the voters find a like minded clown to represent them. This perpetuates the cycle and drives the Overton Window further and further towards idiocy. The longer we leave gerrymandering unaddressed and sabotaging us, they worse it's going to get. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Hey look, it’s the Charge of the Dim Brigade!

At around 200 Republican Congresspersons, that's roughly $34 million dollars worth of salary and benefits wasting EVERYONE'S time right now on a circus. I don't know about you, but these clowns need to cram back into their car if they are not going to work on infrastructure. JFC.

• Hook 'Em 1

Of course aggy/Titans QB Ryan Tannehill said he wouldn't have gotten vaccinated if not for the NFL's new COVID protocols.

https://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/31327/titans-ryan-tannehill-nfl-trying-to-force-our-hands-on-covid-19-vaccines

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans opened up training camp on Wednesday with a 90% COVID-19 vaccination rate, according to GM Jon Robinson. It's unclear whether those are all fully vaccinated players or players with at least one shot, but one player in the process of getting vaccinated is Ryan Tannehill.

The quarterback spoke to the media after practice and said he's getting vaccinated only because of the NFL's severe protocols for the unvaccinated.

"I am currently in the process right now," Tannehill said. "The NFL has made it clear what they want to happen. If you don't fall in line, they're going to try and make your life miserable because of the protocol.

"I wouldn't have gotten the vaccine without the protocols that they are enforcing on us. I think it's a personal decision for each of us. They are trying to force our hands and ultimately have forced a lot of hands by the protocols. It is what it is."

Tannehill said he loves the game and his team, so he wanted to get vaccinated to help build chemistry with his teammates in the locker room and cafeteria as well as on the field. According to Tannehill, the Titans brought doctors and other medical authorities to help educate the players about vaccines.

Despite that educational experience, Tannehill is still not fully comfortable with COVID-19 vaccines. He declined to explain why.

Tannehill wore a mask during the team stretch period to start practice but was not required to wear the mask during practice. Robinson said it is part of new protocols that were instituted Tuesday night. Robinson also explained the four categories of players who have been vaccinated.

"There's a group that is fully vaccinated that has had either the single shot or two shots and has waited for the 14-day acclimation period," he said before practice. "The next category of players is one that has been vaccinated, but they are waiting to clear the 14-day period before they are fully vaccinated. There's a third category where they are in between shots. Then there's a fourth category where they haven't been vaccinated."

The Titans are encouraging the players to do more research and become more familiar with the vaccination process.

Added coach Mike Vrabel, "We are focused on making sure that we continue to educate our players to let them make the best decision for them and hopefully this football team. It is a personal decision and, hopefully, one that they can come to that will help them and that will help this team."

Vrabel said he expects the number of vaccinated players to continue to increase but maintains that protocols won't change as the percentage increases. While some teams have utilized a band to identify unvaccinated players, Vrabel said the Titans aren't utilizing such identifiers.

The entire Titans coaching staff is fully vaccinated, according to Vrabel. However, the team did place defensive back Chris Jones on the reserve/COVID-19 list before Wednesday's practice.