CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, slorch said:

What if we got vaccinated for the very reason that we believe it was simply the right thing to do,without all of the emotional baggage?

Is that possible for some of you?  Does everything have to be a team loss or win?  

United we stand, divided we fall.

I guess I wasn’t clear. I’m “yelling” at everyone. Mostly the dumbasses in the Republican base. But that back and forth accomplishes nothing.
instead of tweets like that maybe beat them over the head with the science. I mean I know that won’t actually work but let’s try something other than what we are doing which isn’t working?

How do you get a moronic perpetual victim proud of their ignorance to accept facts? There is a reason why evolution is rejected by large swaths of people in this country and it isn’t because of the scientists.
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/31/2021 at 2:29 PM, Anastasis said:

I think that a discussion around preventable deaths state by state would be interesting. Citing death statistics out of context, OTOH, not so much. BTW, the two charts you linked use very different scales, it is misleading to stand them up next to each other without pointing that out.  Below is a better representation.

It's impossible to have an honest discussion about death rates between states without normalizing to population and a variety of other factors including waves.  What the NY state politician tweets is the same kind of bullshit that the anti-vaxxers spout when they do the "OMG 1/2 of all cases in Israel are occurring among the vaccinated!!" nonsense.  Misleading statistics are misleading, unless I guess we are just politically masturbating. I agree that there are lessons to be learned, and those discussions are interesting and should be had.

Screenshot-2021-07-31-132808.jpg

Thanks for that chart. I hadn’t seen them overlaid scaled per capita. But I also don’t think it refutes my point. New York’s winter wave was just as avoidable and frustrating as everyone else’s. The nationwide holiday season “we’re not going to let covid ruin our Christmas” wave and then sharp decline. 

As you said there are some interesting conversations to be had about different death waves: the southern “covid is bullshit” summer 2020 wave, the South Dakota sturgis bump and subsequent “see it’s not so bad” fall wave, the northeast early spring “the olds are getting vaxxed and we’ve been locked in for too long” wave. 

But the most frustrating trend of all is the current one that is creating a disaster for the south right now. It didn’t have to be like this, but the antivaxxers are going to get a lot of people killed over the next two months. We’re seeing it born out right now in the difference between NY and TX. New York is ahead of Texas by 15 points in adult vaccination rates. The two states are currently on divergent paths. Cases in texas are 3x ny per capita and rising faster. Hospitalizations are 4x per capita and rising faster. Deaths are 4.3x per capita and rising faster. In NY locations that could turn into superspeader hot spots like Broadway theaters are going to be requiring proof of vaccination for entry. Masks are making a comeback.

Governors in the south are doing everything in their power to make the spread as bad as possible in their states. 

Desantis is securing the Republican nomination, or at least Trump’s VP pick, while simultaneously ensuring that he has absolutely no chance to win on a national level. There are counties in Florida that have a test positivity rate of over 25%.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, justhookit said:

It’s the Texas Covid thread . Data is incomplete from Friday and in the accompanying YouTube presentation they said 95% of hospitalizations were unvaxxed which is GREAT news considering roughly 60% of the adult population is vaxxed.

Vaccine Breakthrough Cases in Nueces County
(217 cases)
• # hospitalized – 25
• #deaths–4
Vaccine Status: Moderna 78
Pfizer 57 J&J 30 Unknown 01
Time Infected: 25 to 54 days after last vaccine

link - https://www.cctexas.com/detail/covid-19-update

Weird presentation for Nueces County. They seem to focus more that vaccinated people are also getting sick than unvaccinated people. They're also the only govt org that wants to reference the Delta variant as the India variant.  But I guess it's nice they don't call Covid the Wuhan flu.

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Pretty sure my PCP has been taking HCQ for quite some time as a prophylactic. I've been going to him for close to 20 years. He seems to think Vitamin D is a major component to resisting being infected by COVID so he's got me taking a LOT of supplemental Vitamin D on a daily basis. I've got my annual physical this week and then I've got to consider making a change on my PCP in the very near future.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

I still don’t understand the emotional attachment to getting a shot.  There were people in the spring just absolutely giddy that they got their vaccination. Neither the glee nor the regret are rational. 

Hallmark should be selling both celebration and sympathy cards for vax day, right?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Pretty sure my PCP has been taking HCQ for quite some time as a prophylactic. I've been going to him for close to 20 years. He seems to think Vitamin D is a major component to resisting being infected by COVID so he's got me taking a LOT of supplemental Vitamin D on a daily basis. I've got my annual physical this week and then I've got to consider making a change on my PCP in the very near future.

giphy.gif

I don't know that I would take a LOT of supplemental vitamin D, as you can overdo it and make yourself feel like shit, but most Americans have a relatively significant deficiency of vitamin D. I sure as fuck do. I think I take an extra 20mcg dose every day. 

But yeah...find yourself a new physician.

12 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Not to derail, but I’ve often wondered if the concerted undermining of science by O&G interests trying to marginalize climate change discussion didn’t pay big dividends for the Covid deniers. 

The last 40 years has seen an alarming rise in anti-academia and anti-science messaging, although it has really ramped up the last decade or so. 

Is This Carl Sagan's 'Foreboding of an America'? | Snopes.com

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Not over 80:

Lewis Hamilton has revealed he is suffering with the symptoms of long Covid, after he required medical attention in the wake of Sunday’s Hungarian Grand Prix.

The seven-time world champion drove superbly to race from last to third and take the lead of the Formula One world championship following a frenetic race at the Hungaroring.

On Sunday night it was announced he'd been promoted to second place after Sebastian Vettel was disqualified following a breach of fuel regulations.

But Hamilton was visibly struggling after the 70-lap race.

The 36-year-old was assisted on to the podium, and then appeared unable to summon the strength to hold his celebratory champagne bottle.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-08-01/hungarian-gp-lewis-hamilton-reveals-hes-suffering-symptoms-of-long-covid

He got it in December, obviously prior to vaccines.  

Received a pretty urgent text from a very close friend in San Antonio on Friday night. He was asking if a childhood friend who I still keep up with was the CEO of the hospital where he and his wife were. I double-checked with my childhood friend and he confirmed that was his hospital. I met the guy who texted me on Friday when he was in law school at St Mary's with a couple of my closest friends from HS. We got to be good enough friends that he was an usher in my first wedding. Great dude. I digress.

"Law school friend" (let's call him E) was in the hospital with blood clots in her brain. He immediately followed with "she's OK" but they were looking for any help they could get in finding a room at the hospital. (There are basically no hospital rooms/beds in/around SA due to COVID -- see a couple recent posts in this thread.) He was asking if I could reach out to childhood friend (we'll call him S) and see if there was anything they could do.

S responded pretty quickly and said he was on vacation but he would make a few calls. He reaffirmed that this is a tough time for Texas hospitals that are "beyond full." He called the house supervisor and let me know they'd take care of them as quickly as they could.

Saturday, I met another friend at the new brewery right by Love Field to have a couple of afternoon beers. We got to talking about this situation. For the last few months, I've basically taken the attitude that if you haven't gotten the vaccine at this point and did not have a valid medical reason not to, then it was on you. Fuck around and you might find out. Let's thin the MAGA herd a bit. I guess that was fine -- until Delta. Or (shudder) the next mutation. These motherfuckers' selfishness and ignorance is taxing the medical system to the point that fully-vaxxed people -- like E and his wife (who also had COVID back in January) -- are scrambling for help for a serious, serious fucking problem.

I talked to E for about an hour yesterday afternoon. He was very, very thankful for me making contact with S on Friday night. Sounds like E's wife is going to be OK. He said it was like a 3rd World Country at the hospital on Friday night. They weren't even able to be in the ER. They were in a hallway where people were on stretchers, some hooked up to ventilators, etc. Another patient was repeatedly vomiting. This is a hospital in an affluent area of North SA.

It makes my blood boil continuing to read dipshits online talking about "their body, their choice" and I'm not wearing no "chin diaper." Fucking pathetic.

Post-script: There are many questions to be answered regarding E's wife's blood clots. She's never had any history of them. She's mid 40's or so. Like I said they both had relatively serious cases of COVID in late Jan/early Feb. Sounds like E's was considerably worse than hers. He said he still gets winded walking from his office to the parking lot. All things are on the table -- were the clots going to happen to her no matter what? Is it a "future complication" of COVID? Or perhaps a rare side effect of the vaccine?

• Rage+1 5

21 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I don't know that I would take a LOT of supplemental vitamin D, as you can overdo it and make yourself feel like shit, but most Americans have a relatively significant deficiency of vitamin D. I sure as fuck do. I think I take an extra 20mcg dose every day. 

But yeah...find yourself a new physician.

The last check in mid-June had me at 46 for Vitamin D. I was 38 in mid-April. It was 25 last August at my annual physical, which is what made him want me to start on the supplemental Vitamin D. I was having coffee with a client/financial planner/friend of mine and a mutual friend (who has pharmaceutical training) had just had a conversation with him about Vitamin D as apparently this is making the rounds among physicians in our area at least. The pharma-trained friend told him to stop Vitamin D altogether as there's all kinds of shit that can get squirrelly. This made me reach out to a few other good friends who are well-respected doctors in my network -- one is chief medical officer for a large hospital group in Houston now -- and they don't see any real harm.

There are several reasons to "break up" with my current PCP. He's a bit churchy for me. I think his mother used to be a Baylor regent at some point. His practice is not very automated and I get lab results through My Quest long before I hear his PA call me with labs. It's kind of funny finding out longtime friends or acquaintances of mine go to see him because we're discussing the Vitamin D thing (or other quirks).

34 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Received a pretty urgent text from a very close friend in San Antonio on Friday night. He was asking if a childhood friend who I still keep up with was the CEO of the hospital where he and his wife were. I double-checked with my childhood friend and he confirmed that was his hospital. I met the guy who texted me on Friday when he was in law school at St Mary's with a couple of my closest friends from HS. We got to be good enough friends that he was an usher in my first wedding. Great dude. I digress.

"Law school friend" (let's call him E) was in the hospital with blood clots in her brain. He immediately followed with "she's OK" but they were looking for any help they could get in finding a room at the hospital. (There are basically no hospital rooms/beds in/around SA due to COVID -- see a couple recent posts in this thread.) He was asking if I could reach out to childhood friend (we'll call him S) and see if there was anything they could do.

S responded pretty quickly and said he was on vacation but he would make a few calls. He reaffirmed that this is a tough time for Texas hospitals that are "beyond full." He called the house supervisor and let me know they'd take care of them as quickly as they could.

Saturday, I met another friend at the new brewery right by Love Field to have a couple of afternoon beers. We got to talking about this situation. For the last few months, I've basically taken the attitude that if you haven't gotten the vaccine at this point and did not have a valid medical reason not to, then it was on you. Fuck around and you might find out. Let's thin the MAGA herd a bit. I guess that was fine -- until Delta. Or (shudder) the next mutation. These motherfuckers' selfishness and ignorance is taxing the medical system to the point that fully-vaxxed people -- like E and his wife (who also had COVID back in January) -- are scrambling for help for a serious, serious fucking problem.

I talked to E for about an hour yesterday afternoon. He was very, very thankful for me making contact with S on Friday night. Sounds like E's wife is going to be OK. He said it was like a 3rd World Country at the hospital on Friday night. They weren't even able to be in the ER. They were in a hallway where people were on stretchers, some hooked up to ventilators, etc. Another patient was repeatedly vomiting. This is a hospital in an affluent area of North SA.

It makes my blood boil continuing to read dipshits online talking about "their body, their choice" and I'm not wearing no "chin diaper." Fucking pathetic.

Post-script: There are many questions to be answered regarding E's wife's blood clots. She's never had any history of them. She's mid 40's or so. Like I said they both had relatively serious cases of COVID in late Jan/early Feb. Sounds like E's was considerably worse than hers. He said he still gets winded walking from his office to the parking lot. All things are on the table -- were the clots going to happen to her no matter what? Is it a "future complication" of COVID? Or perhaps a rare side effect of the vaccine?

is this a law school fact pattern? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

How do you get a moronic perpetual victim proud of their ignorance to accept facts? There is a reason why evolution is rejected by large swaths of people in this country and it isn’t because of the scientists.

the irony is the unvaccinated are unwittingly participating in that natural evolution in real time.

the vaccinated have applied an evolution cheat code.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

I married into one (wife's mom, dad, and step-mom are all medical professionals, and siblings/aunts/uncles are as well), and this whole pandemic thing has been fucking excruciating for me on a completely different level, one that you are probably familiar with.  I have in-laws who believe this is all a fucking hoax, and watching that play out amongst the family has been like watching a train wreck in slow motion..
I have relatives on my side who are free to contact my in-laws for medical advice, but they would rather listen to Tucker.
200.gif

In my experience, they are not interested in learning science, but teaching scientists how they are wrong. I had one instance where my brother pinned all his hopes on a single case, and he presented the information to me and I told him I would get back to him in writing. Unfortunately for him, not only did I have the source data, knew someone involved, and with only a cursory google search, I refuted nearly every one of his facts. The only thing he was correct about was the name something involved. Every piece of evidence he had was refuted easily, and well documented.

He even argued that he was in middle school when this even occurred, and how he would cite it as proof there is no global warming. The thing wasn’t found and recovered until after he graduated high school. That was how fucking far from reality he was.

He decided to never talk science with me again. Until recently, where he learned all about pathogen transmissivity while completing 2 post-docs from One America News.
  • Rage+1 2

I had a physical and lab results in February 2020 right before Covid which said my vitamin D level was pretty low (like a score of 20 and should be between 30-100) and my doctor recommended I take supplements.

Started taking 10,000 iu a day, got more sun, and a year later the vitamin D score was 75, never got Covid, never got sick with anything at all, and even my usual severe cedar allergy last January barely existed.  

Obviously that’s anecdotal but there’s basically zero harm in taking vitamin D supplements.  I’m convinced it helps regulate the immune system. Cedar allergies make no sense but are just an overreaction by the immune system. 

Oh and slorch is being an idiot for some reason. 

Edited by JimmyJames

SIAP. Tax this guy's church; all he does is preach politics. I don't believe I heard the word "God" once in that clip. He may "not want their money" now, but if they pass on from not being vaccinated, he's going to find less in the offering plate.

Oh come on, if we tax them they will get political! Or so I am told.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Can someone explain to me why people who caught COVID because they weren't vaccinated (and who had no medical reason NOT to be vaccinated) aren't being wheeled out of ICUs in cases like this?  It seems like a fair basis for triaging patients. If your ignorant ass wants to roll the dice, I guess Hot Wheels says that's your prerogative.  That said, you shouldn't have the right to suck up limited medical resources, especially when you're putting everyone else at risk at the same time.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Can someone explain to me why people who caught COVID because they weren't vaccinated (and who had no medical reason NOT to be vaccinated) aren't being wheeled out of ICUs in cases like this? 

Because hospitals don't judge how someone become ill or injured.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gap03 said:

Can someone explain to me why people who caught COVID because they weren't vaccinated (and who had no medical reason NOT to be vaccinated) aren't being wheeled out of ICUs in cases like this?  It seems like a fair basis for triaging patients. If your ignorant ass wants to roll the dice, I guess Hot Wheels says that's your prerogative.  That said, you shouldn't have the right to suck up limited medical resources, especially when you're putting everyone else at risk at the same time.   

I wondered about that with respect to the radio host in Tennessee. He was anti mask, anti vaccine, and so on until he was hospitalized. The last update I'd posted was regarding his family trying to locate a hospital with an ECMO to essentially breathe for him or some such. I guess those aren't found just anywhere, and this guy is 61 so I wondered how that was going to work out. So, after reading your post I went looking to see if he'd been moved, but apparently he's still in Nashville:

He doesn't seem like a good candidate at this point, but if he were, it does make one wonder about your question somewhat. Palliative care may be the best plan for him.

35 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I had a physical and lab results in February 2020 right before Covid which said my vitamin D level was pretty low (like a score of 20 and should be between 30-100) and my doctor recommended I take supplements.

Started taking 10,000 iu a day, got more sun, and a year later the vitamin D score was 75, never got Covid, never got sick with anything at all, and even my usual severe cedar allergy last January barely existed.  

Obviously that’s anecdotal but there’s basically zero harm in taking vitamin D supplements.  I’m convinced it helps regulate the immune system. Cedar allergies make no sense but are just an overreaction by the immune system. 

Oh and slorch is being an idiot for some reason. 

I'm up to 10,000 IU daily too.

19 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I wondered about that with respect to the radio host in Tennessee. He was anti mask, anti vaccine, and so on until he was hospitalized. The last update I'd posted was regarding his family trying to locate a hospital with an ECMO to essentially breathe for him or some such. I guess those aren't found just anywhere, and this guy is 61 so I wondered how that was going to work out. So, after reading your post I went looking to see if he'd been moved, but apparently he's still in Nashville:

He doesn't seem like a good candidate at this point, but if he were, it does make one wonder about your question somewhat. Palliative care may be the best plan for him.

If someone else needs the bed then it might be time to pull the plug and move on. If someone else doesn’t need it then his selfish stupid ass can stay in his undeserved hospital bed. 

These kinds of decisions are probably gonna get much more prevalent in the coming months and I’m glad I personally don’t have to make them. 

11 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

If someone else needs the bed then it might be time to pull the plug and move on. If someone else doesn’t need it then his selfish stupid ass can stay in his undeserved hospital bed. 

These kinds of decisions are probably gonna get much more prevalent in the coming months and I’m glad I personally don’t have to make them. 

It's a rum world. The I don't need a vaccine, when it's my time then it's my time crowd doesn't seem much on the actual discussion of when that time may come how it is to be resolved. A will is a good plan. Any medical orders and such like. But, nope, they're often not willing to discuss it. Very quick to disassociate from real pain, suffering, and death of others but little awareness in the reality that those are your brothers, sisters, mothers, and fathers in humanity and we all grieve for them.

But this guy? I'm going to assume he is more likely to be chatting with Rush Limbaugh than he is going back on air in the near future. And in it's own way, it is sad. He had the ears of thousands of listeners and he could've used that for good. His choice and he chose poorly.

33 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This Julie White McCarty woman has been the kookiest among the kooks.  

First post: Refers to dirty illegals pouring over border.

Second post: Imagines someone in lab developing deadly virus. Why would he wish harm on people he doesn't even know?

With Trump off Twitter, I guess a crew of ignorant jackasses with no regard for others had to fill the gap.

Fuck them all.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Just in case some of you missed church yesterday:

I hadn't been seeing as much of this stuff lately with the relief from having Trump's daily outrage.

I couldn't care less if he and his entire rabid congregation refused vaccinations and died. My only reservations are that they'll both infect other people or provide the petri dish for Delta to mutate into something even worse. However, since these cretins seem to stick to their own groups, the first reservation may not survive.

This guy could take over Aggie World. Put him in white and you have a virulent yell leader.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

He just needs to move on with the rest of his life, right?

• Like 1

Not being a doctor, I'm not sure how medical personnel are expected to weigh level of care from an ethical perspective.  I can only assume that, at some point, faced with an overwhelming patient load, it is considered ethical to go M*A*S*H on patients and care first for those who they think have the best possible chance of survival.  I can't imagine vaccination status being part of that decision -- it is not their place to judge, just treat.  Lowering that bar would be hugely disruptive.