CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

50 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

First post: Refers to dirty illegals pouring over border.

Second post: Imagines someone in lab developing deadly virus. Why would he wish harm on people he doesn't even know?

With Trump off Twitter, I guess a crew of ignorant jackasses with no regard for others had to fill the gap.

Fuck them all.

I have two mutual FB friends with her.  I wasn't surprised when I saw who they were.  

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Exxon sites are making unvaxxed employees wear a bracelet 

dumb question: is there a way to actually test if someone is vaccinated? I guess in the cited case above all they would have to do is distinguish who has provided a valid vax card and who hasn't. I am ok with this strategy. But one hopes they're not simply going off what someone says.

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

dumb question: is there a way to actually test if someone is vaccinated? I guess in the cited case above all they would have to do is distinguish who has provided a valid vax card and who hasn't. I am ok with this strategy. But one hopes they're not simply going off what someone says.

risk of being fired ?

Maybe vaccinated employees update their med records 

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Full marks to him for crediting the vaccine, though. hopefully people listen.

Seriously, I agree. It was a righteous move by Graham.

Apparently Sen. Graham was on a houseboat with Sen. Manchin this weekend. (CNN)

Edited by washparkhorn

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Or they knew and wanted to see another person who was, say, 80, or in poor health, or immunocompromised. Someone besides themselves.

signal more virtue.  Show us how caring you are.   SMDH.  

If I don't buy into the goofy reasoning, does my vaccination still count?

Edited by slorch

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

What’s the purpose of this post? What virtue are you signaling with your lack of compassion for others? And honestly since when is compassion a goofy reasoning for anything? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Best estimates of COVID severity by age I have seen.  Really important to the discussion of vaccination risk-benefit.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.29.21261282v1.full.pdf

Screenshot-2021-08-02-151934.jpg

Screenshot-2021-08-02-152013.jpg

pretty scary chart when you look at vaccines by age.

Looks like about 1.5% of the 30-50 group gets ISR.  This site says about half the population of that age are vaccinated.  https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states/state/texas 

And if delta rips through and affects a whole lot of people simultaneously, that is about 1.5% of 7,000,000 ISR, or about 100,000 out of that age group.  Of course, there are still olds that can get sick too.

Total hospital beds, statewide: 80,000.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/chs/hosp/AcuteFact16.pdf

We have to really 'slow the spread' so these people don't all get sick at once.

Edited by OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys
  • Hook 'Em 1

What’s the purpose of this post? What virtue are you signaling with your lack of compassion for others? And honestly since when is compassion a goofy reasoning for anything? 
If I wanted the opinion of a willfully obtuse, boorish, contrarian Tech Grad I'd take Slorch off ignore and frequent Tech message boards. His takes nearly always suck, add no value, contain little thought and even less compassion, and the world would be better without them.

Not all village idiots deserve to have every thought they have published.

18 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

since November 8, 2016.  compassion went out the window.  compassion is now a sign of weakness.  the Trump supporter out front shoulda told ya.

c2e1d568a8460b0a606ccbbf33344f1a?impolic

I'll take "Who are the people most likely to shoot themselves should they ever clean a gun?" Alex.

• Haha 2

Imagine thinking wanting to be able to see your parents or grandparents without risking their lives is just "virtue signaling." This is how brain poisoned your average conservative is these days.

Also imagine that suggesting they signaling virtue is somehow a bad thing.

18 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The double meaning is that he's accusing "virtue signalers" of not actually giving a shit about the issue and just wielding it as a political club

We're talking about "single-issue voters" (abortion) calling someone else out for virtue signaling.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

if i ever end up in the icu, can you call the doctors and say you have a personal stake in me surviving or something.  

I’m just a dumb orthopod. They’d  figure I’m brain dead after 5 minutes and give up

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

you've been acting a little bit more crazy than usual lately. are you okay?

slorch tends to have these little episodes every month. He's good for a bit and then goes off the rails because of those damn libs. It's like male PMS. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

slorch tends to have these little episodes every month. He's good for a bit and then goes off the rails because of those damn libs. It's like male PMS. 

That boy ain’t right 

image.gif.f66ddc3a194b87dd0d3348903979f877.gif

• Haha 3

It's a rum world. The I don't need a vaccine, when it's my time then it's my time crowd doesn't seem much on the actual discussion of when that time may come how it is to be resolved. A will is a good plan. Any medical orders and such like. But, nope, they're often not willing to discuss it. Very quick to disassociate from real pain, suffering, and death of others but little awareness in the reality that those are your brothers, sisters, mothers, and fathers in humanity and we all grieve for them.
But this guy? I'm going to assume he is more likely to be chatting with Rush Limbaugh than he is going back on air in the near future. And in it's own way, it is sad. He had the ears of thousands of listeners and he could've used that for good. His choice and he chose poorly.

He had 1000s of listeners because he was bad, and helped them feel better about being bad themselves.

He chose money.

7 hours ago, HenryJames said:

And this is why we're going on a year and a half since I've seen my dad.  My dumbass sister is one of those 72%.  I am not going to accidentally give her COVID and I wouldn't be able to go up there and see my dad without also seeing her, so yeah.  Fuck Midland.

4 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This Julie White McCarty woman has been the kookiest among the kooks.  

So Julie is on board with the idea that someone sat in a lab to create a disease that would kill her and a bunch of other people.  Wouldn't logic dictate that if someone is getting ready to shoot you, that you put on the bullet proof vest people are trying to give you for free?

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Best estimates of COVID severity by age I have seen.  Really important to the discussion of vaccination risk-benefit.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.29.21261282v1.full.pdf

Screenshot-2021-08-02-151934.jpg

Screenshot-2021-08-02-152013.jpg

Is this showing me unvaccinated rates of infection that is either, sever, critical or fatal by age group?  If I'm going to do a vaccination risk-benefit, where in the table can I see the percentages by age group of vaccinated people?  Oh, and also the incidence of myocarditis from vaccinations.  All 3 of those put together I think gives you a pretty good analysis on how much risk you are taking on (myocarditis) vs. avoiding (vaccination) compared to the status quo.  I would actually love a chart like that.

Ok, I've been reading about it here, but would like to talk through the ethics of this.  Husband is going to be at 6 months since his last shot in 3 weeks.  I've got a month and half to go to get to 6 months. Both of us got Moderna

We've been having some pretty serious discussions about getting a 6 month booster of either Moderna or Pfizer.  It feels like the right answer for us at a micro level, but ethically I'm struggling with this from a macro level.  

I think a couple thousand people getting a 3rd shot booster that looks like a 1st shot in the stats is fine, but if bunches of people do it, does that start to give medical/political leaders a false sense of security that vaccination rates are high enough to lower restrictions, when it wouldn't be prudent to do so?  How do you weigh the societal cost of public health decisions being made with bad information vs the personal benefit of the extra protection of a booster that hasn't been officially called for yet? 

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Damn, guess getting regulated to low-tier college football has your panties in a wad.  It's okay, sweetheart, I'm sure Baylor, SWT, and NM State will keep you and your ilk warm at night.  Losers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Ok, I've been reading about it here, but would like to talk through the ethics of this.  Husband is going to be at 6 months since his last shot in 3 weeks.  I've got a month and half to go to get to 6 months. Both of us got Moderna

We've been having some pretty serious discussions about getting a 6 month booster of either Moderna or Pfizer.  It feels like the right answer for us at a micro level, but ethically I'm struggling with this from a macro level.  

I think a couple thousand people getting a 3rd shot booster that looks like a 1st shot in the stats is fine, but if bunches of people do it, does that start to give medical/political leaders a false sense of security that vaccination rates are high enough to lower restrictions, when it wouldn't be prudent to do so?  How do you weigh the societal cost of public health decisions being made with bad information vs the personal benefit of the extra protection of a booster that hasn't been officially called for yet? 

I have put zero thought into the math, but I don't think there's any chance in hell that 3rd-shot "first timers" will skew the vaccination statistics enough to cause any policy shift.

I'm 3 months out from Moderna #2, so I'm content for now, but in a couple of months you'd better believe I'm lining up for Pfizer #1 in the left arm, flu shot in my right, and shingles vax in my ass just for the hell of it.  (OK, not just for the hell of it, I've already had shingles once and I'm not interested in getting it again.)

44 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Speaking as a Tech grad of about the same age as Slorch myself (50), I'm not going to let him speak for all Techsters. I take this shit seriously...very...and am back to wearing a mask everywhere including sitting at my desk all day. I'm proudly vaccinated (March Moderna Mafia) and encourage everyone who can to do so and am eagerly awaiting a booster.

Now, some Tech grads such as my dad may have been careless, but he paid the ultimate price for it. Same could be said of many, many Texas Exes based off what we see over at the Daily Texan, so this isn't simply a matter of schoolin'.

I can also tell you I'm not alone. My Tech grad mom is already hoping to get her booster and has tried to convince many of her elderly Baptist church community friends to get vaxxed. My Tech grad sister pleaded with the attendees at my dad's memorial service a couple of weeks ago to get vaccinated. So did I. My Tech grad Uncle Bob (mom's brother), his Tech grad wife, Eileen, and their three Tech grad children (all older than me) Kate, Brian, and Phyllis, who also attended were fully vaccinated and kept their masks handy in their pockets during the entire visit.

As far as I can tell, some people just have to play the contrarian asshole for whatever boost it gives their egos. Get your shit together, @slorch. You're making the rest of us look bad, and we desperately need that Pac-12 invite. You just know that @Sbbruin is gonna print out this page, and send it to Pac HQs. Then, you'll really be sorry.

I have abided by all Texas public mandates and am vaccinated. I have worked in the public all the way through the whole ordeal. 

and you claim the high ground. Lolz. 

fuck you and the ‘people who care more’.   It’s bullshit.