CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

11 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Your #1 job as a parent is to protect your family, which includes yourself.  He didn't do that.  He played politics and orphaned his kid and widowed his wife.  

To quote the great Ray Wylie Hubbard, some get spiritual 'cause they see the light and some 'cause they feel the heat. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Yeah, I know dumb people can graduate from the best of colleges.  When I read "Cambridge-educated"  I thought perhaps that type of person would have a general understanding of how 'the jab' gave you antibodies.  That's the entire purpose of 'the jab' right?  And then 'vlogging' your mistake for the world to see going all the way to death being wrong.  At age 58.  Well, maybe that part helps someone.  Maybe.

12 hours ago, Blotto said:

That's where I'm at. Unless a doctor advises that you should not take the vaccine for legitimate health reasons, I simply cant find it in me to give one solitary fuck about any unvaccinated person who dies from the  Rona. You had an option, and you were too fucking stupid to take advantage of it. Its free and readily available. I have a great deal of sympathy for people in other countries who don't have access to the vaccine, but here....good riddance. Too many stupid people fucking this country up as it is. 

That's where I'm at, and I don't like that about myself.

When I heard about this Apley guy, my only reaction was "good."   And that's a terrible reaction to have to hearing that someone died.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Not just American.

At one point he said "'I hope I've got it. I hope it is Covid. I'd rather the antibodies than the jabs.' "  Umm, sir....

The rest of the story on the daily mail site.  I know, the daily mail.  Nonetheless....

Damn, people will do anything for attention.  I don’t like to root for death, but we’re going to need several of these “look at me, the virus isn’t a big deal” people to die so as not to encourage others to ignore the disease.  

I opened up LinkedIn in to see some fucking idiot from the oil and gas industry arguing how he’s a statistician and he’s run the numbers and the risk of infection for him and his kids is nothing and he’s not putting an experimental substance in his body. Etc. He had all the usual talking points. All the comments were scary from grunts to CEO level people. These people are not getting the vaccine if it’s fully approved 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I opened up LinkedIn in to see some fucking idiot from the oil and gas industry arguing how he’s a statistician and he’s run the numbers and the risk of infection for him and his kids is nothing and he’s not putting an experimental substance in his body. Etc. He had all the usual talking points. All the comments were scary from grunts to CEO level people. These people are not getting the vaccine if it’s fully approved 

Sounds like he’s “done his own research”. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So I posted this on my facebook wall because it is fucking funny.  And accurate.  

A now former friend and colleage, and a Texas Ex who lives in Cypress (no idea if he posts here but if he does, only in Daily Texan I would guess) made a comment about both sides, as in both sides are being idiots.  I responded, but thought better of it, deleted his comment and unfriended.  People with stupid opinions will no longer be polluting my social media.

Good for you. It’s best to just ignore idiots and trolls. They’re not living in a rational world so you can’t talk to them. You may as well be speaking Greek to them.

Of course, if he lived in Cyprus then that analogy wouldn’t apply.  :D

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I think they should go on record that they think it's dangerous, experimental substance. Then when mRNA vaccines are successful treating most forms of cancer, they should be denied the "experimental" treatment.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Dan Rather throwing shade at Ted Cruz:

Whether you like Dan or not, he's a badass that used to put himself in harm's way to get a story like with hurricane reporting. I imagine he doesn't have much patience with public officials that run from statewide disasters. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Another FAFA victim.  This is hard to watch.

neon should send that to the oil and gas ceo.  that was very hard to watch, very heartbreaking. i teared up for the man.  but kudos to him for filming and sharing this.  if it makes a difference for a few doubters, then he's done good somehow.

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's where I'm at, and I don't like that about myself.

When I heard about this Apley guy, my only reaction was "good."   And that's a terrible reaction to have to hearing that someone died.

Agree.

My heart is hardening to those who disrupt and harm others with their selfishness and utter stupidity. They are acting out like toddlers. They need a time out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There is nothing quite so inspirational to me as someone who can see what they have done, and atone for it.  I aspire every day to see my own mistakes and to own up to them, and my hope is that all of us can do the same.  Kudos to that man for owning his own responsibility in getting duped and taking action to help make sure others can avoid the same fate.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I had a breakthrough infection i posted about somewhere above and it lasted about 2 weeks. Mostly just a cough, short breath, and requiring a lot of sleep. Glad I was vaccinated, I can't imagine getting hit with that at full force. I've now had 3 negative tests, so its behind me.

The other day I learned a friend had canceled a vacation with no explanation why. I texted her and said I heard the news and hoped she's OK. Her response was that she and her boyfriend were sick with COVID and they blame me, im the only person they know who had it.

I asked if they were vaccinated. She unloads that "everybody is attacking us for not being vaccinated and its really not fair!" Says they were being extra careful wearing masks etc. Her boyfriend was the kind who never wore his mask during the mandate, or it was under his nose like an idiot if he did. She's a bartender.

I'm sorry they got sick, but I'm not sure how much guilt I should carry.

Meanwhile I get into it with the guy who runs the pizza shop next door, who's a friend. Its a Brazilian family. He tells me he moved to this country for freedom and he doesn't need the government telling him what to do, etc. I tell him he has a responsibility to our neighbors who are buying prepared food from him, but he says its ok cause he always wears his mask when he's in the restaurant.

Says they are thinking about moving to Florida where there's more freedom. During the election it was Texas they were thinking about moving to for the same reason. Obviously they were pro-Trump.

This is in San Francisco where vaccination rates are above 70%. Now we're back to a fucking mask mandate.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I had a breakthrough infection i posted about somewhere above and it lasted about 2 weeks. Mostly just a cough, short breath, and requiring a lot of sleep. Glad I was vaccinated, I can't imagine getting hit with that at full force. I've now had 3 negative tests, so its behind me.

The other day I learned a friend had canceled a vacation with no explanation why. I texted her and said I heard the news and hoped she's OK. Her response was that she and her boyfriend were sick with COVID and they blame me, im the only person they know who had it.

I asked if they were vaccinated. She unloads that "everybody is attacking us for not being vaccinated and its really not fair!" Says they were being extra careful wearing masks etc. Her boyfriend was the kind who never wore his mask during the mandate, or it was under his nose like an idiot if he did. She's a bartender.

Meanwhile I get into it with the guy who runs the pizza shop next door, who's a friend. Its a Brazilian family. He tells me he moved to this country for freedom and he doesn't need the government telling him what to do, etc. I tell him he has a responsibility to our neighbors who are buying prepared food from him, but he says its ok cause he always wears his mask when he's in the restaurant.

Says they are thinking about moving to Florida where there's more freedom. During the election it was Texas they were thinking about moving to for the same reason. Obviously they were pro-Trump.

This is in San Francisco where vaccination rates are above 70%. Now we're back to a fucking mask mandate.

Hey, you're the one I was thinking of the other day...if I recall correctly you had the moderna vaccine.   I'm glad to read you're better now.  Sorry about the other crap you're putting up with. 

Hey, you're the one I was thinking of the other day...if I recall correctly you had the moderna vaccine.   I'm glad to read you're better now.  Sorry about the other crap you're putting up with. 
No, I had J&J.

SF General is now offering Moderna or Pfizer boosters to anybody who had the J&J. I have to wait a month since I've been positive.

28 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don't care what his politics were. That breaks my heart, no joke.  They are literally killing people like him with bullshit.  

20 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Yeah that line about his daughter's wedding kinda fucked me up. It took all that time in a hospital bed just for him to admit he fell for the bullshit. 

I don't wish him dead or suffering, but just showing me video tape of one person doesn't really do that much to move me. 

He says he believed the media and opted out of a vaccination. Now he's remorseful at infecting his family as he wallows on his death bed. Murderers and rapists exhibit the same behavior.

This guy may have infected and even killed many other people. It had to happen to him in the most horrible of ways for him to give a shit. Maybe some grandma is gurgling and gasping in agony. With Delta, maybe a high schooler is.

He shows remorse. Okay. Give him a point in that column. I still despise him. I don't wish suffering on him or death, but I also don't give a shit because my wishes don't matter either way. 

Boo hoo, you miss your daughter's wedding. Had you acquired the disease a month later, maybe you could have infected everybody there and had an even more tearful moment of regret.

It will take more than cheap emotional appeals to change my judgment. Advertising in general and the Hate Engine have led me to this place. I try to see what is really there. What is really there with this guy does not move me much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7

Just now, AnotherUTFan said:

No, I had J&J.

SF General is now offering Moderna or Pfizer boosters to anybody who had the J&J. I have to wait a month since I've been positive.

Ah, thanks for the correction.  More and more my decision to boost with a moderna shot (two weeks tomorrow) feels like the right call.  That said, I'm glad the J&J vaccine was effective in keeping you from having a severe case, which after all is the overall purpose.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't wish him dead or suffering, but just showing me video tape of one person doesn't really do that much to move me. 

He says he believed the media and opted out of a vaccination. Now he's remorseful at infecting his family as he wallows on his death bed. Murderers and rapists exhibit the same behavior.

This guy may have infected and even killed many other people. It had to happen to him in the most horrible of ways for him to give a shit. Maybe some grandma is gurgling and gasping in agony. With Delta, maybe a high schooler is.

He shows remorse. Okay. Give him a point in that column. I still despise him. I don't wish suffering on him or death, but I also don't give a shit because my wishes don't matter either way. 

Boo hoo, you miss your daughter's wedding. Had you acquired the disease a month later, maybe you could have infected everybody there and had an even more tearful moment of regret.

It will take more than cheap emotional appeals to change my judgment. Advertising in general and the Hate Engine have led me to this place. I try to see what is really there. What is really there with this guy does not move me much.

All valid points. The guy is remorseful that he may not walk his daughter down the aisle but he didn't care enough to protect his daughter and son by getting the vaccine. His selfishness about vaccine lies was more important than protecting his kids. I don't know who wins Dad of the Year, but I know who doesn't deserve it.

The hero is the dad who took time to learn about the benefits vs risks of the vaccine and ultimately decided to protect his kids by being vaccinated. that guy won't be on a video but he's the guy down the street taking care of his kids.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i've enjoyed your posts over the years. please don't harden your heart, even to those deserving of it.

The feeling is mutual, hayden_horn. My heart is not hardened so much as armored against the cheap appeals of puppies and children used to sell things like Big Macs or questionable pharmaceuticals. Similarly, a guy crying and referring to his daughter's wedding is not going to lead me to absolve him of the damage he's likely done to others.

Nice Guy Eddie makes a good point just after you. I applaud the man or woman who decided the risk to others was real and that dogmatic sheephood should be laid aside.

I don't want the guy to die. I don't like to see the discomfort. His appeal moves me less than a dogfood commercial for the reasons stated.

I do appreciate your response.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

0.0 units of guilt

they should feel guilty for being incubators for variants that can cause breakthrough infections like yours and decrease vaccine efficacy

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3