CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

53 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

If you don’t have at least 58,000 rounds of hollow points, how do you hope to survive Coronavirus?

It seems like one of those fundamental, baseline brain-function different kinds of ways of seeing the world things.

Edited by bolverk

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It seems like one of those fundamental, baseline brain-function different kinds of ways of seeing the world.

Conservatism correlates with fear. The more threatened one feels, the more likely that person is to support conservative policies. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Conservatism correlates with fear. The more threatened one feels, the more likely that person is to support conservative policies. 

My point isn't necessarily that one group has more fear than the other, but how one group reacts to a fear.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I just saw that Trump put Mike Pence in charge of the coronavirus response and I feel MUCH better.  There's literally no one more qualified to deal with this, like the head of the CDC or the Surgeon General or any of the other 1.1 million doctors in the United States.  Let's put the guy who thinks homosexuality can be cured in charge of a fucking pandemic.  Maybe he can shout enough racial slurs at the coronavirus for it to sheepishly fly away in tears so we can build a wall across the Pacific.  Fuck you, Republicans.

He probably thinks it can only infect Asians. 

I just saw that Trump put Mike Pence in charge of the coronavirus response and I feel MUCH better.  There's literally no one more qualified to deal with this, like the head of the CDC or the Surgeon General or any of the other 1.1 million doctors in the United States.  Let's put the guy who thinks homosexuality can be cured in charge of a fucking pandemic.  Maybe he can shout enough racial slurs at the coronavirus for it to sheepishly fly away in tears so we can build a wall across the Pacific.  Fuck you, Republicans.

shit man, even Dr. Ben Carson would have been 10x better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

We're gonna pray the disease away

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

So the new California case was in two hospitals and was there for a week or more before they were tested for the virus.

Got to wonder how many other cases like this are happening right now.

Statement from the hospital.

8f73e8518c0b41464ad7aafe6d3911a7.jpg

Watch for a bloom of cases in NoCal.

In the 10 days she has been intubated the local cluster has doubled three times, conservatively 20 to 160 but likely 100 to 800 or more.

There are probably a half dozen clusters like that in the US. There will be between 100,000 and 1,000,000 cases in the US in the next 3 weeks since the government will do nothing to slow in down. A month later it will be everywhere.

Setting aside Pence’s qualifications (or lack thereof) having VP lead effort is not bad call. This response will span multiple agences:DHS if travel ban, HHS, CDC possibly military and many others. 

Pence isn’t guy but neither would Biden have been. Ironically probably best one in recent years would have been Cheney. 
Sad reality is politics has turned into Hollywood for ugly people and next to no one is really qualified to handle a massive domestic crisis. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I agree.  Aside from the fact that he’s dangerously incompetent, Pence is a great pick for this critical job. 

Again Pence isn’t guy. But the effort probably can’t be led by just an agency director. It spans a ton of groups. Unfortunately the pool of candidates in Washington is very, very shallow. 

I’m speaking of having VP lead in that light as proxy for someone above agency fray. Unfortunately Pence is not guy for this. 

Edited by BrazilHorn

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

Again Pence isn’t guy. But the effort probably can’t be led by just an agency director. It spans a ton of groups. Unfortunately the pool of candidates in Washington is very, very shallow. 

In a more sane world you set up a bipartisan oversight committee pulling in some congressional committee chairs to help coordinate what should be a massive push at federal level. 

In a more sane world you set up a bipartisan oversight committee pulling in some congressional committee chairs to help coordinate what should be a massive push at federal level. 

I was curious if you could make “both sides” work here, shouldn’t have doubted you amigo.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Again Pence isn’t guy.

Let me propose something that might blow your mind:  if Pence isn't the guy, don't make Pence the guy.

But the effort probably can’t be led by just an agency director. It spans a ton of groups. Unfortunately the pool of candidates in Washington is very, very shallow. 

Well, I'm pretty sure there's an agency director who would be far superior to Pence, so that's a non-starter.  Here's another mind-blower:  how about we explore that very, very shallow pool of candidates instead of appointing a man who has already demonstrated his incapacity to respond to severe public health crises?

Or, how about we put together a small team to lead the response, perhaps drawn from that "very, very shallow pool of candidates"?

Yeesh.  "Oh well, Pence isn't the guy, but in theory the VP could be the guy, so carry on."

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

13 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

I was curious if you could make “both sides” work here, shouldn’t have doubted you amigo.

Exactly. How do you pick a bipartisan crew when you know half the room is going to be shouting that this is a deep state conspiracy against trump, or that you can pray it all away? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let me propose something that might blow your mind:  if Pence isn't the guy, don't make Pence the guy.

Well, I'm pretty sure there's an agency director who would be far superior to Pence, so that's a non-starter.  Here's another mind-blower:  how about we explore that very, very shallow pool of candidates instead of appointing a man who has already demonstrated his incapacity to respond to severe public health crises?

Or, how about we put together a small team to lead the response, perhaps drawn from that "very, very shallow pool of candidates"?

Yeesh.  "Oh well, Pence isn't the guy, but in theory the VP could be the guy, so carry on."

I was trying to speak of office of VP, not Pence in particular, realize my original sentence not a great one. 

I agree that someone else should be lead, I just don’t see which agency head out there has chops. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I was trying to speak of office of VP, not Pence in particular, realize my original sentence not a great one. 

My response clearly indicates I understood that you were speaking of the office.  In this particular case, that's immaterial -- we don't have some mythical VP who could save us from Covid-19, we have Mike Pence.

I agree that someone else should be lead, I just don’t see which agency head out there has chops. 

I'll go ahead and posit that you probably don't know the "chops" of all the agency heads, and that there is also someone in NIH or CDC who is far superior to Mike Pence for this particular role.  You've heard the quote by Voltaire:  "the best is the enemy of the good".  Trump hasn't, and he wouldn't understand it if he did.

Setting aside Pence’s qualifications (or lack thereof) having VP lead effort is not bad call. This response will span multiple agences:DHS if travel ban, HHS, CDC possibly military and many others. 

Pence isn’t guy but neither would Biden have been. Ironically probably best one in recent years would have been Cheney. 
Sad reality is politics has turned into Hollywood for ugly people and next to no one is really qualified to handle a massive domestic crisis. 

"But Biden" is a novel angle. "Both sides" game strong to quite strong. 9/10.

I guess I agree with you in theory that the VP is well positioned to take charge, but Pence isn't just unqualified, he's been proven to be a liability when confronted with the spread of infectious disease. So sure, he's not a bad choice outside of the fact that he's an objectively terrible choice based on his record.

This is the trump administration.  The only chance we have is that the virus peters out, like most seem to do, at some point.  I can guaran-fucking-tee you trump and his morons are only working to mitigate the damage to trump, not the U. S. population. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Like 4

Just now, gmr548 said:

"But Biden" is a novel angle. "Both sides" game strong to quite strong. 9/10.

I guess I agree with you in theory that the VP is well positioned to take charge, but Pence isn't just unqualified, he's been proven to be a liability when confronted with the spread of infectious disease. So sure, he's not a bad choice outside of the fact that he's an objectively terrible choice based on his record.

Wasn’t trying for both sides just showing that typically VPs aren’t rocket scientists. 
Pence again is a bad choice. My point is that someone above agency head level should probably lead effort. 

Challenge is frankly we aren’t equipped to handle a domestic crisis like this. We have built a “blame someone” engine. I don’t fault President for trying to calm fears, would you rather he trigger a panic?  I can’t stand Trump but I think he’s in no win spot: as I don’t think US will ever go along with the measures of quarantine it would take to potentially halt spread. 

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

you guys seem to have a hard time with the notion that Democrats in Congress should be brought into the fold on this effort. 

Why should the Dems expect the gop to act in good faith on this issue when they have demonstrated over the last decade that they will always inject private interests into the mix?

It's not that we don't think it shouldnt be a bipartisan effort. It's that we believe that ultimately, trump will bulldoze any consensus and the spineless right will bend over and fucking take it, so what's the fucking point?

But you're right, it is much easier to concern troll and feign the belief that this situation would be any different

• Like 6

I don’t fault President for trying to calm fears, would you rather he trigger a panic?  

Lying about what's happening and creation of a vaccine is hardly quelling a panic. Hell, I'm far more worried now that it's insanely obvious no one in charge has the first fucking clue and there's absolutely no plan in place to deal with this
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Why should the Dems expect the gop to act in good faith on this issue when they have demonstrated over the last decade that they will always inject private interests into the mix?

It's not that we don't think it shouldnt be a bipartisan effort. It's that we believe that ultimately, trump will bulldoze any consensus and the spineless right will bend over and fucking take it, so what's the fucking point?

But you're right, it is much easier to concern troll and feign the belief that this situation would be any different

So you are going to whine no matter how it is handled. Got it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I’m speaking of having VP lead in that light as proxy for someone above agency fray. Unfortunately Pence is not guy for this. 

I'd like to think McRaven could do it; a medical background would be/have been nice but mostly being able to listen, assess, and implement are the skills IMO that are useful. If a VP was intelligent and capable, then sure the position might be able to tackle it w/o being apart of the inter agency landmines, but Pence is particularly unspectacular and dangerous.

If there is a committee I have my doubts it would be bipartisan due to our Administration. During the House Inquiry, Brad Wenstrup (R) kept reminding us of his service and his medical degree. Having a podiatrist Trump supporter such as him on a Committee for Infectious Diseases will help when Americans need to run away from infectious people. Raul Ruiz (D), from California, is a former ER physician who attended UCLA and Harvard. I think I prefer him but I can guess who would be consulted and probably picked.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Addition
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'd like to think McRaven could do it; a medical background would be/have been nice but mostly being able to listen, assess, and implement are the skills IMO that are useful. If a VP was intelligent and capable, then sure the position might be able to tackle it w/o being apart of the inter agency landmines, but Pence is particularly unspectacular and dangerous.

I think that this is right.  You don't necessarily need a physician in that role.  You need somebody who is able to engage in a meaningful way with the experts, knows their own limitations, and knows how to massage the bureaucracy.  Pence will spend most of his time thinking about penis. 

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think that this is right.  You don't necessarily need a physician in that role.  You need somebody who is able to engage in a meaningful way with the experts, knows their own limitations, and knows how to massage the bureaucracy.  Pence will spend most of his time thinking about penis. 

That and looking over his shoulder for Mother and Trump.

I like that Pence is in charge...  so far the heads of other states (countries) that are responsible for Coronavirus containment have all contracted the disease.

Hot Mike handshakes all around!

Edited by Loco
bottom mike
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

This is the trump administration.  The only chance we have is that the virus peters out, like most seem to do, at some point.  I can guaran-fucking-tee you trump and his morons are only working to mitigate the damage to trump, not the U. S. population. 

Would be amazing if a denial of basic facts and science is what took these clowns down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

Would be amazing if a denial of basic facts and science is what took these clowns down.

It would, but sadly it usually doesn't work that way. The populace suffers and the regime places the blame elsewhere. Your scenario might work in this case because things may spiral out of control globally so that the whammy of illness, death, and economic suffering bring about a desire for change. But this is the first populist cult leader who has consolidated power and government to the point that America is heading into an area of uncertainty. If Trump fires the CDC spokesperson from the conference call (the one that Rush et al are calling out), then I think things will get truly bad.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

If there is a committee I have my doubts it would be bipartisan due to our Administration. During the House Inquiry, Brad Wenstrup (R) kept reminding us of his service and his medical degree. Having a podiatrist Trump supporter such as him on a Committee for Infectious Diseases will help when Americans need to run away from infectious people. Raul Ruiz (D), from California, is a former ER physician who attended UCLA and Harvard. I think I prefer him but I can guess who would be consulted and probably picked.

Not sure why you guys are even discussing qualifications when Trump only has one.  Is he loyal to Trump above everything else?  If it wasnt Pence it would just be one of the cartoon characters from the impeachment.    

10 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

That's a good article.  An interesting part about the development of a vaccine:

Last week he said that the process of vaccine development was proving “very difficult and very frustrating.” For all the advances in basic science, the process cannot proceed to an actual vaccine without extensive clinical testing, which requires manufacturing many vaccines and meticulously monitoring outcomes in people. The process could ultimately cost hundreds of millions of dollars—money that the NIH, start-ups, and universities don’t have. Nor do they have the production facilities and technology to mass-manufacture and distribute a vaccine.

The bold is notable for those that occasionally propose that pharma be abolished in favor of academic research.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk