Putin soon to be elected Mayor of Seattle

Viper

coming in second is Pepe the Frog and third is Reveille 

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/22/798126153/exclusive-seattle-area-voters-to-vote-by-smartphone-in-1st-for-u-s-elections

Exclusive: Seattle-Area Voters To Vote By Smartphone In 1st For U.S. Elections

A district encompassing Greater Seattle is set to become the first in which every voter can cast a ballot using a smartphone — a historic moment for American democracy.

The King Conservation District, a state environmental agency that encompasses Seattle and more than 30 other cities, is scheduled to detail the plan at a news conference on Wednesday. About 1.2 million eligible voters could take part.

NPR is first to report the story.

The new technology will be used for a board of supervisors election, and ballots will be accepted from Wednesday through election day on Feb. 11.

"This is the most fundamentally transformative reform you can do in democracy," said Bradley Tusk, the founder and CEO of Tusk Philanthropies, a nonprofit aimed at expanding mobile voting that is funding the King County pilot.

But the move is sure to polarize the elections community as democracy-watchers across the country debate the age-old push-and-pull between voting access and voting security.The U.S. trails most developed democracies when it comes to its election turnout rate, and local races typically lag far behind presidential November elections.

The board of supervisors election in the King Conservation District, for example, in past years has drawn less than 1% of the eligible population to the ballot box.

Tusk says low turnout contributes to dysfunction in government because candidates aren't forced to craft positions that represent the entire population.

"If you can use technology to exponentially increase turnout, then that will ultimately dictate how politicians behave on every issue," he said.

Edited by Viper

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tens of millions of Americans bank on their phones/tablets.  Transfer funds, make payments, deposit checks, do credit checks, use their iPads as portable point-of-sale terminals, etc.

Can't be any worse than the system we currently have.

giphy.gif

Hack my bank account, steal money from me.

Hack the election, steal the election from EVERYONE.

Proven vulnerability + incredibly high ROI.....yeah, NOPE.

Shit, I'm pretty close to the point of opposing any and all computerized voting altogether.  Paper.  Really hard to hack paper.  Even if it's computer counted paper (scantrons), we can do a hand audit to verify.  

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

giphy.gif

Shit, I'm pretty close to the point of opposing any and all computerized voting altogether.  Paper.  Really hard to hack paper.  Even if it's computer counted paper (scantrons), we can do a hand audit to verify.  

This.  Capital One can't even keep the hackers out.  I find it hard to believe public sector employees are going to do better for something like this.  

We should be making it harder to vote, not easier.  I would be in favor of letting people use smart phones to vote if the voting app had some kind of test you had to pass before you could vote.  Maybe like a simple geography test where you had to point out all seven continents on a map or something. That right there would eliminate probably 75% of Americans from being able to vote.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

giphy.gif

Silly Brisket. The point is not accountability. The point is to route all human interactions through silently tapping on phones. Talking is dangerous. Meeting someone's gaze, possibly fatal. Only the phone is safe. Excuse me while I charge mine, otherwise I won't be able to drive home.

52 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I say we let everybody vote-- dogs, babies, people who do cosplay. All of em vote, no ID bullshit either.

Then we gentlemen down at the club agree on who should win, and we tell em who just won.

That is close to current reality.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

giphy.gif

The problem with computerized voting is the lack of a paper trail. It’s fairly easy to hack paper ballots and the scanning equipment used to tabulate it. Especially when proxies are involved. People just stuff the ballot box with unwanted proxies from their neighbors or make ballot copies. Electronic voting does not increase voter turnout in the slightest. If people want to vote, they’ll vote.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I think voting should be done at strip joints and only after the potential voter pays for 2 drinks and a lap dance. I don't know who this would eliminate from the voting ranks but at least I can get fucked by someone I want.

Only if they put the voting booths in the champagne room

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, texasjacket said:

Why is the worry about hacking? I mean we don't even require ID or proof of citizenship to vote now. We have removed every restriction on who is allow to vote.

Where has there ever been an ID requirement to vote that has been removed? For most of our nation's history there wasn't even such a thing as a photo ID. 

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

giphy.gif

Agree. And the problem with smartphone security is not the technology, it's the human user element. As long as people will stupidly click on email links that say "Here is the file I promised you" from a name they've never heard of at an email address of hg4&ggft@phishing.ru then all the technology in the world won't protect us.