Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

23 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'd be all over a Henry Rollins talk show. 

Rollins has a podcast but it is mainly about music and Rollins. I can't imagine him doing a talk show because he tends to be the one that usually talks about his experiences and insights rather than asking the questions and listening.

4 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Yeah, not the best argument, but in the end he said I don't care if you smoke.

Yes, that’s what is known as an “out.” He clearly has absolutely no idea what he’s talking about, which is also true for every other political issue on which he’s opined.  

4 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Yes, that’s what is known as an “out.” He clearly has absolutely no idea what he’s talking about, which is also true for every other political issue on which he’s opined.  

Oh, so you believe that there is only one side of opinion, but in the end doesn't care if someone does it anyways?

21 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Oh, so you believe that there is only one side of opinion, but in the end doesn't care if someone does it anyways?

The marijuana issue isn’t about opinions, it’s about facts. People like Crowder are not willing to acknowledge those, which is why he offers insipid outs like “I don’t care” as a means to hedge his bet. 

Everything he said about marijuana was absolutely wrong. He tried to defend it with these ridiculous points about the 7 chemical compounds, but he refused to address Rogan’s central point, which was that the pharmaceutical lobby absolutely has an interest in keep marijuana illegal.

He cites the magic “7 chemical compounds and which were patented,” and that does nothing whatsoever to undercut Rogan’s point that you cannot patent weed itself. And he’s right; that’s never going to fly in a patent court. Crowder is using a red herring to justify his position, which again he conveniently offers the out that “I don’t care.”

He says what really grinds his gears about the issue is the lying in favor of legalization. First of all, as far as mainstream discourse, that’s complete crap. Second, the lying that’s been done on marijuana (and drugs in general) has been overwhelmingly made by the Prohibitionist side, it’s not even close, and Crowder can’t be bothered to care. That’s selective outrage in defense of his identity politics. He wants so badly to associate with the right/conservatives/republicans that’s he’s willing to knowingly lie in defense of his lazy-assed rubber stamp “opinions,” which really are just a reflection of his “this is the view of the mainstream of the GOP, therefore it’s my view by default.”

You can tell that he’s even aware of his own dishonesty. When they get to that spot about how impaired driving accidents “spiked” in states that went the route of legalization, he asserts his view strongly, Rogan tells his boy to pull up the Google and Crowder again interrupts with his insipid out that “he doesn’t care.” That’s just him hedging his bet. If the stats turned out to be correct, he gets to say “see, I told you!” And it the stats didn’t support his view, he gets to say “I don’t care.” There’s nothing wise or honorable about that. That’s just chickenshit hackery.

He then tries to raise the argument that “well it’s not as beneficial as turmeric or reduced sugar.” That’s a non sequitur. He’s essentially arguing that “it’s not the best method to treat cancer, therefore it’s bad.” That’s irresponsible, and he knows it.

That entire segment was like watching a root canal. I appreciate your commitment to confusing the issue, though.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Chooky said:

Rogan's format and demeanor is a better way to cover topics and different issues than anything on any cable news network.  I can appreciate that.  I think his stand up is very mediocre.  And he insists on foisting Brendan Schaub's comedy on people.  Schaub can barely even talk.

At the end of the day, Rohan is a friend of Alex Jones, he was a moon landing truther, and he’s given the Qanon dipshits a platform at times.   I don’t mind somebody giving Both Sides a voice, except when one of those sides is looking for lizard people manipulating the stock market to fund their island orgies with underage girls.  

14 hours ago, workswithseed said:

You said that Crowder was being dishonest, I showed you that he noticed he was wrong and he says so in the next video.

He did no such thing. I didn’t say he was just being dishonest about the one small issue he somewhat corrected himself on, which was the traffic fatalities. I said his position on marijuana in general is dishonest, and that part he did not walk back and he specifically said he wouldn’t in that video you posted.

Steven Crowder’s position on marijuana is that it should be illegal. He has yet to make a single, coherent, fact-based argument independent of logical fallacies and/or lies in support of this view. All he’s ever done is flail around parroting bullshit. 

Again, he’s lazy. He takes that position because that’s the position of so-called “conservatives” and when it comes to identity politics, people like him are the absolute worst. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

He did no such thing. I didn’t say he was just being dishonest about the one small issue he somewhat corrected himself on, which was the traffic fatalities. I said his position on marijuana in general is dishonest, and that part he did not walk back and he specifically said he wouldn’t in that video you posted.

Steven Crowder’s position on marijuana is that it should be illegal. He has yet to make a single, coherent, fact-based argument independent of logical fallacies and/or lies in support of this view. All he’s ever done is flail around parroting bullshit. 

Again, he’s lazy. He takes that position because that’s the position of so-called “conservatives” and when it comes to identity politics, people like him are the absolute worst. 

So he has lightened up and gave some ground to marijuana, and you say as much. Here he even says that it has good medical benefits, so he's giving more ground to it.

You can believe that he's only citing the worst of the worst cites, but he has changed his stance since the Joe show.

This all started with someone saying that Joe always agree with his guest, I showed that it's not always the case. We weren't discussing his identity politics.

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

So he has lightened up and gave some ground to marijuana, and you say as much. Here he even says that it has good medical benefits, so he's giving more ground to it.

You can believe that he's only citing the worst of the worst cites, but he has changed his stance since the Joe show.

This all started with someone saying that Joe always agree with his guest, I showed that it's not always the case. We weren't discussing his identity politics.

No, this started with you asking where he was wrong. And by the way, his full-of-shittery isn't confined to arguments he had with Joe Rogan about marijuana. Pick your issue and you'll see the same problems.

And even this video isn't really helping you because he still doesn't retreat from his bottom line position. "Lightening up and giving ground" means less than a drop of batshit if your bottom line position remains. At which point in this video, or any others, does he unambiguously state that he's now in favor of marijuana legalization? And at what point did he stop invoking strawman arguments against those who favor legalization?

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

At the end of the day, Rohan is a friend of Alex Jones, he was a moon landing truther, and he’s given the Qanon dipshits a platform at times.   I don’t mind somebody giving Both Sides a voice, except when one of those sides is looking for lizard people manipulating the stock market to fund their island orgies with underage girls.  

yeah, this video really tells me all i need to know about rogan, and i appreciated his work in exposing carlos mencia as a joke stealer.

23 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

No, this started with you asking where he was wrong. And by the way, his full-of-shittery isn't confined to arguments he had with Joe Rogan about marijuana. Pick your issue and you'll see the same problems.

And even this video isn't really helping you because he still doesn't retreat from his bottom line position. "Lightening up and giving ground" means less than a drop of batshit if your bottom line position remains. At which point in this video, or any others, does he unambiguously state that he's now in favor of marijuana legalization? And at what point did he stop invoking strawman arguments against those who favor legalization?

At what point did he say you shouldn't smoke marijuana?

He States risks, and that's all.

Rogan is what he is - a shitty comedian with a massive podcast that has entertaining content from time to time.  I skip the MMA stuff and wish he didn't have assholes like Alex Jones on, but I do find many of his other guests to be entertaining and informative.  He has a very diverse following and maybe his support of Bernie will open a few minds among the Monster/MMA bros that listen to him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’ve only listened to Rogan a few times. One time he had a bow hunter on. The guy looked like an Instagram influencer. Him and Rogan spent most of the time talking about how awesome and manly Trump Jr was. It was weird and obviously some strange promotional thing. 

Guests that I've enjoyed recently:

-Boyan Slat (Cleaning Pacific garbage patch)

-Sebastian Junger (Cherokee Indian expert)

-Glenn Villeneuve (Lived off the grid in the Alaskan wilderness)

-Bob Lazar (Worked at Area 51)

-Cmdr. David Fravor - (Top Gun Navy pilot w/ alien encounter)

You just have to know what you get with Rogan.  He's going to shill a bunch of shitty products, ask the guest about DMT and might get baked during the recording.  I spend a ton of time in the car and he's one of the podcasts that help me pass the time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Guests that I've enjoyed recently:

-Boyan Slat (Cleaning Pacific garbage patch)

-Sebastian Junger (Cherokee Indian expert)

-Glenn Villeneuve (Lived off the grid in the Alaskan wilderness)

-Bob Lazar (Worked at Area 51)

-Cmdr. David Fravor - (Top Gun Navy pilot w/ alien encounter)

You just have to know what you get with Rogan.  He's going to shill a bunch of shitty products, ask the guest about DMT and might get baked during the recording.  I spend a ton of time in the car and he's one of the podcasts that help me pass the time.

He’s also going to put a microphone in front of a parade of crackpots and add nothing more than an occasional credulous “Uh-huh” or “That’s interesting.”  

On 1/28/2020 at 7:44 AM, The Royal We said:

Rogan is what he is - a shitty comedian 

Maybe today, I don't know, but he was hilarious at cap city about 10 years ago. Really good at interacting with the crowd. I've seen a lot of comedians at cap city. I expected him to be shitty, but he was arguably the funniest. 

Edited by B00M
This might say more about cap city than Rogan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, B00M said:

Maybe today, I don't know, but he was hilarious at cap city about 10 years ago. Really good at interacting with the crowd. I've seen a lot of comedians at cap city. I expected him to be shitty, but he was arguably the funniest. 

One of his specials was good. There's nothing unique at all in his standup as far as having an original voice. He's definitely not the worst. Seeing him try to crowbar Brendan Schaub into the comedy world is easily the funniest thing he has ever done. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah. He supports Trump in the oddest fucking ways sometimes. I in general like the guy, but he should stick to shooting the shit with guys like Bill Burr and those random ass historians and scientists he finds. It’s fucking annoying listening to his stupid ass theories like the one above 

• 3 months later...

Joe has some good long form interviews, and he has some extremely bad ones.

a problem of listening to someone that creates multi hour content several times per week, is that they will say something wrong unless their are extremely diligent with show prep and fact checking. As an example, if he says left wing people are arrested for starting forest fires, someone should immediately fact check it. Was their left politics the motivation or not? Then add an onscreen fact check on the video.

I imagine the rogan and others like him will defend themselves in that listeners should do their own due diligence or fact checking. But listeners will repeat his unsubstantiated claims because they assume he does have the facts and he doesn’t remind them that he doesn’t.

Now that he works for a public company, he should be faced with pressure to adhere to some level of standards. The money is there to do a better job.

6 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I can’t imagine what kind of simpleton you are to regularly listen to JOE ROGAN.  

One step below Q tards 

In 2018 and 19 he was a pretty good listen depending on the guest. Like a week after we shut down he started talking about covid and his opinion on it was....uninspiring. That and him constantly shitting on Biden cause he’s “too old” while defending trump anytime he brings him up and yeah. Stopped listening. Though Bill Burr was apparently on there a few weeks ago. May fire up that episode