Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

I really do wish Rogan would stop platforming dipshits, because he actually has some remarkably good interviews when he's just talking to cool people like Forrest Galante (wildlife biologist), Brian Cox (theoretical physicist), Trevor Valle (paleontologist), Neil DeGrasse Tyson, etc. I honestly don't think he is malicious in any way, he just goes WAY too far out of his way to appear impartial by letting these wackadoo motherfuckers on his show all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

I don't expect you to respond because your MO is to post lies, get called on them, and disappear only to return days or weeks later with new lies. Here's a list of entities that super tough, rugged conservatives have silenced or attempted to silence:

The Dixie Chicks

The NFL

The NBA

Lebron James

The 1619 Project

Nike (conservatives literally burning their own property)

Goodyear Tires

Macy's (because they stopped carrying Trump's clothing brand)

Keuring Coffee makers

Taylor Swift

Collin Kapernick

The President of the United States (I shouldn't have to explain to you why he's held to a different standard than random "woke" twitter personalities) has called for the FIRING of the following people: Dave Weigel, Paul Krugman, Chuck Todd, Joe Lockhart, Chris Cumuo, Joy Reid, Fox News Pollsters, and the entire WSJ editorial board, simply because they were mean to him. Those individuals were then relentlessly attacked and threatened by his supporters.

The President, and his sycophantic supporters, have repeatedly said they would like courts to reinterpret the first amendment to make it easier to stifle speech they don't like.

You're going to come here and try to lecture people about threats to Freedom of speech?

You're either too stupid to understand, or you're intentionally trying to mislead. Either way, take it somewhere else, you fucking clown.

Not one of the people or businesses listed has been canceled or fired or “deplatformed”. 

Rogan runs a shock jock radio show with shocking guests and you want him fired from Spotify because you can’t handle the guest. 

How is this any different from blaming violence on video games or lyrics in music?  

You can try to make it more than it is with your lengthy histrionics, that’s fine, but we have gone back to the 50s where rock and roll on the radio will kill us all. But make it about Trump and conservatives. Jones has been displaying his public insanity since the 90s through various sources of media print and TV, but now on a podcast he is a threat to the republic. Smdh

12 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Not one of the people or businesses listed has been canceled or fired or “deplatformed”. 

Rogan runs a shock jock radio show with shocking guests and you want him fired from Spotify because you can’t handle the guest. 

How is this any different from blaming violence on video games or lyrics in music?  

You can try to make it more than it is with your lengthy histrionics, that’s fine, but we have gone back to the 50s where rock and roll on the radio will kill us all. But make it about Trump and conservatives. Jones has been displaying his public insanity since the 90s through various sources of media print and TV, but now on a podcast he is a threat to the republic. 

Trump and his fans calling for people to be silenced is different than libs calling for people to be silenced because? 

*besides the obvious point that one is the president

You can try to make it more than it is with your lengthy histrionics, that’s fine, but we have gone back to the 50s where rock and roll on the radio will kill us all. But make it about Trump and conservatives. Jones has been displaying his public insanity since the 90s through various sources of media print and TV, but now on a podcast he is a threat to the republic. Smdh

Not all speech is free, so even if Spotify does or doesn’t take rogan or Jones off that proud boy motherfucker needs to be locked up. Inciting violence is illegal. And white supremacist/nationalists are a real threat. Defending them on free speech grounds won’t get you very far if the law is fairly applied to them.

And if he wants to associate with assholes like that, he deserves all the heat he gets.

It's really remarkable when you think about the current *conservative position as it relates to the 1st amendment: asking for courts to make it easier to sue the press and individuals for publishing items they don't like, while simultaneously demanding that private businesses not be allowed to censur speech.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

And not batting an eye when a white conservative man actively encourages violence whether that man be a proud boy leader online (everyone needs to watch that guy’s video above it’s nauseating and absolutely not free speech) or the head guy in charge.

It’s a private company. They can air what they want. If you don’t like it, you can write the business to complain or stop using said business. I don’t think anyone needs to be “canceled”. That being said, he’s a piece of shit for letting people that incite violence, and poison people’s minds with disinformation and hate. I’m not going to support Rogan or Spotify with my business. 

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Is it "stanning" for someone to say that the person said something true? Or if that person says something true we're suppose to say it's a lie? Honest questions.

Alex Jones himself is old news. He's a lunatic and an idiot. He's emotionally disturbed and a freak and an abusive prick. He's not a necessary or important voice and if he went radio silent today the world would overall be a much better place. He's also not literally wrong about 100% of everything he says.

There's a huge problem when we just let conventional wisdom rule everything without independent thought. Nice liberal groupthink is still groupthink. We shouldn't pretend true statements are false because it violates the agreed-upon list of Good Guys and Bad Guys.

As usual, the hysterical reaction to Rogan seems once again to be a bunch of liberals posturing at each other to see who can cancel the hardest. (And yes, this can be construed as alt.right nonsense, but it's not wrong.)

I find myself agreeing with BT and David Denison more often than not these days. 2020 has broken me

Except he’s wrong. That proud boy video is illegal. He should be arrested. Just like a leftist anarchist saying the same things - you know actively inciting violence would also be violating the law.

I’m not canceling my sub to Spotify they kick the competition’s ass. If I were to have a reason to cancel it’s because they don’t pay artists enough but that’s an industry problem. Carrying rogan? Who cares.

Dipshits inciting violence that crosses over from free speech to unlawful and illegal speech, yeah no. Not a snowflake, a supporter of law and order and some shit like that.

44 minutes ago, troph said:

Except he’s wrong. That proud boy video is illegal. He should be arrested. Just like a leftist anarchist saying the same things - you know actively inciting violence would also be violating the law.

Well I look forward to seeing Rogan's booking photo.

3 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I really do wish Rogan would stop platforming dipshits, because he actually has some remarkably good interviews when he's just talking to cool people like Forrest Galante (wildlife biologist), Brian Cox (theoretical physicist), Trevor Valle (paleontologist), Neil DeGrasse Tyson, etc. I honestly don't think he is malicious in any way, he just goes WAY too far out of his way to appear impartial by letting these wackadoo motherfuckers on his show all the time.

yeah always my thoughts too. I have dove into some of the pop culture things he does just to try and understand what is going on. And I get it. The government is corrupt, the media sucks, and blah blah blah. we get it. 

The problem with SHOCK people in the modern culture war is that they are simply perpetuating the spin. They are negative manpower. Its the same here on the Trump 2020 thread. The perpetual outrage there is just spinning us all faster. but whatever, it surely ain't stopping anytime soon. the best thing we can try to learn is 

get back to some good, narrow shit Joe and stay out of my fucking beach community 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, staboner said:

Whats up with the Free Jizzalaine tshirt?

Either Tim Dillon thinks what Epstein did (and Maxwell abetted) is good and sincerely wants her to suffer no punishment or it's a joke.

I'm assuming the latter.

Remember how much people laughed when the guy here wore a pedobear costume? It's like that. Except that was back before people decided to become massively obtuse moral scolds.

Well I look forward to seeing Rogan's booking photo.

You can’t read. Don’t give a shit about rogan or Spotify carrying him I said that unequivocally. The proud boy guy belongs in jail.

Stop arguing just to argue dumbnut.

Among the other great guests, politically, He's turned me on to people like 

Jimmy Dore, Tim Pool.  Jimmy is a comedian that rags on the left for not being left enough.  Tim Pool says he was left, but has gone right.

I like to hear all sides, and I think Joe does too.

Jimmy actually holds a fire to the left, instead of, we just need to get a democrat in office.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve heard Pool on YouTube a handful of times. I’ve noticed that he can’t handle a conversation of any depth. He makes obscure Point A. Someone explains the other side, if not how Pool is factually wrong. Pool immediately switches to obscure Topic B. He won’t stay on a topic as soon as someone is willing to push back even on a long form discussion that is built to handle that back and forth.

And you’re right in that he claims to be liberal, or maybe he’s one of the “I consider myself classically liberal” types. I would be curious of the source of income as he is more one sided than Fox News. I just scrolled this his last 2 weeks of YouTube vids. The titles alone...

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve heard Pool on YouTube a handful of times. I’ve noticed that he can’t handle a conversation of any depth. He makes obscure Point A. Someone explains the other side, if not how Pool is factually wrong. Pool immediately switches to obscure Topic B. He won’t stay on a topic as soon as someone is willing to push back even on a long form discussion that is built to handle that back and forth.

And you’re right in that he claims to be liberal, or maybe he’s one of the “I consider myself classically liberal” types. I would be curious of the source of income as he is more one sided than Fox News. I just scrolled this his last 2 weeks of YouTube vids. The titles alone...

That's his entire shtick.  He claims to be a leftist and just can't accept them now that they've gone super far-left.  He makes his money off conservatives who eat that shit up.  His takes are an inch deep.

Edited by SpiralOut

On 10/29/2020 at 9:34 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Asked my buddy who is a Rogan fan what he thought of Alex Jones being on the show.  He said he's just a guy with different opinions who has uncovered some good stuff.  Tried to explain that he's just a disinformation spreading piece of shit, but got shouted down by the wife and her friend because I was causing drama.  I'm questioning this friendship.

Wait, your wife? Are you not questioning your marriage as well?

• Hook 'Em 1

The wives were correct.

Those of us whose interactions with Rogan only ever come from drama every 6 months don't really know what the hell that show is because our ONLY touchpoints are those that were designed by our social media algorithms and choices to make us angry. The vast majority of Rogan's episodes are just middle-of-the-road stuff and when more fringey people go on Rogan they cater to the audience. I listened to the Jones episode and... there wasn't much on it that was a big deal. Jones clearly made sure he only went as far as evidence could cover and wasn't the same on Rogan as he would be on Infowars.

So a regular listener hears 90% palaver and 10% envelope-pushing and those of us who only dip in for drama have the absolute inverse experience where 10% of it is just a long-form boring conversation and 90% is drama because that's what we've designed our feed to feed us. To the regular Rogan listeners, we are idiots because we don't actually know the show at all.

Every time this guy comes up I listen to a few episodes and my takeaway is "What? People are mad about this guy?"

On 10/30/2020 at 9:02 PM, bad_teammate said:

Either Tim Dillon thinks what Epstein did (and Maxwell abetted) is good and sincerely wants her to suffer no punishment or it's a joke.

I'm assuming the latter.

Remember how much people laughed when the guy here wore a pedobear costume? It's like that. Except that was back before people decided to become massively obtuse moral scolds.

Tim Dillon is hilarious.  Hates Trump too.  The shirt is an obvious joke.  The fact that people can't recognize that just means they have brain AIDS.

I listened to him for the first time ever the other day after a lady I worked with said I should check out the Matty McC Podcast. I enjoyed it. 90 minutes well spent as I was fighting traffic on a Friday afternoon. 
you couldn’t pay me to listen to Alex Jones under any circumstances. 

On 11/1/2020 at 5:43 AM, BNB said:

Jimmy is a comedian that rags on the left for not being left enough. 

Jimmy Dore is the guy what's-his-name used to post YouTube's (journalism alert) of on the Media Bias thread that would go from eyebrow-raising fishtail to 90 mph plow into a bridge abutment within the span of 2 posts. 

YouTube is so much fucking worse than any other social media cuz it appeals to morons super-swayed by tone (which your semi-toddler dog would, if he could tell you, is 90 percent of the msg) like It's-Still-Real-To-Me-Dammit! Guy. 

Almost nothing of what is being said or failing to make sense means anything.

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Mean he's a cage fight commentator / comedian / podcaster. Don't think Rogan claims to be an intellectual. 

Rogan isn't an intellectual just like how trump isn't presidential. It doesn't matter that he's the antithesis of it, but he's become the face of that to the chud demographic

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Mean he's a cage fight commentator / comedian / podcaster. Don't think Rogan claims to be an intellectual. 

He’s a member of the Intellectual Dark Web. I haven’t seen him disavow that title. In this discussion, he’s somewhat self-deprecating about being part of the IDW but never says he doesn’t belong or that he’s not an intellectual:

• 1 month later...

Joe Rogan in April 2020:

“I’d rather vote for Trump than [Biden],” said Rogan. “I don’t think [Biden] can handle anything. You’re relying entirely on his cabinet. If you want to talk about an individual leader who can communicate, he can’t do that. And we don’t know what the fuck he’ll be like after a year in office.

“The pressure of being president of the United States is something that no one has ever prepared for. The only one who seems to be fine with it is Trump, oddly enough.”

Now, after an attempted coup on the United States by lunatic insurrectionists loyal to Donald Trump, the latest from Rogan on Twitter is this toxic positivity retweet from someone I've never heard of:

Rogan is an idiot. That’s why he’s always just asking questions, because he doesn’t understand the history or nuances of the subject or the implications of his questions. Idiocy is manipulated by taking common sense positions like “Censorship is bad”, and using these narratives to foster division for control and power. 

Censorship is bad. True. By not all the time. There is a reason you’re not allowed to yell fire in a theatre. These cases have been decided in the Supreme Court. Yes, free speech is great and should not be limited...most of the time, but free speech can be limited for good reason. Free speech does not mean free from consequences. Free speech does not mean a private company can’t block you for breaching their terms of service. 

But back to that tweet, it’s the same type of simple message used to manipulate. Spread Love, not hate. Everyone would agree with that, but at the same time he said social media and news media are being paid to sow division. One could make an argument that is true. Twitter, FB, have algorithms for feedback loops that reinforce your worldview. That is division. Fox News is being paid to sow division. They spread lies. So what he is saying is true, but now the issue is the context and the generality of the tweet. The President was just banned from Twitter. Is he saying Twitter banning Trump is sowing division? Some will take it that way. He didn’t specify Fox News, he said news media, implying all news media. Is NPR sowing division? Really? But this also brings up the issue with limiting your message to 280 characters. 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Rogan aside, I don’t see anything horrifying in that tweet from whoever that is. Am I missing something?

It's the radio silence from him so far on these events coupled with him retweeting a thinly veiled offshoot, to my eyes at least, of bothsideritis. That pointless tweet is as meaningful as saying "oatmeal! freedom!" and it also ignores the legitimate concerns many of us have warned about with the online radicalization of the far right and those followers of QAnon and Alex Jones. Rogan thinks people like Alex Jones are cool, and now we know that Alex Jones helped fund this shit. 

And what does Joe Rogan tweet about now? Let's all love each other. Gimme a fucking break. 

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Joe Rogan in April 2020:

“I’d rather vote for Trump than [Biden],” said Rogan. “I don’t think [Biden] can handle anything. You’re relying entirely on his cabinet. If you want to talk about an individual leader who can communicate, he can’t do that. And we don’t know what the fuck he’ll be like after a year in office.

“The pressure of being president of the United States is something that no one has ever prepared for. The only one who seems to be fine with it is Trump, oddly enough.”

Now, after an attempted coup on the United States by lunatic insurrectionists loyal to Donald Trump, the latest from Rogan on Twitter is this toxic positivity retweet from someone I've never heard of:

He's an MIT AI researcher.  Pretty sharp guy.  He was born and lived in Russia till college. PHD in Philosophy as well.